• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Teknoman

I really wish manuals had boss descriptions like back in the day. How will we know what the bosses in Other M are called? Because i'm already a fan of the first Fire sector boss at
the top of the volcano

wsippel

Banned
Am I the only one who loved the scene
when you enter Sector 0? Not talking about the cutscene with Adam, but the way the whole section comes to live while you enter, with the lights turning on along the path and the unusual camera perspective? One of the most atmospheric moments in the game, in my opinion - especially because there are no enemies. Very effective music as well. And the entrance to Sector 0 was a really great, well designed locale as well. It looked as sterile as menacing.

On a different note, Nightmare was the most awesome boss in Other M. So well presented, and so god damn ugly.

Kard8p3

Teknoman said:
I really wish manuals had boss descriptions like back in the day. How will we know what the bosses in Other M are called? Because i'm already a fan of the first Fire sector boss at
the top of the volcano

Someone at the metroid database picked up a guide for this game and listed the enemy names that weren't known

Fire geemers=Sovas
Fire Reos=Mellas
Ice Reos=Himellas
Green super sidehopper=Barisutes
Ice wolf=Volfons
Exploding Sentry bots in secter 2=Joulians
Venus Fly trap=Gripper and poisen gripper
Shegoth thing=Gigafraugs
Worm in secter 3= Sandfang
Dancing lightning dudes=Kyratians
Lava men=Magdolites
Tentacle plants=Frondanas
Diffusion beam minibosses=FG-1000
Powr bomb only guys from end= Desbrachians
Tree horse/spider (?)= Groganch
Phantoon wannbes in secter 2 = Fumbleye
seeker miniboss = Rhedogian
Flat crab dude= Asborean

Prple bug boss = Brug Mass
Worm pair = Namihe and Fune
Volcano boss = Goyagma
Lava fish boss = Vorash

wsippel said:
when you enter Sector 0? Not talking about the cutscene with Adam, but the way the whole section comes to live while you enter, with the lights turning on along the path and the unusual camera perspective? One of the most atmospheric moments in the game, in my opinion - especially because there are no enemies. Very effective music as well. And the entrance to Sector 0 was a really great, well designed locale as well. It looked as sterile as menacing.

yeah loved that part. I love how it'll cut to the perspective of the infant metroid and as you said the music was very effective in that scene.

wsippel said:
Goddamn cocktease. Still super awesome though.

Boney

Banned
And man, as for the game mechanics apart from Waldo and behind the shoulders being too slow, it's all brilliant and elegantly designed.

It's an action game which is very easy to play. But also, it's a 3d game that plays like a 2d game, that is it's biggest acomplishment for me. It encapsulates many of the elements from the old 2d games. Small bugs from the ceiling, agility, platforming and item gathering.

Combat feels fast, dynamic and satisfying. A combination of regular shots to slow down enemies, charge shots to stun them, missiles to wear them down and overblasts and lethal strikes to finish them of makes it a fantastic set of tools. Not to mention the sense move, that although it's overpowered, makes the fights much more gracefuls. Ninja Gaiden light meshes perfectly with the franchise.

This game and Galaxy make me a firm believer on auto controlled camaras. The make the experience much more seamless. Works perfectly. It's an outstanding succes.

As for level design, yes, it is a linear experience, but it's one hell of one. Pacing is interrupted by the long lad section and the Waldo parts, but overall it's pressing onwards nonstop. Enviroments are always varied and puzzles for powerups mix things up, I don't reach anywhere the godly status of Super Metroid and Zero Mision, but it's certainly no slouch either. It's perfectly interconnected for it to feel cohesive, but not confusing.

I just feel like the complains go like 'Past Metroids have catchy music, therefore this should have as well. Past Metroids had labyrinth type maps (which isn't entirely true because of the elegance of Super Metroid's map), so this has to have them too. Metroids have minimalistic stories, therefore it should always be the case.

