• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

etiolate

Banned
Prime is canon, it's a sidestory but not a separate entity. It's a trilogy about phazon and the Chozo stuff links in with ZM and SM. It's never been said "NOT CANON HERE". There was some thing a nintendo press release, but that release said Prime followed a different design which is laughable enough that I don't think the person in charge really knew what they were getting into.

farnham

Banned
Wizpig said:
Is Sakamoto really retconning 3/4 of Metroid when he makes Samus say that this mission on the BottleShip is the first one with the galactic federation after she left?

What about Prime 3?
What about Metroid 2 where the order came from the federation?

Why does he insist on having a plot and then... this happens?

Not to mention that Metroid Fusion has a better plot in every aspect.
Fusion is linear, too, but you actually feel alone in that game.
Also, the X & Metroid thing was pretty cool, and ground-breaking for the series.
actually i liked the fact that you are not alone in this game.

i did not care about lyle, maurice and kg but i cared a lot about anthony

KevinCow

Banned
Crunched said:
Went back and opened up new areas whenever I got new power ups. Contrary to popular belief, the game isn't entirely linear. It sort of closes in on you 3/4 of the way through because it wants the story to funnel you along, but up until then you're pretty free to open up a few new hidden rooms with each power up you attain/activate.

11 hours was for 100%. I'm sure that's possible in 8, but I took my time exploring.

You're not that free to explore. I remember the game locking off every sector except the one I was supposed to go to next every time I returned to the main sector.

Hopefully if they keep this style of gameplay for the next one, it's more like Zero Mission to this game's Fusion. Less story, less linearity, more exploration.

etiolate said:
How did you spend 11 hours on this game?

I spent 7-8 hours on it. Wasted time on the illogical stuff and the lurch, etc. Since the game is just a straight line with some bends, it really cannot be that long without the forced stops.

Some of us like to explore every nook and cranny when we gain entrance to new areas or get new items. I actually backtracked almost all the way through the game a few times just to get the few items I could access after getting super missiles and speed booster and such. It took me like 11-12 hours to get 100%.

I think the difference is that I still enjoyed every minute of it.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
Prime is canon, it's a sidestory but not a separate entity. It's a trilogy about phazon and the Chozo stuff links in with ZM and SM. It's never been said "NOT CANON HERE". There was some thing a nintendo press release, but that release said Prime followed a different design which is laughable enough that I don't think the person in charge really knew what they were getting into.

Well I would like to see where this is stated because every single story piece in Other M goes against this notion.

Sakamoto's story doesn't recognize any of the Prime's, or at least it seems to go against them every chance it gets.

Do you have a link?

Poyunch

hikarutilmitt said:
Some of us like to explore every nook and cranny when we gain entrance to new areas or get new items. I actually backtracked almost all the way through the game a few times just to get the few items I could access after getting super missiles and speed booster and such. It took me like 11-12 hours to get 100%.

I think the difference is that I still enjoyed every minute of it.
Haha yeah. Whenever I got a new powerup I'd go back to a spot I'd notice to try and see where it led only to backtrack back because a door was (usually) locked. :lol

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
You take away the time of cinematics, you take away the time wasted on Where's Waldo and patterns, hell you take away the forced slow of lurch mode and you may have a three hour game.
I thought you were leaving. If you're gonna make stuff up then please don't bother. I'm all for discussion, but I really think you've lost your mind.

Red

KevinCow said:
You're not that free to explore. I remember the game locking off every sector except the one I was supposed to go to next every time I returned to the main sector.

Hopefully if they keep this style of gameplay for the next one, it's more like Zero Mission to this game's Fusion. Less story, less linearity, more exploration.
For at least half the game I used the gold diamond as an indicator of where not to go, so I could explore and not advance the story. I didn't notice sections getting blocked off to me until near the end-game (an hour or so before facing
Ridley
). I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

And I could do without the Chozo statues highlighting your next objective in Zero Mission. I'd like a game with more organic clues, something more subtle.
Boney said:
I thought you were leaving. If you're gonna make stuff up then please don't bother. I'm all for discussion, but I really think you've lost your mind.
I've been giving him a break since both our tags involve genitals.

Owzers

Finished! Took around 8 hours. I died 3 times at the very very last "fight" and i think the game took mercy on me because the next time i tried, hitting the "boss" once ended the game. Yay mercy kill.

Overall my impressions of the game hasn't really changed. It's an okay game that was worth renting but i'm glad i didn't buy it.

