• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Rez said:
The problem isn't so much that what's fashionable today is the only way of doing things or that they're even ideal, so much as it is 'if you're trying to create a game in that same space today, I'd hope you'd at least try and make it competitive and learn from the mistakes of others, else stand on their shoulders'.

I mean, I guess if you consider a nice cohesive world or solid in-game fiction to be a worse standard than the games of yesteryear, what I'm saying falls apart. I'm not talking about how the game is paced on a beat by beat basis so much as I'm taking a more wide-lensed view of the overall design ethic.
(This is no good. I have to think carefully. I know he's not telling the truth, so there must be a contradiction, I just need to find it!)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Segata Sanshiro said:
(This is no good. I have to think carefully. I know he's not telling the truth, so there must be a contradiction, I just need to find it!)

I wish it was someone not as articulate and agreeable as Rez so it would be easier to figure out how he's wrong.

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:

YOU CAN DO IT, SEGATA! THINK CAREFULLY!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
is it weird that I thought of Phoenix Wright as well while typing that post?

Nemesis_

Other M is, by any 2010 measurement, poorly designed.

2qnxr2v.gif

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, I feel the same way about Metroid Prime, the entire Metal Gear Solid series, modern first person shooters, Mirror's Mehdge, everything from Final Fantasy after 6 (except 9), Smash Bros., Tekken, the entire Tales series, Splinter Cell, Bioware games, and Bethesda games, but the difference is... I'm not crazy enough to ever admit that on GAF.

Sometimes I'm happy that missile killed you.

Boney

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Gravijah, I'm going to need you to transform into my big-breasteded mentor, whose orders I will carefully follow so as to show my meek subservient male nature.
So we're not playing Apollo Justice? Awww

no wait! I see what you did there!!

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
Gravijah, I'm going to need you to transform into my big-breasteded mentor, whose orders I will carefully follow so as to show my meek subservient male nature.

Huh, this is like the opposite of Other M!

I just want to say (and I'm speaking generally here) that it warms my heart to see fans of the Prime series bemoaning Other M's change in direction. I think we're going to have to engineer a new world's smallest violin using nanotechnology.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does this mean I win the conversation? Because, let me tell you, my ego is hungry.

Boney

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I just want to say (and I'm speaking generally here) that it warms my heart to see fans of the Prime series bemoaning Other M's change in direction. I think we're going to have to engineer a new world's smallest violin using nanotechnology.
I think both types should exist.

It means more Metroidz for all of us!

Tain

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, I feel the same way about Metroid Prime, the entire Metal Gear Solid series, modern first person shooters, Mirror's Mehdge, everything from Final Fantasy after 6 (except 9), Smash Bros., Tekken, the entire Tales series, Splinter Cell, Bioware games, and Bethesda games, but the difference is... I'm not crazy enough to ever admit that on GAF

There's a lot of shit about games I'm scared to say on GAF. :x

Owzers

brandonh83 said:
Sure. This game is good.

Metroid Other M fans think their game is good

FFXIII fans think their game is good.

Killzone 2 fans think their game is good

Resistance fans think their game is good

Infamous fans think their game is good

Heavenly Sword fans think their game is good

Halo 3 fans think their game is good

God of War 3 fans think their game is good.

But this monkey knows better.

Doorman

I'd just like to say that this thread is hilarious. Although I'm saddened that it moves too quickly to easily address all points, and sadly I have no basis upon which to argue/discuss anymore because I haven't played the game at all yet. This was easier when almost nobody had the finished product. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
sillymonkey321 said:

I started to type up a rebuttal to this post, but I actually said "why bother" out loud and backspaced it.

sadly I have no basis upon which to argue/discuss anymore because I haven't played the game at all yet.

That shouldn't stop you.

Owzers

Snuggler said:
I started to type up a rebuttal to this post, but I actually said "why bother" out loud and backspaced it.

I thought about not posting that but went ahead. I should have flipped a coin at the very least. It feels like people are just eating up "okay" games because there aren't as many really great games out there.

Boney

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
Metroid Other M fans think their game is good

FFXIII fans think their game is good.

Killzone 2 fans think their game is good

Resistance fans think their game is good

Infamous fans think their game is good

Heavenly Sword fans think their game is good

Halo 3 fans think their game is good

God of War 3 fans think their game is good.

