• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

RagnarokX

Boney said:
Eaaaaasy there.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Personally, I think it's kinda like a retcon to the character to make it more vulnerable. That's the whole point of this game I think, badass space warrior that is messed up in the head.

Many others think that she's so shocked because she's killed him twice supposedly, and he wasn't supposed be still alive, so it's like a realization that Ridley is her personal stalker and he's gonna get her.

So when people point out that she's already killed him and never acted with fear, I just think that in Super Metroid, she was just filled with rage and was coming back for the baby. Same here, she stands up to him when she thinks Anthony died.

I don't know, I didn't find it as offensive as some did.
It's not like she has a conscious fear of him. He caused her severe trauma when she was 3 and she developed PTSD. His presence in Other M was totally unexpected to her and he triggered an automatic flashback that caused her to freeze up for a few seconds. As soon as she snapped out of the flashback she was all business. She didn't freak out again when she found dead Ridley. She knows she can take Ridley, it's just that she thought she didn't have to think about that part of her life anymore and his sudden appearance triggered horrible memories.

LowParry

I seriously can't find the super bomb door in Section 2. :lol Eh, I'll continue tomorrow. If I had read the manga, then the story would make more sense. After reading some explanations, a lot of makes more sense. But I still have rants.

CcrooK said:
You know what REALLY grinds me gears about the story?

Still haven't beat the game yet but here's one thing that drives me up the wall about what they did.
When you finally get to face off with mature Ridley, she starts having flash backs of whatever. Okay. So why the living fuck didn't she have any issues the bazillions times before facing off with him, and all the sudden now? She's a goddamn bounty hunter. And don't you tell me that the whole "thumbs down" gives her character. Fuck. That. Shit.

How do you know she didn't? Samus doesn't really say anything or show any emotions in the other games. She could have peed her power suit every time she's seen him for all you know. And what happens after she freaks? She kicks his ass.

AniHawk

Oni Link 666 said:
How do you know she didn't? Samus doesn't really say anything or show any emotions in the other games. She could have peed her power suit every time she's seen him for all you know. And what happens after she freaks? She kicks his ass.

And she does it with style. We need a gif of
Samus shooting a charged shot into his mouth without even looking at him because it's so badass

Kard8p3

CcrooK said:
I seriously can't find the super bomb door in Section 2. :lol Eh, I'll continue tomorrow. If I had read the manga, then the story would make more sense. After reading some explanations, a lot of makes more sense. But I still have rants.

Nintendo is partially to blame for that. Even though the manga is canon it was only released in Japan so the majority of people that play this game likely haven't read it. If Nintendo had included a translated version of the manga with one of the games everything would've been fine.

koam

Okay, I need help. VERY LAST PART OF THE GAME!

Alright, so I have 100% of items in every single sector except the main sector where I'm missing two upgrades (i assume missiles). I'm not so worried about getting 100% as much as I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to finish the game!

There are two elevators that lead to the main sector, but both of them bring me to dead ends.

The one on the south east part of the map brings me to the room with the yellow target that I'm supposed to make it to. I'm on the bottom level, I need to get to the top but access to the top level (from the room next door) is locked.

The other elevator (the north one from the main elevator shafts) brings me up to the multi-floor room with a broken elevator and there's no way to continue in that room.

IGN's guide stops on very last part damnit! HELP ME GAF!

All in all, I liked this game. I hope they make a sequel in this style, just ditch the terrible story and awkward controls. This game was way too automatic and maybe the easiest game I've played in a while. Not in a good Klonoa 'this is super relaxing and fun' way, but a 'I'm passing out from boredom' way. More than the sum of its parts and all that.

Quick question about finishing the game
I fought the extra boss at the end, got the helmet and all that. Left and it said 72%. I load up my save, and I assume I can go back and collect things, but would that serve any purpose anymore? I read that 100% when finishing the game unlocks hard mode.

AniHawk

Linkzg said:
All in all, I liked this game. I hope they make a sequel in this style, just ditch the terrible story and awkward controls. This game was way too automatic and maybe the easiest game I've played in a while. Not in a good Klonoa 'this is super relaxing and fun' way, but a 'I'm passing out from boredom' way. More than the sum of its parts and all that.

Quick question about finishing the game
I fought the extra boss at the end, got the helmet and all that. Left and it said 72%. I load up my save, and I assume I can go back and collect things, but would that serve any purpose anymore? I read that 100% when finishing the game unlocks hard mode.

It unlocks hard mode and the rest of the gallery

Beth Cyra

koam said:

Alright, so I have 100% of items in every single sector except the main sector where I'm missing two upgrades (i assume missiles). I'm not so worried about getting 100% as much as I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to finish the game!

There are two elevators that lead to the main sector, but both of them bring me to dead ends.

The one on the south east part of the map brings me to the room with the yellow target that I'm supposed to make it to. I'm on the bottom level, I need to get to the top but access to the top level (from the room next door) is locked.

The other elevator (the north one from the main elevator shafts) brings me up to the multi-floor room with a broken elevator and there's no way to continue in that room.

The last two items are actually after the last boss and on the way to the final marker.

