• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Regardless of how it's received I'm just glad that Other M changed the terms of the debate. After 3 Prime games it's nice to have a new console Metroid with a different set of strengths and weaknesses to argue in circles about.

etiolate said:
It's that her gender is emphasized and she becomes emotionally weak that sends off alarms.
Galactic female bounty hunter
- emotionally stunted/PTSD? ... sexist!
- daddy issues... sexist!
- attractive body suit?... sexist!
- killing black people who are zombies?... racist! oh wait wrong game.

Beth Cyra

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Regardless of how it's received I'm just glad that Other M changed the terms of the debate. After 3 Prime games it's nice to have a new console Metroid with a different set of strengths and weaknesses to argue in circles about.

True, but while I didn't like Prime 1 or 2 as much as most I really do hope we see Retro return to the franchise at one point and take another stab at it because I loved what they did with Prime 3.

That and I would just like to see multiple skilled teams working on it so neither style gets stale.

Beth Cyra

bloodforge said:
I ike the 2d Metroid games, I like the Prime games and so far I really like Other M. Is something wrong with me?

Nah, more like something wrong with those like me who really prefer one style over the other really.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
TruePrime said:
He clearly isn't going to scrap the story, he has been building it from the early 2000's, from the Manga -> Fusion -> Other M, granted we may see something along the lines of Zero Mission again but the story based Metroid's are not going to go away any time soon from the looks of it.
Yeah, he even added a very slight story to Zero Mission. That didn't bother me because most of it was told without voice/words. I really need to play Fusion again as well because I don't remember the story being that prevalent. I remember hearing about Adam and him calling her lady, but that's about it. They were also able to explain things about the SA-X, but it wasn't Samus doing the talking. I think that's my problem with Other M. It's the most she's ever talked. They've always been able to convey certain emotions (like fear whenever the SA-X was chasing her or curiousty whenever she first saw the baby loco chicken in Other M) with out words. It's going to be interesting because the next game takes place after Fusion and that opens up a whole new can of worms. It can be a completely different game - more so than Other M was.

Instro

Finished the post game stuff earlier, what a great way to finish,
had a big fucking smile on my face when I saw Phantoon, awesome boss fight and I've been wanting to see him in 3D for years, hopefully next time around they fit Kraid in.
. Really solidified my opinion of the game, great stuff. Definitely some things that need some fixing, but I like what they did here so I'm down for more of it.

One thing that they really should have done though was including the story of the manga in the game, I think it really would have helped a lot of people get behind the story and the character more if the back story had been fully explained within the game.

TruePrime said:
True, but while I didn't like Prime 1 or 2 as much as most I really do hope we see Retro return to the franchise at one point and take another stab at it because I loved what they did with Prime 3.

That and I would just like to see multiple skilled teams working on it so neither style gets stale.
If Retro were to revisit Metroid I'd rather see them approach it much in the same vein that they're taking DKC in. As polished as the Prime series is I've always thought first person was a poor choice for a series where half the fun was flipping around like an acrobat. I can't tell you how relieved I was to see the screw attack back in proper form in Other M.

Beth Cyra

MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah, he even added a very slight story to Zero Mission. That didn't bother me because most of it was told without voice/words. I really need to play Fusion again as well because I don't remember the story being that prevalent. I remember hearing about Adam and him calling her lady, but that's about it. They were also able to explain things about the SA-X, but it wasn't Samus doing the talking. I think that's my problem with Other M. It's the most she's ever talked. They've always been able to convey certain emotions (like fear whenever the SA-X was chasing her or curiousty whenever she first saw the baby loco chicken in Other M) with out words. It's going to be interesting because the next game takes place after Fusion and that opens up a whole new can of worms. It can be a completely different game - more so than Other M was.
Yeah I can see all that but that is what I liked most about Other M.

My biggest issue was I didn't ever feel it was Samus that was afraid of SA-X or anything so much as it was me running away because I would get my ass kicked.

As for the story in Fusion, when compared to other Metroid's (not Other M) there is quite a bit. Also Samus didn't voice because of GBA but I do think it is a good thing she has been given a voice. I just hope they work a bit harder on the script and hopefully the story won't have a focus on backstory as well which might actually take care of some of the bigger problems with both her reactions as well as overall story flow.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
If Retro were to revisit Metroid I'd rather see them approach it much in the same vein that they're taking DKC in. As polished as the Prime series is I've always thought first person was a poor choice for a series where half the fun was flipping around like an acrobat. I can't tell you how relieved I was to see the screw attack back in proper form in Other M.

