• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
"yeah the issue is there, moving on!" is the glossing over I think that he means

That's bullshit though. If you stop and you recognize there is an issue and you feel that those issues are not bad enough to ruining the experince then it doesn't ruin the experince.

Glossing over the issues would be if people where trying to act like they didn't exist. No one so far as I have seen has done this with anything outside of something purely subjective like Enjoying/Hating the story, and even most of the people who like it say it isn't even close to perfect and it has several issues that need fixed if there is a sequel in this style.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
"yeah the issue is there, moving on!" is the glossing over I think that he means
Glossing over means we're ignoring it. No one's ignoring it. We just don't think they're as big of an issue to the total package as others.

edit: Well I guess TruePrime explained it much better. :p

Giolon

OK what the...Where did Adam
get a gun that can disable Samus's suit in one shot and why the hell don't the Space Pirates all have them?

Dragmire

No matter what the developer does, there's absolutely no way to please everybody and they'll still have tons of bitching from people. You can look at everything two ways,
Samus can either lose her stuff again or something else can keep her from using it. You can either fight all of the same bosses and enemies again or (plot twist) something stops you (in this case Mother Brain wasn't who/what you thought and someone else took care of sector zero and those Metroids).
You can either have linear design or nonlinear. People get lost in nonlinear design, but linear design can make the game shorter and can diminish exploration. You can either have a very Japanese, anime style story or a western sci-fi story (or of course some sort of hybrid). You can either keep the same exact mechanics or adapt them to different controls or concepts.

For me, it was better to just take the game for what it is, knowing it was going to go in its own direction. With all those potential routes, the game did a fantastic job of telling an exciting, new Metroid story. And perhaps it just leaves even more possibilities for the future if this game does well.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
Phrasal Verb: Gloss over
Meaning: Try to minimise the importance of something
You need to get it through your head that some things that may seem important or significant to you may not apply to another person. As we've established in this thread before not everyone thinks like you.

etiolate

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
You need to get it through your head that some things that may seem important or significant to you may not apply to another person. As we've established in this thread before not everyone thinks like you.

Isn't the gist of your argument "We haven't really discussed it because we don't find it important." ?

big_z

TruePrime said:
The Kraid looking monster? If you are talking about the one I think you are then I really got to wonder if you played M2 considering they look almost exatcly alike, one just happens to be 3D.

i did play metroid 2. never made the connection... it's been nearly 20 years since i played it.

Giolon said:
OK what the...Where did Adam
get a gun that can disable Samus's suit in one shot and why the hell don't the Space Pirates all have them?

maybe MB didnt give the order to use their good guns yet.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
Isn't the gist of your argument "We haven't really discussed it because we don't find it important." ?
No not at all. No one is denying the problems. Everyone has established that the game has its faults. What's there to discuss really? The story was bad. "Yes." Now what? Just because no one's complaining about it doesn't mean we haven't discussed it.

Maybe the problem is not everyone is as outraged about the game as you and would rather focus on the things they like rather than dwell on things they dislike.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:

But I have said several times there are issues with the story, but I like it dispite those.

I also was more then willing to say they should've offered a Nunchuck option even though I never had issues with the controls.

Lastly I said that I would of probably prefered finding the items instead of having them locked away but be in my possestion.

I just happen to like the game despite these issues because as I said I never once lost control of Samus, and I found the story of Father and Daughter while rough to be enjoyable.

You are the one that was trying to say that the game was sexist despite the fact that this sort of story is told with both sexes in the lead role several times over in Japanese anime and that didn't deter you from making claims of Sexism.

Boney

Banned
My bad didn't know what glossing meant :p

Flaws have been discussed to death here. There are faults. This game isn't perfect, far from it. But the good far outweight the bad for me.

But then people diss on the camara and I think I'm starting to go mental.

big_z said:
maybe MB didnt give the order to use their good guns yet.
What if it reached her right in the spine causing like a temporal paralisis.

Man I really don't understand the hostility here.

Kard8p3

Boney said:
My bad didn't know what glossing meant :p

Flaws have been discussed to death here. There are faults. This game isn't perfect, far from it. But the good far outweight the bad for me.