This depressed me. This depressed me a lot. I never knew we'd be in the same position as these :(

Gravijah said:
You guys actually think before posting? I just post whatever the fuck is on my mind at that particular second.
And that's why you're my sidekick!

Anyway, I'm not supposed to burn OTs to the ground, and this thread is getting dangerously close to that, so I'm going to step out for a while and let you guys get back to on-topic arguing about the game.

KevinCow

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:

I thought you hated the Prime games because they don't let you sequence break as much as Super Metroid.

What is your opinion on Other M, which has gone five miles out of its way to force the player down a linear path and made sequence breaking literally impossible?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
sillymonkey321 said:
I thought about not posting that but went ahead. I should have flipped a coin at the very least. It feels like people are just eating up "okay" games because there aren't as many really great games out there.

Eh, I think there are plenty of great games out there. There always have been great games and shitty games, past gens only look better because we forget all the crap.
The point I would have tried to make is that the people who enjoy those games aren't always just biased fanboys who think it's good because they wanted it to be good, we're not all that stupid. Those people exist but I feel it's possible for someone to enjoy any of those games without being a biased idiot.

Doorman

Snuggler said:
That shouldn't stop you.
In some cases that may be true, but it seems like everybody and their mother's credibility when it comes to judging games has been thrown onto the table in here.

Besides, how else should I know which side I'm supposed ally myself with?! D:

Gravijah said:
You guys actually think before posting? I just post whatever the fuck is on my mind at that particular second.
And your posts are still better written than Samus' internal monologues. Of course, the same could be said of the nutrition facts on a cereal box.

KevinCow said:
I thought you hated the Prime games because they don't let you sequence break as much as Super Metroid.
That's because you don't actually read my posts so much as hear a Charlie Brown grown up voice playing trumpet like in your head to a one dimensional caricature of me. You've never acknowledged the nuance of my opinions on the series, and I don't really expect you to start now.

KevinCow said:
What is your opinion on Other M, which has gone five miles out of its way to force the player down a linear path and made sequence breaking literally impossible?
I think one of the biggest problems with Other M is how it funnels the player in directions with series of locked doors, and it annoys me that certain ones remain permanently sealed even after you've beaten the game. I have similar gripes with Fusion, and to a lesser extent Echoes.

etiolate

Banned
sfried said:
Nope, not the combat it ain't. It worked remarkably well without getting stale.

whaa

its mash dpad
unleash that charge shot
maybe a missile here
maybe a run up and finish move here

repeat

This is why the epilogue still annoyed me, because the you have to go through that pattern yet again with the power bomb bugs.

The
lava whale
is the best boss because you actually do something different.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
whaa

its mash dpad
unleash that charge shot
maybe a missile here
maybe a run up and finish move here

repeat

This is why the epilogue still annoyed me, because the you have to go through that pattern yet again with the power bomb bugs.

The
lava whale
is the best boss because you actually do something different.
You're out of your element

Doorman

I Push Fat Kids said:
Is it weird I really like switching viewpoints? I think it works great.
Obviously it means that your taste is terrible and you're only fooling yourself into liking the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I Push Fat Kids said:
Is it weird I really like switching viewpoints? I think it works great.
I really like it too.

Kevtones

I don't get frustrated, I just get anxious. I think it totally heightens the tension and it makes those crucial shots actually feel crucial.

Also, I'm finding the combat to be quite elegant. It's not particularly deep, but it's well presented and it definitely rewards you for making the right choices.

etiolate

Banned
The thing with 3rd person/1st person is that it reminds you of the limits of the game, that you're playing a game and disconnects you from the story/illusion. Considering how much emphasis is put on story, thats a big design flaw.

Also, it can get annoying in battle.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Once I'm Emperor everyone's favourite food will be curry rice or face the wrath of the Crotchetizer!

In the end, at least Mr. Sanshiro and I at least agree on something important. Curry rice rules over all.

Kevtones

etiolate said:
The thing with 3rd person/1st person is that it reminds you of the limits of the game, that you're playing a game and disconnects you from the story/illusion. Considering how much emphasis is put on story, thats a big design flaw.

Eh, only if you let it. You can nitpick stuff like that in just about any game. Immersion is about the player adapting to what's communicated to them and I think the same is true for this game.

Top Bottom