It's like people go past the end result, and let the weight of the franchise cloud their judgement. I'm not saying everybody should like the game and that complaints are invalid. It can very well be the wrong direction to take the franchise, and I'm not advocating change for the sake of it, but I feel both Metroids, linear and non linear ones can coexist, as seen with Fusion and Zero Mision. To me it's tied with Fusion but under Zero Mision and Super.

just finished a couple hours ago, really fun game and hard too, so double win :D

what happened to K.G :lol it says he went missing

is there really no bonus or anything if you 100% the game

>( at
no Kraid but we get that damn trash thing from metroid fusion? booooooooooooooooooooooo :p

i must have died about 10-15 times i think at the end :lol :lol it was so simple what to do but i figured it out too late

wsippel

Banned
donkey show said:
Goddamn cocktease. Still super awesome though.
Yeah, definitely one of the meanest cockteases ever in a videogame. :lol But shit is hitting the fan from that point on, just not the way one would expect. Which made it even more effective in some weird, twisted way.

Kard8p3

friskykillface said:
just finished a couple hours ago, really fun game and hard too, so double win :D

what happened to K.G :lol it says he went missing

is there really no bonus or anything if you 100% the game

>( at
no Kraid but we get that damn trash thing from metroid fusion? booooooooooooooooooooooo :p

i must have died about 10-15 times i think at the end :lol :lol it was so simple what to do but i figured it out too late

KG was the one that got thrown in the lava. If you 100% the game you unlock hard mode.

Dragmire

Something I wonder about the story (as well as a Zero Mission spoiler):

I wonder what the Chozo would have looked like if there were flashbacks to that period. Do you think they intentionally avoided showing them because it might seem cheesy or weird? I know it's not really a spoiler, but just in case anyone expected to see them. Zero Mission showed them in the end, and I'd like to see a Metroid games deal with them more closely, showing what happens to them. In fact, although I hate when videogames jump around in their timeline, it would be cool to see a Metroid game that takes place when Samus is a teenager or something. She would be trained by the Chozo and it would show when they give her the suit. And there could be some interesting Chozo characters. But I don't know, maybe that's not a great idea...

Poyunch

Dragmire said:
Something I wonder about the story (as well as a Zero Mission spoiler):

I wonder what the Chozo would have looked like if there were flashbacks to that period. Do you think they intentionally avoided showing them because it might seem cheesy or weird? I know it's not really a spoiler, but just in case anyone expected to see them. Zero Mission showed them in the end, and I'd like to see a Metroid games deal with them more closely, showing what happens to them. In fact, although I hate when videogames jump around in their timeline, it would be cool to see a Metroid game that takes place when Samus is a teenager or something. She would be trained by the Chozo and it would show when they give her the suit. And there could be some interesting Chozo characters. But I don't know, maybe that's not a great idea...
If you want to see what Chozos were like just read the manga.

I just beat it. I must have dozed off or not paid attention for a couple cutscenes but who ended up being the "deleter" that was killing the other marines and rose that big machine at you when you first meet MB?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm playing thru it a second time it's a much better experience but there are still some pretty glaring flaws. I'm playing thru it on normal mode again because I want to make sure I have all the controls down before I jump into hard mode. Now that I've completed the game 100% here my renewed impressions.

Controls - I'm over the initial shock of the control scheme and have accepted the game for what it is. I still think it's awkward the way you have to shift the controller to use missiles. I'm not against the first person mode, but there are times when I wish I could use missiles in third person as well. I think having first and third person modes mixes up the gameplay some, but I think it's used too much especially early on. I still have no idea why the Wii remote and nun chuck couldn't have been used as an alternate control method. While the current configuration does work, I think using the nun chuck would have made switching to first person much quicker do to the fact that your controller would already be pointed at the screen. The only thing that would need to be changed is that you would need to press a button (C button) to go into first person mode. Also, for some people (myself included) holding the Wii remote sideways is very uncomfortable do to the size of the buttons and controller itself.

