• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

MechaX said:
Ridley's
appearance actually makes logical sense and the game actually gives a pretty valid reason behind that particular thread.

I have yet to hear of a logical explanation to why Adam decided to authorize the heat-resistant suit only until journeying through lava and halfway into a volcano outside of answers that he was taking a bathroom break at the time. You really don't need to be Holmes in order to detect a problem with this sequence of events.
Why would Adam restrict anything but Power Bombs to begin with? Power Bombs are harmful to humans, but how the hell are items such as the Varia Suit and the Grapple Beam any problem whatsoever? It's definitely way more stupid than beginning the game without any items at all and finding them scattered around the ship.

Poyunch

MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah despite my criticism of it, it's my GOTY. I'd still rate it a 7.5 out of 10 because of its flaws but it brings a lot of fresh ideas too. It's the first traditional Metroid game in a long time and I love the new focus on action! I'm glad they brought Samus back to her roots, but I also hope they fix the acting and dialog. As far as story goes, I liked the plot twists despite the holes that were in it. There are some parts that just didn't fit imo though.
The way Adam went out with the Sector Zero bit didn't jive with me. He went out to kill the Metroids, yet the Queen was left behind to hatch more babies. So he basically died for nothing and it degraded both his and Samus' character imo.
Except he was trying to kill the Freeze Resistant Metroids. The Queen Metroid was left unaltered for some reason and so it's most likely those Metroids that she gave birth to weren't freeze resistant either.

Dragmire

MechaX said:
Ridley's
appearance actually makes logical sense and the game actually gives a pretty valid reason behind that particular thread.
I know, I was just trying to think of things that would sound funny in my imaginary scenario.

rhino4evr

It's your GOTY but you would only rate it a 7.5? That's kind of sad...do you own any other systems besides the Wii? If not, did you somehow miss Galaxy part 2?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
Except he was trying to kill the Freeze Resistant Metroids. The Queen Metroid was left unaltered for some reason and so it's most likely those Metroids that she gave birth to weren't freeze resistant either.
The whole thing to me was anti-climatic. It would have been cool to go thru Sector Zero fully powered, but we couldn't. I felt like the Metroid Queen was a bit shallow after you figured out to use power bombs. You really didn't fight her, just the Metroids around her. The same thing happened with MB. It just seems like they would have finished the game on a higher note had they made these sections playable. I loved the return to the Bottle Ship afterward though. That was hands down, the best part of the game for me.

A.CHAP said:
I still dont get this.
Its the most plausible explanation for starting out with no upgrades.
It has no effect on the gameplay.

Of course it affects the gameplay. Go back and play any previous Metroid game and map out the amount of area (and time involved) dedicated to acquiring ability items. Some of them are rewards you get after boss fights, and you could argue that the difference there is just perception, but some aren't. They're just somewhere in the world waiting to be found, and finding them was one of the high points of each game.

robor

The way they did it in this game was very un-Metroid. I can dig the authorizations, but not when it conflicts with the fundamental traditions inherent in all past Metroid games
ala Varia suit