Poyunch

Boney said:
Everything about this post I agree with.

Instro

sillymonkey321 said:
Finished! Took around 8 hours. I died 3 times at the very very last "fight" and i think the game took mercy on me because the next time i tried, hitting the "boss" once ended the game. Yay mercy kill.

Overall my impressions of the game hasn't really changed. It's an okay game that was worth renting but i'm glad i didn't buy it.

If you get the chance check out the post game stuff, very much worth the time.

jman2050

etiolate said:
You take away the time of cinematics, you take away the time wasted on Where's Waldo and patterns, hell you take away the forced slow of lurch mode and you may have a three hour game.

You're free to dislike the game if you like, but you're really being full of shit here.

Wizpig

Crunched said:
What she meant to say is that was her other first mission.
Not sure i get this...

RPG_Fanatic said:
The Prime series is considered separate from the main Metroid storyline by Sakamoto.
Sorry, but I've got to say that Sakamoto is a complete idiot.
Just like IGA in Castlevania he retcons what he doesn't like: too bad Metroid Prime had a pretty cool plot and fits nicely after Metroid 1 and before Metroid 2.

So why should he consider them separate? just because he's the co-creator of the Metroid series and Miyamoto gave Prime to the Retro Studios and not him? what a crybaby.
Samus was referring to having an officer on site giving specific orders throughout the mission. In Metroid 2, apart from the basic order to exterminate all metroids, Samus is free to use whatever method she chooses.
Makes sense and we could still consider Prime 3 canon, since even in that game she doesn't follow orders on site.

farnham

Banned
What i really found remarkable about this game is its pacing. You are constantly motivated to go on as it is clear whats up ahead. Usually i would finish a metroid game in several sittings simply because i get frustrated. Prime 1 took me well over a year to beat Prime 2 took me several years. Simply because i was sick of the game and i came back a lot later. The games were awesome no doubt about that. But in terms of pacing Other M was a lot better.

farnham

Banned
Wizpig said:
Just like IGA in Castlevania he retcons what he doesn't like: too bad Metroid Prime had a pretty cool plot and fits nicely after Metroid 1 and before Metroid 2.
If you consider the fact that Primes Phazon storyline is pretty self contained it could fit in anywhere.

Poyunch

farnham said:
What i really found remarkable about this game is its pacing. You are constantly motivated to go on as it is clear whats up ahead. Usually i would finish a metroid game in several sittings simply because i get frustrated. Prime 1 took me well over a year to beat Prime 2 took me several years. Simply because i was sick of the game and i came back a lot later. The games were awesome no doubt about that. But in terms of pacing Other M was a lot better.
Yeah at many points I had to force myself to stop because that little yellow objective was just mocking me. Even though at times the game doesn't let you go back it's always egging you on to move forward and find a new area of the game.

Prime likely isn't considered part of the main plot because it conflicts with some stuff.

Prime made the Space Pirates what basically amounts to an organized PMC, put Ridley in two out of three games which apparently did not fit in to what Sakamoto wanted, and introduced an antagonist that was for all intents and purposes almost exactly like the SA-X.

I mean, I love the Prime games, I would probably consider the first one my favorite Metroid game, but there's more logical reasons than "Sakamoto is a crybaby" for why they're not constantly referenced.

Red

Wizpig said:
Not sure i get this...
Just going along with the fact that Other M treads familiar ground and seemingly retcons things while also shoehorning in loose connections to Fusion. She'd have to change her quote to something like "this is my second first mission since leaving the Federation," which is completely stupid but also something I could conceivably see as part of Other M's script.

As far as the storyline goes, it forgets the past while desperately trying to keep in mind specific points about the future.
Mafro said:
It is pretty fucking annoying, and rather childish, the way the Prime series is simply dismissed in such a way.
Annoying? Really? Like it is a personal offense?

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Prime likely isn't considered part of the main plot because it conflicts with some stuff.

Prime made the Space Pirates what basically amounts to an organized PMC, put Ridley in two out of three games which apparently did not fit in to what Sakamoto wanted, and introduced an antagonist that was for all intents and purposes almost exactly like the SA-X.

I mean, I love the Prime games, I would probably consider the first one my favorite Metroid game, but there's more logical reasons than "Sakamoto is a crybaby" for why they're not constantly referenced.
Stop making so much sense please. This is a place for villagers and commoners.

