• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

etiolate said:
youre gonna provoke the villagers with that talk
It's ok, the story was garbage in Other M, but that doesn't take away from the fun I had running through it. I wouldn't have chosen such a direction to detail Samus' past and inner thoughts, but since they did, I gave it a fair shot. The narrative was terrible, the VA was mostly bad, and the script overall was piss poor(her repeating the word "baby" a hundred time in the intro was the start of it all). It was uninteresting on a very basic level outside of
Ridley's evolution
, and every chance they had to create something memorable was sent to hell. They tried to take a generic story telling method with this game and it did not work out in their favor, at all. It actually hurt the aura that encompasses what we knew of Samus, in all honesty, and not because of her softness, but because of this game's inability to showcase it properly like earlier titles did...but that's just me.

The game was nice as all hell though, with me damn near running through it in a day. I'm actually compelled to turn it back on and look for more power ups, but I'm not sure if I will fully complete it.

Side note: It's pretty jarring graphically going from indoor to outdoor areas. I'm sure this has been brought up, but good lord.
And no purple gravity suit is *thumbs down*

koam said:
Oh shit you're right, the flying eyeballs, it makes sense. Having said that, the fight sucked. Maybe as a mid game boss like in Super Metroid (where he was way harder btw). I beat him on the first try by simple pressing left and right over and over on the digital pad while charging and shooting. I lost one energy tank. YAWN.

Edit: Leave disco kitty out of this, that song that plays while it dances was my ringtone for a while.
Yeah, thats pretty much how I felt about it...but
I still marked out though
:lol

etiolate

Banned
abstract alien said:
It's ok, the story was garbage in Other M, but that doesn't take away from the fun I had running through it. I wouldn't have chosen such a direction to detail Samus' past and inner thoughts, but since they did, I gave it a fair shot. The narrative was terrible, the VA was mostly bad, and the script overall was piss poor(her repeating the word "baby" a hundred time in the intro was the start of it all). It was uninteresting on a very basic level outside of
Ridley's evolution
, and every chance they had to create something memorable was sent to hell. They tried to take a generic story telling method with this game and it did not work out in their favor, at all. It actually hurt the aura that encompasses what we knew of Samus, in all honesty, and not because of her softness, but because of this game's inability to showcase it properly like earlier titles did...but that's just me.

The game was nice as all hell though, with me damn near running through it in a day. I'm actually compelled to turn it back on and look for more power ups, but I'm not sure if I will fully complete it.

Side note: It's pretty jarring graphically going from indoor to outdoor areas. I'm sure this has been brought up, but good lord.
And no purple gravity suit is *thumbs down*

Yeah, thats pretty much how I felt about it...but
I still marked out though
:lol

I woulda stomached the game more if I felt it succeeded as an action title. Instead it was just a mediocre bland action game without difficulty. I'd prefer they strip the metroid theme, and go straight action with what redeeming elements they have. No where's waldo or crip walking, etc. Just take the shooting/combat, add a nunchuk and come up with a new character and theme.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
I woulda stomached the game more if I felt it succeeded as an action title. Instead it was just a mediocre bland action game without difficulty. I'd prefer they strip the metroid theme, and go straight action with what redeeming elements they have. No where's waldo or crip walking, etc. Just take the shooting/combat, add a nunchuk and come up with a new character and theme.
Why?

The game does a great job with hidden items, offering fantastic locales and great level design. Yes it's straightforward, but it's marvelous.
Difficulty is all over the place. Some people find it too hard, others too easy. They never set out to do a hard game, just an action game, and it's very enjoyable. Not only that, it also has Hard mode if you want to try it out.

No nunchuck is needed here. I'm all for offering as many control schemes as possible, and I bet it was a pain for big handed freaks (I kid), but as it is, Wii remote only works perfectly.

Gravijah said:
holy shit forgot about the wii version of warioware... gotta play it!
Oh man it's great. I miss it :(

Boney said:
Why?

The game does a great job with hidden items, offering fantastic locales and great level design. Yes it's straightforward, but it's marvelous.
Difficulty is all over the place. Some people find it too hard, others too easy. They never set out to do a hard game, just an action game, and it's very enjoyable. Not only that, it also has Hard mode if you want to try it out.

No nunchuck is needed here. I'm all for offering as many control schemes as possible, and I bet it was a pain for big handed freaks (I kid), but as it is, Wii remote only works perfectly.