Poyunch

MadOdorMachine said:
The whole thing to me was anti-climatic. It would have been cool to go thru Sector Zero fully powered, but we couldn't. I felt like the Metroid Queen was a bit shallow after you figured out to use power bombs. You really didn't fight her, just the Metroids around her. The same thing happened with MB. It just seems like they would have finished the game on a higher note had they made these sections playable. I loved the return to the Bottle Ship afterward though. That was hands down, the best part of the game for me.
Well I agree with you there but your previous complaint wasn't a good one.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
rhino4evr said:
It's your GOTY but you would only rate it a 7.5? That's kind of sad...do you own any other systems besides the Wii? If not, did you somehow miss Galaxy part 2?
There are too many things wrong with it to justify giving it a higher score imo. The horrible voice acting and plot holes, a control scheme I'm still constantly at odds with, clunky gameplay variations and puzzles that I wouldn't have made it thru had it not been for help from Donkey Show keep me from thinking it deserves a higher score. If it weren't for the fact that I'm a fan of the series, I wouldn't have suffered thru the story, the clunky controls and the frustrating gameplay segments. The first "Where's Waldo" moment I got to, I reset my Wii thinking I had reached a game crashing bug. Some people spent 30+ minutes trying to figure out what to do. Despite all of those flaws, I really love the automated action and integrated camera. Everything flows extremely well. I don't think I had my first load time in the game for over 2 hours and when I did see one, it was miniscule. I think the ease of the action will be copied by other games in the genre as well. At the end of the day, I really like playing with Samus and running around in third person. It just sucks that I had to mod a Wii remote to find the controls somewhat bearable. The story it self wasn't bad, but the execution was.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
Well I agree with you there but your previous complaint wasn't a good one.
How is it not a good one?
This is the guy Samus spent the whole game of Fusion ranting and raving about. He goes on a suicide mission trying to save Samus, but it was completely in vain. He didn't stop the Metroids. It made me question every decision he had ever made in the past. That's not even taking into consideration him limiting Samus on what abilities she could and could not use. It just made me wonder what Samus ever saw in him and why she would follow him.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MadOdorMachine said:
This is the guy Samus spent the whole game of Fusion ranting and raving about. He goes on a suicide mission trying to save Samus, but it was completely in vain. He didn't stop the Metroids. It made me question every decision he had ever made in the past. That's not even taking into consideration him limiting Samus on what abilities she could and could not use. It just made me wonder what Samus ever saw in him and why she would follow him.
He killed all the enhanced Metroids. The others were regular.

AniHawk

MadOdorMachine said:

He may or may not have stopped the unfreezable/"unstoppable" Metroids. The Metroids in Fusion were very much killable.

robor

rhino4evr said:
LOL..so you have to walk through the lava stage without the varia suit, because it's not authorized? That is retarded.

It's the most un-Metroid feature I've ever seen in a Metroid game. Let alone any game. Oh and don't get me started on the grapple beam. So retarded and illogical.

Boney

Banned
MechaX said:
Ridley's

I have yet to hear of a logical explanation to why Adam decided to authorize the heat-resistant suit only until journeying through lava and halfway into a volcano outside of answers that he was taking a bathroom break at the time. You really don't need to be Holmes in order to detect a problem with this sequence of events.
Not to tout my horn, but I think I gave the most logical explanation in this scenario. Just like the Gravity suit, she won't access her abilities until she absolutely needs to. It seems this military operations are very uptight, and won't grant permissions until there's a risk or a necesity involved, perhaps Adam doesn't want Samus to be snooping around or what not. It's the same case with the other soldiers and the freeze guns.

The more I think about it, it's not completely irrational, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

And this too is my GOTY and at most I'd give it 1 less imaginary point than Galaxy 2, because it brings so many good and interesting things to the table just like MadOdorMachine said. Our only difference is that I feel 1st person works incredibly well and that I didn't have an issue with the d-pad.

rhino4evr said:
LOL..so you have to walk through the lava stage without the varia suit, because it's not authorized? That is retarded.
Let me try again. The heat from the lava isn't gonna kill her. It's not gonna do anything to her, so there's not an actual reason to authorize it, since apparently stuff can't be deauthorized. So Adam doesn't sees it fit to authorize the power because there's not any actual need and it could lead to some unexpected results maybe with giving Samus to much freedom. It's not until she actually needs it that it's granted.

I'm surprised no one's pointed out the lack of Metroids. Sure there's a few, but not as many as you had to face in Prime or Super (certainly not Metroid 2, but that makes sense).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
rhino4evr said:

Yes, it is the most legitimately retarded moment in the entire plot. The authorization scenes everywhere else in the game make sense in the context of Other M's premise. The varia suit was an afterthought so they could retain the typical Metroid flow of getting to the lava zone without protection and being in danger until you're halfway through and gain a power-up.

I liked Samus's voice a lot in this game. The narration and screams weren't so great, but in scenes where she actually talked to other people, she sounded like I expected Samus to. I'm mainly thinking of the scene where she meets
Melissa / Madeline in the control room when you're looking for Adam.
It reminded me of Sakamoto's (?) line about how they tried to pick an actress who wasn't refined so they could make Samus sound like a very direct person.

