• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Boney said:
:lol

Fits alright in a space station to me though.. don't see the big deal, it was a cool boss.

I meant the way it was presented.
The thing blew up, didn't show the person get out, Samus didn't even check, there's only one way out of the room, etc. The boss was fine, but that scene was hilariously hard to believe.

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:
So endgame spoilers...
What's with the post game content, I'm running around power bombing some vents and more of those alien things show up. Did I finish the game or what, what is Samus looking for and how do I get there? Just one of the many things in this game that feels off or weird.

You're trying to get to Adam's command center thing. A word of advice: when you get back to the main elevator room, I suggest you take it to the other sectors and 100% the game before heading to the final marker.

Kard8p3

robot said:
Has anyone had a problem with the door in Sector 3 right after the 3 grappling posts? I've been trying to get past this door that's mysteriously locked, did some searching and apparently it's a glitch. The door should be green and there's no way to grapple back. Really hope I dont have to start over.

Unfortunately you've found that glitch. I'm pretty sure you'll have to start over. Just to be safe though reload your game and see if it went back to normal.

Papercuts said:
I meant the way it was presented.
The thing blew up, didn't show the person get out, Samus didn't even check, there's only one way out of the room, etc. The boss was fine, but that scene was hilariously hard to believe.

I guess people don't completely pay attention here.
After the fight is over she walks over to check who it is and see's he's gone. How he left we don't know but she did check.

I finished it this morning and then I watched the "Movie" version. I ended up really liking the game. Yea, the game has some issues, but it gets a lot of things right. The graphics, music, and sound effects are all great. The ambient sounds and Samus' footsteps and the enemies' sounds were all so well done. And at no point did I look at the graphics and wish this game was on a more powerful system or think "it looks good for a Wii game". The game just looks good.

The game really feels like Metroid Fusion with some sort Ninja Gaiden camera angles and gameplay mechanics. The flow of the game is pretty much Fusion in 3D. I don't know what kind of magic they used, but all the platforming and running around has a really good feel to it. It almost feels like a 2D game. Maybe it's the camera angles. Maybe it's the D-pad controls.

I wasn't so sure about the combat at first, but I grew to really like it. The dodge and charge mechanic worked great and even though the first person mechanic was a bit clunky, it really fit well in the game. I think if maybe they would have just had you use a classic controller and held a button to go into first person, not as many people would have had an issue with the mechanic.

One thing that sticks out in my mind that's not been a part of any 3D Metroid still is the feeling that I have to shoot and bomb everything to find secrets. That would feel pretty pointless in this game. Most of the time there are dead giveaways telling you where you should try and find a secret. I really miss that feeling and wish they would find a good way to implement it in the 3D games.

I'm a Metroid lore nerd so, I loved the story. Yes, it is delivered in a sort of cheesy anime style, but you know, it's a Japanese series made by Japanese people who make anime inspired games. I really didn't have a problem with the cutscenes nor the amount of them. I thought they were well spread out and looked great. It's not exactly a Metal Gear Solid game. I didn't feel like I was being held back from playing the game like in Metal Gear. I felt like I was being rewarded with them.

I don't get why some people are so offended by the story. So finally they show Samus' human side in the games. Samus is human. Samus has feelings. Samus is not a Terminator. She can shed a tear. Is that a bad thing? She's still tough. She'll still kicks some ass. For years people have been wanting exactly this out of many Nintendo characters who have basically no personality or history behind them as far as the games go.

Instro

Finished the game today, 55% in like 9 hours I think, Ill have to check the time. Starting into the post game stuff
which is great because I was wondering the whole time what happened to that K.G. guy, since I'm assuming he was the deleter.

Overall I've really enjoyed this game and I thing it holds up very well against other metroids, at the very least it is better than Hunters and Metroid 2 and certainly on par with a few other metroids(SM and Prime excluded).

