• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

He grabs you, scrapes you along the wall and you have to fire your beam cannon into his mouth (press and hold fire, release at the appropriate moment) or eat a face full of fire. I had him do the QTE on me three times in a row, even had a glitch on the third QTE where I was holding down fire, my shot wasn't charging and all I could do was eat the face full of fire.

It was a cool fight, and one of the rare times there was actually music playing in the background, the lethal strike was badass
he's down on the ground, panting with exhaustion, Samus runs up, inserts her beam cannon into his mouth and fires
but damn that QTE was annoying. It just happened so many times.

donkey show said:
I'd hardly call charging your beam a QTE.

A mini-non-interactive sequence plays out and the only solution is a button press (or charge and release in this instance) at the correct moment. The only thing missing is the on-screen button prompt.

Poyunch

jaundicejuice said:
He grabs you, scrapes you along the wall and you have to fire your beam cannon into his mouth (press and hold fire, release at the appropriate moment) or eat a face full of fire. I had him do the QTE on me three times in a row, even had a glitch on the third QTE where I was holding down fire, my shot wasn't charging and all I could do was eat the face full of fire.

It was a cool fight, and one of the rare times there was actually music playing in the background, the lethal strike was badass
he's down on the ground, panting with exhaustion, Samus runs up, inserts her beam cannon into his mouth and fires
Yeah that only happens when you let him grab you. If you dodge more often this would have never happened. It's just like when normal enemies do this to you.

Boney

Banned
jaundicejuice said:

A mini-non-interactive sequence plays out and the only solution is a button press (or charge and release in this instance) at the correct moment. The only thing missing is the on-screen button prompt.
Well then overblasts and lethal strikes are QTE's as well I guess.

And that wasn't a glitch, if you're too low on health, she won't charge up and you're toast.

SpokkX

Completed the game 100%. Amazing endgame. Best in a game ever?

Anway I LOVED the game. The story is cool also even though there is definate cheese there. I like how Samus is portrayed, i never figured she was Marcus Fenix behind the visor though ;)

Amazing control also. I really came to love them.

However there are some issues such as the where is waldo-crap. Also there are some framerate drops that kind of bug me because it is a nintendo game.. and nintendo games are not supposed to have these kind of issues

Anyway, great game. Felt like Fusion overall with some cool ninja gaiden style action mixed in

Penguin

Yeah, I think the second endgame sequence was better than the original endgame sequence.

And actually helped knock the game up a few points in my book.

Great game, with some odd design choices, but most of them become irrelevant by the end.

Is there any reason why Samus can't activate her suit during the escape sequence? Would have made it a lot easier for her to get out of there.

etiolate

Banned
There's a reason why franchises exist. If you're not following certain precedents you might as well just start a new IP. The line between necessary innovation and unnecessary changes is a fuzzy one, but it's there nonetheless. I always resent the notion that seeing greater value in an older game than a newer one makes you a purist or a fanboy. Good design is king regardless of when a game was released, or how flashy it is on the surface. The insulting thing about the trajectory of the Metroid series over the past decade is that the changes they make are typically in line with what 1000 other run of the mill games already do at the expense of design choices that used to elevate Metroid and make it more unique. Of course no one wants the same retread over and over, but ever since Fusion/Prime Metroid has increasing thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Aye.

And I think it's done to try to mainstream a game that will never be that mainstream. Accept it as it is. It's not like the Prime games bomb at retail, they just aren't going to be pop culture phenoms. What Metroid does is important for the medium, at least respect that.

Crunched said:
Are you telling me the Prime series moved toward typical run of the mill? Because oh my god
Moved towards? In relative terms, I think it's pretty clear that it has. That doesn't make the games "run of the mill" in and of themselves, but as to the general thrust and direction of the franchise I think it's silly to pretend they haven't increasingly embraced predictable mainstream elements. Before you choke on your incredulity,

- Linear mission based structure, literal minded exposition
- First person shooting, "keys"
- Dark world mechanic, (even more) "keys"
- Stealth
- NPC sidekicks, hackneyed western sci-fi, increased emphasis on shooting
- Prerendered cutscenes, hackneyed eastern drama, increased emphasis on "extreme action"

Please explain how these defining features are more unique in today's software landscape than the open ended exploration based gameplay and "hands-off/show don't tell" presentation of the first three games. I'd say the best elements in all of the new Metroid games are those than fall in line with what made the series unique to begin with, and at their best build upon the strengths of that foundation.

ok, I am liking the game so far, even though it's pretty difficult to me (I've had like 6 game overs so far)

Only thing I really don't like is the forced over the shoulder view slow-walking parts. Especially when I had to walk all the way through this one area, just to get to the end and have them transport me back, just so I could walk even more, before I could fight some room full of enemies.

oh, and the "spot the random object" forced first-person sections.

