• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

I quite like this game, but I've died a lot. Mostly due to the parts where you have to switch to first person on bosses, or to do the Concentration thing...

My pointer keeps lodging itself to the side of the screen, making Samus spin on the spot. Is it my sensor bar? It does this on stuff like Red Steel too, where sometimes the pointer just goes haywire.

Instro

Android18a said:
I quite like this game, but I've died a lot. Mostly due to the parts where you have to switch to first person on bosses, or to do the Concentration thing...

My pointer keeps lodging itself to the side of the screen, making Samus spin on the spot. Is it my sensor bar? It does this on stuff like Red Steel too, where sometimes the pointer just goes haywire.

Could be that you have some extra light sources in the room that are messing up the infrared.

I fucking loving this game after just beat the first
Ridley, well the first real ridley, not his two pre evolutions
I though the intro was awesome, the best
Ridley theme
and the fight marvelous, so fucking epic.

Im not bother with the textures, im not bother right now with the story telling, I thing the gameplay and controls are fatastic, and so many items I dont even know how to get the yet.
Is Fusion in 3D and after beating it again, a few days before, Fusion I really like the direction of the game.
If they bring another Metroid like this I will be a happy man
fuck the haters

But please, take the over the shoulder parts, thats the only bad thing I can think about the game, and the music, that other a couple of tracks mostly during the intros, its too atmospheric for my liking, not that I hate them, they are not bad, but it would be awesome to hear catchy tunes.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
As has been said previously, now that I finished the main game/story, my verdict is good game (except for the horrible 1st person investigation nonsense), horrible story.

XenoRaven

Stallion Free said:
Fuck that boss who
has all the metroids with him. It's pissing me off so much.
You don't need the charge beam to freeze the Metroids. But keep it handy in case they're all clustered together. The diffusion beam will freeze all or most of them. If it doesn't get all of them, usually the one it didn't get will be further away. Should give you enough time to hit one of the frozen ones two to three times.

EDIT: Note to self. "Spolier" isn't a word and will not help you get black bars over your text.

Ramirez

hatchx said:
It's a tough game if you aren't good at it.

:lol

Give me a break, I was trying to dodge the stuff on my own, but then later found out when I faced him for the 2nd and 3rd time all you have to do is spam the d-pad and you'll dodge everyone of his attacks.

How much longer do I got?
just found out Adam is over the whole project

Game doesn't even come close to the Prime series for me, overall disappointing thus far. The bosses have been fun, but pretty easy.

Yen

Never played a metroid game. Would playing the Prime series and then this be a wise idea or do I need to play SNES/NES games?

Phenomic

timnich said:
Anyone else shooting at doors unnecessarily?

I did this all game that was the one thing I missed the most that was different from previous titles. They need to bring that back for next time it felt unlike a Metroid title without this in a way.

Poyunch

timnich said:
All the time. :lol Yeah the little touches they removed like the doors. items after killing enemies, and the item finding tune were missed.

RagnarokX said:
Well, just think about it. If you hired an experienced security officer who used to be a police officer for a party you are are throwing, wouldn't you be disappointed if he or she followed your orders instead of roaming around your house randomly blowing up rooms and killing guests?
Destroying precious heirlooms and innocent bystanders in the process.

Stallion Free said:
Fuck that boss who
has all the metroids with him. It's pissing me off so much.
dodge counter charge shot to freeze 'em

Replaying fusion and spamming shots seems to be more effective and more true to in Other M, for a long time I thought charged shots were the best
screwattack makes that pretty useless

KevinCow

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Even if we do get another first-person Metroid (which is likely sometime in the distant future given even Other M has elements of it), why would it be called Prime? Metroid Prime is dead.

Maybe... you play as Metroid Prime. :eek:

And it'll take place between Prime and Echoes. And there will be two sequels, which also take place between Prime and Echoes. Yes, it will be an interquel trilogy inside an interquel trilogy.

But seriously, I don't care if it's called Prime or not, I really do hope that Corruption wasn't the last we'll see of that style of Metroid games. I loved the atmosphere, environments, gameplay, pacing, scanning... pretty much everything about them, and there's not really anything else out there quite like them. I wouldn't mind waiting a little while to get another one, though. In fact, I'd prefer it. I'd love to see what they could do with some upgraded power.

One thing I hope they do with the series, regardless of whether it goes Prime or 2D or Other M or some other new style, is they really need to come up with some new power-ups. That's probably my biggest gripe with the series. The most interesting new power-up we've seen since the series revival with Prime and Fusion was probably the Boost Ball. And that was from Prime, 8 years ago (holy shit has it been that long).

Item spoilers ahead

I'm glad they included the speed booster, but one thing that was a bit irritating was the fact that it wasn't really momentum based at all. You pretty much had to run in a straight line(or arc, depending on area design) with little to know variation in order to activate it. Jumping, shooting or anything else would break it. I really enjoyed how it was all momentum in Super Metroid, and so long as you understood how the momentum worked, you had a bit of flexibility with the speed boost activation and shine spark. Also, I wish you could use the Space Jump/Screw Attack for vertical flight as well as crossing big distances. If you could, then I just didn't do it right :lol

Not really holding it against the game at all, but it was just a bit annoying on a purist level and nothing more. They both functioned fine for its intended purposes.

Boney

Banned
Ramirez said:
:lol

Give me a break, I was trying to dodge the stuff on my own, but then later found out when I faced him for the 2nd and 3rd time all you have to do is spam the d-pad and you'll dodge everyone of his attacks.