People find it hard? really? I haven't read this whole thread. I'd find it interesting because this game practically plays itself. One of the easiest games I've played in years to the point where the frustrating controls were made somewhat tolerable because I was never close to dying in this game.

I'm not doubting that people could find it enjoyable, and that's nice and all, but to find it difficult? I don't know how to not sound mean here. Other M is too hard? really?

AniHawk

Duckhuntdog said:
Okay guys, need some help. I am in section 2 (snow section), just used the spark shine to boost across a gap, into a save room. I go down a corridor and enter a room with two large rotating columns. I am now stuck as to what to do in this room. I see a node I can scan but shooting it with a charged shot does nothing. What do I need to do?

You might need to climb higher and shoot it again.

Boney

Banned
Linkzg said:
People find it hard? really? I haven't read this whole thread. I'd find it interesting because this game practically plays itself. One of the easiest games I've played in years to the point where the frustrating controls were made somewhat tolerable because I was never close to dying in this game.
Some people here did, not much, and some reviewrs had issue with it. I find it pretty easy as well. Died a few times for being careless, but nothing bad.
It's not as if they set out to do a hard game. And apparently hard mode is pretty hard if you want that.

Poyunch

Linkzg said:
When the game leaked a lot of people were saying it was pretty hard and some of GAF found it pretty hard. It's actually a really easy game if you make use of the Sense Move. However I can see the game being pretty hard otherwise because the enemies dish a decent amount of damage.

etiolate

Banned
I mostly died from the frustrating shit. The Dragon's Lair instant deaths, camera issues, the "guessing" the game does on what you mean to do. Sometimes I'd do the health recharge and press A, but the game wouldn't recognize I had the wiimote pointed up and just turn me into morphball.

boy howdy

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
When the game leaked a lot of people were saying it was pretty hard and some of GAF found it pretty hard. It's actually a really easy game if you make use of the Sense Move. However I can see the game being pretty hard otherwise because the enemies dish a decent amount of damage.
Just ask GameInformer!

The camara in this game is as perfect as it can be. It's by far it's biggest achievement.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
I mostly died from the frustrating shit. The Dragon's Lair instant deaths, camera issues, the "guessing" the game does on what you mean to do. Sometimes I'd do the health recharge and press A, but the game wouldn't recognize I had the wiimote pointed up and just turn me into morphball.

boy howdy
I never died once from those instant death moments because they're all easy to avoid or are common knowledge not to do.

And while I had no problem with the camera you must have been a pretty bad player to die from something as simple as this because nothing could possibly have killed you unless you were already low on health (which outside of of bosses is really stupid).

AniHawk

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh Jesus, there are QTEs?

Fuck I wish that would die already.

They're not really QTEs. Nothing prompts you on the screen except for the stuff that's trying to kill you. Samus has a thing called sensemove, where you press a button on the d-pad when she's in danger of being it by something, and she will automatically dodge it (in a slow-mo Matrix way). Sometimes, as you're playing the game, something will come at you and failure to dodge results in death.

I only had that happen to me once though. I think it's the only instakill thing too.

etiolate said:
I was looking for the exclusive dpad setup to be warranted through and through, but it was only really "great" in a few instances where its taken advantage of. I can understanding wanting to make a point as a designer, but the game would have functioned better had it been fully analog with the design they had in place. The dpad is pretty good in there, so I guess he accomplished what he intended in that regard...but it still doesn't dismiss the fact that it would control even more smoothly with an analog.

Still, the dpad was more than enough, especially considering the difficulty and styling of the game. It's not as if they tried to pull this stunt with Mario Galaxy style 3D platforming or anything, so it isn't so bad.

etiolate

Banned
The lava bridge monster is retarded because it doesn't detect you moving as sense dodge, though at random other times it does. You try jumping over and you still die. Finally you just stand there, wait for the thing to eat you and push a direction at the last second. It's hidden QTE that is lame as hell. There's no logic to it. The whole game suffers from poor logic and poor visual logic for the puzzles.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
They're not really QTEs. Nothing prompts you on the screen except for the stuff that's trying to kill you. Samus has a thing called sensemove, where you press a button on the d-pad when she's in danger of being it by something, and she will automatically dodge it (in a slow-mo Matrix way). Sometimes, as you're playing the game, something will come at you and failure to dodge results in death.