Maybe that is what they would do, all I know is Prime 3 was a great game and I would preorder another Metroid from them just like I did Other M when I knew Sakamoto was at the helm.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
TruePrime said:
Yeah I can see all that but that is what I liked most about Other M.

My biggest issue was I didn't ever feel it was Samus that was afraid of SA-X or anything so much as it was me running away because I would get my ass kicked.

As for the story in Fusion, when compared to other Metroid's (not Other M) there is quite a bit. Also Samus didn't voice because of GBA but I do think it is a good thing she has been given a voice. I just hope they work a bit harder on the script and hopefully the story won't have a focus on backstory as well which might actually take care of some of the bigger problems with both her reactions as well as overall story flow.
Yeah SA-X would kick your ass to death. They put the fear of God in you without saying a word. She had to get some type of upgrade to finally be able to face SA-X IIRC. That reminds me, the whole concept behind getting power ups in Fusion was that she could absorb things. This is the last traditional Metroid we get with the Varia Suit. Maybe a remake/directors cut wouldn't be a bad idea after all. We are getting a Zelda and Star Fox remake after all so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
That'd be fun actually if they went 2.5D, but I do wonder if it's necessary after Other M? Unless of course they add new and welcome innovations. I like the benefits that come with first person Metroid in exchange of the sacrifices, and I just generally love variety in a franchise even though I have preferences as regards to overall style. Other M is exactly the kind of logical follow up to Fusion I'd expect from Sakomoto, even with its problems. I think Retro is done with Metroid, though.

Beth Cyra

MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah SA-X would kick your ass to death. They put the fear of God in you without saying a word. She had to get some type of upgrade to finally be able to face SA-X IIRC. That reminds me, the whole concept behind getting power ups in Fusion was that she could absorb things. This is the last traditional Metroid we get with the Varia Suit. Maybe a remake/directors cut wouldn't be a bad idea after all. We are getting a Zelda and Star Fox remake after all so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

We aren't sure really. All we know is that Samus now has Metroid DNA (finally making it so when people call her Metroid it is actually kinda true.) but when she absorbed SA-X she got her powers back.

That and she can Absorb the X, if there is no X in Metroid V then we might not be Absorbing anything. I do want to see how the Metroid DNA in her will affect her after the events of Fusion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
etiolate said:
You guys are like totally self-unaware. You're stringing yourselves up left and right, concentrating on me. There's a whole internet out there with issues with the game. People are not filling this thread with it because they see your posts and think "oh great, not worth it with NFans" and move on. These same people may wonder why I bother.

It might be your authoritarian attitude towards people who like the game that makes them shift the focus exclusively to you.

IceMarker

TruePrime said:
We aren't sure really. All we know is that Samus now has Metroid DNA (finally making it so when people call her Metroid it is actually kinda true.) but when she absorbed SA-X she got her powers back.

That and she can Absorb the X, if there is no X in Metroid V then we might not be Absorbing anything. I do want to see how the Metroid DNA in her will affect her after the events of Fusion.
I think you guys forget that the Chozo used Metroids on SR388 as a means to keep the X at bay as they are a greater threat than Metroids in some cases. Just because in Fusion Samus wiped out a space station full of X doesn't mean there aren't more X parasites on SR388 since the Metroids were extinct/endangered that are roaming freely about. Metroid V or whatever they call the Metroid that takes place after Fusion will have some form of X.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MrMister said:
I think you guys forget that the Chozo used Metroids on SR388 as a means to keep the X at bay as they are a greater threat than Metroids in some cases. Just because in Fusion Samus wiped out a space station full of X doesn't mean there aren't more X parasites on SR388 since the Metroids were extinct/endangered that are roaming freely about. Metroid V or whatever they call the Metroid that takes place after Fusion will have some form of X.

Samus nukes SR388 at the end of Fusion with the BSL Research Station, and it is implied that the X threat is no more.

AniHawk

MrMister said:

I thought they made SR388 explode at the end of Fusion.

Samus hasn't been to Tallon IV yet, so there might be trouble brewing there.