But then people diss on the camara and I think I'm starting to go mental.

Yeah the camera was absolutely perfect in this game. When a 3D game can make me completely forget about the camera then it's doing something right.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
Why are you still hung up over people calling out the portrayal of Samus as having sexist undertones?
Maybe because this is a very serious claim.

You don't think it is wrong if I where to attack a game for racism or sexism when it wasn't? I found the claim to be bullshit and you and others where more then willing to try and turn it on me as putting my fingers in my ears and it said something about me, so yeah I am calling you for your nonsenical bullshit.

etiolate

Banned
No, the camera is not perfect. People just have low expectations of the camera because it is Team Ninja. You can lose track of a miniboss in certain rooms because of the camera. North/south corridors were particularly prone to this.

Gravijah

etiolate said:
No, the camera is not perfect. People just have low expectations of the camera because it is a video game. You can lose track of a miniboss in certain rooms because of the camera. North/south corridors were particularly prone to this.

there we go

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
No, the camera is not perfect. People just have low expectations of the camera because it is Team Ninja. You can lose track of a miniboss in certain rooms because of the camera. North/south corridors were particularly prone to this.
I can't even imagine what you were trying to do if you expect to dodge by just holding the d-pad and moving instead of actually dodging.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
I'd like to know what miniboss this is because I've never experienced a mini-boss go far enough from me to go off-screen.

Boney said:
I can't even imagine what you were trying to do if you expect to dodge by just holding the d-pad and moving instead of actually dodging.
I too blame games when I don't play them right.

Kard8p3

etiolate said:

I never had any problems with the camera and I never lost track of any miniboss because of it.

etiolate

Banned
TruePrime said:
Maybe because this is a very serious claim.

You don't think it is wrong if I where to attack a game for racism or sexism when it wasn't? I found the claim to be bullshit and you and others where more then willing to try and turn it on me as putting my fingers in my ears and it said something about me, so yeah I am calling you for your nonsenical bullshit.

It is a serious claim, perhaps you should consider it seriously.

There are reasons people got that vibe. Nobody said its 100% sexist. People observed that it comes off that way and I said it was the product of bad writing and poor character understanding. Even Abbie, the one who mentioned it, said it wouldn't come off that way if this was set before Metroid 1. It's that her gender is emphasized and she becomes emotionally weak that sends off alarms.

People'e response to this, a mixture of histrionics and misogynistic insults, have done nothing to alleviate the issue.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The camera, as of the first mention of Bergman, has been the star of this whole game as far as I'm concerned. They did some seriously cool stuff with perspective.

Love the RE4esque sections. Good moody stuff.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:

There are reasons people got that vibe. Nobody said its 100% sexist. People observed that it comes off that way and I said it was the product of bad writing and poor character understanding. Even Abbie, the one who mentioned it, said it wouldn't come off that way if this was set before Metroid 1. It's that her gender is emphasized and she becomes emotionally weak that sends off alarms.

People'e response to this, a mixture of histrionics and misogynistic insults, have done nothing to alleviate the issue.

When did this happen?

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:

You're forgetting the little thing called hierarchy.

Rez said:
The camera, as of the first mention of Bergman, has been the star of this whole game as far as I'm concerned. They did some seriously cool stuff with perspective.

Love the RE4esque sections. Good moody stuff.
You're not gonna love them in a little while :lol

just for that part, it's too damn slow. The rest is ace. Perfect transition to cutscenes.

big_z

etiolate said:

the camera isnt perfect but it works alright for the most part. considering this is team ninja it's a huge improvement for them where as the ninja gaiden games were so bad the game was nearly unplayable a fair bit of the time.

Kard8p3

etiolate said:
That's great, other people did.

You're the only one from what I've seen to bring up losing track of a miniboss. Everyone besides you that I've seen mention the camera have said it's pretty much perfect.

Giolon

etiolate said:

I don't know about Samus's portrayal being sexist, but Sakamoto certainly gave her Daddy Issues™.

Poyunch

You know it's like that docpan moment in the restaurant. He goes on a date and a some person watches a TV and stares in the same direction as him. Docpan gets pissed because he interpreted that as the other person staring at him and even if that's not what the person was doing it's wrong that he did it in the first.