I only had that happen to me once though. I think it's the only instakill thing too.
Which thing is it? Never knew about it.

etiolate said:
The lava bridge monster is retarded because it doesn't detect you moving as sense dodge, though at random other times it does. You try jumping over and you still die. Finally you just stand there, wait for the thing to eat you and push a direction at the last second. It's hidden QTE that is lame as hell. There's no logic to it. The whole game suffers from poor logic and poor visual logic for the puzzles.
fuck me in the ass

Poyunch

The Dpad is almost vital for the Sense move. It would be way more annoying using analog controls rather than digital. I guess you could hold a button and then waggle the analog stick but that in my opinion just wouldn't feel "right".

AniHawk

PounchEnvy said:
The Dpad is almost vital for the Sense move. It would be way more annoying using analog controls rather than digital. I guess you could hold a button and then waggle the analog stick but that in my opinion just wouldn't feel "right".

I agree. Game needed a Genesis/Saturn type pad.

etiolate

Banned
PounchEnvy said:

You could actually have a dodge button that required timing and skill.

Just saying.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
You could actually have a dodge button that required timing and skill.

Just saying.
Yes like Spider-man 2. And while that's good too the fact that I have control of how I dodge feels much more like I have control rather than it being automated.

PounchEnvy said:
The dodge window is fairly large in this game, so I don't believe it would have been a problem at all. More often than not, you can do it by repeatedly pressing a direction regardless of timing.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
Upon rereading, this whole shit is stupid as hell. You just keep running and when the guy is gonna get you you tap it again. Not that hard.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just got an accel charge in bio area. In hologram room that can change back and forth. No idea where to go. Help!!

AniHawk

Rez said:
Just got an accel charge in bio area. In hologram room that can change back and forth. No idea where to go. Help!!

Check your map. It'll tell you where to go.

Which hologram room?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's not helping, there's a super missile door in the way!

It's after you activate the door in the save room with the little ball sized hole in the door.

AniHawk

Rez said:

Okay, that one.
Turn the hologram on and go to where the super missile door should be. Check for any irregularities.

Poyunch

Boney said:
Upon rereading, this whole shit is stupid as hell. You just keep running and when the guy is gonna get you you tap it again. Not that hard.
Yeah it's not that hard to understand.

Kard8p3

Rez said:

It's after you activate the door in the save room with the little ball sized hole in the door.

Turn the hologram on then keep going forward. You'll see a glitch in the hologram at the end that you need to bomb to get past.

big_z

koam said:
Okay, I just finished the game, 100% first try. It's short and easy.

End game impressions.

Did they rush to get this game out? The beginning is nicely paced, you get power ups every so often then all of a sudden, you start powering up super quickly. Space Jump, Screw attack (which are combined in this game), seeker missiles and a few other power ups are given to you within minutes.

That's just a pacing issue but what really got me is how the game just ends out of nowhere the first time.

You're about to fight Ridley again, only this time, he's already dead. You fight the queen metroid or whatever, that thing that looks like kraid but isn't. During that easy and quick fight, you get to kill the only 6 metroids you see in the entire game. There's a huge build up over the "no freeze metroids" and you don't even fight them (you just fight the queen).

You get this cool cinema scene and you're expecting to fight some super cool new 2.0 version of Mother Brain (a.k.a MB) and then... the game ends..

You wait past the credits because obviously, there's more to it than just that -- they never gave out any powerbombs! Ah ha, the game continues.. there's more.. Okay no not really, you just go back for a stupid helmet, there's no new areas really (just a few new EMPTY corridors), no metroids waiting for you, nothing.

Really a stupid octopus with an eyeball as a tongue is the last boss?

FAIL. Overall, I give the game a 3/5. It's an alright action game but a piss poor Metroid.

MP > SM > MP3 > MP2 > MZM > MF > M2 > MOM > M1 > MPH

i thought it felt uninspired more than rushed. the locations are as generic as you can get, at least retro created interesting environments.

i agree with the lack of metroids, hell when they had the shitty cutscene that ejects sector zero from the game i was like wtf? i thought maybe i'd finally see something interesting but nope.

the kraid looking creature was the worst boss fight in the game. horrible game design on that one that comes down to trial and error. then when they follow that up with the horrible story cutscene revealing mother brain is that stupid bitch.... what a disappointment, classic anime bullshit. i would of loved to fight a semi-organic recreated mother brain but nope team ninja shit out another turd.

the octopus with an eyeball is actually a boss from super metroid. i thought it was a nice throwback in this rather disappointing game. i thought it was stupid that samus turns off her suit when she gets the helmet though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kard8p3 said:
Turn the hologram on then keep going forward. You'll see a glitch in the hologram at the end that you need to bomb to get past.
Wow, strange that you can't scan it. Seems random. Thanks guys!

