• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
wsippel said:
In the epilogue, there's an elevator, followed by a very long, curved corridor. The navigation room at the end of that corridor is the point of no return.

Technically, the room AFTER that navigation room you mention is the point of no return (and an extremely obvious one at that, considering what happens when you enter.)
You can get that far, save, but decide to backtrack all you want. (Or reload if you enter the following room and feel unready to continue.)

etiolate

Banned
smh at the council of donny

1. Never said I was not coming back.
2. Said "this is not canon" was never said. No I can not provide you a link to something that was never said.
3. Prime abilities like seeker missiles exist in the game.
4. this is the quickest I've ever beat a metroid game.

Boney

Banned
Yes beat him!

Man so good. Gotta go return it now :(

Definately picking this up down the road though, hard mode is so intense.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/23982

RG: For a few years, Samus Aran has been "living" in the United States [In terms of her game's development - Ed.]. Now that the series has returned to Japan, how has it changed? What is the difference between Retro Studios' Samus and Other M's Samus?

YS: The series has been abroad for a while, and has now returned to its roots. In Japan, the game comes out tomorrow; I think that many followers of the Metroid saga are eagerly anticipating it and will be satisfied with the series's return to Japan. Regarding “the Samuses”, it is a complicated question. Nearly everybody has asked about the Prime series, which are part of the Metroid timeline, but are completely different. It has nothing to do with it, but it could be a way to represent other facets of Samus's personality. I don't want to create divisions between the Samus from the east and the Samus from the west; to me, the real Samus is the one you will meet in Metroid: Other M.
Not exactly sure what he means by "completely different," but I would think Sakamoto saying that the Prime games are part of the Metroid timeline would kind of put an end to that.

Boney

Banned
Green Mamba said:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/23982

Not exactly sure what he means by "completely different," but I would think Sakamoto saying that the Prime games are part of the Metroid timeline would kind of put an end to that.
I translated it earlier in the thread, but it's basically that even though both are Samus Aran, they behave different. And the Samus that he wanted to share with the world is Other M Samus.

I gotta hand it to you, etiolate, your hate-boner for this game is epic. I almost want to play it just to see what could drive a man to such grudge-fuckery.

Instro

Mejilan said:
Technically, the room AFTER that navigation room you mention is the point of no return (and an extremely obvious one at that, considering what happens when you enter.)
You can get that far, save, but decide to backtrack all you want. (Or reload if you enter the following room and feel unready to continue.)

Well there really is no "point of no return" for the post game stuff, you can load up your game again after completing the final sequence and it will just place you back at the ship hangar and you can finish grabbing what you missed then. You have to kill the extra boss again and finish the ending to get the extras for 100% though I believe.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Instro said:
Well there really is no "point of no return" for the post game stuff, you can load up your game again after completing the final sequence and it will just place you back at the ship hangar and you can finish grabbing what you missed then. You have to kill the extra boss again and finish the ending to get the extras for 100% though I believe.

That's true too.
You don't need to re-beat it for the 100% to register.
After getting 100% and saving, the goodies will unlock at the title screen the next time you boot the game up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just got the Varia 'suit' (did it even change colour!?), and I'm getting a bit bored.

The linearity is making everything feel so pointless.

Explore this lava area, please. No, no heat suit yet. Yes I know you're melting, not yet. Y-yes, look, I know you're trying to out-run lava, let's wait and see where this goes. Ok, ok, fine, you're being crushed by a beast, you might as well have it. Ok, now I know we were in the middle of something, but drop everything we're going to go visit Ice World. Yes, I know I just unlocked your suits Varia power, it doesn't matter. Ice world, now.

etiolate

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I gotta hand it to you, etiolate, your hate-boner for this game is epic. I almost want to play it just to see what could drive a man to such grudge-fuckery.

Read the SA forum. Their anger is louder than mine. My disgust with the game is just amplified by the council of donny here.

I am more upset at having to explain shit to people who don't listen. The game isn't trash, only bad by metroid standards and entirely mediocre by game standards. It's a budget action title with big money cinematics.

wsippel

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
You should. Not because of etiolate, but simply because it's a really entertaining, fun game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It also has offensively bad "enter a room->hmm, nothing here->leave room->walk in another->watch cutscene in otherwise empty room->wonder what to do next->go back to old room and there is now a thing in a tube to shoot->go backwards->go more backwards->ok, see that door? unlocked now.

laaaaaaaazy.

etiolate said:
Read the SA forum. Their anger is louder than mine. My disgust with the game is just amplified by the council of donny here.

I am more upset at having to explain shit to people who don't listen. The game isn't trash, only bad my metroid standards and entirely mediocre by game standards. It's a budget action title with big money cinematics.
I'm just amazed you're still posting in here. When I play a game I vehemently dislike, I prefer to move on and wash the taste out of my mouth. But you're still in here, reliving your horror on a daily basis even though the game itself is in your past.

You've even managed to surpass my hate-wagon for Tales of Phantasia. It's all very fascinating.

etiolate

Banned
The wave beam segmet with the space pirates is dick poundingly stupid.