I didn't really see any of the complaints others have had with the story or game play(first person stuff), the environments had there ups and downs, and there was a bit of awkwardness in the dialogue, but overall I was very pleased with how this title turned out. The actual game play itself is a blast btw, so fun to be able to just blast through areas like in previous titles, something that was really missing from the Prime titles. Bosses were also top notch
Nightmare in 3D fuck yea!, wasn't happy with the last boss being the queen metroid since I was expecting a showdown with MB, but maybe there's a boss in the post game stuff I don't know about so we'll see.

Hopefully Nintendo continues what they did with this game in terms of direction because it was great. Definitely a 9/10 from me.

heringer

Instro said:
Finished the game today, 55% in like 9 hours I think, Ill have to check the time. Starting into the post game stuff
which is great because I was wondering the whole time what happened to that K.G. guy, since I'm assuming he was the deleter.

Overall I've really enjoyed this game and I thing it holds up very well against other metroids, at the very least it is better than Hunters and Metroid 2 and certainly on par with a few other metroids(SM and Prime excluded).

I didn't really see any of the complaints others have had with the story or game play(first person stuff), the environments had there ups and downs, and there was a bit of awkwardness in the dialogue, but overall I was very pleased with how this title turned out. The actual game play itself is a blast btw, so fun to be able to just blast through areas like in previous titles, something that was really missing from the Prime titles. Bosses were also top notch
Nightmare in 3D fuck yea!, wasn't happy with the last boss being the queen metroid since I was expecting a showdown with MB, but maybe there's a boss in the post game stuff I don't know about so we'll see.

Hopefully Nintendo continues what they did with this game in terms of direction because it was great. Definitely a 9/10 from me.
You assumed wrong. James is the deleter. :p

It's implied. The postgame doesn't cover that.

I know opinions are opinions but I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone could like Prime 3 better than the first one.

Other M is a fun game that never bores me but something is missing but it's all there to make the sequel a 9 to 9.5 game.

I think the weirdness of a 3D game played with 2D controls makes it brilliant even if it isn't ideal.

The game feels like what a Metroid game would feel like if it was out in the arcades.

Since nothing would top the first Prime, I am glad for a new style for the series and while it's not better than Prime(not even close) and not even as good as the oldschool Metroid games, the game is cool and exciting and the sequel could be REALLY good.

Beth Cyra

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I know opinions are opinions but I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone could like Prime 3 better than the first one.

Other M is a fun game that never bores me but something is missing but it's all there to make the sequel a 9 to 9.5 game.

I think the weirdness of a 3D game played with 2D controls makes it brilliant even if it isn't ideal.

The game feels like what a Metroid game would feel like if it was out in the arcades.

Since nothing would top the first Prime, I am glad for a new style for the series and while it's not better than Prime(not even close) and not even as good as the oldschool Metroid games, the game is cool and exciting and the sequel could be REALLY good.

Well if you are anything like me you found Tallon IV while beautiful boring as fuck and I don't like robots that only make noise when they are hit by something. To me outside the visuals and a few boss battles Prime 1 was incredibly boring. Prime 3 fixed most of these issues and Other M does far better making it way better to me then Prime 1 ever was.

TruePrime said:
Well if you are anything like me you found Tallon IV while beautiful boring as fuck and I don't like robots that only make noise when they are hit by something. To me outside the visuals and a few boss battles Prime 1 was incredibly boring. Prime 3 fixed most of these issues and Other M does far better making it way better to me then Prime 1 ever was.

Yeah, to each their own but I would substitute "boring" with "intelligent" when it comes to the design.

Prime 3 was good but a dumbed down version of both the first two.

Kard8p3

Instro said:

Nah K.G. was the guy that got dropped in the lava. The deleter was James but he got killed when he tried to take out MB.

Beth Cyra

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Yeah, to each their own but I would substitute "boring" with "intelligent" when it comes to the design.

Prime 3 was good but a dumbed down version of both the first two.

Sorry but when I am forcing myself to play through something it doesn't strike me as intellegent design.