IceMarker

AniHawk said:
I thought they made SR388 explode at the end of Fusion.

Samus hasn't been to Tallon IV yet, so there might be trouble brewing there.
I thought it was just seriously damaged?

Samus visits Tallon IV in Prime 1 which takes place directly after Metroid NES/Metroid: Zero Mission... so by the time Fusion happens Tallon IV is a memory to her :p

Nessus

For a long time now I've thought it'd be cool if Metroid V took place years later.

The Federation hung her out to dry, she was their scapegoat. Her bounty hunting license revoked, the Federation would never work with her again, though she continues to operate in outlying provinces.

Her Powersuit died some time later from the surgical removal of large parts of it.

And just take things back to the basics.

Another planet, another plot, probably involving Metroids created from the same cell culture in Fusion.

She'd start out with no Powersuit (but a more utilitarian "bounty hunter" suit, NOT Zero Suit), and find an old prototype Chozo Powersuit, a fairly elegant way, I think, to justify having to find all the upgrades (it also gets her back into a more Samus-looking suit, as apposed to the Fusion suit).

And I'd like a new mysterious civilization, one that retains its mystique, unlike the Chozo.

Perhaps some race that were being held at bay by the Chozo, but now that the Chozo are extinct that ancient force is slowly returning to the galaxy.

Nessus said:
For a long time now I've thought it'd be cool if Metroid V took place years later.

The Federation hung her out to dry, she was their scapegoat. Her bounty hunting license revoked, the Federation would never work with her again, though she continues to operate in outlying provinces.

Her Powersuit died some time later from the surgical removal of large parts of it.

Another planet, another plot, probably involving Metroids created from the same cell culture in Fusion.

She'd start out with no Powersuit (but a more utilitarian "bounty hunter" suit, NOT Zero Suit), and find an old prototype Chozo Powersuit, a fairly elegant way, I think, to justify having to find all the upgrades (it also gets her back into a more Samus-looking suit, as apposed to the Fusion suit).

And I'd like a new mysterious civilization, one that retains its mystique, unlike the Chozo.

Perhaps some race that were being held at bay by the Chozo, but now that the Chozo are extinct that ancient force is slowly returning to the galaxy.

You know... I really like what you said there.

etiolate said:
This message is hidden because etiolate is on your ignore list.

Holy shit, didnt you say you were fed up and out of here insulting us (and I dont know even why didnt you didnt get banned for that).
You are like those woman than get hit but still love (or are too scared) of there husbands and dont want to go to better places.

Wait, im sorry if this quote was sexist to you.
no, im not

EatChildren

For the next Metroid, the two main themes I'd want re-introduced would be to have the game take place on a planet and not a ship or research station, and for the whole Chozo thing to play a stronger role, even if it's just their architecture or getting upgrades from their statues.

robor

EatChildren said:
It might be your authoritarian attitude towards people who like the game that makes them shift the focus exclusively to you.

It's because he filters our thoughts/ideas/experiences through somebody else's theories. That's why we're considered "dumbfucks" and suffer from reading comprehension to him.

I fucking hate this thread.

CoolS

I feel like I'm missing hundreds of expansions.

I just fought that
Lava monster/boss and now I am in Sector 2
and so far I only have 2 energy expansions, 21 missiles and one of those charge faster expansions. There are so many blinking dots, but I can't seem to get any. Maybe I'm too stupid:lol

RagnarokX

etiolate said:
It is a serious claim, perhaps you should consider it seriously.

There are reasons people got that vibe. Nobody said its 100% sexist. People observed that it comes off that way and I said it was the product of bad writing and poor character understanding. Even Abbie, the one who mentioned it, said it wouldn't come off that way if this was set before Metroid 1. It's that her gender is emphasized and she becomes emotionally weak that sends off alarms.

