• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Poyunch

AceBandage said:
Yes.
A second OT is then made and new rules are made.
I wonder if that could happen here.
Please?
I don't even care if it backfires on me. I would just like to have a new OT with adjust rules. If those rules don't work for me I'll move on.

Yeah moving on. That sounds nice.

Gravijah said:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pounch

your name is based on the third definition, right?
OMG I hope people don't know that definition. It was supposed to be a reference to Seinfeld but during registration I didn't notice the typo. Fuuuuu.

wsippel

Banned
Rez said:
there is something inherently frustrating about people defending something that's clearly mediocre by all 2010 design standards
Maybe some people simply see something in this game other people don't notice? Maybe it's there, maybe not - we can argue about it for all I care, but nobody can tell for sure if that thing - genius, artistic vision or whatever - really exists.

I'm a huge Mikami fan for example, and I love Bayonetta and Infinite Space. I was pumped when Vanquish was announced. I've played the demo, and I didn't feel it. I found it... "mediocre by all 2010 design standards"? Or something along those lines. Others would disagree. Who cares, that's just the way it is.
It's also sexist, but I don't think anyone gives a fuck. Not even G4.

Rez said:
Some people loved Transformers 2. That's fine, I'm all for people being happy rather than tearing themselves apart arguing over why their tribe plays better music than the tribe across the street.

What those people don't do is post long analytical posts on the internet comparing Bay's work to Spielberg . You can like the trashy cinema, it hits all those notes from your childhood and makes you feel happy to be re-experiencing some of it, but don't sit there and try to justify it. You just digest it and move on. Gamers, for one reason or another, probably because we're mostly introverted over-analytical mouthbreathers, insist on trying to justify this, when in reality all they have to so is either ignore the criticism or just carrying on having fun with the mediocrity.

Other M is, by any 2010 measurement, poorly designed. That might not bother you. You might have had the time of your life. I'm not going to hold it against you. But don't act shocked when others call the sky blue.
You know, I feel the same way about Metroid Prime, the entire Metal Gear Solid series, modern first person shooters, Mirror's Mehdge, everything from Final Fantasy after 6 (except 9), Smash Bros., Tekken, the entire Tales series, Splinter Cell, Bioware games, and Bethesda games, but the difference is... I'm not crazy enough to ever admit that on GAF.

Gravijah

PounchEnvy said:
I'd love for a mod to change my username now. :lol

No. I will not allow it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, I feel the same way about Metroid Prime, the entire Metal Gear Solid series, modern first person shooters, Mirror's Mehdge, everything from Final Fantasy after 6 (except 9), Smash Bros., Tekken, the entire Tales series, Splinter Cell, Bioware games, and Bethesda games, but the difference is... I'm not crazy enough to ever admit that on GAF.

Well that and you seem to accept that people happen to like different things!

Gravijah said:
No. I will not allow it.

Well that and you seem to accept that people happen to like different things!
Only because I'm not Emperor of the World yet. Once I'm Emperor everyone's favourite food will be curry rice or face the wrath of the Crotchetizer!

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
Only because I'm not Emperor of the World yet. Once I'm Emperor everyone's favourite food will be curry rice or face the wrath of the Crotchetizer!

Crotchetizer? Is that for the Wii?

Boney

Banned
Rez said:
Other M is, by any 2010 measurement, poorly designed. That might not bother you. You might have had the time of your life. I'm not going to hold it against you. But don't act shocked when others call the sky blue.
That's where we part ways my friend. I think the game is wonderfully designed. Every room is different, unobstrusive and identifiable. Not only that, it's very smartly connected. Not as Super Metroid is, but rivaling Zero Mision and Fusion in that area.

And it's gone :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Rez said:
there is something inherently frustrating about people defending something that's clearly mediocre by all 2010 design standards

is there any one thing in this game that actually feels inspired? anything that genuinely makes you say "wow this is fun? I'll answer the second one, the control-scheme and first-person stuff does work, it is fun, but it's all a one trick pony. It's like playing a version of Mario Galaxy where all you do is roll on the ball. I like rolling on that ball, it's a neat idea, but after a few hours I'm sick of rolling on the ball.

the story is not great. but whatever, it's not my issue with this game. the amount of time you guys have spent arguing over something so vapid is literally astounding.

there's nothing clever about this game. it just is. had this not been a metroid game, I'd have been shocked to not see it get the usual IGN6.0esque response from everyone and a three page GAF thread.