Beth Cyra

big_z said:
i thought it felt uninspired more than rushed. the locations are as generic as you can get, at least retro created interesting environments.

i agree with the lack of metroids, hell when they had the shitty cutscene that ejects sector zero from the game i was like wtf? i thought maybe i'd finally see something interesting but nope.

the kraid looking creature was the worst boss fight in the game. horrible game design on that one that comes down to trial and error. then when they follow that up with the horrible story cutscene revealing mother brain is that stupid bitch.... what a disappointment, classic anime bullshit. i would of loved to fight a semi-organic recreated mother brain but nope team ninja shit out another turd.

the octopus with an eyeball is actually a boss from super metroid. i thought it was a nice throwback in this rather disappointing game. i thought it was stupid that samus turns off her suit when she gets the helmet though.

The Kraid looking monster? If you are talking about the one I think you are then I really got to wonder if you played M2 considering they look almost exatcly alike, one just happens to be 3D.

Boney

Banned
big_z said:

As for locations, it's really reminescent of the 2d ones. I like it a lot.
Sure the sector zero part is a huge cockblock, but everything they've presented has been great. Lots of interesting locales. They even explained the mechanical buildings so it made sense. Such a nice touch.

And that Kraid creature is a Metroid Queen. It's like the most dangerous thing alive. Nothing can top this seriously.
As for the suit, you call it stupid, I say awesome throwback to zero mision. An escape mision in zero suit? Yes please!!

I seriously don't understand these complains at all. It feels like I don't like the story, I'm gonna shit it up to make me feel better.

Poyunch

Rez said:
Wow, strange that you can't scan it. Seems random. Thanks guys!
I guess the devs thought the visual queue was enough.

Boney said:
And that Kraid creature is a Metroid Queen. It's like the most dangerous thing alive. Nothing can top this seriously.
What about a Dark Aether version, hopped up on Phazon, that happens to be controlled by Mother Brain? The only thing that could make it more dangerous would be if it was infected by the X-parasite (too bad that's not possible).

KevinCow

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
I guess the devs thought the visual queue was enough.

Which is kinda bullshit, because every destructible thing up to that point has been scannable, so they've conditioned you into thinking that if you can't scan it in first-person, you can't destroy it.

It seems like there are an equal amount of people downplaying the game's obvious flaws as it's obvious strengths. Why can't the GAF hive mind ever reach a consensus on anything? :p

Beth Cyra

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It seems like there are an equal amount of people downplaying the game's obvious flaws as it's obvious strengths. Why can't the GAF hive mind ever reach a consensus on anything? :p

What are these flaws that people are glossing over?

Poyunch

KevinCow said:
Which is kinda bullshit, because every destructible thing up to that point has been scannable, so they've conditioned you into thinking that if you can't scan it in first-person, you can't destroy it.
:3

I just rarely scan things more than once. If it looks like a vent that leads to a morphball it's probably going to be taken out by a morphball bomb. If it's lockable and I can shoot a missile then most likely I'm going to have to use a missile.

I couldn't even remember the point in which he had trouble because I never got stuck or considered that point anything mindblowing or confusing.

Poyunch

TruePrime said:
What are these flaws that people are glossing over?
Waldo moments, sometimes cringy worthy story moments, um over-the-shoulder moments. I hated all of those but once I got out of them it was pure bliss.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Seriously?

Yeah, I have seen people say that the controls whether or not they work, they should of included a nun chuck option for those that want it. So the controls have been covered.

Several people who like the game have said the story is bad and even some who like say is rough.

The difficulty is uneven, this is clear by half the people saying it is easy and the other side saying it is to hard.

So tell me what issues haven't been addressed? Or at least these people who are glossing over them and acting as if Other M is a 10/10 Pefect game and not a game that they thought did more right then wrong.

Beth Cyra

PounchEnvy said:
Waldo moments, sometimes cringy worthy story moments, um over-the-shoulder moments. I hated all of those but once I got out of them it was pure bliss.

Exactly, that isn't glossing over the issues at all. They have been called out for what they are by both detractor and supporter alike.

Top Bottom