Boney

Banned
koam said:

Same thing happened to me. Head to the room with the big ass elevator from the 3 elevators for each section way. Before the elevator there's a power bomb door in the hall before that. You're all set after that.

koam

TruePrime said:
The last two items are actually after the last boss and on the way to the final marker.

How do I get to the last boss / marker! I can't figure this out how to get to it. Whuch elevator should I be taking? North or East?

Nevermind, read the post above. GRR So much backtracking to make it back to that elevator. What sucks is that I remember using a power bomb too out of desperation, sigh.

Beth Cyra

koam said:
How do I get to the last boss / marker! I can't figure this out how to get to it. Whuch elevator should I be taking? North or East?
Just follow exactly what Boney said and you are good to go.

Boney said:
So hey Segata, did you pick this up yet?
Nah, after hearing impressions and the fact that the Japanese version has English options, I'm just going to wait four weeks for the JP version to be $20 or less like I did with Punch-Out.

etiolate

Banned
To aid him in this challenge, Tanabe sought the advice of Metroid series creator Yoshio Sakamoto, who had very strong opinions about who main character Samus Aran, a space bounty hunter, really was, and how she might behave in certain situations. "[We asked him], what would Samus do if Space Pirates took someone as a hostage and said, while pointing a gun to their head, 'Samus, back off!' How would Samus react?" explains Tanabe of some initial design planning. "What we heard from him was that she would not say, 'Hold on!' or show any emotions. She would just bring up her gun and shoot a head shot at the Space Pirate."
:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome, but I'm really loving the controls and how Samus feels to move around. The first person thing is a cool twist once you get the hang of it. If it weren't for the story and shitty art, I'd be pretty damn impressed. As it is it's still surprisingly fun.

I'd understand waiting for a price drop, though. Granted, I'm only two hours in.

Keep the boring story talk to the story thread. There's so much more to the game that's more conversation worthy than that.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
That qoute doesn't address a single thing that happened in this game so please tell me what point you are trying to make.
Samus is a badass and Sakamoto pulled a george lucas.

Man I've been telling you Rez, the story is bad, wasn't that offended as many of you, but the rest of the game is great stuff.

I do like the art though, it's so bright and vibrant *shrugs*

Rez said:
Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome, but I'm really loving the controls and how Samus feels to move around. The first person thing is a cool twist once you get the hang of it. If it weren't for the story and shitty art, I'd be pretty damn impressed. As it is it's still surprisingly fun.

I'd understand waiting for a price drop, though. Granted, I'm only two hours in.
If I couldn't predict the price drop with fair certainty, I might not be as inclined to wait. But Metroid Prime 3 was at 2000 yen after a month, Punch Out was at 1000, and basically any Wii game a Western hardcore gamer might care about outside of the Marios and Zeldas follow suit.

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
If I couldn't predict the price drop with fair certainty, I might not be as inclined to wait. But Metroid Prime 3 was at 2000 yen after a month, Punch Out was at 1000, and basically any Wii game a Western hardcore gamer might care about outside of the Marios and Zeldas follow suit.

ugh you just reminded me that there is no player's choice this generation

fuck nintendo

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Haha Rez likes it.

I think I'm almost done, just got the gravity suit. I don't want it to end but then again once it does and I"m at 100% I'll move on to another Metroid, probably Prime.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Samus is a badass and Sakamoto pulled a george lucas.
So showing Ridley he is a total bitch, telling 5 highly trained men to get out so she can kick some Space Pirate ass, or kicking the shit out all kinds of bosses wasn't badass enough? Right.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
So showing Ridley he is a total bitch, telling 5 highly trained men to get out so she can kick some Space Pirate ass, or kicking the shit out all kinds of bosses wasn't badass enough? Right.
Hey I'm just a messenger here.

And when the opening week is sub 50k I'm gonna swim over there segata and cry on your doorstep.

big_z

100% the game tonight. overall i would give it a 6/10... slightly above average.

i still think it's more of a ninja gaiden game than a metroid game. consists of nothing more than hallways connecting auto-locking battle rooms. the game is very linear and lacks any of the exploration and discovery of the other games in the series.
controls are bad but work enough that it's playable but that d-pad fucking hurts the thumb quickly. might be the worst d-pad nintendo made yet.

the story starts off cheesy and ends even worse. if you're an anime junkie you might be able to swallow this shit but my god.... what they did to samus is even worse, way to much of an emotional baby to be the galaxies greatest bounty hunter. her character model is unhuman looking as well and ends up looking terrible. some of the artwork you unlock makes her look normal but in the end they itagaki'd her up. someone needs to buy a human anatomy book and give it to them at TGS.

imo the best part of the game was after you finish it and can go back to run around collecting remaining items. thats the most it feels like a metroid. .

i truely hope nintendo gives this game the virtual boy treatment and disregards anything tecmo has done to the series and characters. i would love a proper 2D metroid but they need a developer that can get it right. imo nintendo should have gotten the shadow complex guys to make this game.

LowParry

TruePrime said:

To be fair, Ridley was a clone. They didn't give him enough justice to say he's the biggest baddest boss ever. Cause he really is.