Prime 3 might not be the greatest designed game in the world but never once did I actually want to stop because I wasn't having fun.

sfried

Kard8p3 said:
An MGS3 Subsistence style remastering? Would be quite awesome and I'd definitely buy it. Team Ninja is no stranger to releasing remastered versions of their games so I'd welcome it.
Speaking of MGS, did anybody get the feeling when
Samus started talking to Adam aboutthe use of BIOWEAPONs and then with Melissa/M.B. about METROIDs
feels similar to how Snake adresses METAL GEAR?! (It can't be!!!)

Covert Federation Conspiracy
METROID GEAR SOLID

Edit: I still hate Prime 3 for its level design, not its level art direction, which indeed is superb. But they will never replicate the flow they had with Prime 1. And Retro needs to ditch endgame mcguffin treasure hunting.

robot

robor said:
So it's actually a glitch in the game?

Yeah, I was able to get a save file from someone on gamefaqs (there's a 12 page thread over there with other people who have gotten it). Not really sure what I did wrong, but basically theres a regular door that should be opened, but is locked. There's no known workaround, and it's pretty far along in the game (i think).

robor

Let me guess, the G Fed conspiracy is the bottle ship has metroids and they were sent there to get them.

robot said:
Yeah, I was able to get a save file from someone on gamefaqs (there's a 12 page thread over there with other people who have gotten it). Not really sure what I did wrong, but basically theres a regular door that should be opened, but is locked. There's no known workaround, and it's pretty far along in the game (i think).

Wow, that's really bad. I'm a little disappointed by that. That means the game is broken : |

Beth Cyra

robor said:
It is a bit disappointing but some of the best games of all time have some horrible glitches in them and as long as it doesn't happen 9 times out of 10 I won't hold it against the game.

Though wouldn't blame people who did if it happened to them.

Boney

Banned
That glitch was driving me crazy. I really did went through it fast the second time. I was on crack or something.

LowParry

Okay...I have a mini rage, and need help.

First off:
After beating the game, I'm giving the most rediculous, most fucking ending of fuck fucks I have ever seen. Fuck you Team Ninja. Fuck you Nintendo for letting them do this piece of shit. Fuck fuck assholes.

But then...

What!? Back to find something you left? Bring it on! But...I'm stuck. I can't seem to get to where I need to be. Need some help getting to this area. I swear to god, if I am not blown away by what this potentially will be, I'll rage like a goddamn monkey. I swear to god.

LowParry

Oni Link 666 said:
I don't get why some people are so offended by the story. So finally they show Samus' human side in the games. Samus is human. Samus has feelings. Samus is not a Terminator. She can shed a tear. Is that a bad thing? She's still tough. She'll still kicks some ass. For years people have been wanting exactly this out of many Nintendo characters who have basically no personality or history behind them as far as the games go.

You know what REALLY grinds me gears about the story?

Still haven't beat the game yet but here's one thing that drives me up the wall about what they did.
When you finally get to face off with mature Ridley, she starts having flash backs of whatever. Okay. So why the living fuck didn't she have any issues the bazillions times before facing off with him, and all the sudden now? She's a goddamn bounty hunter. And don't you tell me that the whole "thumbs down" gives her character. Fuck. That. Shit.

Kard8p3

CcrooK said:

Still haven't beat the game yet but here's one thing that drives me up the wall about what they did.
When you finally get to face off with mature Ridley, she starts having flash backs of whatever. Okay. So why the living fuck didn't she have any issues the bazillions times before facing off with him, and all the sudden now? She's a goddamn bounty hunter. And don't you tell me that the whole "thumbs down" gives her character. Fuck. That. Shit.

I really don't get why people go so crazy of the Ridley scene. The Prime games aren't taken into account in this games story so she's only faced Ridley 3 times prior to this (counting the manga.) In the manga she freaks out even more when encountering Ridley.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why you guys insist on arguing about the least interesting part of the game.

hamchan

Kard8p3 said:
I really don't get why people go so crazy of the Ridley scene. The Prime games aren't taken into account in this games story so she's only faced Ridley 3 times prior to this (counting the manga.) In the manga she freaks out even more when encountering Ridley.