People'e response to this, a mixture of histrionics and misogynistic insults, have done nothing to alleviate the issue.
Sigh. It doesn't matter how late in the series the story takes place. Samus works for the Galactic Federation. She could not follow orders, but doing so could endanger her comrades and would amount to treason. It was a decent gimmick for restricting upgrades mostly, though the varia suit didn't make sense this way. She establishes regrets about her past and attempts to rekindle old relationships. She only becomes weak at one moment
when she has a PTSD induced flashback caused by the totally unexpected appearance of Ridley
. I don't see how this story doesn't make sense at this point in the timeline. Samus spends the whole game being her usual badass self. It's like your focusing on that one brief moment and combining it with the ill-reasoned notion that a woman obeying a male superior officer regardless of context or reason is sexist and turning it into the whole game. Her gender has nothing to do with what she is feeling. It only comes up when she mentions that she had to put up with sexism in the military and that Adam was one of the few people who treated her with respect regardless of her gender.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
CoolS said:
I feel like I'm missing hundreds of expansions.

I just fought that
Lava monster/boss and now I am in Sector 2
and so far I only have 2 energy expansions, 21 missiles and one of those charge faster expansions. There are so many blinking dots, but I can't seem to get any. Maybe I'm too stupid:lol

I feel excatly the same, confession time, i am probably the least experienced metroid player out there, as I got into this game by way of shadow complex... yeah don't kill me... still I am having a blast with this game... ok the long cut scenes so far are getting on my wick... I am only on sector 2.. played it about an hour last night.. gona put some more time into it later...

one question is the level design more point a -b with detours and power ups or is it point a - b but from multiple routes, starting points etc?

I would like to clarify that I had many chance to get into this series, I have played bits or prime and corruption, some of super metroid as well but it is one of those series I start then for some reasone never finnish, I am hoping this game is the one that gets me into metroid fully as it has all the elements I love in a game.. so why can't i sink my teath into it fully?

Just completed Other M yesterday. Though it's a flawed game, I really enjoyed it a lot. Would give it about a 9. It's only when I start comparing it to the Prime games that I get a little ambivalent on it, though it definitely still tops them in many aspects.

- Great level design. Surprisingly, game actually looks pretty good as well, though there are too many metallic corridors. Enemy design ranged from the very good to the very bad (especially that one creature you fight multiple times before Ridley...).

- Great controls. Just moving around, blazing through the corridors, feels fun. Love how it feels like a semi-2D platformer. Really fun, elegantly simple combat system. Dodging feels great. Didn't have any problems with the first person view either. I guess you just have to use it strategically. Could they have added alternative control schemes? Sure, though I personally l didn't really feel like it needed any.

- Being a huge series fan, it was nice to see an effort to flesh out its world and characters more (and with great production values to boot. Unusual for a Nintendo-game.). Too bad about the overall execution. Story would have been good if:
- They rewrote all of the dialogue, and cut it in half. Most of the stuff Samus
says is just unnecessary and makes her look stupid.
- Reworked her scene with Ridley.
- Thought out a better plot device for unlocking some of the abilities, like the
Varia Suit.

- The Where's Waldo? -scenes and the over-the-shoulder sequences were clumsy, but were overall just a tiny part of the game.

- Excellent bosses. Lots of series' favourites returning too.

- Samus is more deadly than she has ever been. I hope they never remove the finishers from future installments.

Is Other M the ultimate Metroid game? No, but it is nice to have something different in a series that is over 20 years old now. I hope the next one (unless it is fully 2D), will be a mix between Other M and the Prime games: Retro's art design, Other M's combat combined with a more minimalist script would be heavenly.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Nessus said:

That's a really great idea but to me the Chozo are still very mysterious. I like the idea of the Federation (or any powerful being) taking away her powers perhaps thru some type of magic/technology. The parts could then be protected by a boss while they were trying to reverse engineer it. She would then have to fight a reverse engineered boss toward the end as well as the main villain. I could totally see that working. Great idea.

Amalthea

Banned
Neon_Icarus said:
the very bad (especially that one creature you fight multiple times before Ridley...).

Do you mean the blue floating thing that shoots rockets?

It's most likely inspired by the prehistoric animal Anomalocaris.

20saeix.jpg

Tyrant_Onion said:
Do you mean the blue floating thing that shoots rockets?

It's most likely inspired by the prehistoric animal Anomalocaris.

Oh, ok. I still felt like they were trying too much with that design. Most of the enemies look great though.

I just finished the game. Took me 7.5 hours with 42%.