"I WAS JUST THERE ADAM"

one bit of dialogue that should have been added

etiolate

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm just amazed you're still posting in here. When I play a game I vehemently dislike, I prefer to move on and wash the taste out of my mouth. But you're still in here, reliving your horror on a daily basis even though the game itself is in your past.

You've even managed to surpass my hate-wagon for Tales of Phantasia. It's all very fascinating.

Oh, well the game is interesting as a piece of study in what not to do. Plus, the histrionic butthurt responses are entertaining if not bewildering.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
Oh, well the game is interesting as a piece of study in what not to do. Plus, the histrionic butthurt responses are entertaining if not bewildering.
Seriously man?

I've never met such an educated asshole in my life.

Poyunch

I'm just wondering why you would want to continue conversing with a group of people who for the majority don't agree with your remarks. There's almost little point in doing so. That is unless you're purposely trying to instigate things.

Aeana

Rez said:
just got the Varia 'suit' (did it even change colour!?), and I'm getting a bit bored.

The linearity is making everything feel so pointless.

Explore this lava area, please. No, no heat suit yet. Yes I know you're melting, not yet. Y-yes, look, I know you're trying to out-run lava, let's wait and see where this goes. Ok, ok, fine, you're being crushed by a beast, you might as well have it. Ok, now I know we were in the middle of something, but drop everything we're going to go visit Ice World. Yes, I know I just unlocked your suits Varia power, it doesn't matter. Ice world, now.
Yes. I've played the game for about 4.5 hours or so, and I'm just so bored. The game isn't bad, it's just not very interesting. Sometimes a mediocre game is worse than a bad game, though, because you keep playing, hoping for that glimmer of potential to explode... and sometimes it never does. I was in that state, continuing to play despite being totally bored, hoping for it to get better until what you described there. It's going back on the shelf, and maybe I'll pick it up again in a few months. Hoping I see something in it that I missed or something, after the hiatus.

etiolate said:

I am more upset at having to explain shit to people who don't listen. The game isn't trash, only bad by metroid standards and entirely mediocre by game standards. It's a budget action title with big money cinematics.
I agree, but there are people who genuinely enjoy the game. Do you have to rain on their parade? Not everyone is going to see eye-to-eye.

Anthony was just as shitty as everyone else, though at least he didn't have a stick up his ass. Every single character in the game, Samus included, was terrible, and needed to be blown out of a god damn airlock. Anthony would have been funny/passable in another game perhaps, but not this. Just, no.

The flying crying baby TV boss looks kind of familiar. Is it a nod to Cave Story? Also, whoever thought it would cool to have you fight something making crying baby sounds is fucked up in the head.

Tenbatsu

Unlocked the gallery mode. Wow at the artwork! AAA stuff! But too bad they are not represented that well in game due to Team Ninja bad modeling especially for the monsters.

Boney

Banned
Hey guys, didn't you know it's ok to insult people for no apparent reason as long as you're not doing it directly?

Tenbatsu said:
Unlocked the gallery mode. Wow at the artwork! AAA stuff! But too bad they are not represented that well in game due to Team Ninja bad modeling especially for the monsters.
Check out Sakamoto's storyboard :lol

Oni Link 666 said:
The flying crying baby TV boss looks kind of familiar. Is it a nod to Cave Story? Also, whoever thought it would cool to have you fight something making crying baby sounds is fucked up in the head.
It's Nightmare, a boss from Metroid Fusion.

etiolate

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:

Nightmare via Fusion.I wished he was a little bigger in Other M. Maybe he grows or something inbetween.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there is something inherently frustrating about people defending something that's clearly mediocre by all 2010 design standards

is there any one thing in this game that actually feels inspired? anything that genuinely makes you say "wow this is fun? I'll answer the second one, the control-scheme and first-person stuff does work, it is fun, but it's all a one trick pony. It's like playing a version of Mario Galaxy where all you do is roll on the ball. I like rolling on that ball, it's a neat idea, but after a few hours I'm sick of rolling on the ball.

the story is not great. but whatever, it's not my issue with this game. the amount of time you guys have spent arguing over something so vapid is literally astounding.

there's nothing clever about this game. it just is. had this not been a metroid game, I'd have been shocked to not see it get the usual IGN6.0esque response from everyone and a three page GAF thread.

Beat 100% what an awsome game.

The gallery is really cool, love the little fun drawings of samus vs the enemies :lol
Also watched the Ridley scene in the movie mode, its actually pretty cool, would probably watch it as a whole one of this days with a friend.

And damn, Anthony is awesome. Who thought when we saw the Remember me guy in the trailer he was going to be in fact a good adition.

there is something inherently frustrating about people defending something that's clearly mediocre by all 2010 design standards

There is something inherently frustrating about people thinking their opinions are more valid than the opinions of other people.

