• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Just beat it 3 minutes ago. Count me in the group that liked it. I love that this franchise managed to reinvent itself a bit again despite the minor bumps in the road. That's what I love about nintendo. They use the same characters alot, but they always come up with some new ways to play with them.

jman2050

etiolate said:
The thing with 3rd person/1st person is that it reminds you of the limits of the game, that you're playing a game and disconnects you from the story/illusion. Considering how much emphasis is put on story, thats a big design flaw.

Now you're just reaching.

Also, it can get annoying in battle.

If you're not used to it it could be. I mean, I think dual-analog is annoying as hell in FPSes but that certainly doesn't seem to stop most people from adjusting to it.

etiolate

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Eh, only if you let it. You can nitpick stuff like that in just about any game. Immersion is about the player adapting to what's communicated to them and I think the same is true for this game.

wouldn't adapting be acknowledging the game and thus breaking the immersion?

As soon as you are adapting, you're saying "oh game broke the contract".

It isn't really nitpicking. This game constantly reminds you are dealing with a game.

jman2050

etiolate said:

It isn't really nitpicking. This game constantly reminds you are dealing with a game.

You just described every game ever made ever.

Boney said:
Maybe I don't really know what inmersion means, but I've never been inmersed in a game... ever.
All you need is a large cauldron and at least a good 3 dozen copies of the game. Whether your balls will appreciate a dip in molten plastic is another matter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GrotesqueBeauty said:
All you need is a large cauldron and at least a good 3 dozen copies of the game. Whether your balls will appreciate a dip in molten plastic is another matter.

Or a bag of potent weed.

Doorman

etiolate said:

So...are you implying that any game that requires you to learn its controls and rules is non-immersive? Because if so then jman's statement sounds accurate (at face value at least).

If adaptation to a game's world and structure ruins immersion, then which games pray-tell have you encountered that you've been able to jump into right away and not need any adjustment period for?

etiolate said:
Not really.

In fact, Matt Keil said the same thing pretty much.
Matt Keil also said that the game wouldn't be sexist if Adam were a woman. Matt Keil is not high on my list of dudes who know what's up anymore.

etiolate

Banned
Doorman said:
So...are you implying that any game that requires you to learn its controls and rules is non-immersive? Because if so then jman's statement sounds accurate (at face value at least).

If adaptation to a game's world and structure ruins immersion, then which games pray-tell have you encountered that you've been able to jump into right away and not need any adjustment period for?

There's always a tutorial period. That is expected. The tutorial period is like the fifteen minute contract of a film.

It's constant reminders that do it. Everytime you switch to first person, you are reminded.

Segata: SEXISM deal with it

Bizzyb

Banned
Was anyone else EXTREMELY impressed by the textures found in
the Cave walls found in Sector 3 and the textures on the Flying Green Baby Nightmare??
It reminded me of that One Frog Boss in Twilight Princess.

I don't understand why they don't use MORE textures like these.

jman2050

etiolate said:
There's always a tutorial period. That is expected. The tutorial period is like the fifteen minute contract of a film.

It's constant reminders that do it. Everytime you switch to first person, you are reminded.

You're still not making sense. I mean, what, looking at a HUD or any type of stat-tracking information, getting a game over screen, listening to a game's background music, or looking at an environment that is very clearly not real doesn't "remind" you that you're playing a game, but switching between third- and first-person does? Where does the line get drawn?

What kind of crazy people "forget" that they're playing a video game? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

etiolate said:

Segata: SEXISM deal with it
etiolate: If a situation you think is sexist becomes benign simply by switching the gender of the characters, it's not sexism. Deal with it.

hamchan

I said it before and I'll say it again.

This is a horrible thread and everyone posting in this thread sucks, even me.

That said the game isn't perfect but it's still good. 4/5 is what I'd probably give it.

Boney

Banned
Bizzyb said:
Was anyone else EXTREMELY impressed by the textures found in
the Cave walls found in Sector 3 and the textures on the Flying Green Baby Nightmare??
It reminded me of that One Frog Boss in Twilight Princess.

I don't understand why they don't use MORE textures like these.
I only noticed the lava looked like lasagna.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hamchan said:

That said the game isn't perfect but it's still good. 4/5 is what I'd probably give it.
that's not true, we had a lovely discussion a page or two ago.

Poyunch

hamchan said:

Anthony hates this thread.

28cq9zd.jpg

etiolate

Banned
jman2050 said:
You're still not making sense. I mean, what, looking at a HUD or any type of stat-tracking information, getting a game over screen, listening to a game's background music, or looking at an environment that is very clearly not real doesn't "remind" you that you're playing a game, but switching between third- and first-person does? Where does the line get drawn?

What kind of crazy people "forget" that they're playing a video game? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

You're not understanding. It is the physical act of switching that does it, becoming disorientated from the change in perspective and the change in direction.

You mentioned a HUD, at first you notice the HUD, but then you get use to it because it is constantly there. Now the size of the HUD can be distracting. I don't get immersed into WoW because there's a lot of HUD involvement, but a game like Ico tries to remove as much HUD as possible. I can still get involved with a game with a HUD though if its reasoable and constant.

The Wiimote handling is a physical act, happens here or there and never becomes something I don't think about.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hamchan said:
Anthony's just thinking of how many positions he can get Samus in after the mission is done.
that's se -

etiolate

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
etiolate: If a situation you think is sexist becomes benign simply by switching the gender of the characters, it's not sexism. Deal with it.

I am referring to your apprehension at the very subject.

Doorman

etiolate said:
You're not understanding. It is the physical act of switching that does it, becoming disorientated from the change in perspective and the change in direction.