Beth Cyra

CcrooK said:
To be fair, Ridley was a clone. They didn't give him enough justice to say he's the biggest baddest boss ever. Cause he really is.

Are you kidding?
Even as a teletubie he was picking off the GF, I always knew I hated those little bastards.

Boney

Banned
CcrooK said:
space-pirate-ridley-ridley-metroid-prime-samus-aran-pirate-s-demotivational-poster-1234531661.jpg

big_z

Gravijah said:

d-pad on the ds lite is better as it has some light texture to it. i know some people bitch that the diagonals dont work but mine works fine.

the wii pad is the same as ds pad but stiffer, glass smooth and has sharper edges.

RagnarokX

abstract alien said:
For the most part, that's pretty much what I got out of her character up until Other M as well.
That was her character in Other M.
She had one very brief moment of hesitation due to a mental disorder. She was kicking ass for 99.9% of the time.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
youre gonna provoke the villagers with that talk

I ask again, what happened in Other M that makes this not true?

Are you choosing to ignore the scene where she kicks the GF out so she can kick Space Pirate ass alone? Did you close your eyes when she shoved her arm canon down Ridley throat as if it was nothing? Or is your idiot crusade about the game being sexist causing you to forget when she rolled down a Queen Metroid's throat just to drop a Super Bomb and vaporize the bitch from the inside out?

koam

Okay, I just finished the game, 100% first try. It's short and easy.

End game impressions.

Did they rush to get this game out? The beginning is nicely paced, you get power ups every so often then all of a sudden, you start powering up super quickly. Space Jump, Screw attack (which are combined in this game), seeker missiles and a few other power ups are given to you within minutes.

That's just a pacing issue but what really got me is how the game just ends out of nowhere the first time.

You're about to fight Ridley again, only this time, he's already dead. You fight the queen metroid or whatever, that thing that looks like kraid but isn't. During that easy and quick fight, you get to kill the only 6 metroids you see in the entire game. There's a huge build up over the "no freeze metroids" and you don't even fight them (you just fight the queen).

You get this cool cinema scene and you're expecting to fight some super cool new 2.0 version of Mother Brain (a.k.a MB) and then... the game ends..

You wait past the credits because obviously, there's more to it than just that -- they never gave out any powerbombs! Ah ha, the game continues.. there's more.. Okay no not really, you just go back for a stupid helmet, there's no new areas really (just a few new EMPTY corridors), no metroids waiting for you, nothing.

Really a stupid octopus with an eyeball as a tongue is the last boss?

FAIL. Overall, I give the game a 3/5. It's an alright action game but a piss poor Metroid.

MP > SM > MP3 > MP2 > MZM > MF > MOM > M2 > M1 > MPH

LowParry

TruePrime said:
Are you kidding?
Even as a teletubie he was picking off the GF, I always knew I hated those little bastards.

Not enough screen time. And he deserved on more maturity level. We got to see some sort of teen version of him. An adult Ridley would of made for an awesome battle. And we only get to fight him once! Only to get him whacked by some dumbed down version of a Mother Brain. Boo I say, boooo.

AniHawk

koam said:
Okay, I just finished the game, 100% first try. It's short and easy.

End game impressions.

Really a stupid octopus with an eyeball as a tongue is the last boss?

Uh, that's Phantoon, from Super Metroid. And that fight was badass.

etiolate

Banned
AniHawk said:
didn't you know? etiolate has always been better than everyone

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

-disco kitty 7:6

I agree with what someone said earlier about there being a great game somewhere in Other M. It's hard to really pick out what I liked about the game because most of it was frustrating. But I know I did like the overall product, though, not as a Metroid game. If only there was a chance for a fixed up, edited version of the game to be released.

koam

AniHawk said:
Uh, that's Phantoon, from Super Metroid. And that fight was badass.

Oh shit you're right, the flying eyeballs, it makes sense. Having said that, the fight sucked. Maybe as a mid game boss like in Super Metroid (where he was way harder btw). I beat him on the first try by simple pressing left and right over and over on the digital pad while charging and shooting. I lost one energy tank. YAWN.

Edit: Leave disco kitty out of this, that song that plays while it dances was my ringtone for a while.

AniHawk

koam said:
Oh shit you're right, the flying eyeballs, it makes sense. Having said that, the fight sucked. Maybe as a mid game boss like in Super Metroid (where he was way harder btw). I beat him on the first try by simple pressing left and right over and over on the digital pad while charging and shooting. I lost one energy tank. YAWN.

Edit: Leave disco kitty out of this, that song that plays while it dances was my ringtone for a while.

Yeah, I thought the fight was awesome as sort of a test of my ability not to get hit and how fast I could kill it.

CcrooK said:
Not enough screen time. And he deserved on more maturity level. We got to see some sort of teen version of him. An adult Ridley would of made for an awesome battle. And we only get to fight him once! Only to get him whacked by some dumbed down version of a Mother Brain. Boo I say, boooo.

Ridley was killed by the Queen Metroid, not MB.

Top Bottom