• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Ridley327

AniHawk said:
Her mission in Super Metroid wasn't revenge. I doubt she felt any real attachment to the scientists or the baby Metroid, but the space pirates needed to be taken out, and the last Metroid being taken by her arch nemesis was not something she could just walk away from.

Don't Prime and Echoes start with her responding to a distress call? Samus was more of the boy scout type than the Terminator type.
Indeed they do. For a bounty hunter, she's quite the samaritan.

wsippel

Banned
etiolate said:
I understood her motivation in Super Metroid as revenge. Prime added a bit of 'destiny' I suppose.
Super Metroid was only the third game in the series. You can't pull the "revenge" or "destiny" card five games in a row. Also, now that Metroid is officially about a character, not just a set of locations, enemy types or gameplay conventions, Nintendo has a lot more freedom with future titles.

upandaway

wsippel said:
Also, now that Metroid is officially about a character, not just a set of locations, enemy types or gameplay conventions, Nintendo has a lot more freedom with future titles.
..I don't... what?

farnham

Banned
wsippel said:
Super Metroid was only the third game in the series. You can't pull the "revenge" or "destiny" card five games in a row. Also, now that Metroid is officially about a character, not just a set of locations, enemy types or gameplay conventions, Nintendo has a lot more freedom with future titles.
imagine metroid within the heart of the galactic federation (the city we saw). samus and anthony against the corrupted fraction of the galactic federation would be awesome!

AniHawk said:
I tried going back into other sectors but the game wouldn't let me.

I also beat Fusion some days ago (again) and yes, you can visit all the sectors before the SA-X fight.

you can go between sectors through secret pasageways that are brakable mainly with the speed booster and the screwattack

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
AniHawk said:
Don't Prime and Echoes start with her responding to a distress call? Samus was more of the boy scout type than the Terminator type. It's never implied in any of the games that even though she's a bounty hunter, she does it for the money either.
Yeah, I always got the impression that her alliance was to the Galactic Federation, but she didn't like being tied down under a command chain, so they just go "hey Samus, we need you to go here and deal with some stuff" and she hits her warp engines and goes "Cool, Samus is on the case, peace!"

Also, the term "realistic" is being used differently in here. Yes, Metroid is very video-gamey. But it also has a cohesive chronology and some actual characterization, which is more then many Nintendo franchises.

AniHawk

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I also beat Fusion some days ago (again) and yes, you can visit all the sectors before the SA-X fight.

you can go between sectors through secret pasageways that are brakable mainly with the speed booster and the screwattack

That's STUPID

farnham

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I always got the impression that her alliance was to the Galactic Federation, but she didn't like being tied down under a command chain, so they just go "hey Samus, we need you to go here and deal with some stuff"

Also, the term "realistic" is being used differently in here. Yes, Metroid is very video-gamey. But it also has a cohesive chronology and some actual characterization, which is more then many Nintendo franchises.
well zelda has all the timeline stuff

etiolate

Banned
AniHawk said:
Her mission in Super Metroid wasn't revenge. I doubt she felt any real attachment to the scientists or the baby Metroid, but the space pirates needed to be taken out, and the last Metroid being taken by her arch nemesis was not something she could just walk away from.

Don't Prime and Echoes start with her responding to a distress call? Samus was more of the boy scout type than the Terminator type. It's never implied in any of the games that even though she's a bounty hunter, she does it for the money either.

Mission and motive are different things though. The revenge comes from what the space pirates had to do with her past. The mission is just whatever the goals are for the job she takes up.

And yes, Samus is always answering some distress call. I don't know why you bring up the money and terminator stuff. I don't think money has ever been involved?

Her jobs always seem to consist of simple goals complicated by incredible odds and a certain vastness to the size of the job: entire planets, entire space stations, multiple planets. Her being able to do these jobs always felt like a commentary on the ineptitude of the entire GF failing to get it done.

wsippel

Banned
farnham said:
imagine metroid within the heart of the galactic federation (the city we saw). samus and anthony against the corrupted fraction of the galactic federation would be awesome!
Something like that is exactly what I was talking about.

Ridley327

Mario would not benefit from having his character fleshed out; there is no writer on the face of the planet that could make any sense of a guy who dresses up as a raccoon (via a leaf, of all things), shoots fireballs out of his hands and jumps incredibly high for an overweight plumber.