Poyunch

ShockingAlberto said:

No it's obviously Sakamoto's fault for contradicting the Prime games. That guy has no clue.

wsippel

Banned
Wizpig said:
Not sure i get this...

So why should he consider them separate? just because he's the co-creator of the Metroid series and Miyamoto gave Prime to the Retro Studios and not him? what a crybaby.
He wrote Fusion more than eight years ago. If anything, Nate Bihldorff didn't take Fusion into account when writing Prime - so why blame Sakamoto?

Mafro

It is pretty fucking annoying, and rather childish, the way the Prime series is simply dismissed in such a way.

Boney

Banned
Mafro said:
I'd consider it the other way 'round, but that's just me.

Kinda like comic books, were other people can take liberties with your character.

KevinCow

Banned
I just think there's no reason the Sheegoth-shaped enemy in the ice area couldn't have been a goddamn Sheegoth. I mean come on.

Mafro

KevinCow said:
I just think there's no reason the Sheegoth-shaped enemy in the ice area couldn't have been a goddamn Sheegoth. I mean come on.
Sheegoths don't exist in this timeline, apparently.

Seems this game makes me nauseaus when playing just like the prime games so I guess I'm done playing for tonight. At least they're consistent I suppose. :(

Poyunch

KevinCow said:
Because Tallon IV's just another giant radioactive planet now. Samus never bothered to change it in this timeline. >:p

Giolon

Ok I just went back for 100% postgame and my inner Metroid fanboy squeeeeed at all the fanservice packed in there:
Phantoon, Powerboming a glass tube, Zero Suit gameplay, escape sequence, Mission Complete
. That just raised my opinion of the game another half a point :lol

MechaX

ShockingAlberto said:

But that goes down to this silly notion spreading around that the Prime series are suddenly not canon because they're not referenced due to their side-story approach. They're more or less self-contained and wrap up their respective plot-threads in the trilogy. What the Space Pirates really are is still dicey regardless of Prime's intervention and if Sakamoto really saw such a conflict with Ridley being in the game, he could have easily barred Retro from doing it since Sakamoto did state that he oversaw the story planning process. It would be something else entirely if Other M established that Samus was doing something entirely different between Zero Mission and II, but for the most part it doesn't really have much to do with the main plot and acts more as a "Here's a part of Samus's career that is not quite as grand as wiping out the Metroids, blowing up Zebes, and annihilating the Pirates, but still a pretty cool point in her career regardless" kind of affair.

Other M and the Prime trilogy don't even really contradict each other factually, and given the trilogy's nature, references to such would have been pretty contrived at best. "Hey Samus, remember that time the Federation and the Space Pirates were fighting over Phazon? It... it has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on in the Bottle Ship but... remember the Phazon?" If like... Corruption heavily intertwined to say.. Metroid II in some key details and Sakamoto subsequently threw that out, then we might have a case to the series being non-canon.

Hell, Other M has inconsistencies with the main games more than the Prime games.

Giolon said:
Ok I just went back for 100% postgame and my inner Metroid fanboy squeeeeed at all the fanservice packed in there:
Phantoon, Powerbominb a glass tube, Zero Suit gameplay, escape sequence, Mission Complete
. That just raised my opinion of the game another half a point :lol

Pretty much this. I just finished that myself and hot damn,
so, ungodly so much better than that shitty excuse for a pre-credits sequence
. My opinion has dramatically improved.

Someone asked but I didn't see an answer, there's an item in the main sector hangar where the ship is, beyond an orange glowing door that won't open, any help?

Ramirez

Finished it just a minute ago, overall a solid experience, but pretty mediocre when compared to Prime 1 & 2 for me. The FP stuff fights you through out the game,
The Metroid Queen in particular was annoying, every time I would get them frozen and get a missle lined up on one, she would pound the ground and break the ice
. I hate how linear the game is, I only got stuck once in the entire game, aside from some of the stupid trial and error parts, namely the avalanche.

The complete lack of music is probably the biggest downer of all, the Prime series had fantastic soundtracks, and for 90% of this game it didn't even seem like there was any music being played at all. :|

the final "boss" was stupid as well, I died to those monsters 6-7 times before I actually caught a glimpse of MB standing in the background, and then trying to line up a shot on her before something would jump in my path was frustrating as well. I still need to beat the after credit stuff.

I would have been happier with this game I think if I had of just rented it, I don't really feel that I got my moneys worth.