While we're on this topic, they need to fix aiming in first person mode. Quite frankly, it sucks. You shouldn't have to hold down "B" to look around for one. Next time I'd also rather them map the missile button to the d-pad down button in first person mode. There are times when I could easily take out some bad dudes, but I don't want to waste my missiles on them. Also, a lot of times I was locking onto the wrong target. Basically I'd like to be able to shoot my regular gun while using lock on. What I would recommend is that they copy Metroid Prime 3's aiming. They could do this and still keep it where you can't move.

Difficulty - There were some really dumb moments in this game that could have been avoided. The where's Waldo Waldo moments for one were frustrating and not in a good way. Also some of the boss fights were unbalanced. I think they should lower the time it takes to recharge your missiles/life. The aiming in first person also makes it more difficult than it should be.

Upgrades - Most of the weapons you got in this game felt really unrewarding. I know they were trying to change things up and didn't want to rehash the whole "Samus loses everything" bit again but they need to change this.

Story - Some of this just didn't make sense. Hearing Samus talk never gets better either, particularly her internal monologs. Thank goodness you can skip thru it the second time around.

Music - There is no excuse for the complete lack of music. There are no words to describe this atrocity.

The parts where the game shines are in third person. I do think first person mixes things up some though. Bottom line, I hope they make another one and concentrate on the fantastic third person aspect. It's exactly what I wanted out of a 3D Metroid game. Keep the first person bits to finding secret items and mini games.

Kard8p3

reggieandTFE said:
I just beat it. I must have dozed off or not paid attention for a couple cutscenes but who ended up being the "deleter" that was killing the other marines and rose that big machine at you when you first meet MB?

James was the deleter. He attempted to take out MB at the end of one of the cutscenes but he obviously failed as you find him dead.

wsippel

Banned
One more thing I've noticed is that Samus, at least in my opinion, looks incredibly sexy in Other M
and cute, especially during the ending
, but she never looks like a whore - even in her high-heeled Zero Suit. Pretty impressive, considering Team Ninja's character designer was on it. Compare that to, say, Anya in Gears of War 3 or Catwoman in Arkham City, and everyone should notice a huge difference.

farnham

Banned
wsippel said:
One more thing I've noticed is that Samus, at least in my opinion, looks incredibly sexy in Other M
and cute, especially during the ending
, but she never looks like a whore - even in her high-heeled Zero Suit. Pretty impressive, considering Team Ninja's character designer was on it. Compare that to, say, Anya in Gears of War 3 or Catwoman in Arkham City, and everyone should notice a huge difference.
But its sexist

Boney

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
James was the deleter. He attempted to take out MB at the end of one of the cutscenes but he obviously failed as you find him dead.
I always thought that was Maurice, but that makes total sense. Although it's mishandled, it could've been much worse. The Anthony before Ridley and the Adam part were pretty good, and it's not as if the game goes all Heavy Rain on us making us think it's James all along and then saying it was actually Madeline or something dumb like that.

wsippel

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
I do think James was the Deleter, but who shot James? MB was unarmed the moment you heard the shot, assuming it wasn't just the editing. Which only leaves Adam or Anthony - and you never see Adam die. On the contrary, Adam even states that the self destruct sequence would leave no trace of anything (or anyone) in Sector 0. And why is MB smiling the moment she's noticing her immediate, inevitable death...?

The game definitely falls far, far below Super Metroid and all three Prime games. And Fusion, while we're at it. I don't even think it comes close to those. While I've had loads of fun with it and I think it's a good game, I think the biggest problem in general is that it's just... forgettable. That's the word I'd choose to describe it overall. Part of it is simply the location; I felt the Bottle Ship was relatively dull and despite it having your typical jungle/forest, snow, etc. environments, just knowing that it's all a holographic illusion sort of kept gnawing at me, and there was very little variation to go around. Many have said it but I'll include it anyway, but
not being able to play through Sector Zero, and not delivering on the promise of a 2nd Ridley battle was easily the worst offenders of the game outside of the story. That was just terrible sight on the developer's parts. They could have used Sector Zero as the "final" stage of the game and used it to lead up to a killer final battle, but instead Adam and the Queen Metroid comes along and practically beats the game for you
. That, my friends, is what I call a load of shit.