You mentioned a HUD, at first you notice the HUD, but then you get use to it because it is constantly there. Now the size of the HUD can be distracting. I don't get immersed into WoW because there's a lot of HUD involvement, but a game like Ico tries to remove as much HUD as possible. I can still get involved with a game with a HUD though if its reasoable and constant.

The Wiimote handling is a physical act, happens here or there and never becomes something I don't think about.
And, hurrah, this entire post is based in your own subjective gaming experiences. Then again, the impact of immersion in a game in general is a purely subjective matter to begin with. Perhaps a HUD that isn't distracting for you but is for someone else. And perhaps some people have no trouble switching from third to first person and can do it seamlessly without it damaging their experience. I could be mistaken but I believe there are several reviews and impressions that, after some time of getting used to it, had no such issues with that gameplay mechanic, at least not to the level of detriment that you're placing it.

Can't you just admit that you personally had a bad time with the game and move on? This game is so damn inconsistent regarding people's reactions, and not everyone has the same hang-ups as you.

etiolate said:
I am referring to your apprehension at the very subject.
I would say my reaction to the subject has been anything but apprehensive. I do feel it's very serious to accuse someone of something like that without any strong evidence, but I think framed the right way, most people would agree. Additionally, I feel that review in general, the video follow-up, and Matt's responses in here kind of destroyed any respect I had for the opinions of Matt and G4, something which I'm sure they care not even a little about but something I will continue to bring up if you use them as a reference.

braves01

Banned
I hope the next game's story focuses on Samus' and Higgins' sexual history at the academy. Hell, the entire game structure could be centered around going to school at the academy. I just hope there's no more blatant sexism that keeps the game from being fun.

braves01 said:
I hope the next game's story focuses on Samus' and Higgins' sexual history at the academy. Hell, the entire game structure could be centered around going to school at the academy. I just hope there's no more blatant sexism that keeps the game from being fun.
"Academy" makes me think the game will be like Valkyria 2 and focused on anime school hijinks.

I kind of want that just to see the reaction.

etiolate

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I would say my reaction to the subject has been anything but apprehensive. I do feel it's very serious to accuse someone of something like that without any strong evidence, but I think framed the right way, most people would agree. Additionally, I feel that review in general, the video follow-up, and Matt's responses in here kind of destroyed any respect I had for the opinions of Matt and G4, something which I'm sure they care not even a little about but something I will continue to bring up if you use them as a reference.

Matt and Abbie explained the issue fairly well I thought.

To think people throw the term sexism around willy nilly in gaming is kind of silly.

robor

Guys, why are you responding to someone who lacks a severe amount of pattern recognition? He called us dumbfucks, leaves the thread and comes back and indulges in the same meanderings like the past blip never existed.

He's following the proverbial carrot, except he doesn't realize the carrot's tied to his ass. He believes he's following it, when in reality, he's pushing it.

etiolate

Banned
When did I say I was leaving the thread.

Read the words I say and stop trying to conjure up the sentiment.

edit: wait pattern recognition? wtf

hamchan

etiolate said:
When did I say I was leaving the thread.

Read the words I say and stop trying to conjure up the sentiment.

edit: wait pattern recognition? wtf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23157165&postcount=6654

etiolate said:
I hereby renounce everything I have said in defense of Nintendo fans. You dumbfucks are on your own from here on out.

to the person that asked about game narrative:
http://web.mit.edu/cms/People/henry3/games&narrative.html

to all future replies to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foXJfWlgoM

Certainly seemed like you were leaving!

etiolate said:
Matt and Abbie explained the issue fairly well I thought.

To think people throw the term sexism around willy nilly in gaming is kind of silly.
And yet, they did. The simple point of Matt saying that the game would not be sexist if Adam was a woman even if everything else remained constant shows the truth of the matter. They didn't provide sufficient justification to hurl a very serious accusation the way they did. You like to drop the education card in this thread, etiolate. I suggest you educate yourself about gender studies.

What they did is no better than if I accused Abbie of being racist against Japanese for giving Metroid a low score. No better at all.

Kard8p3

KevinCow said:
Does it really matter if it was sexism or not? The game took a giant shit on Samus as a character, that's what matters.

Personally I thought the character of Samus was handled fine in the game but to each his own.

Koodo

Banned
Only have one upgrade left and I'm stuck like a motherfucker. HELP.

The last upgrade is in the room with Samus' ship. There's a door leading to the place where the thing is, but that door is locked. :c

Edit: oh, there it was.

etiolate

Banned
KevinCow said:
Does it really matter if it was sexism or not? The game took a giant shit on Samus as a character, that's what matters.

yup, though the two are related

hamchan: reading comprehension yo

KoffiiKat

"It's Metroid, but not as you know it."

I actually find myself enjoying the game so far (and the widespread sentiment that the last third is the best is certainly encouraging). Of course, having my initial expectations lowered by this thread probably helped a lot, too. :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gravijah said:
Hey motherfuckers, I'm back from Wal Mart. How is the sexism & outdated game design going?

Dumbfuck 'intendo fans are unable to articulate an answer 'cause they have no education and mainly just nomnom on one end of thar keyboards with eyes crossed :( :( :(

When I grow up I want to be a Sony fan. They has HD games with better movies sos you can writes essays about them :(

*NOMS*

hamchan

etiolate said:
yup, though the two are related

hamchan: reading comprehension yo

My comprehension is great, it's just hard to comprehend a badly written post. A lot of people thought you were leaving from that post.

Bizzyb

Banned
Boney said:
I only noticed the lava looked like lasagna.

What the hell is with you and you're changing avatar??

Anyways I can't believe no one else was impressed by At least the textures on the
Green Baby's face.
It seriously reminded me of something you see regularly on the 360/PS3.

Top Bottom