• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

AniHawk

I wonder if Aonuma making the split timeline canon was his way of getting revenge on Miyamoto for upending the teatable on his OoT-sequel/TWW-prequel.

radcliff said:
But its not the same Ridley, its a different one. One that we actually see the evolution of through the course of this game (cute little fluffy > El Poco Loco > Ridley.) Maybe that is why she was so frightened. She wasn't expecting Ridley since its dead. Then along come this new one, one that she could have disposed of before it ever becomes a threat back in Sector 1 at the beginning of the game, but she lets it go.

even if he is a "new" ridley, the genetic memory makes him the same Ridley that killed his parents. From Zero to Super there would have been also a new Ridley, we dont know it, but maybe it was like that how the pirates clone him, having to pass through all the three stages of evolution.
In this sci-fi world we now memory from dead people and creatures can be passed from body to body.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
I don't think it had to be sacrificed. I feel they just had to turn the game upside down and analyze, how it's gonna work. And ultimately they came up with a solution, that in my opinion, is the best use of missiles the franchise has had.

But reading that post, we're pretty much on the same page, just that I praise it more for what it did correctly, and didn't find the character bad, just badly translated.
I'm not trying to argue with you, but how are the missiles in this game any different that in the Prime games? I'm not against using them in first person but I am against that being the only way to use them. In some situations, I think it would be okay to force people into it as a gameplay break as long as it was done right, but I think they should let you use them in third person as well. That way people could switch if they wanted to.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
can we now have an official sequel that continues the story after fusion please?

2D and jointly developed by IS and one of Nintendo's internal dev teams, thanks.

Kard8p3

Scrow said:
can we now have an official sequel that continues the story after fusion please?

2D and jointly developed by IS and one of Nintendo's internal dev teams, thanks.

Sakamoto said in an interview that he wants the next one to take place after fusion. I'd prefer it to be a 2.5D game honestly.

Scrow said:

R&D1 x Vanillaware. Someone just has to stick Muramasa under Sakamoto's nose when he's contemplating Metroid 5.

I got to the credits today with 48% completion. I really enjoyed a lot of the last few sequences that I played, and the game has been fun overall. I'll hold off final judgment until I get 100% of the items, but I'm definitely glad I didn't skip out on this game due to some of the naysayers.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Sakamoto and SPD Group No. 1 is all that is needed. Especially if we see Metroid 3DS.

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I'm not trying to argue with you, but how are the missiles in this game any different that in the Prime games? I'm not against using them in first person but I am against that being the only way to use them. In some situations, I think it would be okay to force people into it as a gameplay break as long as it was done right, but I think they should let you use them in third person as well. That way people could switch if they wanted to.
I just feel that the missiles in the Prime series weren't that well utilized, because they're slow (just like here) but not powerful enough. Super Missiles were cool stuff though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Boney said:
I just feel that the missiles in the Prime series weren't that well utilized, because they're slow (just like here) but not powerful enough. Super Missiles were cool stuff though.

i'd go so far as to say that missiles have always been fairly uninteresting. the most interesting thing they do is open new doors and reveal secrets.

RagnarokX

Boney said:
My most reasonable explanation to this is that, Adam just wouldn't want to authorize an ability just because she could use it in that specific moment, because she didn't want her to grow too powerful and what not. Maybe he felt that she could've just passed through Area 3 quickly enough without the need to authorize the suit, since there's really no need to have it. Just a convinience. And when things started to get ugly, he granted it.

I still feel it doesn't really make sense for defensive abilities. Didn't take that much issue though.
Well,
When Samus enters sector 3, Adam tells Samus to explore where she can with her current equipment, but she is forced to go through the lava rooms. Maybe he didn't want her to go that way. Still doesn't make much sense, though, since he never tells her not to go that way and maintains radio contact throughout sector 3 to authorize ice beam and varia suit.
radcliff said:
But its not the same Ridley, its a different one. One that we actually see the evolution of through the course of this game (cute little fluffy > El Poco Loco > Ridley.) Maybe that is why she was so frightened. She wasn't expecting Ridley since its dead. Then along come this new one, one that she could have disposed of before it ever becomes a threat back in Sector 1 at the beginning of the game, but she lets it go.
Ridley likely retained his memories, since he kept attacking Samus specifically. Though that's my take on it. Ridley should have been dead for good after Zebes blew up. He was extremely unexpected to Samus.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I can deal with them wanting some heat room areas from a gameplay perspective, but at least tell me the Varia function has to charge up or something. It doesn't really bother me, and I exaggerate how much the authorisation thing bothers me on here, but it's one of those little things that bothers me when you see it in games that clearly had the time and budget to be inventive.

