• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Red

Snuggler said:
Ha, so true in my case. I run around spamming the shoot button and firing off charge shots for no reason. I can't stop.
I drove myself crazy knocking myself backwards off ledges with charge shots so many times :lol

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a
second Ridley fight , since there was the double fight with the gravity/ metroid fusion boss, i hoped for one more fight with Ridley

Kard8p3

friskykillface said:
I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a
second Ridley fight , since there was the double fight with the gravity/ metroid fusion boss, i hoped for one more fight with Ridley

Yeah I really wanted a second fight with him too. Then the queen had to come out and take my kill.

Ridley327

We have fought
Ridley approximately a billion times already, so I don't blame them for having Nightmare be the repeat fight. A shame they didn't use his awesome music from Fusion, though.

Vanpira

I've looked around for hours and can't seem to find how do you get in to the room with the missile tank, the one you can see from the hanger. The door is locked, the computer is in the room with the missile and there are no morph ball holes that I can see. Was I suppose to get it earlier and can't now?

The etiolate metdown :lol :lol
I had him in my ignore list for some time now, but you quoted him to many times guys, so at the end, I was yet reading him. :lol

Gouken said:
Well I'm a huge metroid fan, I found other M extremely dull and the play mechanics broken, in my opinion team ninja did a terrible job, I was hoping for something more up beat a long the lines of NG. The game feels confused switching from first person view, to side scrolling then back to 3D. I'm gonna give it more time and see how i like it, and please tell me there are less stupid cut scenes later on, I personally prefer the silent metroid atmosphere.

Well, im a huge metroid fan and im finding this game marvelous. Look, we can all play that game.

There are different tastes for different people, but saying you are a huge fan just to shit or praise a new game in that franchise, thinking you can validate like that your point, is wrong.

Poyunch

Vanpira said:
I've looked around for hours and can't seem to find how do you get in to the room with the missile tank, the one you can see from the hanger. The door is locked, the computer is in the room with the missile and there are no morph ball holes that I can see. Was I suppose to get it earlier and can't now?
It's one of the earliest powerups you can get. Go to the sixth room from the hangar. Do some looking around.

Kard8p3

Boney said:
Seriously, a remastered version of this game, may very well be the best game ever.

An MGS3 Subsistence style remastering? Would be quite awesome and I'd definitely buy it. Team Ninja is no stranger to releasing remastered versions of their games so I'd welcome it.

Kard8p3 said:
Well Sakamoto did the story so any blame for that would fall upon him instead of Team Ninja.
That makes sense. I haven't been following this game at all. I just assumed it was being handled like Retro's Metroid games. I guess if Team Ninja was responsible for the story there would be none to speak of.

Thanks for filling me in.

Boney

Banned
upandaway said:
It came out 2 seconds ago

remaster what
More playable characters, another Scenario perhaps. Fix Waldo parts. Boss Rush.

Yeah a Subsistance rerelease. I'd have sex with it.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
More playable characters, another Scenario perhaps. Fix Waldo parts. Boss Rush.

Yeah a Subsistance rerelease. I'd have sex with it.

I don't know, etiolate freaked out so bad about the game being sexist as it was, I am almost afraid to see his reaction if they actually allowed it so you could control a man over Samus.

chiba

As much as I hate the story, dialogue, voice acting, hidden item mini games, over the shoulder parts, and the fact it
takes place on a giant ship and lava rooms ect are just holograms
, the actual gameplay and level design is amazing. And some of the puzzles and hidden items are actually challenging, not something I'm used to in a nintendo game these days.:D

I just wish it used a nunchuck(hold B to enter fps mode?) and that the music used more of the traditional metroid chimes we all know and love (like when you save). Overall, great game if you don't mind a soap opera-ish melodrama story in your Metroid. I'm about 7 hours in now, game keeps getting better and better
(except for the ridley scene where Samus turns into a little girl, sigh...)

Kard8p3

TruePrime said:
I don't know, etiolate freaked out so bad about the game being sexist as it was, I am almost afraid to see his reaction if they actually allowed it so you could control a man over Samus.

He'd likely end up getting banned again like he did a few months ago. He needs to understand that his way isn't the only way.

Still give me an anthony higgs mode and
a deleter/james mode just so I can control that machine in the boss fight. Also allow me to play adam destroying sector zero.

Beth Cyra

Kard8p3 said:
He'd likely end up getting banned again like he did a few months ago. He needs to understand that his way isn't the only way.

Still give me an anthony higgs mode and
a deleter/james mode just so I can control that machine in the boss fight. Also allow me to play adam destroying sector zero.