"Mediocre by all 2010 design standards" is pure hyperbole, I'm sorry. Honestly, you seem so unimpressed with the game, that most of what it does that's /interesting/ seems to be off the radar.

But most of the arguing over this game, in this thread at least, has not been over whether it's as "modern and progressive" as freakin' Red Dead Redemption. Or whether it compares to the best AAA games of the year. Most of the talk has been arguing whether it has a right to exist at all, and whether it is a "disgrace" to the Metroid series because of either A: the story (knock yourself out there), or B: Why doesn't it play exactly like Super Metroid or Metroid Prime?!

But sure, I'll bite. Here's what is genuinely enjoyable and holla crap, better than other games before it by 2010 design standards: fusing the sticky friction and play dynamics of a 2D platformer in a 3D world with simple but thoughtful and careful use of grid and movement splines. Creating a new kind of 3rd person shooting combat that doesn't rely on target lock cycling or Z-targeting melee circling. Auto targeting that's fun and really works, thanks to a almost always intelligent positioning and mix of enemy types in an encounter. Using these systems to create bosses that manage to bring the crazy butt-clench moments of screen-filling 16-bit Treasure bosses into a modern game and incorporate 3D elements - and first person targeting - without becoming slow and ponderous.

Really, I think this isn't bad for such a "vapid" end product. You know, maybe it's just not your game.

jman2050

Rez said:
there is something inherently frustrating about people defending something that's clearly mediocre by all 2010 design standards.

I'm not even going to read further because the post obviously hinges on the false assumption that design standards in use in 2010 are intrinsically better than design standards in use any time in the past. Maybe if we were talking design from a purely engineering standpoint but, as should be obvious to anyone who's played games before, game design is not an engineered task.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Man, that shit was sloppy as hell, like a neat idea being written down by a 4 year old who poured juice all over it afterward.

I don't understand what makes Other M so bad compared to the rest of this generation in all honesty. I'm not defending the game, because it most certainly makes a few obviously bad choices, but I can say that about damn near every high profile game out at the moment.

etiolate said:
Segata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLLdNuOESk&feature=related

Samus = Dude
Chinamen = TN/Sakamoto
Donny = Most of this thread
Ohhhh, I thought it was a reference to donny2112.

Gravijah said:
Crotchetizer? Is that for the Wii?
Unfortunately, the Crotchetizer can only be truly realized with the power of the Cell. Or the Emotion Engine. Or the PSP.

KevinCow said:
Segata we're not friends anymore.
Man, you like, totally missed the part of this thread earlier where I was talking about how much I disliked Prime and Prime 2 and everyone convinced me Prime 3 would turn me around on the series and I should give it a try and one guy told me to get the Trilogy and that was really funny.

I still haven't gotten a chance to play this, which makes me very sad. Just wondering, do we know what the meaning of the 100% ending in Metroid Prime 3 is, in this game? Will we ever find out what that meant?
I know a lot of people thought it was Sylux's ship from Hunters

Inferno313 said:
I still haven't gotten a chance to play this, which makes me very sad. Just wondering, do we know what the meaning of the 100% ending in Metroid Prime 3 is, in this game? Will we ever find out what that meant?
It never happened. Patrick Duffy stepped out of the shower and that's that.

Boney

Banned
Inferno313 said:
The fuck is a Sylux.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jman2050 said:
I'm not even going to read further because the post obviously hinges on the false assumption that design standards in use in 2010 are intrinsically better than design standards in use any time in the past. Maybe if we were talking design from a purely engineering standpoint but, as should be obvious to anyone who's played games before, game design is not an engineered task.