Red

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Moved towards? In relative terms, I think it's pretty clear that it has. That doesn't make the games "run of the mill" in and of themselves, but as to the general thrust and direction of the franchise I think it's silly to pretend they haven't increasingly embraced predictable mainstream elements. Before you choke on your incredulity,

- Stealth
- Prerendered cutscenes, hackneyed eastern drama, increased emphasis on "extreme action"

Please explain how these defining features are more unique in today's software landscape than the open ended exploration based gameplay and "hands-off/show don't tell" presentation of the first three games. I'd say the best elements in all of the new Metroid games are those than fall in line with what made the series unique to begin with, and at their best build upon the strengths of that foundation.
The only one I see follows the pattern of "mainstreaming" is Corruption, and my thoughts on that entry have been repeatedly expressed.

The "keys" quests in Prime 1 and 2 reminded me of sequences in other Nintendo games (collecting stars in Mario, pendants in Zelda, etc), and didn't recall anything in outside franchises. You can argue that Mario and Zelda themselves are more mainstream than Metroid, and that's fair enough, but I took your statement to mean the "keys" quests were more evocative of what many people would consider "lesser" franchises.

The first person shooting point is mitigated a bit by the fact that the first two games put more emphasis on platforming and puzzle solving than actually shooting.

The two most recent entries certainly prove a lot of those points, but that's hardly a decade.

Poyunch

Penguin said:
Yeah, I think the second endgame sequence was better than the original endgame sequence.

And actually helped knock the game up a few points in my book.

Great game, with some odd design choices, but most of them become irrelevant by the end.

Is there any reason why Samus can't activate her suit during the escape sequence? Would have made it a lot easier for her to get out of there.
Because it's awesome that I get to use her para-gun! Plus it would have made the escape sequence much easier (although they could have then just made the level much harder.

Somnid

GrotesqueBeauty said:

- Stealth

Make a category big enough and you can relate whatever you want. Metroid, Halo what's the difference really when they both have cut-scenes and NPCs.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Other M is mediocre because it thoughtlessly ignores all 2010 design conventions.

Other M is mediocre because it shamelessly adopts all 2010 design conventions.

Metroid is being destroyed because it retains all its outdated conventions.

Metroid is being destroyed because it abandons all of its classic conventions.

o/~ and ne'er the twain shaaaaaaaaaall meeeeeeet o/~

*plucks banjo*

Red

Kaijima said:
Other M is mediocre because it thoughtlessly ignores all 2010 design conventions.

*plucks banjo*
It's like the opposite of when people were wronged by Twilight Princess.

etiolate

Banned
I would add the silly multiplayer in Echoes to the list. A lot of me-too stuff never survived to the sequel, like the multiplayer or ammo.

IceMarker

Y2Kev said:
you people are weird.
Sums up 90% of the thread. :lol

_tetsuo_ said:
O lord the last few pages. THE LAST FEW PAGES!
Oh yea, seems like it's been nothing but bitching about the Metroid series as a whole, loving Other M then going on to bash Prime, or just general wierdness, all in THEM LAST FEW PAGES.

I'll be over here replaying every Metroid game in the franchise and then proceeding to beat Other M in Hard Mode and enjoy every goddamn minute of it. :D

RagnarokX

Kaijima said:

*plucks banjo*
"So you want a realistic down-to-earth [Metroid] that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?"

etiolate

Banned
Kaijima said:

*plucks banjo*

I am pretty sure "ignores all 2010 design standards" is what was said, which is a different idea than conventions.

You can still include conventions and execute them horribly or mistakingly.

etiolate

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
I liked the credits :(

I actually liked the credits, too. I liked the visuals of the space formations in the cinematic before it as well, even if the philobabble monologue ruined it.

Threi

notag
i hated the galactic federation logo in this game as well. so typical and bland, a complete slap in the face to the metroid franchise

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can't seem to find the way to reach the missile expansion behind the glasses in the Bioweapon Research Center, i can clearly see morphball holes in there, but that's it. No matter where i look around the whole damn Center, i can't find the way to get there.

Red

Bisnic said:
I can't seem to find the way to reach the missile expansion behind the glasses in the Bioweapon Research Center, i can clearly see morphball holes in there, but that's it. No matter where i look around the whole damn Center, i can't find the way to get there.
This one is much easier than it seems.

Middle of the room is a small display, jump into it from the back and morph ball away.

Bisnic

Crunched said:
This one is much easier than it seems.

Middle of the room is a small display, jump into it from the back and morph ball away.

Oh you're kidding me. I did try to jump inside the display, but from the left! So i thought it wasn't going to work on each sides. :lol

AniHawk

Rez said:
to be fair, guys, I did expand on this a fair bit more in the preceding and following posts.

No, the preceding post you called it mediocre. Then you called it poor.

Anyway, I just replayed Fusion and I think Other M might be a better game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The credits were so strange. The fading in and out of her helmet. I swear I've seen similar credits before in a movie.

[Nintex]

EatChildren said:
The credits were so strange. The fading in and out of her helmet. I swear I've seen similar credits before in a movie.
It had a cool space opera vibe I think...