Boney

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Well,
When Samus enters sector 3, Adam tells Samus to explore where she can with her current equipment, but she is forced to go through the lava rooms. Maybe he didn't want her to go that way. Still doesn't make much sense, though, since he never tells her not to go that way and maintains radio contact throughout sector 3 to authorize ice beam and varia suit.
What I mean is, that she can take the heat. It's not gonna kill her. That's why it wasn't authorized inmediatly.

But yeah, it's one of those moments that make you go like wtf was that¿?

RagnarokX

Boney said:
What I mean is, that she can take the heat. It's not gonna kill her. That's why it wasn't authorized inmediatly.

But yeah, it's one of those moments that make you go like wtf was that¿?
I suppose it's still a better excuse than "Oops, I left all of my upgrades at home for no reason. Good thing they all respawned on Zebes!"

AniHawk

Rez said:
I mean, I can deal with them wanting some heat room areas from a gameplay perspective, but at least tell me the Varia function has to charge up or something. It doesn't really bother me, and I exaggerate how much the authorisation thing bothers me on here, but it's one of those little things that bothers me when you see it in games that clearly had the time and budget to be inventive.

At least with Fusion's "authorization" system of getting data and stuff, the federation was actually withholding stuff from her because they actually didn't want her to become too strong. I can buy the idea that you don't want to blow a hole through the entire station, but there's no harm in having the ability to use a grapple beam or Varia suit.

hatchx

Banned
So I finished it today.

I really liked it. Definitely not as big and epic as the Prime games, but a great Metroid nontheless.

I really enjoyed the action-heavy approach, and the wiimote controls were pretty novel. I never had a problem with first person missiles- it's certainly different but now that I'm used to it I'm a pro. The auto-aim and parry system are quite brilliant and very rewarding. Once I understood how to dodge in FP mode, I practically never got hit.

My only real issue was the story. I never cared for any of the characters, and the
scene where Adam dies
was awkward and I didn't know what was going on.
It would have made more sense if we actually SAW sector 0 blow up rather than just float away....
I also really disliked Anthony. I don't know why, but his character really felt like it was out a kid's movie and did not belong in a Metroid game at all.

I'd really like for them to make a sequel for this on 3DS. I think the camera style would lend itself beautifully to a 3D experience, and the D-Pad controls would carry over nicely.

Overall a great game. Very intuitive and a gameplay style that is completely fresh. I'd recommend it to any wii owner.

I'd give it an 8.5

heringer

AniHawk said:
At least with Fusion's "authorization" system of getting data and stuff, the federation was actually withholding stuff from her because they actually didn't want her to become too strong. I can buy the idea that you don't want to blow a hole through the entire station, but there's no harm in having the ability to use a grapple beam or Varia suit.
Varia Suit, I agree, but grapple beam grants her access to new areas. At the beginning of the game Adam is very adamant about the secrecy of Federation business, so I guess he wanted to get a better understanding of the situation before letting Samus poke her nose around the whole ship. Eventually he was forced to authorize her abilities since everything was falling apart.

AniHawk

Bizzyb said:
This game has one of THE BEST opening Cinematics ever seen in a Videogame

can we at least all agree on that?

purely visually speaking, and not taking into account things like everything else that was happening?

Bizzyb

Banned
AniHawk said:
purely visually speaking, and not taking into account things like everything else that was happening?

Huh?? No, I mean overall. It being a remake to the ending of Super Metroid, and being extremely epic and visually mind blowing.

Kard8p3

Bizzyb said:
This game has one of THE BEST opening Cinematics ever seen in a Videogame

can we at least all agree on that?

I definitely agree. To see the final boss of Super Metroid remade with gorgeous visuals was amazing.

Rrang129

okay... Im completely lost here....

Im at the end-game, and there are 2 pick ups in the main sector that for the life of me I cant reach... they are both blocked by elevators that do not work, am I missing something here???

robor

Shikamaru Ninja said:
There really was no excuse for this Nintendo. I also feel Nintendo made a mistake with 3D movement in loss of full control of your aiming.