Mafro

So I finished this on Saturday night, first Metroid game since Prime that I've bothered to finish 100%. It's been a long time since I've been glued to my seat while playing a game, I was up until around 4:30am on Saturday morning playing it, despite telling myself I'd stop at the next navigation station (that was at around 12:30am) :lol

I think I prefer this over the Prime games - just. I was a huge fan of Fusion, so the similarities to that made the decision easier. I love the gameplay, Team Ninja did a fantastic job with the combat mechanics and I was impressed with how smoothly everything flows together. All the boss fights were great too.

As for the story, I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as a lot of people in this thread made out. Some of the dialogue and voice acting were pretty clunky, but Samus' voice grew on me after a while. It does feel rather strange seeing all this voice acting and FMV in one of Nintendo's main franchises.

I think I'll start another playthrough soon.

wsippel

Banned
Ramirez said:
Finished it just a minute ago, overall a solid experience, but pretty mediocre when compared to Prime 1 & 2 for me. The FP stuff fights you through out the game,
The Metroid Queen in particular was annoying, every time I would get them frozen and get a missle lined up on one, she would pound the ground and break the ice
. I hate how linear the game is, I only got stuck once in the entire game, aside from some of the stupid trial and error parts, namely the avalanche.

The complete lack of music is probably the biggest downer of all, the Prime series had fantastic soundtracks, and for 90% of this game it didn't even seem like there was any music being played at all. :|

the final "boss" was stupid as well, I died to those monsters 6-7 times before I actually caught a glimpse of MB standing in the background, and then trying to line up a shot on her before something would jump in my path was frustrating as well. I still need to beat the after credit stuff as well.

I would have been happier with this game I think if I had of just rented it, I don't really feel that I got my moneys worth.
YMMV, obviously, but I liked the game a lot more after beating it a second time two days later for some weird reason. Probably because most of the annoying parts are a lot less annoying once you know what to do/ expect. I can even see myself beating this game several more times in the future - something I never did with the Primes. Even though I loved the games, they had absolutely no replay value for me. Maybe because they're much slower paced.

radcliff

About 7 hours in. Its flawed, but I'm definitely enjoying the game.

Question for those who completed it: Is there a "point of no return" where you cannot go back and look for the remaining items? Kind of like MP3 right before the end game? If there is, can you tell me what it is because I would like to 100% this in my first playthrough if possible.

Nessus

Wizpig said:
Is Sakamoto really retconning 3/4 of Metroid when he makes Samus say that this mission on the BottleShip is the first one with the galactic federation after she left?

What about Prime 3?
What about Metroid 2 where the order came from the federation?

This doesn't bother me too much. There's a clear difference between being hired by the Federation for a job (Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid Prime 3) and actually working an entire mission, taking orders, and working within the command structure (Metroid: Other M, and arguably Metroid Fusion).

Heh, super nerd time: the original Metroid instruction manual even explains how the Federation specifically created the "space hunters", effectively privateers, to combat the Space Pirates.

And prior to Samus being sent to Zebes in the first game the Federation actually tried attacking Zebes themselves, unsuccessfully, before calling in Samus.

farnham said:
actually i liked the fact that you are not alone in this game.

i did not care about lyle, maurice and kg but i cared a lot about anthony

I was surprised by how much I liked Anthony. I think a spin off staring him, properly executed, could be really cool.

wsippel

Banned
radcliff said:
About 7 hours in. Its flawed, but I'm definitely enjoying the game.

Question for those who completed it: Is there a "point of no return" where you cannot go back and look for the remaining items? Kind of like MP3 right before the end game? If there is, can you tell me what it is because I would like to 100% this in my first playthrough if possible.
There are two points of no return. One in the main game, one in the epilogue. But it's completely impossible to get 100% in the main game, anyway.

In the main game, it's the second time you enter the research facility. In the epilogue, there's an elevator, followed by a very long, curved corridor. The navigation room at the end of that corridor is the point of no return.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Done.
When I first popped the game in on Monday, I reported back with extreme disappointment, hoping that at least the game's status would grow to that of 'flawed classic' in my eyes.

Well, it managed that at least.

I beat the story in about 9.5 hour (with close to 7 of those hours done in a single marathon yesterday) at around 76% of items collected. Today I revisited the game, got the remaining items, and beat the extra boss for the bonus ending. 100% at 12:53:19.

The game's got soooooooo many problems, but at least it was better than Metroid NES and Metroid Prime Hunters. Every other Metroid ranks higher though, IMHO. Most much higher. Could have been so much better. Shame.

Top Bottom