It was awesome but like many other parts of the game it felt like some designer had seen it somewhere and thought: "oh wow, we need that in our game as well!"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
[Nintex] said:

It was awesome but like many other parts of the game it felt like some designer had seen it somewhere and thought: "oh wow, we need that in our game as well!"

I think that was it. It felt like a cheesy 80's sci-fi film's credits.

Just beat the epilogue and got 100%

A really fun experience overall.

This thread is another prime example that arm chair debating the merits of a game rarely does anything than hurt the experience. You went in hating it, so you leave hating it.

Bisnic

Got another missile expansion question... the one east of Sector 1. In a room with tubes where there is trees with green crystals inside. I see an expansion on a platform on one side, with a door leading to nowhere. I tried using screw attack to reach it, but there is an invisible wall, and i have no idea how to get to that door, the previous room is a huge forest-like curved corridor, but i dont see any hidden door. :(

[Nintex]

Gamer @ Heart said:
Just beat the epilogue and got 100%

A really fun experience overall.

This thread is another prime example that arm chair debating the merits of a game rarely does anything than hurt the experience. You went in hating it, so you leave hating it.
I thought it was fun and cool but just inconsistent and not as polished as other high-profile Nintendo games. I like the experiments they did and the different take on the Metroid franchise but at some point the testers should've kicked some designers in the balls for the mess they made.

Bisnic said:
Got another missile expansion question... the one east of Sector 1. In a room with tubes where there is trees with green crystals inside. I see an expansion on a platform on one side, with a door leading to nowhere. I tried using screw attack to reach it, but there is an invisible wall, and i have no idea how to get to that door, the previous room is a huge forest-like curved corridor, but i dont see any hidden door. :(
Speed boost along the metal path on the left side of the forest corridor, you'll bust through the side of a ledge and into the room

Haunted

Ridley327 said:
That sounds like Shadow Complex!
I really loved Shadow Complex, but Other M outmetroids Shadow Complex in terms of (puzzle) exploration and level design any day.

Although Shadow Compley might one up it in sequence breaking, as aside from the numerous opportunities to shortcut using shinespark (and creative bomb jumping as shown in that Swamp video) I haven't seen any yet.

EatChildren

As disappointingly weak as this game's soundtrack was, its ironically probably the closest the series has come to the Alien franchise.

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:
I thought it was fun and cool but just inconsistent and not as polished as other high-profile Nintendo games. I like the experiments they did and the different take on the Metroid franchise but at some point the testers should've kicked some designers in the balls for the mess they made.

Testers don't question design decisions, especially in Japan.

EatChildren said:
As disappointingly weak as this game's soundtrack was, its ironically probably the closest the series has come to the Alien franchise.

I swear there were pieces that had parts lifted straight from the first movie.

RagnarokX

[Nintex] said:

lol, the whole franchise is built on movie ideas, primarily from the Alien series. Fusion is probably the most blatant. It was like a mixture of The Thing and Alien Resurrection.

Ridley327

Haunted said:
I really loved Shadow Complex, but Other M outmetroids Shadow Complex in terms of (puzzle) exploration and level design any day.

Although Shadow Compley might one up it in sequence breaking, as aside from the numerous opportunities to shortcut using shinespark (and creative bomb jumping as shown in that Swamp video) I haven't seen any yet.
I don't think a timed shortcut should count as sequence breaking.

I would definitely throw my hat in with Other M over Shadow Complex as well; it was nice to see someone else throw their hat into the Metroidvania ring, but it felt very clunky and shockingly unfinished.

EatChildren said:

Even if all the other games are tributes to the Alien saga, other m was trying to go for the gold.

Sakamoto has to be like the biggest fan of alien ever. :lol

EatChildren

AniHawk said:
I swear there were pieces that had parts lifted straight from the first movie.

Just listen to the start of the
Nightmare
boss theme.

Ridley327

That song really makes me wish that
they did a high-quality remix of his theme in Fusion.

I was not a fan of the music in this game at all; even the remixes that we did get felt very bland.

Wizpig

EatChildren said:
Soundtrack? where? music? in this game?

"Worst Metroid game ever" is the idea i unfortunately have right now, i still have to finish the game and i'm stuck at
a shitty mini-boss (3 enemies) that you have to do in first person view and... i don't know... after a while i just die.

It's still a good game, but it doesn't mean a lot when you are talking NINTENDO and METROID.

Sakamoto... leave Samus alone.

Haunted

Ridley327 said:
I don't think a timed shortcut should count as sequence breaking.

I would definitely throw my hat in with Other M over Shadow Complex as well; it was nice to see someone else throw their hat into the Metroidvania ring, but it felt very clunky and shockingly unfinished.
Let's not forget that SC was an XBLA release and only 1200 points, so in that context, it's a damn fine achievement.

But yeah, Other M has it beat soundly.

Top Bottom