How much longer do I got?
just found out Adam is over the whole project

Game doesn't even come close to the Prime series for me, overall disappointing thus far. The bosses have been fun, but pretty easy.
You're like 60% in.

Man I don't know.. I've been watching my brother play and although he's dodging, firing missiles and stuff, he kinda sucks, he doesn't have that rhythm I had playing, so maybe that's why you guys might not be enjoying it as much.

I don't know, to me it's one of the best Metroid games, and Metroid might be my favourite series ever, especially the 2d ones.

I have finished Other M with 100% items. I had not planned on doing yet more writing on Metroid for a while after my Looking Back series ended but I find I have a lot to say about Other M. Expect an in depth article sooner than later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
timnich said:

Took me a good hour or two to realise I didn't have to.

Bizzyb

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
All the time. :lol Yeah they little touches they removed like the doors. items after killing enemies, and the item finding tune were missed.

It's like Playing a Zelda game and not having keys to open locked dungeon doors, hearts not popping out of defeated enemies, and not hearing the "Zelda Tune" after solving a puzzle. Even the iconic music that's played when you start a game seems really dull and washed out.

It's like they said, "Hmm, what can we take out of this game that made the Metroid series iconic?"

DragonGirl said:
I have finished Other M with 100% items. I had not planned on doing yet more writing on Metroid for a while after my Looking Back series ended but I find I have a lot to say about Other M. Expect an in depth article sooner than later.
Very cool - I look forward to it.

Jethro

My Wii fails to read the disc. Shitty Firmware Update 4.2. Time to send my Wii in for repair -_-. Thank you so much for destroying my Weekend.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
got it today in the post loving it so far but to prove how much I such I am stuck already any on
The part where you walk into the room with the killed researcher and the plants samus says she feels something evil is watching, it seals of the door after that and I cannot get any further as stuck near a door that needs super missles and a tank with a spikey creature in it, did i break the game or missing something?
advice gaffers?

Boney

Banned
jufonuk said:
got it today in the post loving it so far but to prove how much I such I am stuck already any on
The part where you walk into the room with the killed researcher and the plants samus says she feels something evil is watching, it seals of the door after that and I cannot get any further as stuck near a door that needs super missles and a tank with a spikey creature in it, did i break the game or missing something?
advice gaffers?
break the tank with the creature

jufonuk said:
advice gaffers?
Shoot the tank and use the morphball.

kiryogi

Banned
abstract alien said:
Item spoilers ahead

I'm glad they included the speed booster, but one thing that was a bit irritating was the fact that it wasn't really momentum based at all. You pretty much had to run in a straight line(or arc, depending on area design) with little to know variation in order to activate it. Jumping, shooting or anything else would break it. I really enjoyed how it was all momentum in Super Metroid, and so long as you understood how the momentum worked, you had a bit of flexibility with the speed boost activation and shine spark. Also, I wish you could use the Space Jump/Screw Attack for vertical flight as well as crossing big distances. If you could, then I just didn't do it right :lol

Not really holding it against the game at all, but it was just a bit annoying on a purist level and nothing more. They both functioned fine for its intended purposes.

Shinesparking has been that way since Fusion. Since the removal of the run button.

MechaX

abstract alien said:
Item spoilers ahead

While this doesn't 100% pertain to your point, the discussion of this item brings me back to a point I was pondering on during the game. This was something I thought Shadow Complex handled extremely well. (Item Spoilers)
In that game, the Speed Booster was activated by momentum regardless of whether you were on the ground or even in the air. Plus, Shadow Complex, even though it did not have shinesparking, built upon the basic concept of the Speed Booster seen in Super/Zero Mission/Fusion which requires the combination of that with jumps and what-not. In terms of Shinesparking, I admit that trying to put in the complexity of sustaining shinesparking via ramps like in Fusion and Zero would have been tremendously difficult to do in 3D, which is probably why the shinesparking aspect was so simplistic here. But I was wondering why Other M didn't take notice to the things that Shadow Complex did new with the Speed Boost, like puzzles involving running up walls, keeping your boost while switching between running up one wall and another, running along water, etc.

Kard8p3

abstract alien said:
Item spoilers ahead

yeah when it comes to the speed booster they went the fusion/zero mission way as opposed to the Super way. I thought it worked great though.

Kard8p3

Prime Blue said:
I wonder...would the story have seen much less complaints if this had actually been a prequel to the original Metroid?

Some have said it would fit better as a prequel to the original metroid but I'm betting they'd still complain anyway.

Penguin

abstract alien said:
Item spoilers ahead

Wait
Shooting doesn't prevent you from doing it? As long as you are running and gunning the momentum continues.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow, the Art Gallery either scales using dark magic or is actually like 1080p or higher:

dolphin2010-09-0416-19f5za.jpg

dolphin2010-09-0416-19yuqu.jpg

Jethro said:
My Wii fails to read the disc. Shitty Firmware Update 4.2. Time to send my Wii in for repair -_-. Thank you so much for destroying my Weekend.
Same exact thing happened to me the first few times I tried to boot it up. I took it as an omen of what was to come.

Poyunch

Boney said:
That picture is like Samus at 13 I guess and him like 20.

Samus grows a lot from that, still smallerthan Anthony though..
I'm just saying
Look at the cutscene with Samus and MB or Margaret. Samus definitely towers over the two. Then look at the last scene with Adam and Samus. He's towering over her.

But the varia suit is just a recolor of the power suit. It has no other additions like it's supposed to.

smsamusta1.jpg

Shoulder things and what not. Also in other m the barrel of the gun is way too narrow. It looks silly.

Top Bottom