I definitely liked it a lot more than the Brawl voice. I'm not saying that the acting was all that good, but the voice was.

Ridley327 said:
more randomness like
Phantoon's unexplained and non-essential appearance.
What do you mean? The whole game they talk about how they were reproducing the creatures from Zebes. So it's there the same reason Ridley is, they recreated it! Non-essential? It was one of the best parts of the game! Sure it wasn't a story driven aspect, but who seriously didn't like it?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
PhoenixSFT said:
I'm surprised no one's pointed out the lack of Metroids. Sure there's a few, but not as many as you had to face in Prime or Super (certainly not Metroid 2, but that makes sense).

Personally, I think the lack of Metroids works in the context of this one game due to the build-up to when you do see one.
The bioweapon lab corridors with Tourian ring projectors is a kick in dread-center of the brain, and the ominous tilted-camera approach to seeing the baby metroid clone is great.

robor

Kaijima said:
Yes, it is the most legitimately retarded moment in the entire plot. The authorization scenes everywhere else in the game make sense in the context of Other M's premise. The varia suit was an afterthought so they could retain the typical Metroid flow of getting to the lava zone without protection and being in danger until you're halfway through and gain a power-up.

I thought the grapple beam was way more fucked. I died 3 times because of that nonsense.

ASIS

Bizzyb said:
Replay on Hard made. I think doing that gives a new kind of look at the game. Yeah it's short (compared to the Prime Games) but it's a good length for a 2D Metroid (which it essentially is)
I beat the 100% run in 12 hours. So length is not my issue. The game just feels it was cut in the middle. The ending was so anticlimactic I was wondering if that was "really" it.
it. I wish we got to see Sector zero, I wish we confronted the deleter, I wish we fought MB, I wish we fought ridly a second time and put him to rest with our own hands, etc. I really didn't expect the game to end the way it did.

Red

Kard8p3 said:
The final boss in Fusion is an omega metroid. Plus the secret lab with the little metroids.
Could be wrong, but I remember there being tubes holding every Metroid form inside that lab.

Ridley327

King Chozo said:
What do you mean? The whole game they talk about how they were reproducing the creatures from Zebes. So it's there the same reason Ridley is, they recreated it! Non-essential? It was one of the best parts of the game! Sure it wasn't a story driven aspect, but who seriously didn't like it?
I really liked it, but there was no reason for it to be there other than
to make fans of the series crap their pants; it has no effect otherwise.

Also, I have hard time believing that it was recreated considering it was floating around in space.

Ridley327 said:
Other M's story is weird? It's about as generic as you can get for the genre. If anything, it could have done with substantially more randomness like
Phantoon's unexplained and non-essential appearance.

Phantoon is a ghost
It doesn't get more nonsensical then that.

rhino4evr

Kard8p3 said:
The final boss in Fusion is an omega metroid. Plus the secret lab with the little metroids.
I suppose, but it's not quite the same as say having the good ol freeze beam/5 missle type of Metroids.

The Prime series had multiple species of Metroids attack you.

Red

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah you're right.
Samus probably got so wet in that lab, it was like a babypalooza.
rhino4evr said:
I suppose, but it's not quite the same as say having the good ol freeze beam/5 missle type of Metroids.

The phasing Metroids from Corruption are something I would love to see brought back for a new game.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AniHawk said:
He may or may not have stopped the unfreezable/"unstoppable" Metroids. The Metroids in Fusion were very much killable.
I thought you fought them against the Metroid Queen. They were just babies, but you would freeze them and they would thaw out.
On a side note, I need to play Fusion again.

rhino4evr said:

The one thing I never did like about the Prime series is that the Metroids were such pushovers. They're not very scary if you can kill them with just about anything.

heringer

robor said:
I thought the grapple beam was way more fucked. I died 3 times because of that nonsense.
It's the easiest to explain though. It gives Samus freedom to explore new areas and Adam doesn't want Samus poking Federation's business unless absolutely necessary.