Well, all of that, and clearly mediocre by 2010 standards? Really?
That's quite a statement to make, I've played plenty of other 2010 releases and if anything it has been much more interesting than most of the other games I've played so far this year. It has a few poor ideas but I can't agree with the notion of it outdated or mediocre.

Then again maybe I just don't see that "the sky is blue" and I'm only enjoying the game because I think I am.

wsippel

Banned
Inferno313 said:
Retro isn't doing Metroid anymore and Sakamoto most definitely doesn't give a fuck, so the answer would be a resounding "no".

This OT is not even half as bad as the FFXIII OT thread.

I enjoyed FFXIII

Hopefully I can get my hands on a Wii and play this Metroid. I already spoiled myself with the cutscenes. I have to agree with others who say it's unequivocally awful aside from the entertaining camera work.

The only references to the Prime games in this are some aesthetic choices and the Seeker Missiles. So, no explanation for Prime 3's 100% ending.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the game isn't "vapid", for the record. the ess tee oh are why is pretty much the definition of vapid, though, as far as I'm concerned. I know this because I just googled the definition myself.

But I'll give you that. Like I said, I really liked the combat, the single Wiimote control and the aiming in first person. The camera is mostly flawless. I had forgotten about the camera specifically when making that post, but it is one of my favourite things about the game and is pretty much on par with, say, SMG in that I never feel it and it works perfectly in relation to the control-scheme.

When I talk about design, what I'm actually thinking about is the way the environments are structured, why they're structured like that, how the player can interact with them and how both progression through them and their very existence are justified using in-game fiction. (EDIT: Coincidentally, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are two of the pillars in their respective fields in really nailing this, as far as I'm concerned. But don't get hung up on that, let's talk about Other M in a vacuum for a minute.) In that regard, I don't see anything really memorable about any of it. I don't feel like the hallways that connect the impressive hologram rooms are unique. In fact, the big hologram rooms just serve as a way of highlighting what this game isn't.

Bad, no. Just not actually admirable in any way, from my perspective.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jman2050 said:
I would assume the handsome poster you quoted would have meant 2010 and everything leading up to 2010. 2010 design standards are what they because of everything that came before it.

Rez said:
I would assume the handsome poster you quoted would have meant 2010 and everything leading up to 2010. 2010 design standards are what they because of everything that came before it.
A-ha! But couldn't it be the case that if the design standard evolved in such a way that it was undesirable, that in fact 2010 design standards could be worse than standards from another year?

heringer

By 2010 standards I have to keep moving the camera every time. It's like they don't even bother adjusting the camera anymore, because you can control it.

I love that I don't have to worry about the camera in Other M. Love it. :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rezzie said:
Bad, no. Just not actually admirable in any way, from my perspective.

Fair enough.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the game is revolutionary, or that it has a chance at influencing any further games in the future - it doesn't. It isn't destined for classic status like Prime or Super.
But I think it is still a strong game, for the same reasons as many other posters in this thread, and I feel obligated to reject the idea that it's poor by 2010 standards. If anything, it's failures as a Metroid game are the results of 2010 standards aka the need to make everything streamlined and accessible to the max.
I've had a lot of fun, though, in the end I hope you do as well despite your gripes with it.

heringer said:
By 2010 standards I have to keep moving the camera every time. It's like they don't even bother adjusting the camera anymore, because you can control it.

I love that I don't have to worry about the camera in Other M. Love it. :)

It fugs up on a few occasions but overall it was pretty great in my experience.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I feel the same way about Metroid Prime, the entire Metal Gear Solid series, modern first person shooters, Mirror's Mehdge, everything from Final Fantasy after 6 (except 9), Smash Bros., Tekken, the entire Tales series, Splinter Cell, Bioware games, and Bethesda games,

You sir, are a king among men. Seeing this list gives me hope for the future of mankind.

Anyway, back to the topic...

I achieved 100% earlier. Now attempting to see how fast I can blaze through and start planning a speed run. Here's hoping I can beat in under 3 hours!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boney said:
The camara is the best thing about this game. I've been saying it the whole week.