If you tried to make sense out of something like that, you end up with Ratchet & Clank.

farnham

Banned
wsippel said:
Something like that is exactly what I was talking about.
well they kind of hinted at a possible thing like that. they introduced that one new character at the near end of the game that could possibly be the next main nemesis of samus
you know the old ass GF Commander

Ridley327 said:
Mario would not benefit from having his character fleshed out; there is no writer on the face of the planet that could make any sense of a guy who dresses up as a raccoon (via a leaf, of all things), shoots fireballs out of his hands and jumps incredibly high for an overweight plumber.

If you tried to make sense out of something like that, you end up with Ratchet & Clank.
super-mario-bros-movie.jpg

this made a lot of sense to me
(no it didnt)

etiolate said:
lets not turn Metroid into Persona
how about making it into metroid ultimate alliance

AniHawk

etiolate said:
Mission and motive are different things though. The revenge comes from what the space pirates had to do with her past. The mission is just whatever the goals are for the job she takes up.

So you accept the manga as truth then.

And yes, Samus is always answering some distress call. I don't know why you bring up the money and terminator stuff. I don't think money has ever been involved?

Well considering she's a bounty hunter, you'd think money would be involved. She seems to do stuff out of the goodness of her heart, which makes her more of a traditional hero than a killer for hire.

Her jobs always seem to consist of simple goals complicated by incredible odds and a certain vastness to the size of the job: entire planets, entire space stations, multiple planets. Her being able to do these jobs always felt like a commentary on the ineptitude of the entire GF failing to get it done.

The GF never seem to understand what they're getting into. Like in Echoes when all of them get died. Even Samus doesn't quite know what to expect at the beginning of Prime, and gets the Varia knocked out of her.

wsippel

Banned
farnham said:
well they kind of hinted at a possible thing like that. they introduced that one new character at the near end of the game that could possibly be the next main nemesis of samus
As he said, he could arrest Samus for smuggling biological weapons at any time.
Then you could have a game about her breaking out or something, which would finally give a valid explanation for Samus losing all her equipment at the beginning.

jman2050

etiolate said:
Samus was more dynamic and interesting as a silent bounty hunter with motive for revenge. Other M turns her into a stereotype/trope.

"Samus was more interesting when she had no character and she was the waifu I wanted her to be :("

tomjenkins

Neo Member
farnham said:

wasn't that
Admiral Dane from Corruption?

jman2050 said:
"Samus was more interesting when she had no character and she was the waifu I wanted her to be :("
Icecold!
:lol

tomjenkins said:
wasn't that
Admiral Dane from Corruption?

You know I though the same, I clearly knew he wasnt but it made me laugh thinking about
dane. Even when he appears I said, like if Samus was going to say "Admiral Dane?!" :lol

Kard8p3

etiolate said:

Strange because yesterday you said we shouldn't take what the manga says over the games yet now you use it for your argument.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the fight with the big thing that looks like Crocomire.

Doorman

etiolate said:
Samus was more dynamic and interesting as a silent bounty hunter with motive for revenge. Other M turns her into a stereotype/trope.
Wait, so you're telling me that the "strong, silent badass with a personal grudge" isn't an equally overplayed and uninteresting trope in gaming? All they've done is replaced one stereotype with a different one.

The_Technomancer said:
This is related to something else that's been on my mind a lot when it comes to Other M and its direction. I don't believe that Sakamoto or Nintendo started off this project by thinking "hmm, it's about time we made an attempt at the cinema-presentation sort of game that's gaining popularity on the other consoles, how can we do that?" But I do say that, looking at their roster of mainline, widely-recognized franchises, Metroid is the only one that adequately fits the bill. Mario and serious drama quite simply don't mix, neither does Pokemon or Kirby given most of their intended audience and the general tone of those series. Zelda delves into some more direct story, but those games also contain much more interaction with other people in general, not to mention that there wouldn't be much way to focus on Link as a singular character because each game almost always stars a different person, and continuity between games is not as large a concern as it is in Metroid.

I know that it damages the "isolation" aspect that some people look for in a Metroid, but short of starting a totally new franchise (which I would personally welcome but Nintendo would likely view as a much larger risk in the current market), Metroid is the most sensical franchise to take that jump tonally. Does it make for a better game or a better character? That's still being debated, but hey, they've got to start somewhere.

etiolate

Banned
AniHawk said:
So you accept the manga as truth then.

Actually a NP comic set this up at the time of Super Metroid. If you are implying having to accept all outside sources as valid then those sources all still must be weighed. I don't consider the fact that she has purple hair in that comic to make it so she's naturally purple haired.

Well considering she's a bounty hunter, you'd think money would be involved. She seems to do stuff out of the goodness of her heart, which makes her more of a traditional hero than a killer for hire.

