• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Kard8p3

robor said:
Just started the game FINALLY. Things I already don't like about the narrative/dialog: the overuse of "Adam" and "Baby" along with phrases like "of course" and "as a result". They're using it like fucking crack! Both Adam and Samus reek of Sakamoto's brain! They're almost the same person I swear.

It sounds sooooo watered down. Sakamoto does NOT have the writing chops thus far to convey what looks to be an interesting story.

Yeah that's definitely true. He can come up with an interesting story but if he continues in this direction for future metroid games he needs help with the dialogue.

Combine

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Yeah that's definitely true. He can come up with an interesting story but if he continues in this direction for future metroid games he needs help with the dialogue.
Either that or he needs to let the translation team alter things up for better digestion from western audiences. The over-the-top inner monologue and nuance/symbolism talk that is a staple of japanese acting just doesn't work well for western tastes if not translated well. I doubt a game like Phoenix Wright would have done so well if the awesome translator hadn't been able to change things to fit western culture.

Sakamoto needs to let the translators (like the ones who do the Mario RPG games) change things up if he keeps on this path for Metroid. And of course, Hire a better Voice Acting Director (I'm sure Samus' VA could do better if she was directed better in how she reads her lines).

I actually am enjoying the game and feel I'd enjoy the story a lot more if it weren't for all the issues I noted above. But I do miss Retro's scanning. There are so many props in the world I feel should have descriptions to them because they look cool.

ASIS

Just got the 100% and.. well my reaction throughout the course of the game was this:

"Okay this is interesting... Wow that's really cool... OMG THAT'S SO AWESOME.. This could be my favo- wait that's it?"

desertdroog

Finished the game, working on my 100%.

The game seemed too short, all things considered.

So far I love every game in this IP (excluding Hunters or Metroid 2 as I haven't played either of them), and this is no different. I hope Nintendo gives us another Third Person Metroid game in 3D and embellishes on the groundwork Team Ninja started. The next one could be awesome. I tilt this game 8, with a bias of loving all things Metroid.

robor

After 3 hours I can safely say that Team Ninja were not confident with Sakamoto's design choices. : \ There are some really bizarre design "patches" in this game. It's.......really fricken weird.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
robor said:
After 3 hours I can safely say that Team Ninja were not confident with Sakamoto's design choices. : \ There are some really bizarre design "patches" in this game. It's.......really fricken weird.
Let's spread the blame out evenly. Sakamoto was Writer, Producer and Director. Mastermind.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Rez said:
Let's spread the blame out evenly. Sakamoto was Writer, Producer and Director. Mastermind.
You could say he's a bit of an author, dream weaver, visionary.

plus actor

robor

I just found the COOLEST combination of modes: Use overblast then switch to FPS mode to deliver a missile blast. It's soooo good.

Easy_D said:
You could say he's a bit of an author, dream weaver, visionary.

plus actor

"Something was pouring from his mouth. He examined his sleeve. Blood!? Blood. Crimson copper-smelling blood, his blood. Blood. Blood. Blood.

...And bits of sick."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
6 hours in and the end seems to be closing in. Is the game really that short?

Running around after powering up definitely improves the experience. I'm not a huge fan of games locking you into a space until you defeat enemies which just soak up tons of damage. At this point, most rooms do not lock and most enemies go down much faster. Definitely more fun.

radcliff

Rrang129 said:
okay... Im completely lost here....

Im at the end-game, and there are 2 pick ups in the main sector that for the life of me I cant reach... they are both blocked by elevators that do not work, am I missing something here???

I was in the same predicament.
You can actually get them before the power in the elevators go out. Once the power goes out, they will only be accessable again after you beat the epilogue boss.

Bizzyb

Banned
Nintendo-4Life said:
Just got the 100% and.. well my reaction throughout the course of the game was this:

"Okay this is interesting... Wow that's really cool... OMG THAT'S SO AWESOME.. This could be my favo- wait that's it?"

Replay on Hard made. I think doing that gives a new kind of look at the game. Yeah it's short (compared to the Prime Games) but it's a good length for a 2D Metroid (which it essentially is)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:

Running around after powering up definitely improves the experience. I'm not a huge fan of games locking you into a space until you defeat enemies which just soak up tons of damage. At this point, most rooms do not lock and most enemies go down much faster. Definitely more fun.
I thought the same thing was happening to me and then all of the sudden the game was over and the timer was 8.5 hours. 100%ing took me too 10.5 hours and some of that's due to retarded backtracking on my part.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
dark10x said:

That does seem to get better as you progress thru the game. I think that's one of the things I miss about enemies dropping power ups. In Other M, there's no point in killing them other than to get them out of your way. I think it would be more fun and rewarding if some enemies dropped items once you killed them. I'd also like them to apply this to bosses.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
MadOdorMachine said:
That does seem to get better as you progress thru the game. I think that's one of the things I miss about enemies dropping power ups. In Other M, there's no point in killing them other than to get them out of your way. I think it would be more fun and rewarding if some enemies dropped items once you killed them. I'd also like them to apply this to bosses.