The ending came super unexpected. Didn't even realize I apparently beat the end boss until
Samus, Anthony and Madeline flew away. I totally though that snooty officer would mess something up to lead me to the final showdown. The way it was now was underwhelming, especially when one of the games strengths were the boss fights.
I even cried a little because the last batch of cutscenes were so bad
"And for the first time I gave him a thumbs up" It's amazing what a 'big deal' that bland and childish gesture turned out to be.
:lol

It was an enjoyable game overall, though. It's a good take on the Fusion formula and while I wish its quality could reach the legacy Retro build in the last decade its still a nice game for what it is.
7/10

etiolate said:
It is a serious claim, perhaps you should consider it seriously.

There are reasons people got that vibe. Nobody said its 100% sexist. People observed that it comes off that way and I said it was the product of bad writing and poor character understanding. Even Abbie, the one who mentioned it, said it wouldn't come off that way if this was set before Metroid 1. It's that her gender is emphasized and she becomes emotionally weak that sends off alarms.

People'e response to this, a mixture of histrionics and misogynistic insults, have done nothing to alleviate the issue.
Honestly, while I can see an interpretation that leads to sexism in the story (having thoroughly spoiled myself on everything not-gameplay cuz I didn't want that stuff to annoy me *while* I'm playing the game), I really don't think that's where it's coming from. I'm not even really seeing the Daddy issues thing. It looks to me that the Adam/Samus part of the story is a mentor/protege story, a very common type of story in Japanese culture regardless of the genders of the participants.

I'm very wary of cavalierly tossing around the accusation of sexism. Unless you're very sure of your claim, you have basically thrown one of the worst kinds of insults at someone. In this case, someone who is basically responsible for one of the first female main characters in a video game. Is it possible he's sexist? Maybe, I can't be sure. But if I'm not sure, I'm sure as hell not going to make such a serious assumption about his character.

But if you're committed to your opinion that it's a sexist story and couldn't possibly be anything else, then so be it. I sincerely hope in the future to see you discussing the issue of sexism in every game that even potentially has the issue. That goes for G4 and anyone else throwing around such serious claims. Last one to the Valkyria Chronicles 2 thread is a rotten egg!

Amalthea

Banned
slaughterking said:

The ending came super unexpected. Didn't even realize I apparently beat the end boss until
Samus, Anthony and Madeline flew away. I totally though that snooty officer would mess something up to lead me to the final showdown. The way it was now was underwhelming, especially when one of the games strengths were the boss fights.
"And for the first time I gave him a thumbs up" It's amazing what a 'big deal' that bland and childish gesture turned out to be.

It was an enjoyable game overall, though. It's a good take on the Fusion formula and while I wish its quality could reach the legacy Retro build in the last decade its still a nice game for what it is.
7/10

How about actually finishing the game?

Nemesis_

slaughterking said:

7/10

Someone didn't sit through the credits. Tsk.

robor

Segata Sanshiro said:
Honestly, while I can see an interpretation that leads to sexism in the story (having thoroughly spoiled myself on everything not-gameplay cuz I didn't want that stuff to annoy me *while* I'm playing the game), I really don't think that's where it's coming from. I'm not even really seeing the Daddy issues thing. It looks to me that the Adam/Samus part of the story is a mentor/protege story, a very common type of story in Japanese culture regardless of the genders of the participants.

I'm very wary of cavalierly tossing around the accusation of sexism. Unless you're very sure of your claim, you have basically thrown one of the worst kinds of insults at someone. In this case, someone who is basically responsible for one of the first female main characters in a video game. Is it possible he's sexist? Maybe, I can't be sure. But if I'm not sure, I'm sure as hell not going to make such a serious assumption about his character.

But if you're committed to your opinion that it's a sexist story and couldn't possibly be anything else, then so be it. I sincerely hope in the future to see you discussing the issue of sexism in every game that even potentially has the issue. That goes for G4 and anyone else throwing around such serious claims. Last one to the Valkyria Chronicles 2 thread is a rotten egg!

:lol :lol :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Just saw this on IGN and found it interesting. The interview in question was in March 2010 @ GDC regarding Metroid Dread:

Sakamoto said:
"It's always difficult when people bring up Metroid Dread. The only thing people have heard about the game are rumors. We never had an official announcement at E3 or anything like that. I think there was at one point where a little bit of information leaked, but now we don't know how to really talk about the project. All I can really say is that I wish I could put an end to the rumors!