Ah, gotcha.

The GF never seem to understand what they're getting into. Like in Echoes when all of them get died. Even Samus doesn't quite know what to expect at the beginning of Prime, and gets the Varia knocked out of her.

In the first Metroid, don't they just send her out to do the job? Like "fuck this shit, get the pro".

loosus

Banned
Wow, so I finally saw some of this game, and man...it screams "I'M JAPANEEEEEEEEESE" so hard that it's really hard to stomach. It's like watching any shitty anime flick with Samus involved. Jesus Christ. Why couldn't they just make a Metroid game?

Post-game question:

Will all previously unattained items appear on the map or will it be like the main campaign with a mixture of displayed and hidden items?

Doorman

etiolate said:
In the first Metroid, don't they just send her out to do the job? Like "fuck this shit, get the pro".
I thought I recall reading ages ago, maybe in the original instruction book or something, that they turn to Samus only after they've sent a platoon or two of federation troops to the planet that lost contact and never responded. Sending Samus alone was their last-ditch effort.

Either way...unless Other M shakes up the formula in a way I'm unaware of, the federation and its military sure are...unimpressive, at best. :lol

zigg

SpacePirate Ridley said:

That would have been useful for me to know about a few days ago.

I ended up doing this with SA-X instead to compensate for my utter lack of energy tanks.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
wsippel said:
Metroid was always more story driven and grounded in reality than the other core Nintendo franchises. The Zelda and Mario games have no continuity or overarching storyline. They are simply a set of basic rules. There's no need to explain why Bowser returns in every game. Nobody cares that Link starts every game at square 0 with three hearts and a wooden sword. That doesn't work for Metroid.

Simply remaking Metroid 1 over and over would get stale after a while. Giving the lead character a voice and a personality helps explaining her motivation, which in turn helps creating new, hopefully interesting games.
Despite the fact that Link starts over again from square one has no relevance. Samus does the same thing and in both series they try to find new ways to explain it. There's nothing wrong with that and although I didn't like the way it was implemented in this game, I understand and respect why they did it the way they did it. Now as far as character goes, you can always tell when Link or Samus portrayed a certain emotion (shock, fear, sadness, anger, happiness, etc.) in the past. What makes Samus so mysterious is the same thing that makes Link mysterious and there are ways to explain her backstory without it coming off so repulsive. Every other game has explained some part about her. Sakamoto stated that his goal was to take away the mystery of the character. What a dumb idea. Mystery is what keeps people coming back. He pretty much killed that which was his intention. He also stated he has no idea where to go now. It is a cluster fuck of beyond reasoning and if they keep it up, they will destroy the franchise.

tim1138

jaundicejuice said:
Post-game question:

Will all previously unattained items appear on the map or will it be like the main campaign with a mixture of displayed and hidden items?

They all showed up for me

Just 100%ed the game WOOT! Fun ride. Really don't understand or get the hate people have been giving the game. It's alot of fun. It has some flaws and isn't perfect but damn good fun.

AniHawk

Actually a NP comic set this up at the time of Super Metroid. If you are implying having to accept all outside sources as valid then those sources all still must be weighed. I don't consider the fact that she has purple hair in that comic to make it so she's naturally purple haired.

Maybe she was going through a Ramona Flowers phase.

Poyunch

MadOdorMachine said:
Despite the fact that Link starts over again from square one has no relevance. Samus does the same thing and in both series they try to find new ways to explain it. There's nothing wrong with that and although I didn't like the way it was implemented in this game, I understand and respect why they did it the way they did it. Now as far as character goes, you can always tell when Link or Samus portrayed a certain emotion (shock, fear, sadness, anger, happiness, etc.) in the past. What makes Samus so mysterious is the same thing that makes Link mysterious and there are ways to explain her backstory without it coming off so repulsive. Every other game has explained some part about her. Sakamoto stated that his goal was to take away the mystery of the character. What a dumb idea. Mystery is what keeps people coming back. He pretty much killed that which was his intention. He also stated he has no idea where to go now. It is a cluster fuck of beyond reasoning and if they keep it up, they will destroy the franchise.
That seems to conflict with recent statements where he says the next game for the series will take place after Fusion.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
etiolate said:
I understood her motivation in Super Metroid as revenge. Prime added a bit of 'destiny' I suppose. Other M doesn't really explain her overall motivation, but concentrates on her motivation with Adam.