On top of this, there are cutscenes that are generally bad and go on for way too long and the story itself is presented very poorly. I don't think the actual plot of the game is terrible, I just didn't really care about what was ever going on. Characters like Anthony are amusing and would be a decent addition in another game perhaps, just not Metroid. I realize that they were trying to give Samus a personality and characterization, but if you're going to try to add character to an otherwise well-known albeit silent protagonist, make it good. This wasn't. A lot of people ripped on the Rob Zombie Halloween films because they felt that by giving Michael Myers background and character development that it completely detracted from his otherwise eerie and terrifying presence. I feel the same about Samus. In Fusion, you got very brief monologues that divided up each sector, but it was more or less just her thinking to herself and didn't really "demystify" her.

Other M goes a long way to develop the character, and in the process almost completely removes any long-standing preconceived notion about her. Many fans just like knowing that she's a hot blonde badass bounty hunter and nothing more. I'm not against character development and I'm certainly not against story, but the Metroid series has been doing quite well without it for, you know, something like 20 years now. If Other M had a good story and character development for Samus that didn't try to preciously humanize her, I wouldn't have much of a problem with it, and it does so in a really lackluster fashion. In addition to the bad direction, there are several laugh-out-loud things in the story.
I like how Ridley was treated, for example. It's like, everyone knew this big dragon thing by name and acknowledged that Ridley was Samus' archnemesis. Give me a fucking break, it's an alien dragon thing with no characterization yet they treat him like Lord Voldemort.

Fortunately, the game is still a blast to play and has several memorable moments. The combat is incredible and the game played very smoothly for me as I had no trouble at all switching to the first-person view even in hectic situations. Perhaps a few times it's kind of dodgy, but it worked very well overall. The graphics are very nice with the exception of some of the "outdoors" environments which seemed as though they were trying to pay respects to the N64 era, but I still thought it was a very pretty game and pleasing on the eyes. Samus' character model, as usual, is just great to look at and jumps off the screen. Pretty much everything about the gameplay was implemented just fine and I commend them for that, and there were some nice special effects to go along with her powers. On the soundtrack, I know I praised it earlier, and while I think it has some pretty excellent tracks, the music just wasn't very memorable outside of maybe one or two nice environmental tracks. The ending credits theme however is one of the best I've ever heard for a game. That was just incredible, but too bad there isn't anything noteworthy playing, you know, during the game itself.

Clearly I have a grocery list of issues, but I still enjoyed it immensely. However, and back to what I began this fan-rant with, is that the game overall is just very forgettable. When I'm playing it, it's fun, there's plenty of qualities, and they nailed a lot of great things about the series. It's just that other installments, be it the Prime trilogy, Fusion, Super, etc. were able to create memorable environments with incredible atmosphere that all felt wonderfully united, and I found those to be far more dense and full of variation with much, much better boss fights-- which is something I figured I wouldn't have to worry about considering the developer, but really, the boss fights in this were pretty uninspired. It's a nice installment and I had a blast playing through it, but when I stop and look back on it and especially when I think about some of the better installments in the series, I do feel a massive pit of disappointment and as many problems as I have with the game, that is easily the worst thing I can say about it.

That being said, I definitely hope they take another shot at it while taking the criticism to heart. This was on the fast track to being an incredible game that could have stood with the rest, but they have a great foundation to improve off of and I'd like to see another one with this style. Just without all the bullshit.

heringer

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm playing thru it a second time it's a much better experience but there are still some pretty glaring flaws. I'm playing thru it on normal mode again because I want to make sure I have all the controls down before I jump into hard mode. Now that I've completed the game 100% here my renewed impressions.