I'm the exact opposite. It's far more realistic this aprooach, and makes each individual encounter far more threatening. Combat is for survival now - not to power yourself up. So enemies aren't fodder, but really an obstacle trying to prevent you from getting to your destination. Too many games throw enemies at you, for example, before bosses just so you can collect some extra health, weapons, or experiences, not that it's challenging or even makes sense in context. Other M has a slightly different approach and I'm a fan.

rhino4evr

Initial impressions from an NES owner/Metroid enthusiast.

Played up to Sector 1 last night..so far I have mixed feelings. I like that it really looks like Metroid more so then the Prime series ever did (I love the Prime series though).

I also appreciate just how fast samus is, even before I get the speed boots. It's a nice change from how slow you walked in Prime.

So far I'm not completey sold on the combat, but maybe I'm just not used to it. It really feels like I'm running around, and I'm actually scared to go into FPS mode, I hope I get over that fear, as trying to kill some of these enemies with just the charge shot gets a bit boring.

I like how the items seem pretty well hidden, and scanning the room doesn't help all that much, compared to Prime at least which had large glowing panels whenever something was destructible...I think its going to make finding items a little more simialr to the original games, where you are looking for environmental clues instead of glowing bricks.

The voice acting and story so far is extremely weak...especially after just finishing games like Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Heavy rain, and Red Dead Redemption..which all had incredible voice work and written dialog. "I can't feel the baby"...WTF does that even mean?

Finally...I had my set turned down..but did they get rid of the awesome "item acquired" music? Why!!?!

Overall after an hour or two of play, I'm definitely interested to see where they take this...but I'm still a little skeptical.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm only a couple hours in to it, and the gameplay itself is okay. It's nothing overly addicting, but it's nothing to complain about.

The story and voice acting is horrific. I actually find it better if you just mute the parts where Samus is talking, and just watch the cinema. It's much more powerful and must less annoying. :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
John Harker said:
I'm the exact opposite. It's far more realistic this aprooach, and makes each individual encounter far more threatening. Combat is for survival now - not to power yourself up. So enemies aren't fodder, but really an obstacle trying to prevent you from getting to your destination. Too many games throw enemies at you, for example, before bosses just so you can collect some extra health, weapons, or experiences, not that it's challenging or even makes sense in context. Other M has a slightly different approach and I'm a fan.
At the end of the day, they did a good job at bringing the 2D to 3D. They changed it up some and it's nice to have variety. I still try to speed past all the baddies, but there are sometimes when I can't. I just miss the reward of killing things. It's an action game and I want to be encouraged to kill something, especially a boss. I think it just makes it a little mundane to have to trod through all the enemies with out getting anything in return. I particularly find this to be the case on a second play thru. Maybe a compromise would be that if there is a room where you're forced to clear it out, there is also a hidden item in there as well.

rhino4evr -

Thanks for the impressions. I look forward to seeing what you have to say about it later on.

rhino4evr

Lol did anyone else "bomb jump" out of habit into that tunnel with the missle near the first elevator...only to later realize you could just use ball jump?

Old Habits die hard. LOL

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
bomb jumping doesn't last as long in this game. It has a height restriction, but yeah, I did that as well as try to shoot open doors. I still try to shoot open doors. That's another thing I wish they would have included.

rhino4evr

MadOdorMachine said:
bomb jumping doesn't last as long in this game. It has a height restriction, but yeah, I did that as well as try to shoot open doors. I still try to shoot open doors. That's another thing I wish they would have included.
Yeah..that seems like such an obvious choice..I guess they still have missle and bomb locked doors, but I kinda miss being able to shoot door to open them.

So is the "item" song in this game? I haven't heard it yet? Maybe when you find a really big item?

Oh and i completely forgot to complain about the whole "weapons restricted" nonsense. I mean really? You can't use your powers because you aren't "authorized"? You are a independent agent, not a member of the Federation..the General should have no power over you. It makes no sense, I wish she would just dump her powers at the beginning. It never bothered me in the other games.

Is it so hard to believe that after a mission Samus removes her abilities? It's no more of a stretch that there are hidden missle upgrades hidden in air ducts, or the fact that she had 255 missles and now only has 10. There is no reason to try to make sense out of something that makes no sense in the first place.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
rhino4evr said:
Yeah..that seems like such an obvious choice..I guess they still have missle and bomb locked doors, but I kinda miss being able to shoot door to open them.