I still say Adam is a case of dramatic irony.
Revenge for what? Her point was to go get the Metroid back. The whole point to Other M for me was explaining the relationship with Adam. That had to be done because of Fusion. I hope Samus goes back into isolation for her next mission though. I really don't care who she's known in the past if they're going to make it this terrible. Not only did they damn near ruin Samus, but they made Adam look like a complete idiot. I don't know WTF Samus saw in him. This is a case where less is more. Yeah it's good to know Samus had a dude in her past, but the mystery behind it was a lot more intriguing than the reality of it.

tomjenkins

Neo Member
the only problem I have with Samus's character is that she's a bounty hunter only in name. Every game, she's either working for the Federation, responding to some distress call, or dealing with her personal grudge against the space pirates. I want to see a game where she's hunting down some super-powered space bandito who's trying to smuggle metroids for the space mafia or something like that (except it'll be good, unlike Hunters).

Shin Johnpv said:
Just 100%ed the game WOOT! Fun ride. Really don't understand or get the hate people have been giving the game. It's alot of fun. It has some flaws and isn't perfect but damn good fun.

That's fair because I really don't understand the few praising this game. The nice thing is that we all have opinions and can accept them <3

Except for the guy who said Samus didn't have character before. Whether or not it was typical boring snark or an actual sentiment, that is just depressing.

I actually really hope this game sells better than any previous Metroid title, creating a brand new fanbase, and this fanbase is nuked from orbit.

Then in fifteen years, the new fanbase can get a 10000 page thread about how awful it is that Samus' hair is medium length when that is not the canon measurement.

Doorman said:
Either way...unless Other M shakes up the formula in a way I'm unaware of, the federation and its military sure are...unimpressive, at best. :lol

Anthony did do this kinda cool backflip once.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it when I shot a beam and the enemy exploded and then ran away.

zigg said:
That would have been useful for me to know about a few days ago.

I ended up doing this with SA-X instead to compensate for my utter lack of energy tanks.

Hahaha, I have always beat the SA-X the normal way (going around the satge while shooting) but a thing Ive always done is never beat the evolution in the way is meant. The first time I played and after SA_X had killed me plenty of times, I finally beat her, with very few tanks left, to my disppeair I see her turning into a big ass monster. I totally shit my pants and space jumped up till the last door of the room above. There i found the monster could not jump. So I dicided to charge my shot when the monster jumped to me. It worked.
When I beat fusion I have always done it that way, i dont even see the sprite of the monster :lol

McNum

Incitemaybe said:
I have 100% but what's the point........can I start a new game so I can use all the items I picked up?
100% unlocks Hard Mode. So now that you've shown that you can get ALL the items, you're allowed to try and beat the game with NO items. And the enemies hit harder. Have fun!

McNum said:
100% unlocks Hard Mode. So now that you've shown that you can get ALL the items, you're allowed to try and beat the game with NO items. And the enemies hit harder. Have fun!

Damn, so it's only Hard mode with no items ;-(
I have played about an hour through Hard mode but I want to feel powerful.
I remember losing full energy tanks from one or two hits off most enemies in the normal game. I can't imagine going through without energy tanks.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Samus is now far more interesting of a character to me because of Other M, so shame on ya'll for trying to ruin it for the rest of us. I'm having a great time with this game, and so far (haven't beaten it), Samus hasn't acted any different than what I would have expected of her - now we have the added benefit of getting some thoughts and emotions behind the gun. I say, welcome chang, and now I want more of it. Hopefully sales speak louder than GAF.

edit:

And to the people saying the character of Samus, you could always tell what her thoughts/emtions were based on her reactions of shock/fear/awe/whatever - uh, what games were you playing? The first game, she doesn't even take her helmet off. The Prime games are first person and aside from some fancy reflective lighting, you barely can see her eyes in that whole game. Perhaps some of the other earlier sprite based games that you wear a helmet? Or are we basing this entirely on ZZS from Smash Bros, perhaps her most animated facial role? C'mon, gimmie a break. She isn't Link. Anything you want to say about her motivations or feelings, you came up with on your own. Other M doens't make her who you created her to be? Oh well

Poyunch

John Harker said:
Samus is now far more interesting of a character to me because of Other M, so shame on ya'll for trying to ruin it for the rest of us. I'm having a great time with this game, and so far (haven't beaten it), Samus hasn't acted any different than what I would have expected of her - now we have the added benefit of getting some thoughts and emotions behind the gun. I say, welcome chang, and now I want more of it. Hopefully sales speak louder than GAF.
Please that wouldn't change anything.

Top Bottom