Controls - I'm over the initial shock of the control scheme and have accepted the game for what it is. I still think it's awkward the way you have to shift the controller to use missiles. I'm not against the first person mode, but there are times when I wish I could use missiles in third person as well. I think having first and third person modes mixes up the gameplay some, but I think it's used too much especially early on. I still have no idea why the Wii remote and nun chuck couldn't have been used as an alternate control method. While the current configuration does work, I think using the nun chuck would have made switching to first person much quicker do to the fact that your controller would already be pointed at the screen. The only thing that would need to be changed is that you would need to press a button (C button) to go into first person mode. Also, for some people (myself included) holding the Wii remote sideways is very uncomfortable do to the size of the buttons and controller itself.

While we're on this topic, they need to fix aiming in first person mode. Quite frankly, it sucks. You shouldn't have to hold down "B" to look around for one. Next time I'd also rather them map the missile button to the d-pad down button in first person mode. There are times when I could easily take out some bad dudes, but I don't want to waste my missiles on them. Also, a lot of times I was locking onto the wrong target. Basically I'd like to be able to shoot my regular gun while using lock on. What I would recommend is that they copy Metroid Prime 3's aiming. They could do this and still keep it where you can't move.

Difficulty - There were some really dumb moments in this game that could have been avoided. The where's Waldo Waldo moments for one were frustrating and not in a good way. Also some of the boss fights were unbalanced. I think they should lower the time it takes to recharge your missiles/life. The aiming in first person also makes it more difficult than it should be.

Upgrades - Most of the weapons you got in this game felt really unrewarding. I know they were trying to change things up and didn't want to rehash the whole "Samus loses everything" bit again but they need to change this.

Story - Some of this just didn't make sense. Hearing Samus talk never gets better either, particularly her internal monologs. Thank goodness you can skip thru it the second time around.

Music - There is no excuse for the complete lack of music. There are no words to describe this atrocity.

The parts where the game shines are in third person. I do think first person mixes things up some though. Bottom line, I hope they make another one and concentrate on the fantastic third person aspect. It's exactly what I wanted out of a 3D Metroid game. Keep the first person bits to finding secret items and mini games.
Controls - Didn't have near as many problems as you had with the controls, but it's a valid point. I will always advocate alternate control schemes and I can totally see why someone (specially people with bigger hands) wouldn't like the sideways control.

Also agree that you sholdn't have to hold B to look freely, but the pointer sensitivity is pretty good, I think.

Difficulty - Don't agree with this at all. I never felt frustrated with the game or thought that any boss was cheap or unbalanced. In fact, I think it's fairly easy overall. Significantly lowering the time it takes to recharge would make the game ridiculously easy, to the point of breaking it. Waldo moments do have to go though.

Upgrades - Didn't think it was a big problem, but I understand why people didn't like the format. Other than the dumb Varia Suit moment, I think it worked just fine.

Story - Fair enough. I still liked but the problems are definitely there.

Music - Don't feel as strongly as you about it, but I agree, they have to find a good mix between catchy music and atmospheric sounds if they're planning to do a sequel.

Beth Cyra

Since everyone is giving there opinion I might as well throw my own in as well.

Other M is probably the second best Metroid peroid to me falling only shortly behind Fusion but it is better then Prime 3 which was my former number 2 and far more enjoyable then Super/Prime 1/Prime 2.

Story had some hiccups, and questionable decisions but what I enjoyed I enjoyed far more then what I disliked.

Controls - Good, I do agree that they should of given an alternate control for those that wanted it but I didn't have a single problem with it and I do have big hands. Shinesparking, dodging and fighting was extremely easy.