AniHawk

MadOdorMachine said:
I thought you fought them against the Metroid Queen. They were just babies, but you would freeze them and they would thaw out.
On a side note, I need to play Fusion again.

the fact that they freeze means they're freezable. also, the game says that the metroid queen was a normal metroid after you kill it.

OMG Aero

I just completed this game and I'm surprised at the reactions to it all over the internet because I thought it was pretty good. The beginning of the game was pretty bad with the writing and Samus' voice, but I thought that after the first or second hour they were okay and I didn't have any issues with Samus' voice throughout the rest of the game.
I thought the story overall was pretty good and it had a fair few twists I didn't see coming at all (
Ridley being that little fluffy creature being one of them
). I liked the fact that Nintendo actually put a story and cutscenes into one of their games because hardly any of their games actually have stories.

I think what will stick in my mind most is the area before you get the Gravity Suit. When
gravity starts going all over the place I thought to myself "It'd be funny if Nightmare shows up" but I didn't think he would actually be in it and it was an OH SHIT moment for me when he appeared. He was easily the most memorable boss from Fusion and it was awesome fighting him in 3D. Seeing Phantoon was pretty cool too, but I did see his name mentioned in an Other M thread so I already knew he was going to show up at some point.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AniHawk said:
the fact that they freeze means they're freezable. also, the game says that the metroid queen was a normal metroid after you kill it.
I'll have to watch the ending cinematics again, but I could have sworn they said they were only freezable as babies and once they grew up they wouldn't be. Maybe I'm off on that though.

AniHawk

MadOdorMachine said:
I'll have to watch the ending cinematics again, but I could have sworn they said they were only freezable as babies and once they grew up they wouldn't be. Maybe I'm off on that though.

That's what Adam theorized about the one he killed versus the ones on Sector Zero. I think it was Madeline who said the Metroid Queen was a raised as a control subject to compare the unfreezable Metroids to or whatever.

Nintendo-4Life said:
I beat the 100% run in 12 hours. So length is not my issue. The game just feels it was cut in the middle. The ending was so anticlimactic I was wondering if that was "really" it.
it. I wish we got to see Sector zero, I wish we confronted the deleter, I wish we fought MB, I wish we fought ridly a second time and put him to rest with our own hands, etc. I really didn't expect the game to end the way it did.
I agree 100% except
the ridley part. They had to explain where the frozen ridley in Fusion came from so they had to keep his body intact.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AniHawk said:
That's what Adam theorized about the one he killed versus the ones on Sector Zero. I think it was Madeline who said the Metroid Queen was a raised as a control subject to compare the unfreezable Metroids to or whatever.
I just watched the video again. The Metroids are freezable in the larva stage and the Queen was making the unfreezable Metroids. I linked them below. This made Adam's "sacrifice" in vane to me.

WARNING - SPOILERS IN THE VIDEOS LINKED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixvXBCK6u4 - Watch from 3:06 to 4:05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuTEHhnPjlA - Watch from 4:53 to 5:40.

Kard8p3

MadOdorMachine said:
I just watched the video again. The Metroids are freezable in the larva stage and the Queen was making the unfreezable Metroids. I linked them below. This made Adam's "sacrifice" in vane to me.

WARNING - SPOILERS IN THE VIDEOS LINKED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixvXBCK6u4 - Watch from 3:06 to 4:05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuTEHhnPjlA - Watch from 4:53 to 5:40.

Where did it say the queen was producing unfreezable metroids? The last video said the genes of the queen metroid were unaltered so there's no way it could produce unfreezable metroids.

Red

What's with the metroid queen spitting out larval metroids? Don't they hatch from eggs? Also, Nightmare is the gravity field generating boss with the weird baby face?

Red

Valkyr Junkie said:
What's with the metroid queen spitting out larval metroids? Don't they hatch from eggs? Also, Nightmare is the gravity field generating boss with the weird baby face?
1.) ?
2.) Y
3.) Y

Top Bottom