I've had no problems with the camera. The angles looked good and worked well.
The only potential issue to be had is off screen enemies, but the ability to go into first person view and the auto aiming of the basic shots keep it from being a pain. Plus, the enemies with ranged attacks shoot slow enough so that you're not really in danger of being hit by off screens unless you have super slow reactions.

Which is pretty shocking considering it's a Team Ninja game

Very shocking. The camera was a bigger threat to me than any of the enemies or bosses.

jman2050

Rez said:

I don't like the implication that game design as a whole can be internalized by some sort of "standard", as if the 35 years since Pong till now is just one long line of overarching refinements over time. That's a gross oversimplification if I ever saw one.

Game design "standards" as we know it are more like a tree with an infinite amount of branches, each branch potentially intertwining with another to create a result that may or may not be fun. Yeah, there are refinements within each branch (who wants to select one of ten different actions in an RPG when context-sensitivity does the job better) and you can't say some branches aren't just bad ideas in general (and Other M has no shortage of bad ideas), but in my eyes there's no such thing as "2010 standards." Game design isn't a function of time, it's a function of ability and creativity.

Nessus

Oni Link 666 said:
The flying crying baby TV boss looks kind of familiar. Is it a nod to Cave Story? Also, whoever thought it would cool to have you fight something making crying baby sounds is fucked up in the head.

Spoiler.

It's from Fusion.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
A-ha! But couldn't it be the case that if the design standard evolved in such a way that it was undesirable, that in fact 2010 design standards could be worse than standards from another year?
The problem isn't so much that what's fashionable today is the only way of doing things or that they're even ideal, so much as it is 'if you're trying to create a game in that same space today, I'd hope you'd at least try and make it competitive and learn from the mistakes of others, else stand on their shoulders'.

I mean, I guess if you consider a nice cohesive world or solid in-game fiction to be a worse standard than the games of yesteryear, what I'm saying falls apart. I'm not talking about how the game is paced on a beat by beat basis so much as I'm taking a more wide-lensed view of the overall design ethic.

heringer said:
Which is pretty shocking considering it's a Team Ninja game. :lol
So true. I honestly don't care at all for team ninja outside of their animation, so I admit I ate my share of crow when it came to the camera. I thought it would mess up at some point even though none of the footage ever really lead me to believe it would, but to my surprise and their credit, they made the best decision possible instead of trying to do some wacked out shit that would be out of their league to pull off. Not saying this soley because it is a metroid title(i dont really appreciate it in that regard), but it is most certainly one nice ride and my favorite team ninja game so far.

They did pay a few homages I wouldn't have guessed they would, so plus one for that.

jman2050

Rez said:
I mean, I guess if you consider a nice cohesive world or solid in-game fiction to be a worse standard than the games of yesteryear, what I'm saying falls apart. I'm not talking about how the game is paced on a beat by beat basis so much as I'm taking a more wide-lensed view of the overall design ethic.

It's not so much that it's "worse" than the games of yesteryear. It's that, for many people, its presence is irrelevant. So whether it does the whole cohesive world thing right or not is not an issue in the first place.

Beth Cyra

Snuggler said:
Fair enough.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the game is revolutionary, or that it has a chance at influencing any further games in the future - it doesn't. It isn't destined for classic status like Prime or Super.
But I think it is still a strong game, for the same reasons as many other posters in this thread, and I feel obligated to reject the idea that it's poor by 2010 standards. If anything, it's failures as a Metroid game are the results of 2010 standards aka the need to make everything streamlined and accessible to the max.
I've had a lot of fun, though, in the end I hope you do as well despite your gripes with it.

A game doesn't have to be a classic to influence games going forward. One of the biggest new IP's this gen was influenced by a game that know one pratically cared for last gen.

That and while Metroid Prime is a classic among most Metroid fans and will be continued to be viewed as such it didn't and probably never will influence how games are made either.

So it isn't impossible that Other M could be used as the jumping off point for action games going forward, honestly I don't see this being the case but if a developer plays it and sees something about the game that would work well we could see a shift.

Just like we did when Epic took notice of the blind/cover fire from .Killswitch

Top Bottom