Do the Prime games not count because of Sakamoto's ego or something?
Seems kinda dumb of Nintendo to just throw away the story of a very successful series.

LowParry

Kard8p3 said:

I get it from that angle. But for those who haven't read the manga, you're left with a really bad taste in your mouth. It really could of been handled a lot better. Yeah, there's nothing more that can be done. But at least the fight itself was fantastic. I thought for a moment there Ridley was going to start talking but breathed easy to see it wasn't done like that.

Threi

notag
she hesitated for a bit seeing that ridley was alive, then proceeded to beat the shit out of him (again). She hesitated for a bit seeing that the (baby) metroid was alive, then proceeded to attempt to shoot it (before getting shot by adam). Either way it's a pretty fucking minor plot point, why the hell is everyone getting so worked up over it? Do fans enjoy metroid because of the unique gameplay style or because they just wanted to craft their own image of the protagonist? Personally I would be more disappointed if canon samus turned out to be a bitch.

LowParry

Rez said:
I don't know why you guys insist on arguing about the least interesting part of the game.

Oh I'll get to other parts but I want to finish the game entirely. I have a few dozen rants I have about this game.

Boney

Banned
CcrooK said:

Eaaaaasy there.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Personally, I think it's kinda like a retcon to the character to make it more vulnerable. That's the whole point of this game I think, badass space warrior that is messed up in the head.

Many others think that she's so shocked because she's killed him twice supposedly, and he wasn't supposed be still alive, so it's like a realization that Ridley is her personal stalker and he's gonna get her.

So when people point out that she's already killed him and never acted with fear, I just think that in Super Metroid, she was just filled with rage and was coming back for the baby. Same here, she stands up to him when she thinks Anthony died.

I don't know, I didn't find it as offensive as some did.

Speaking of glitches, I almost got caught in one when trying to
jump on the back of one of those spider tree looking creatures after it died.
I'm always trying to find glitches(like the one I found in the mafia demo that made me slide into a car while standing behind it :^l ), so I almost locked it up and got stuck in a spin jump animation :lol

hamchan

Threi said:
she hesitated for a bit seeing that ridley was alive, then proceeded to beat the shit out of him (again). She hesitated for a bit seeing that the (baby) metroid was alive, then proceeded to attempt to shoot it (before getting shot by adam). Either way it's a pretty fucking minor plot point, why the hell is everyone getting so worked up over it? Do fans enjoy metroid because of the unique gameplay style or because they just wanted to craft their own image of the protagonist? Personally I would be more disappointed if canon samus turned out to be a bitch.

Hey, the developers decided to make story a much bigger part of this game, don't tell us to shut up if we don't like elements of it and want to discuss it.

AniHawk

CcrooK said:

1. The Prime games don't count *thumbs up*
2. The first time she faced Ridley, she had PTSD too, especially since that was basically a "surprise". He kicked her ass.
3. He's the main guy in charge of the space pirates, outside of Mother Brain, so she would have expected him to be on Zebes in Metroid.
4. He appears at the very beginning of Super Metroid, so she knows he's there too, and would expect him to be on Zebes again.
5. Not only did she kill him on Zebes, the whole damn planet he was on exploded.
6. It was mainly the shock of Ridley being there, when he was super dead at that point, not that she had to fight him.

The thumbs down stuff was dumb, but she actually gives the Halo guy in Corruption a thumbs up at the end of Corruption for some reason. Kinda makes sense now to think about it, even if it doesn't count.

Boney

Banned
hamchan said:
Do the Prime games not count because of Sakamoto's ego or something?
Seems kinda dumb of Nintendo to just throw away the story of a very successful series.
Take Ridley out of the Prime games and it's all fine and dandy, since he's ony there for fan service.

TruePrime said:
Certainly not the best way to handle it, but accepting the request for help and placing herself under military order isn't anything worse then they could of come up with.

Really all this does is show that if you are going to have a story having you not have your starting ablities just doesn't work, so they either need to come up with upgrades next time or let you be full powered the whole time.
Or just don't explain it. It's a gameplay mechanic, I don't see why it needs to be acknowledged by the narrative any more than how you can die and come back just because you wrote an entry in a journal.