So is the "item" song in this game? I haven't heard it yet? Maybe when you find a really big item?

Oh and i completely forgot to complain about the whole "weapons restricted" nonsense. I mean really? You can't use your powers because you aren't "authorized"? You are a independent agent, not a member of the Federation..the General should have no power over you. It makes no sense, I wish she would just dump her powers at the beginning. It never bothered me in the other games.

Is it so hard to believe that after a mission Samus removes her abilities? It's no more of a stretch that there are hidden missle upgrades hidden in air ducts, or the fact that she had 255 missles and now only has 10. There is no reason to try to make sense out of something that makes no sense in the first place.
The item song is gone. When you load the game you can hear a remix of the "intro" but for the most part the music is more atmospheric and void of melody. I think the music is kind of low as far as the mix goes as well. I wish there was an option menu to turn it up more.

As far as the story and unlocking you upgrades goes, a lot of people have complained about it. They were trying something new. I don't particularly like it myself, but I understand why they unlocked stuff the way they did. The premise of the story itself isn't bad imo, just the dialog and voice acting. There's been a lot of debating about it.

rhino4evr said:

Yeah. I've never had much of a problem with the unlikelihood of her being powered down, because it serves the purpose of the game. This game's explanation works against the game by removing the opportunity to earn abilities. And it still doesn't "fix" the old problem because she's missing all her energy tanks and missiles. It's the worst of both worlds - two stupid explanations instead of one with no upside.

rhino4evr

robor said:
THE BABY MET IT'S END ABOVE MY HEAD.
I couldnt feel Da BABY Parts on my suitszor!

Oh noes! Crying Baby distress signal.

I will never see da baby again.

I give it da thumbs down for saying the word lady.

So..so..silly. I mean if I was the nintendo localization crew, I would leave this game off my resume.

A.CHAP

Banned
Leondexter said:
Yeah. I've never had much of a problem with the unlikelihood of her being powered down, because it serves the purpose of the game. This game's explanation works against the game by removing the opportunity to earn abilities. And it still doesn't "fix" the old problem because she's missing all her energy tanks and missiles. It's the worst of both worlds - two stupid explanations instead of one with no upside.

I still dont get this.
Its the most plausible explanation for starting out with no upgrades.
It has no effect on the gameplay.

Well, when a game in a series not normally known for its story suddenly tries to tell a serious story, don't fault the fans when they point out its flaws.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Green Mamba said:
Well, when a game in a series not normally known for its story suddenly tries to tell a serious story, don't fault the fans when they point out its flaws.

The bomb was dropped on Metroid Fusion. This shouldn't be a shocker.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Green Mamba said:

;) I don't think most are faulting the fans for saying the story could have been better.

A lot of fans, on the other hand, have gone into bulldog attack mode wishing death on Sakamoto over the very fact that they even tried to put a story in. The "broken base" freak-out over Other M is truly epic, stuff of legends.

It's going to be very interesting to look back in a couple of years and see how this one settles.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
A.CHAP said:
I still dont get this.
Its the most plausible explanation for starting out with no upgrades.
It has no effect on the gameplay.
There were other ways of doing it. I don't want to spoil the story, but they could have worked it in that Samus had all of her abilities drained once she arrived on the Bottle Ship. As far as an effect on gameplay, it does take away a sense of accomplishment. There's no reward for beating the baddies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SpacePirate Ridley said:
You are sexiest :mad:
Joking, thats a really great review, talking about what works and what doesnt. I agree with the majority of it.

Thanks!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think part of the problem is the emo voice and childish dialog they gave Samus. Anyone who played Fusion knew going into this game that they would explain Adam and the Galactic Federation bit. I think most people were shocked at the way it was presented though and I'm not talking about graphics.

Edit -
Kaijima said:
It's going to be very interesting to look back in a couple of years and see how this one settles.
Indeed it is. I think Sakamoto will learn from this though. He made some comments that he was looking forward to seeing both the positive and negative reaction.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The amount of attempted storytelling in Fusion is nothing compared to Other M's.

I think the whole issue with the "authorization" is the fact that they took something from Metroid that made little logical sense but fans accept (Samus's upgrades just happening to be where ever she is) and replaced it with something that not only somehow makes less logical sense, but attempted to explain it in detail.

Or maybe it stings because this is the only Metroid game where you are forced to run through superheated rooms to get the Varia Suit and at the same time is the only Metroid game where Samus has the Varia Suit already but just neglects to turn it on.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
MadOdorMachine said:
I think part of the problem is the emo voice and childish dialog they gave Samus. Anyone who played Fusion knew going into this game that they would explain Adam and the Galactic Federation bit. I think most people were shocked at the way it was presented though and I'm not talking about graphics.

