• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
You're not alone at all. I thought the soundtrack worked great in the game. Sure it's not all your typical Metroid music but it works well.
Guess I sound like a crazy person repeating myself over and over, but I do too.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
PounchEnvy said:
But it was perceived as the continuation of the Paper Mario RPGs.

Mario is bigger than Metroid; a single entry in a Mario sidestory series disappointing can't cause nearly the same level of drama.

For instance, nobody really says "fucking Super Paper Mario" when the topic of Mario is brought up, but they /do/ tend to insert "fucking Super Mario Sunshine" unasked because there's more profound bitterness that the flagship title didn't meet their high expectations.

Metroid is small enough that a new console entry is going to have the expectations and hopes of the entire franchise resting on its shoulders.

Boney

Banned
Kaijima said:
Mario is bigger than Metroid; a single entry in a Mario sidestory series disappointing can't cause nearly the same level of drama.

For instance, nobody really says "fucking Super Paper Mario" when the topic of Mario is brought up, but they /do/ tend to insert "fucking Super Mario Sunshine" unasked because there's more profound bitterness that the flagship title didn't meet their high expectations.

Metroid is small enough that a new console entry is going to have the expectations and hopes of the entire franchise resting on its shoulders.
Not sure if I get this, but I consider this one to be Metroid 5.

KevinCow

Banned
Boney said:
It's funny, I just watched the nanomachine one from the MGS4 thread, and was wondering why nobody did it for this one :lol

It's still only like 10 Babys though... and you made it :lol

Only ten because it's only the opening cutscene. It would be too painful to do the rest of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
Not sure if I get this,
of course not, it's flawed logic that is based in easily manipulable psychology being used to make a point that isn't actually saying anything other than 'it's not that bad', which is never the strongest thing to be arguing to begin with.

Wizpig

PounchEnvy said:
But it was perceived as the continuation of the Paper Mario RPGs.
And, sure enough, while it wasn't a true Paper Mario, it was a pretty cool game.

Other M had bigger expectations, that's the problem.
Also, it has many gameplay flaws and, in my opinion, lack of polish.

Also, what Kaijima said.

Boney

Banned
Rez said:
of course not, it's flawed logic that is based in easily manipulable psychology being used to make a point that isn't actually saying anything other than 'it's not that bad', which is never the strongest thing to be arguing to begin with.

Wizpig said:
Also, what Kaijima said.

My head.... ungh....

How somebody can say that it doesn't have polish, it's beyond me. Look how they talked about animating her, about the eye and the mouth.

rhino4evr

Having a Metroid game without the "item obtained" theme is like having a Mario game without the "1-up" sound effect. Such a bad choice. It disappoints me everytime.

Wizpig

Erm, not sure i see the problem, i agree with Kajima about what he said on Paper Mario / Mario Sunshine and how Mario is different from Metroid, that's all.
You can't honestly say he's wrong :p

About the lack of polish... graphics could have been better, action gameplay is not perfect at all, etc.

Maybe it's better to say that some ideas in my opinion are just BAD and make this game less enjoyable (just like the lack of music).

Like infinite missiles.
and infinite power bombs.
and button-mashing in order to "evade" (no real timing necessary, and sometimes you evade when you don't want to)
and hyping this game as a game with an amazing plot when, after all, it's pretty ridicolous.
I could go on, unfortunately.

The problem here is that this is supposed to be a Metroid game.
If this was a new IP, heck, reactions would have been a lot different... i know i'm speaking the obvious here.

Poyunch

The game is polished. You just can't polish in certain features. :p But what's there is finely tuned. (except maybe the story)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's not that it's wrong so much as it is mostly irrelevant to any discussion concerning the quality of Other M that isn't mired in lofty armchair behavioural analysis.

Wizpig

rhino4evr said:
Having a Metroid game without the "item obtained" theme is like having a Mario game without the "1-up" sound effect. Such a bad choice. It disappoints me everytime.
You will kill me after this one, but i had to Youtube it because i forgot how the item fanfare sounded.

I find it more disturbing that the usual "save room" music isn't there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGtiOuQROY8

A lot more.

JoeFu

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Haha I just hummed the song whenever I picked up an item. Was so sad that the theme was missing.

Also I loved Sunshine too but wasn't really on the internets back then, so I never saw the backlash. Still see the hate in mario threads though.

Boney

Banned
Wizpig said:
Erm, not sure i see the problem, i agree with Kajima about what he said on Paper Mario / Mario Sunshine and how Mario is different from Metroid, that's all.

You can't honestly say he's wrong :p

About the lack of polish... graphics could have been better, action gameplay is not perfect at all, etc.

Maybe it's better to say that some ideas in my opinion are just BAD and make this game less enjoyable (just like the lack of music).

Like infinite missiles.
and infinite power bombs.
and button-mashing in order to "evade" (no real timing necessary, and sometimes you evade when you don't want to)

and hyping this game as a game with an amazing plot when, after all, it's pretty ridicolous.
I could go on, unfortunately.