What do you mean exactly by full control of your aiming? If this is directed towards the auto-aim function, then I must ask the question, isn't it based on proximity range? The Prime games (non-Wii versions) also didn't have full control of aiming either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I felt like the auto-aim was mostly fantastic. It worked so well with most of the combat design.

Boney

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Does every person who has a terrifying experience develop PTSD?
I don't know you tell me.

Rrang129 said:
okay... Im completely lost here....

Im at the end-game, and there are 2 pick ups in the main sector that for the life of me I cant reach... they are both blocked by elevators that do not work, am I missing something here???
The hallway prior to the big elevator room has a powerbomb door.

Penguin

hamchan said:
Does Batman get scared when he sees Joe Chill?

Oh! Me! Me!

The fact of the matter is in comics/movies, Batman only sees Joe Chill once after he kills his parents.

In the movie, he reacts to the extreme and tries to shoot the man before he is shoot to death, and even then he freezes up in horror at the monster being defeated.

In the comics, he teams up for him.

If you want to use Batman, check out the clip of Return of the Joker, I posted a few pages back. where he actually does freeze up and even says, "No!" when he sees the Joker return from the dead.

Poyunch

Kard8p3 said:
I want to see samus under the effects of fear gas.
You just want Samus to make this face.
2n83iqa.jpg

Kard8p3

Penguin said:
I'm sure it will be just like the scene in question in this thread. :lol

You could have a scene where Samus turns to child Samus and you walk through her home planet as the space pirates and ridley are attacking. It could be awesome.

PounchEnvy said:
You just want Samus to make this face.
2n83iqa.jpg

I can't deny it.

evangd007

Kard8p3 said:
You could have a scene where Samus turns to child Samus and you walk through her home planet as the space pirates and ridley are attacking. It could be awesome.

Batman: Arkham Asylum did it. And it was awesome.

jman2050

complete on 100%

The
escape was expected, but doing it in the Zero Suit definitely wasn't.
It was pretty sweet all things considered.

Poyunch

Yeah that's the thing that I think the game could have done better. I would have said this earlier but a certain incident having to do with a certain user got me distracted and preoccupied.

I think it would have been much better if the game had literally let you explore your past. As in play through the major parts of her history (at least the ones that had action). It would have helped create a connection with Samus' past (if you hadn't read the manga) and especially with Adam who we're somewhat forced to accept as someone important to Samus because the game tells you he is.

I don't think the mixup in gameplay would have made a big deal either (major major end-game spoilers)
because you get to play as Zero Suit Samus for a short time in the post-game anyway.

Kard8p3

evangd007 said:
Batman: Arkham Asylum did it. And it was awesome.

Yeah all the batman stuff was what got it in my head. That game did an amazing job with it and if we could get something like that in a metroid game just for one little section it could be awesome.

PounchEnvy said:
Yeah that's the thing that I think the game could have done better. I would have said this earlier but a certain incident having to do with a certain user got me distracted and preoccupied.

I think it would have been much better if the game had literally let you explore your past. As in play through the major parts of her history (at least the ones that had action). It would have helped create a connection with Samus' past (if you hadn't read the manga) and especially with Adam who we're somewhat forced to accept as someone important to Samus because the game tells you he is.

I don't think the mixup in gameplay would have made a big deal either (major major end-game spoilers)
because you get to play as Zero Suit Samus for a short time in the post-game anyway.

That would've been a great way to explore her past without ever really losing control. I kind wish they would've done something like this now.

AniHawk

That is really a fantastic idea, and the exact sort of thing Sakamoto and others (like the people at Naughty Dog) should be trying to do.

Gravijah

I ponder aloud what maketh other m the best game since super mario sunshine?

and then i realize

it's the soul of samus aran.

Solune

Just finished the game, it was a good metroid experience.
It would've been cool if you could play as Samus in the outfit she's wearing before the credits roll.

robor

Just started the game FINALLY. Things I already don't like about the narrative/dialog: the overuse of "Adam" and "Baby" along with phrases like "of course" and "as a result". They're using it like fucking crack! Both Adam and Samus reek of Sakamoto's brain! They're almost the same person I swear.

It sounds sooooo watered down. Sakamoto does NOT have the writing chops thus far to convey what looks to be an interesting story.

Top Bottom