Hey I agree, I actually though Higgs was an awesome character and hope he comes back in the future, plus it would be cool playing and following the time line from Higgs POV and have it end at the Ridley fight, kinda handle like they did Vile in MHX.

evangd007

Rez said:
This is one of those games where I never JUST run. I'm either shooting at nothing, jumping like a mad man, charging a beam, morphing or all of above.

I like games that let me do that. :D

Funny, I prefer just running so I can Juggernaut enemies down with the speed booster.

donkey show said:
With an Anthony Higgs mode, please.

Anthony and Samus co-op mode... with them exchanging Nolan North style quips. Then it might be Western enough for the bros.

Samus waited for permission to activate the Varia feature of her suit? What the fuck. I know it's kind of ridiculous that they have to devise new, contrived means of stripping Samus of her abilities each Metroid game, but this whole permission to activate features and weapons is my least favorite. That was just...what?

Kard8p3

chiba said:
As much as I hate the story, dialogue, voice acting, hidden item mini games, over the shoulder parts, and the fact it
takes place on a giant ship and lava rooms ect are just holograms
, the actual gameplay and level design is amazing. And some of the puzzles and hidden items are actually challenging, not something I'm used to in a nintendo game these days.:D

I just wish it used a nunchuck(hold B to enter fps mode?) and that the music used more of the traditional metroid chimes we all know and love (like when you save). Overall, great game if you don't mind a soap opera-ish melodrama story in your Metroid. I'm about 7 hours in now, game keeps getting better and better
(except for the ridley scene where Samus turns into a little girl, sigh...)

Her turning to a little girl is a reference to her past where Ridley killed her parents as a child. Her reacting that way after thinking he was finally dead for good isn't unbelievable.

robot

Has anyone had a problem with the door in Sector 3 right after the 3 grappling posts? I've been trying to get past this door that's mysteriously locked, did some searching and apparently it's a glitch. The door should be green and there's no way to grapple back. Really hope I dont have to start over.

Beth Cyra

jaundicejuice said:
Samus waited for permission to activate the Varia feature of her suit? What the fuck. I know it's kind of ridiculous that they have to devise new, contrived means of stripping Samus of her abilities each Metroid game, but this whole permission to activate features and weapons is my least favorite. That was just...what?

Certainly not the best way to handle it, but accepting the request for help and placing herself under military order isn't anything worse then they could of come up with.

Really all this does is show that if you are going to have a story having you not have your starting ablities just doesn't work, so they either need to come up with upgrades next time or let you be full powered the whole time.

hamchan

Kard8p3 said:
Her turning to a little girl is a reference to her past where Ridley killed her parents as a child. Her reacting that way after thinking he was finally dead for good isn't unbelievable.
It's weird because she has fought and beaten Ridley at least twice before. She shouldn't be so afraid anymore.

evangd007

Kard8p3 said:

The dialogue during that spot could have been better, like
"Ridley!?! No!!! You're supposed to be dead!"
Then again I could say that about a lot of the script. Sakamoto must have been a hard-ass about the translation because it seems like it was way too literal.

hamchan said:
It's weird because she has fought and beaten Ridley at least twice before.

But they most recent time the planet he was on was nuked.

jaundicejuice said:
I like to imagine Adam went to get some coffee or something, then came back to his viewing station and was surprised to see her running through Sector 3 without her Varia suit on.

Beth Cyra

hamchan said:
It's weird because she has fought and beaten Ridley at least twice before.

Yeah and people that are aquaphopic have been touched by water plenty of times, doesn't suddenly mean they have gotten over their fear.

Not saying that part is handled well, I myself don't think it fits quite right but the idea that even after she fights him she could be mentally scared isn't far fetched.

chiba

Kard8p3 said:
I'm not saying it didn't fit the story, I just didn't find it enjoyable to watch. But like I said, I didn't enjoy much of the story at all, could do without 90% of it to be honest.:D To each his own I guess.

hamchan

TruePrime said:
Yeah and people that are aquaphopic have been touched by water plenty of times, doesn't suddenly mean they have gotten over their fear.

Not saying that part is handled well, I myself don't think it fits quite right but the idea that even after she fights him she could be mentally scared isn't far fetched.

She didn't just "touch" Ridley though, she freaking destroyed him. This isn't even counting the Prime games, though they really should count.

It didn't seem like she was just surprised too, the way they showed her 3 year old self it was pretty apparent it was real fear. We don't know if she froze up in the previous encounters but she must have overcome it previously to beat him so many times right?