Difficulty - Was medium when you choose not do dodge and just jump alot, actually use the dodge move and it becomes a cake walk.

wsippel

Banned
brandonh83 said:
The game definitely falls far, far below Super Metroid and all three Prime games. And Fusion, while we're at it. I don't even think it comes close to those. While I've had loads of fun with it and I think it's a good game, I think the biggest problem in general is that it's just... forgettable. That's the word I'd choose to describe it overall. Part of it is simply the location; I felt the Bottle Ship was relatively dull and despite it having your typical jungle/forest, snow, etc. environments, just knowing that it's all a holographic illusion sort of kept gnawing at me, and there was very little variation to go around. Many have said it but I'll include it anyway, but
not being able to play through Sector Zero, and not delivering on the promise of a 2nd Ridley battle was easily the worst offenders of the game outside of the story. That was just terrible sight on the developer's parts. They could have used Sector Zero as the "final" stage of the game and used it to lead up to a killer final battle, but instead Adam and the Queen Metroid comes along and practically beats the game for you
. That, my friends, is what I call a load of shit.
It's not hard to see what they were trying to do.
If someone or something was able to kill the most menacing enemy in the game with ease, it's obvious that this thing, whatever it is, has to be a lot more powerful and dangerous. I get the idea, and I thought it was clever. It just didn't work, because the Queen wasn't that hard or menacing. Great idea, not so great execution.

Red

wsippel said:
I do think James was the Deleter, but who shot James? MB was unarmed the moment you heard the shot, assuming it wasn't just the editing. Which only leaves Adam or Anthony - and you never see Adam die. On the contrary, Adam even states that the self destruct sequence would leave no trace of anything (or anyone) in Sector 0. And why is MB smiling the moment she's noticing her immediate, inevitable death...?
MB killed him, she is an insane android and the editing was meant to obscure this fact despite her robot eyes and initials already blatantly telling us who she is.

If we're tossing in arbitrary ratings for the series, here's my list:
Super Metroid
Prime
Prime 2
Zero Mission
Fusion/Other M
Metroid II
Metroid
Metroid Pinball
Prime Hunters
Prime 3

[Nintex]

So endgame spoilers...
What's with the post game content, I'm running around power bombing some vents and more of those alien things show up. Did I finish the game or what, what is Samus looking for and how do I get there? Just one of the many things in this game that feels off or weird.

wsippel said:
If someone or something was able to kill the most menacing enemy in the game with ease, it's obvious that this thing, whatever it is, has to be a lot more powerful and dangerous. I get the idea, and I thought it was clever. It just didn't work, because the Queen wasn't that hard or menacing. Great idea, not so great execution.

Sure, that would have worked if it... had worked. But it did not work.

wsippel said:
That's the problem. Good idea, but it simply didn't work the way it was intended.

I just cannot recall, in recent memory, a more lackluster final boss. Well, I mean aside from God of War III. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue has a better final boss than this.

MadOdorMachine said:

I don't think there's very many instances where first person is required to be honest. Most of the time (dodge) charged shots will suffice even for the toughest enemies and proof from a Ridley hardmode youtube video that lethal finishers do way more damage than missiles/super missiles also
superbomb
enemies are infinitely easier as well. Most cases where you do have to fire missiles you can just let go of B and fire normally as a railshooter, and holding B and pointing the wiimote upwards will almost always dodge and if you are fast you can get a free charge. Not to mention you can use 2 hands to charge your shot for a missle before even going into first person. I usually hold 1 then switch to first person and aim/fire with my left hand pressing A.

I'd bet that speedrun/advanced play will pretty much only use dodge charges with 2 handed technique so that even if required.. missile shooting will be done insanely fast.

Also I'm not so sure a nunchuck would fix the issues as the pointing to the screen calibrates the wiimote everytime there would still be a delay as you'd need to straighten wiimote and people would complain why they'd have to hold the wiimote faced at the screeen at all times otherwise when not in first person. I do wish they had wii motion plus support if it removed most of the calibration issues.

Kard8p3

I felt everything in the story involving ridley was handled well and of course everyone knows who Ridley is. He's the highest ranking member of the Space Pirates so It's not unbelievable to assume people know who he is. Then of course Adam would know who Ridley is because he knows everything about Samus.

wsippel

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I just cannot recall, in recent memory, a more lackluster final boss. Well, I mean aside from God of War III. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue has a better final boss than this.
I was very disappointed the first time I've played through the game. But everything seemed to make sense on my second playthrough. Even the ending suddenly made sense and felt satisfying. Maybe it's just me, but if it isn't, it would be a problem playtesters probably wouldn't even notice. Not that it couldn't have been better and more epic...