"Oh, I'm not denying the existence of any documents that got out. What we're doing right now, we're waiting and watching and reading the comments to see what people are interested in before we make any comment on the project. So please be patient a little while longer."
The bolded part is what I found interesting because it's the first time I think I've ever heard a Nintendo executive say they were looking at fans reaction to games. I assumed it was a given due to the huge backlash with Zelda and Wind Waker. It got us Twilight Princess and now a hybrid. I think people from Nintendo are listening. I hope they know what parts of the game worked and that although there's a lot of criticism toward Other M, it's only because we care.

I think one of the problems with Nintendo is that they don't give enough freedom and creativity to western developers or the audience. That's not to say I don't love Japanese games, I do. They make the best action games, hands down, but I think they should be doing focus testing with western and eastern audiences. For games like Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Star Fox, etc. they need to listen to both sides before a game like this or Star Fox Assault is released and take the time and fix it. I don't care if the game is delayed. Someone should have caught all of these problems with Other M a long time ago. This isn't the first time it's happened either. Star Fox Assault is the perfect example. The opening sequence was fantastic for that game but then they threw in the third person shooter mode which should have appealed to western gamers, but it was severly flawed and criticized. That's not to say it wasn't a good idea, there were just problems with the way it was implemented and the result is that we haven't had a console Star Fox since.

Anyway, at the end, it's refreshing to have confirmation that our voices are heard. To me, it marks a marvel in game development because of the internet. We really are making an impact and I have a feeling that the next "True" Metroid game will be everything fans want.

MadOdorMachine said:
Just saw this on IGN and found it interesting. The interview in question was in March 2010 @ GDC regarding Metroid Dread:

The bolded part is what I found interesting because it's the first time I think I've ever heard a Nintendo executive say they were looking at fans reaction to games. I assumed it was a given due to the huge backlash with Zelda and Wind Waker. It got us Twilight Princess and now a hybrid. I think people from Nintendo are listening. I hope they know what parts of the game worked and that although there's a lot of criticism toward Other M, it's only because we care.

I think one of the problems with Nintendo is that they don't give enough freedom and creativity to western developers or the audience. That's not to say I don't love Japanese games, I do. They make the best action games, hands down, but I think they should be doing focus testing with western and eastern audiences. For games like Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Star Fox, etc. they need to listen to both sides before a game like this or Star Fox Assault is released and take the time and fix it. I don't care if the game is delayed. Someone should have caught all of these problems with Other M a long time ago. This isn't the first time it's happened either. Star Fox Assault is the perfect example. The opening sequence was fantastic for that game but then they threw in the third person shooter mode which should have appealed to western gamers, but it was severly flawed and criticized. That's not to say it wasn't a good idea, there were just problems with the way it was implemented and the result is that we haven't had a console Star Fox since.

Anyway, at the end, it's refreshing to have confirmation that our voices are heard. To me, it marks a marvel in game development because of the internet. We really are making an impact and I have a feeling that the next "True" Metroid game will be everything fans want.
Nintendo has the most thorough registration/customer feedback/rewards program internationally in the entire industry, and you needed an off-hand remark to know that they care about customer opinions?

Nintendo hears, man. Nintendo always hears. They just don't always give a shit if they have faith in their ideas.

Ok, lets see if someone can help me, bacause I dont know what im doing wrong. Boss fight BTW:
Melissa Bergman's minions fight, were she is controlling them in the middle and some GF are also fighting, and you are still in first person mode.
I have like 35 missiles, and all is good... until i havent got more. Those fucking bugs kick my ass if I use my normal beam or recharge beam, becuse I only have like 3 tanks when I start the fight.
Ive seen that sometimes, when I hit them a lot the turn into golden turtle shells in the floor and dont move for a very little amount of time, but I dont know if that means something

jjasper

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Ok, lets see if someone can help me, bacause I dont know what im doing wrong. Boss fight BTW:
Melissa Bergman's minions fight, were she is controlling them in the middle and some GF are also fighting, and you are still in first person mode.
I have like 35 missiles, and all is good... until i havent got more. Those fucking bugs kick my ass if I use my normal beam or recharge beam, becuse I only have like 3 tanks when I start the fight.
Ive seen that sometimes, when I hit them a lot the turn into golden turtle shells in the floor and dont move for a very little amount of time, but I dont know if that means something

when she appears in the middle aim at her

kiryogi

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:

You don't really need to kill them, you need to focus on Melissa

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Segata Sanshiro said:

This is basically how I feel about this whole issue. Maybe you can see it in Other M if you look hard enough, or want to see it but I think it was the wrong game to target if you feel that way. But sexism is something that's extremely prevalent in gaming, it's something that should be discussed, but I feel this was the wrong game to use as an example. I think G4 or at least that writer should keep the issue alive, though, as it's something worthy of discussion. They should also redact their Other M review since the game is awesome.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Segata Sanshiro said:
Nintendo has the most thorough registration/customer feedback/rewards program internationally in the entire industry, and you needed an off-hand remark to know that they care about customer opinions?