Rez said:

is there any one thing in this game that actually feels inspired? anything that genuinely makes you say "wow this is fun? I'll answer the second one, the control-scheme and first-person stuff does work, it is fun, but it's all a one trick pony. It's like playing a version of Mario Galaxy where all you do is roll on the ball. I like rolling on that ball, it's a neat idea, but after a few hours I'm sick of rolling on the ball.

the story is not great. but whatever, it's not my issue with this game. the amount of time you guys have spent arguing over something so vapid is literally astounding.

there's nothing clever about this game. it just is. had this not been a metroid game, I'd have been shocked to not see it get the usual IGN6.0esque response from everyone and a three page GAF thread.
Nah, it's pretty fun.

Giolon

Aeana said:
Yes. I've played the game for about 4.5 hours or so, and I'm just so bored. The game isn't bad, it's just not very interesting. Sometimes a mediocre game is worse than a bad game, though, because you keep playing, hoping for that glimmer of potential to explode... and sometimes it never does. I was in that state, continuing to play despite being totally bored, hoping for it to get better until what you described there. It's going back on the shelf, and maybe I'll pick it up again in a few months. Hoping I see something in it that I missed or something, after the hiatus.

Gameplay-wise, that was probably the low point for me (the time right around getting the Varia Suit). After that, I thought it only got better. I think it's because you start getting (unlocking) more iconic Metroid abilities at that point. Plus, once you've got 2-3 beams stacked on top of each other, your killing power really ramps up and combat feels like less of a chore.

As for linearity, it's really no worse than Fusion. Zero Mission was pretty damn linear too. In fact, it's better than Fusion IMO, because it actually does open up all the locked doors late-game. Fusion there are just loads of powerups you can permanently miss due to locked doors. Not the case here (plus you have to wait until postgame to 100% anyway which is kind of weird...)

Boney

Banned
Rez said:

I don't know man, I just feel it flows very naturally, always going forward and fast. Areas are varied, and the puzzles simple, but offer good change of pace from the combat. Good platforming as well. It definately has flaws though. It could've been much, much better with just a little tweaking.

wsippel

Banned
etiolate said:
Wow, you really left me speechless there. That's... rare. And I usually love arguing about irrelevant shit. Like games. :lol

This game is a perfect example of how to bring out the crazies that refuse to accept people have different opinions from them, and are instead just "lying to themselves and the world".

Giolon

Rez said:

I don't feel that it's mediocre. Why does that make you frustrated? I don't feel that it's perfect either. I do feel it's a very solid, good game - and a good Metroid game at that.

Rez said:

I thought the story was quite good - one of the best for a Metroid game, which isn't saying much since most Metroid games have no more than "Go here, kill everything" as a story. It's unfortunate though that it's mostly just doled out to you in one big long cutscene right before the end of the game. I didn't have a problem with the Samus/Adam relationship either, even if she has saved the galaxy 10 times over. *shrug* The only real story point I take issue with is
Samus's reaction to seeing Ridley
. That was kind of BS.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SpacePirate Ridley said:
There is something inherently frustrating about people thinking their opinions are more valid than the opinions of other people.
Some people loved Transformers 2. That's fine, I'm all for people being happy rather than tearing themselves apart arguing over why their tribe plays better music than the tribe across the street.

What those people don't do is post long analytical posts on the internet comparing Bay's work to Spielberg . You can like the trashy cinema, it hits all those notes from your childhood and makes you feel happy to be re-experiencing some of it, but don't sit there and try to justify it. You just digest it and move on. Gamers, for one reason or another, probably because we're mostly introverted over-analytical mouthbreathers, insist on trying to justify this, when in reality all they have to so is either ignore the criticism or just carrying on having fun with the mediocrity.

Other M is, by any 2010 measurement, poorly designed. That might not bother you. You might have had the time of your life. I'm not going to hold it against you. But don't act shocked when others call the sky blue.

scitek

Rez said:

Dude, I don't like the game you're named after all that much, but I don't try to dissuade people who do. Some things just are. :|

tomjenkins

Neo Member
Oni Link 666 said:

play fusion

Rez said:
Some people loved Transformers 2. That's fine, I'm all for people being happy rather than tearing themselves apart arguing over why their tribe plays better music than the tribe across the street.

What those people don't do is post long analytical posts on the internet comparing Bay's work to Spielberg . You can like the trashy cinema, it hits all those notes from your childhood and makes you feel happy to be re-experiencing some of it, but don't sit there and try to justify it. You just digest it and move on. Gamers, for one reason or another, probably because we're mostly introverted over-analytical mouthbreathers, insist on trying to justify this, when in reality all they have to so is either ignore the criticism or just carrying on having fun with the mediocrity.

Other M is, by any 2010 measurement, poorly designed. That might not bother you. You might have had the time of your life. I'm not going to hold it against you. But don't act shocked when others call the sky blue.

The difference between movies and games is that there's an interactive element to the games that adds another layer to a person's opinion of it. EDF2017 is, by most measures, an awful game. But it is, as gaming usually tries to be, incredibly fun. The fact that it's still one of the most consistently fun games that I've played in the past decade means that it sits above, as a good game, many of the other games some people love and I despise.

Top Bottom