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:

I can understand why you don't like it but to me it wasn't a lackluster final boss at all. I liked it quite a bit.

XenoRaven

wsippel said:
Right. It doesn't really make sense to use Metroids that way, since Samus is the single most well-equipped person/thing in the universe when it comes to fighting Metroids. It would be like a Pokemon game building up the hype for a Charizard fight by having it kill Venusaur, and you're Blastoise.

[Nintex] said:
So endgame spoilers...
What's with the post game content, I'm running around power bombing some vents and more of those alien things show up. Did I finish the game or what, what is Samus looking for and how do I get there? Just one of the many things in this game that feels off or weird.
Well, let's just say it didn't make much sense to me. It's definitely worth it for what you get to do, but story wise, its pretty stupid.

[Nintex]

Metroid Other M is a good game just not as polished as other Nintendo games. Framerate seems to be all over the place and some gameplay systems are clunky. I'm also seeing a lot of copy/paste level design(most rooms are symmetrical). I also feel that the game is too easy, it actually starts out quite challenging but around 50/60% of the game, Samus is such a powerhouse that nothing can kill her anymore.

I still like the game because of the Metroid gameplay and the combat is cool but they were 'this' close to shipping an unplayable mess. I think that we really dodged a bullet here, considering what else could've easily gone wrong outside of the 'where's waldo sequences' and other 'eeehhh..' stuff.

Dammit it's too hard to keep away from this thread.

First things first: I'm surprised at how slim the options are. I'm not talking about alternate control methods, stuff like brightness settings etc. Unless I've just not look hard enough..

Having just finished Prime , it's nice to be able go through Other M without having to do much scanning. Don't get me wrong, I love a little collecting, but I felt that sometimes the scanning got in the way of me appreciating the environments. I'm glad to see that they went a little way to fixing it in Echoes with the colour coding.

The lack of item chimes is a little disappointing, but I like the subtlety of the score. It's brooding - you're in a dark room where pretty much all you can see is Samus' visor, and you can just about hear it. It definitely compliments the ship's atmosphere. Coming from Prime, it's nice to be locked in a room without that stressful music playing.

I suppose I could also so that I like the damage output your enemies can dish out. It's just right - not too punishing yet not too soft. I very much like the fact that your enemies are on a level playing field i.e. they can grab and shoot as well as you can.

They can't dodge as well though. :D

Very much enjoying the little touches. Your health showing up at its correct number in the cutscenes, the reload sound of the missiles, the wonderful animation. Say what you want about the game, it's incredibly well polished regardless.

Red

MarshMellow96 said:
Dammit it's too hard to keep away from this thread.

First things first: I'm surprised at how slim the options are. I'm not talking about alternate control methods, stuff like brightness settings etc. Unless I've just not look hard enough..

Having just finished Prime , it's nice to be able go through Other M without having to do much scanning. Don't get me wrong, I love a little collecting, but I felt that sometimes the scanning got in the way of me appreciating the environments. I'm glad to see that they went a little way to fixing it in Echoes with the colour coding.

The lack of item chimes is a little disappointing, but I like the subtlety of the score. It's brooding - you're in a dark room where pretty much all you can see is Samus' visor, and you can just about hear it. It definitely compliments the ship's atmosphere. Coming from Prime, it's nice to be locked in a room without that stressful music playing.

I suppose I could also so that I like the damage output your enemies can dish out. It's just right - not too punishing yet not too soft. I very much like the fact that your enemies are on a level playing field i.e. they can grab and shoot as well as you can.