Nintendo hears, man. Nintendo always hears. They just don't always give a shit if they have faith in their ideas.
The rewards thing (what's it called "Wii Points" in the US?) is relatively new. I also don't go off of Nintendo's website for a true objective opinion. Something like can only truely be obtained by a non-partisan, third party outlet like Neo-GAF. I've participated in some surveys from Nintendo, but yeah at the end of the day it doesn't change what I said. This is the first time I can think of that anyone from Nintendo has been quoted as saying they listen to the fans - which must include NeoGAF.

robor

Hopefully Dr.Hadji will post his own analysis on this game once he finishes it. By the time I get my copy everyone else will have finished it. Dammit! :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
SpacePirate Ridley said:
This is a problem! How many people have gotten stuck here? It boggles my mind that some people want to look past this when constructively talking about the game. When people are saying the game is difficult, this is why - not because you have to shoot someone, but because you didn't know you were supposed to.

- To make my point, Space Pirate Ridley already beat the boss. It's barely been 10 minutes since he asked for help. Obviously the boss itself wasn't hard.

After 100%'ing the game I'm torn, as many of you seem to be.

I had a great time with the action; running, shooting, and yes, shooting in First Person as well. For myself, the way Samus moved was what felt the most satisfying to me throughout the game.
As a compliment to that, I loved the camera perspective changes as you would run through an area and switching into first person with the Wiimote was easy and fun for me.
I enjoyed the boss encounters as well although I thought they could have been much more difficult...........perhaps bosses where you had to climb them to get to their weak spot and pull off some damage. More cinematic interaction if you will.

Now the rift.

While the graphics look good in many places, the textures (especially in the Arboretum and certain rock structures in the Lava area) were atrocious and painful to look at. Also, going through the art gallery and comparing those images to the actual rendered environments, so much personality was lost in translation. When I was looking at the art I thought "So THAT was what they were going for there!", in game however, only a small handful of the environments came across as moody, with impact, , or even interesting and memorable.

Why get missiles and accel charges later in the game if there is nothing to fight except the final boss? This is a slightly complex issue with the game design because if I had been able to recharge faster, earlier in the game, the game would have become even easier. But I feel it is much more fun to charge faster, and I would have liked harder enemies, or even any enemies to fight at all with all my powerups.....it feels useless to even have 80 missiles and be able to charge up quickly.

So I started Hard Mode. No powerups at all? That's frustrating/unfun mode.

So, while it is fun to control Samus during the main story, I feel this turns against the game towards the end since you have a boss and some marginally tough insects (powerbomb doors) to fight (until you figure out the best way to take them down) and then a whole lot of missiles, a fast charge, and nothing to see, do, or discover.

For the first time in a long time, I feel that I bought a game that would have made a very fun and fulfilling rental.

I didn't touch on the story because enough has been said about it here. Everyone will have varying opinions based on what they know and like.
Also much has been said about the over the shoulder sections. Boring? Sure. Broken. No. Unnecessary? Probably.
Where's Waldo........pointless and misguided.

7.2 for the number lovers ;-)

DEO3

MadOdorMachine said:
This is a problem! How many people have gotten stuck here? It boggles my mind that some people want to look past this when constructively talking about the game. When people are saying the game is difficult, this is why - not because you have to shoot someone, but because you didn't know you were supposed to.

- To make my point, Space Pirate Ridley already beat the boss. It's barely been 10 minutes since he asked for help. Obviously the boss itself wasn't hard.

I got it on my second try but totally on accident.
I was trying to lock onto bugs when I accidentally locked onto her, not knowing she was even in the room. I fired a shot without realizing what I was doing and all of a sudden the game was over.

Top Bottom