Being smart everyone laughed at him because that's just stupid. That's basically how I feel about the whole sexism issue.

Teknoman

People lost track of mini bosses because of the camera? As wide as the camera pans out when fighting something like that...i'm not sure how that could happen.

Unless its a boss that hides in the environment.

Poyunch

Teknoman said:
People lost track of mini bosses because of the camera? As wide as the camera pans out when fighting something like that...i'm not sure how that could happen.

Unless its a boss that hides in the environment.
Not people, etiolate.

So...

2ec2aeb.jpg

Apologies if it's been posted.

etiolate

Banned
You guys are like totally self-unaware. You're stringing yourselves up left and right, concentrating on me. There's a whole internet out there with issues with the game. People are not filling this thread with it because they see your posts and think "oh great, not worth it with NFans" and move on. These same people may wonder why I bother.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
You guys are like totally self-unaware. You're stringing yourselves up left and right, concentrating on me. There's a whole internet out there with issues with the game. People are not filling this thread with it because they see your posts and think "oh great, not worth it with NFans" and move on. These same people may wonder why I bother.

There are also several people across the internet that have enjoyed the game. Don't try to act like it is a few crazy N-fans on Neogaf that enjoyed it and that is it.

Beyond that, why would I lose sleep over what the internet at large thinks of a game I neither worked on or have any connections with? I just decided to share and read the thoughts of those on this site, I don't go anywhere else.

Besides my favorite game of the year is Final Fantasy XIII and I am pratically alone in the fact that I think it and XII before it are both among the best games in the franchise. So if I can not worry about people hatred of XII and XIII can't say people hating on Other M would bother me to much.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
Then cite multiple sources that claim they've lost a mini-boss due to the camera. I have no doubt you won't get many because it's a minor issue that shouldn't happen to adequate players.

And seriously you need to get over the fact that we disagree with how you feel about the game. Many people have addressed their complaints about the game and that's just fine. It's just your incessant need to force your opinion onto others that bother people.

People are singling you out for a reason.

Poyunch

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Not people, PounchEnvy.

Not getting in the middle of this little love fest you two have going, but you totally set yourself up for that one.
;)

It's not just me though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
How's the reception been for this in Japan, anyone know? One thing I will say about this game - it's controversial. To the people wanting them to remake it, I think it's a novel idea, but by the time they finished fixing all the problems, we would have a new game. I suppose that's fine, I wouldn't mind a directors/extended cut, but I really want a game based on the third person sections. Everything else should be scrapped imo. Hopefully Sakamoto has learned some valuable lessons here. I'd really like to see a Team Ninja team up again, but I must be crazy cause I'd like to see Nintendo work with Sega/Namco on a F-Zero/Star Fox game again as well. I also wouldn't mind seeing what a Donkey Kong done by Platinum Games Kamiya would look like either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the lava level seems pretty cool.

I was getting sick of the bio area, never did like the aesthetic.

That said, lots of cool ideas in there. Much better design than I was prepared to give them credit for. :lol

Poyunch

Oh Boney apparently if you copied your save that red door would have been unlocked on the copied file. That's what I've heard.

Beth Cyra

MadOdorMachine said:
How's the reception been for this in Japan, anyone know? One thing I will say about this game - it's controversial. To the people wanting them to remake it, I think it's a novel idea, but by the time they finished fixing all the problems, we would have a new game. I suppose that's fine, I wouldn't mind a directors/extended cut, but I really want a game based on the third person sections. Everything else should be scrapped imo. Hopefully Sakamoto has learned some valuable lessons here. I'd really like to see a Team Ninja team up again, but I must be crazy cause I'd like to see Nintendo work with Sega/Namco on a F-Zero/Star Fox game again as well. I also wouldn't mind seeing what a Donkey Kong done by Platinum Games Kamiya would look like either.

He clearly isn't going to scrap the story, he has been building it from the early 2000's, from the Manga -> Fusion -> Other M, granted we may see something along the lines of Zero Mission again but the story based Metroid's are not going to go away any time soon from the looks of it.

Top Bottom