They can't dodge as well though. :D

Very much enjoying the little touches. Your health showing up at its correct number in the cutscenes, the reload sound of the missiles, the wonderful animation. Say what you want about the game, it's incredibly well polished regardless.
I actually thought the game was a little too easy. I expected a stiffer challenge. I know there's a hard mode, but that's more what I would consider an "extreme" mode or "challenge" mode. I wish there was another setting in between, that retained power ups and missile expansions but upped the damage and aggressiveness of enemies.

Kard8p3

Crunched said:
I actually thought the game was a little too easy. I expected a stiffer challenge. I know there's a hard mode, but that's more what I would consider an "extreme" mode or "challenge" mode. I wish there was another setting in between, that retained power ups and missile expansions but upped the damage and aggressiveness of enemies.

The difficulty of this game is interesting. Some people think the game is a little too easy while some think it's too hard (some reviews marked it down a bit for being too hard.) I thought the difficulty was perfect. I wasn't Ninja Gaiden hard by any means but it wasn't Zero Mission easy either.

Red

Kard8p3 said:
The difficulty of this game is interesting. Some people think the game is a little too easy while some think it's too hard (some reviews marked it down a bit for being too hard.) I thought the difficulty was perfect. I wasn't Ninja Gaiden hard by any means but it wasn't Zero Mission easy either.
Eh, once I got a hang of the sense move and first person timing the game was a breeze. From an hour or two in to the end of the game I was a walking killing machine, a magician making monsters disappear in purple puffs.

I especially wish the bosses were a little tougher. The fights themselves are cool, but they're over way too quickly :/

hamchan

Kard8p3 said:

I thought it was really easy but then again I was one of the people who just mashed the d-pad. I suppose if you actually try and dodge with timing then the game gets super hard.

I just started playing this. 2 1/2 hours in and it's a really really nice change of pace for Metroid. As much as I initially loved it, I was really getting tired of the Prime style games. I wish Team Ninja would've axed the first person shooting all together, but it hasn't been a deal breaker yet.

The story and acting are pretty mediocre so far. I'm for the concept, but the executions been embarrassing. Team Ninja just seemed to go a bit overboard with it. The dialogue lacks subtlety. Everyone talks to much and in that weird anime dub style. But I'm still having fun with it and I'm ready for the story to redeem itself.

Crunched said:

I think it's easy in the sense that the enemies telegraph your their moves, so you shouldn't really get hit. Early on it can be a pain, though I've only died on one bit (that enemy who slides along the floor spitting out grubs that home in on you - went into the room on my last bar). Oh yeah, I definitely agree with you on that. I've never liked the idea of a hard mode giving enemies more health and gimping the player's abilities, it just becomes monotonous. Dante's Inferno was like that, you could just wail on a guy for ages and it wouldn't appear to make any difference.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of those games where I never JUST run. I'm either shooting at nothing, jumping like a mad man, charging a beam, morphing or all of above.

I like games that let me do that. :D

Kard8p3

Garcia el Gringo said:
I just started playing this. 2 1/2 hours in and it's a really really nice change of pace for Metroid. As much as I initially loved it, I was really getting tired of the Prime style games. I wish Team Ninja would've axed the first person shooting all together, but it hasn't been a deal breaker yet.

The story and acting are pretty mediocre so far. I'm for the concept, but the executions been embarrassing. Team Ninja just seemed to go a bit overboard with it. The dialogue lacks subtlety. Everyone talks to much and in that weird anime dub style. But I'm still having fun with it and I'm ready for the story to redeem itself.

Well Sakamoto did the story so any blame for that would fall upon him instead of Team Ninja.

Red

Rez said:
This is one of those games where I never JUST run. I'm either shooting at nothing, jumping at a mad man, charging a beam, morphing or all of above.

I like games that let me do that. :D
I don't think I stopped shooting for longer than four seconds the entire eleven hours I spent with the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Crunched said:
I don't think I stopped shooting for longer than four seconds the entire eleven hours I spent with the game.

Ha, so true in my case. I run around spamming the shoot button and firing off charge shots for no reason. I can't stop.

Top Bottom