I mean, it's always fun if you *can* come up with some kind of actual explanation behind tropes, but developers really shouldn't feel it's necessary.

sfried

Boney said:
Take Ridley out of the Prime games and it's all fine and dandy, since he's ony there for fan service.
Technically it was a META Ridley. i.e. complete cyborg version, not the real thing.

Also a note about Admiral Dane is he's an Admiral, and probably HIRED Samus along with some of the other bounty hunters to get the job done. They weren't restricted with what they could use. This is what I got out of serving a commanding officer (Adam) versus being hired by the Federation to take on odd jobs.

AniHawk

One of the small touches I liked was whenever you'd load a saved game, the music from the start of Super Metroid would play while it recaps the recent happenings of the game. I think that would have been a far more effective way of "telling" the story, but whatever.

All the talk about what someone with PTSD would or wouldn't do is also pretty funny. Armchair psychologists abound in this world. You'd almost think a person didn't need to go to school for eight years or anything.

Instro

Kard8p3 said:
Nah K.G. was the guy that got dropped in the lava. The deleter was James but he got killed when he tried to take out MB.

Ah right forgot about that, I think the scene where he tried to kill MB, and that point at which you find is body was far enough apart for me not to piece it together :lol

CcrooK said:

It's not like they planned the story for the Metroid universe out back on 8-bit and 16-bit systems. It fits well with what was shown in the manga which came out like 6 or 7 years ago so I think thats good enough. Ridley killed her parents and wiped out her planet, knowing that it makes perfect sense that she has some inner fears when dealing with him. Does it really bother people that much that this is the first game to really explore that?

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
All the talk about what someone with PTSD would or wouldn't do is also pretty funny. Armchair psychologists abound in this world. You'd almost think a person didn't need to go to school for eight years or anything.

Wait, Samus has PTSD? What the fuck did I miss?

AniHawk

Segata Sanshiro said:
Her childhood. Not explained in the games until now because obviously putting story in Metroid throws the fanbase into convulsions.

And that's why mentioning it is so funny.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
For some reason, I don't think I can bring myself to play this. I adored the Prime games, and one of my favorite games of all time is Super Metroid. Sadly I just don't want to play any Metroid game that is sub-excellent. I played about 2 minutes of Metroid Hunters before I shut it off and never touched it again. I don't do this with other game series or games in general. I also don't really want to play a Metroid game to listen to a story.

The Metroid games were always unique in that they were focused almost exclusively on exploration and discovery. The character story archs in the manga were supplemental, and to a large part didn't feel connected to the game experience. I don't want to learn about Samus because she's not the story, the journey is - and Samus is just the vessel for us to experience that journey. Learning about her character kind of ruins it to me. I don't care what kind of character she is, I didn't want to know. The mystery has always been the part that's oh so appealing, and very few characters had that.

Boney

Banned
Extollere said:
For some reason, I don't think I can bring myself to play this. I adored the Prime games, and one of my favorite games of all time is Super Metroid. Sadly I just don't want to play any Metroid game that is sub-excellent. I played about 2 minutes of Metroid Hunters before I shut it off and never touched it again. I don't do this with other game series or games in general. I also don't really want to play a Metroid game to listen to a story.

The Metroid games were always unique in that they were focused almost exclusively on exploration and discovery. The character story archs in the manga were supplemental, and to a large part didn't feel connected to the game experience. I don't want to learn about Samus because she's not the story, the journey is - and Samus is just the vessel for us to experience that journey. Learning about her character kind of ruins it to me. I don't care what kind of character she is, I didn't want to know. The mystery has always been the part that's oh so appealing, and very few characters had that.
You're probably not gonna enjoy it then. But for what is worth, I absolutely adore the series as well and I rank it up just below Zero Mision and Super, tied with Fusion.

Red

Extollere said:

If your main worry is playing a Metroid game that is "sub-excellent," you will have no problem playing Other M.

Top Bottom