Samus does have the worst V.O of the cast. I do agree her monologues are awkward. The English localization could have done a better job. But i think the overall story is WEIRD. That is why I like it. This isn't a generic Samus seeking vengeance on Dark Samus (Prime Series). Or anything repetitious at all from standard video game stories.

In fact. A lot of this game is weird and never been done before. It's classic Metroid with new eccentricities. Just like Fusion.

This game rocks.

Ridley327

Other M's story is weird? It's about as generic as you can get for the genre. If anything, it could have done with substantially more randomness like
Phantoon's unexplained and non-essential appearance.

I wondered when they were going introduce to the requisite betrayal, and not two seconds after I pondered such a thought did the Deleter nonsense commence.

Wizpig

Ridley327 said:
Other M's story is weird? It's about as generic as you can get for the genre. If anything, it could have done with substantially more randomness like
Phantoon's unexplained and non-essential appearance.

I wondered when they were going introduce to the requisite betrayal, and not two seconds after I pondered such a thought did the Deleter nonsense commence.
This.
And it sucks because of this.
And Fusion's story was better because of this.

Wait, maybe it was better also because i played it when i was 15 years old or something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wizpig said:
This.
And it sucks because of this.
And Fusion's story was better because of this.

Wait, maybe it was better also because i played it when i was 15 years old or something.

Because you were 15. Fusion's story is also generic and shit, and the whole Adam thing is about as hamfisted as it gets. The narration was shitty too.

Dragmire

I can't help but picture a lot of posters here smoking a pipe and wearing an ascot as they play Other M, saying stuff like, "
Ridley
on the Bottleship? Preposterous!" "Samus doesn't use her full powers? Balderdash!"

Boney

Banned
rhino4evr said:

Use missiles man. Sense move to get the charge shot right away. Normal shots whenever you're not dodging and jump on top of enemies to deliver overblasts almost anytime. And get a clue for lethal strikes.

Thumbs down means that she doesn't have objection to the mission as well, not that hard to understand you guys.

Ridley327

Dragmire said:
I can't help but picture a lot of posters here smoking a pipe and wearing an ascot as they play Other M, saying stuff like, "
Ridley
on the Bottleship? Preposterous!" "Samus doesn't use her full powers? Balderdash!"

All of that stuff gets explained, with varying degrees of satisfaction. What I'm harping on in particular is it's all entirely dull.

Wizpig

Dragmire said:
Ridley
:lol

No, well, the big problems with Other M are gameplay ones for me.

MechaX

Dragmire said:
Ridley

Ridley's
appearance actually makes logical sense and the game actually gives a pretty valid reason behind that particular thread.

I have yet to hear of a logical explanation to why Adam decided to authorize the heat-resistant suit only until journeying through lava and halfway into a volcano outside of answers that he was taking a bathroom break at the time. You really don't need to be Holmes in order to detect a problem with this sequence of events.

Mithos

Gold Member
Green Mamba said:

(not directed to you, just the misconception that Metroid don't have a "story")

The only way you think that Metroid don't have a story is if you didn't scan anything in Prime-series, and read it.

The story was there, just not in the way we are used to, being server on a silver platter, and right outspoken for you to just listen to.

Wizpig said:
:lol

No, well, the big problems with Other M are gameplay ones for me.

I am no fan of Ninja Gaiden gameplay either, but I found that this worked pretty well for Metroid Other M, and I wouldn't cry if a prequel/sequel came to Other M.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Samus does have the worst V.O of the cast. I do agree her monologues are awkward. The English localization could have done a better job. But i think the overall story is WEIRD. That is why I like it. This isn't a generic Samus seeking vengeance on Dark Samus (Prime Series). Or anything repetitious at all from standard video game stories.

In fact. A lot of this game is weird and never been done before. It's classic Metroid with new eccentricities. Just like Fusion.

This game rocks.
Yeah despite my criticism of it, it's my GOTY. I'd still rate it a 7.5 out of 10 because of its flaws but it brings a lot of fresh ideas too. It's the first traditional Metroid game in a long time and I love the new focus on action! I'm glad they brought Samus back to her roots, but I also hope they fix the acting and dialog. As far as story goes, I liked the plot twists despite the holes that were in it. There are some parts that just didn't fit imo though.
The way Adam went out with the Sector Zero bit didn't jive with me. He went out to kill the Metroids, yet the Queen was left behind to hatch more babies. So he basically died for nothing and it degraded both his and Samus' character imo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil mined this story territory years ago.

Top Bottom