It just seems very weird when she's fought him so many times.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Starting to get farther, but one boss that really threw me off was
the machine being driven by the traitor. How the FUCK are we supposed to believe that?

Beth Cyra

hamchan said:
She didn't just "touch" Ridley though, she freaking destroyed him. This isn't even counting the Prime games, though they really should count.

It didn't seem like she was just surprised too, the way they showed her 3 year old self it was pretty apparent it was real fear. We don't know if she froze up in the previous encounters but she must have overcome it previously to beat him so many times right?

It just seems very weird when she's fought him so many times.

The Prime's whether or not they should of been taken into account is moot at this point and they have no baring on this conversation as they aren't counted by this games story.

That said yes it is fear just as I said with the Aquaphobia thing. Not only that but we do have the Manga which shows her having a sever issue with facing Ridley, now one could argue she gets over that their, but it seems as though the writer disagrees.

Given Super and Zero's story telling method is so at odds with Fusion and Other M we can't be sure if she locked up in the past, but given her reactions in the Manga and again in Other M it wouldn't be that out there to think that she did.

At least in Zero Mission. As it stands she chased down the Baby Metroid and because rescuing that was on her mind the whole time it could be that she was able to face Ridly with out this problem, playing on the whole Mother angle and the bond she has with the Baby.

We will probably never know exactly.

Papercuts said:
Starting to get farther, but one boss that really threw me off was
the machine being driven by the traitor. How the FUCK are we supposed to believe that?

Doesn't fit in Metroid at all.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
:lol

brandonh83 said:
Doesn't fit in Metroid at all.
Fits alright in a space station to me though.. don't see the big deal, it was a cool boss.

robot said:
Has anyone had a problem with the door in Sector 3 right after the 3 grappling posts? I've been trying to get past this door that's mysteriously locked, did some searching and apparently it's a glitch. The door should be green and there's no way to grapple back. Really hope I dont have to start over.
Same thing happened to me man... copied my brothers file that was like 2 hours in, but still it sucked so much :(

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
heringer said:
Difficulty - Don't agree with this at all. I never felt frustrated with the game or thought that any boss was cheap or unbalanced. In fact, I think it's fairly easy overall. Significantly lowering the time it takes to recharge would make the game ridiculously easy, to the point of breaking it. Waldo moments do have to go though.
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I was doing the family thing. Anyway, what I mean by unbalanced is that some bosses were too easy. I realize that's what a hard mode is for, but to me difficulty should be in the challenge of the boss fights. I shouldn't be dying cheap deaths and yes there were a lot of them. In fact if it weren't for infinite continues and these boards, I would have lost complete patience with the game. Some example of poor boss fights -
Metroid Queen and the Power Bomb was lame I died way too many times trying to figure that one out. Same thing with MB. I died too many time to count trying to kill those things flying around the room. Also Ridleys tail outside of the lab that exploded was retarded as well due to controls
My point is that the game was difficult because people didn't know what to do or were battling an erratic lock on system in 1st person mode, not because the bosses were too challenging. That's the wrong type of difficulty to have and not what I expect from a Team Ninja game and especially a Metroid game.

Also, the whole thing about character development and story to me is that sometimes less is more. The more you get to put yourself into the character, the more you will be attached to it. To me, Samus should talk almost exclusively thru body language and facial expressions. I would like them to go a Silent Bob/Kevin Smith approach with and only make her talk when it is absolutely necessary. If not then they seriously need to step it up several notches because games like Uncharted run circles around Other M. Nintendo is way behind the curve in that aspect. As far as story goes, I think it's better when questions aren't answered. It's good to keep people guessing.

Threi

notag
hamchan said:
We don't know if she froze up in the previous encounters but she must have overcome it previously to beat him so many times right?
and she did it this time as well did she not?

Owzers

I'm starting to feel the same about this game as i did with Splinter Cell Conviction and God of War 3, short games that within 2-3 hours i've felt like i've seen and done everything that's needed to fully enjoy whatever i can out of the game, and now i'm rushing through Other M, avoiding combat, just to finish it.

Currently 4.5 hours into the game. Needless to say there won't be an "aftergame" going back and getting all the powerups. It's definitely been a wortwhile rental, hopefully i can beat it before it's due back Tuesday.

AniHawk

sillymonkey321 said:
Currently 4.5 hours into the game. Needless to say there won't be an "aftergame" going back and getting all the powerups. It's definitely been a wortwhile rental, hopefully i can beat it before it's due back Tuesday.

There is an aftergame and it's actually more content than just 100%ing the game.

Top Bottom