The problem here is that this is supposed to be a Metroid game.
If this was a new IP, heck, reactions would have been a lot different... i know i'm speaking the obvious here.
:mad:

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Metroid: Other M is basically Metroid Fusion 2. Metroid GBA in 3D. That is what the game is. It is quite ambitious and imperfect, but overall It's terrific.

I skimmed how someone mentioned "oh Metroid Prime is much more like Super Metroid". Obviously, you must be referring to the map and design layout. Which may be true. But I don't think Sakamoto wants to make Super Metroid over and over again. That is what is great about the core Metroid team, they are not afraid to breakaway from the mold. We have Metroid 2 and Metroid Fusion, which are both very unique sequels of the true Metroid franchise. And this is what makes the series so special.

Let designers take chances. Stop imposing asinine rules to sequels.

I appreciated Metroid Prime, but it was never Metroid to me. It was Metroid Prime. How many times were we going to fight Dark Samus? I just didn't see the point of sequels. There was nothing new being introduced to the mechanics or story of the game. (Outside of the cool Wii controls which was an extrinsical innovation). But ultimately adapting Metroid to an FPS (like 90000 other games), felt like a safe way to let an American team do a spin-off Metroid. Now with Other M, we get to see a less safe way of doing a 3D Metroid, and I love it.

You may not. But I do.

PS. I wish the soundtrack was done by Minako Hamano and Kenji Yamamoto. Classic Metroid soundtrack team of Nintendo.

robot

Is there anything left to do
after getting adams helmet and escaping the ship
besides going for 100% items? Is there a reward for getting 100%?

And was
that last boss you fought in the epilogue Mother Brain?

Boney

Banned
robot said:
Is there anything left to do
after getting adams helmet and escaping the ship
besides going for 100% items? Is there a reward for getting 100%?

And was
that last boss you fought in the epilogue Mother Brain?
The last boss
is Phantoon. One of the bosses of Super Metroid, which is basically a giant ghost head. Except it's not a ghost on this one, but nvm that

100% gives you hard mode, which is awesome sauce. Not to mention finding the upgrades in itself is pretty fun.

I think Shikamaru Ninja is a bigger fan than I am.

klausbert

I've made it through the game, it was a real blast. Enjoyed it much more than the Primes, which never really clicked for me. I REALLY hope they make a 2nd Other M, they just need to get a better translation team(some of the lines were REALLY bad), make it less linear and they need to make the end in the next one more interesting. But the current combat system is gold, i really want that in the next game.

JohngPR

Just beat the game a few hours ago.

I really enjoyed the game. Loved that it was more action paced than the Prime series and I think that Team Ninja really added to the Metroid formula here.

I think the story is getting a bad rap. Yes the localization is a bit more Japanese (and melodramatic) than it should have been, but it was a decent story. The voice acting was good although I think that whoever voiced Samus probably got horrible direction for the character. It just seems like she was supposed to sound distant, but they went too far with it.

Also, it probably has one of the best epilogues I've ever played in a game. Awesome!

I copied my save to a diff slot before I beat the epilogue so I could go back and get 100% later

If I had to give it a score, I think I'd score it an 8.5.

It loses points because it's too short (for a Metroid game) and the story could have been a bit less heavy handed. Also one of the last boss fights (pre-credits) was annoying as fuck. I wasn't sure what to do so I died 6-7 times before I figured it out.

Kard8p3

JohngPR said:
Just beat the game a few hours ago.

I really enjoyed the game. Loved that it was more action paced than the Prime series and I think that Team Ninja really added to the Metroid formula here.

I think the story is getting a bad rap. Yes the localization is a bit more Japanese (and melodramatic) than it should have been, but it was a decent story. The voice acting was good although I think that whoever voiced Samus probably got horrible direction for the character. It just seems like she was supposed to sound distant, but they went too far with it.

Also, it probably has one of the best epilogues I've ever played in a game. Awesome!

I copied my save to a diff slot before I beat the epilogue so I could go back and get 100% later

If I had to give it a score, I think I'd score it an 8.5.

It loses points because it's too short (for a Metroid game) and the story could have been a bit less heavy handed. Also one of the last boss fights (pre-credits) was annoying as fuck. I wasn't sure what to do so I died 6-7 times before I figured it out.

What was your final time?

Boney

Banned
You don't have to copy your file to get 100% though. It drops you off at the hangar.

And it's definately the longest "2d" Metroid. Glad you liked it :)

GaussTek

Yep, I also finished it yesterday. I think my final time was around 9:30 hours. In a few words, I enjoyed it a lot and I agree with the last posts here. Don't wanna go for the 100% but at least
I wanna see Phantoon.

robor

Shikamaru Ninja said:
That is what is great about the core Metroid team, they are not afraid to breakaway from the mold.*

PS. I wish the soundtrack was done by Minako Hamano and Kenji Yamamoto. Classic Metroid soundtrack team of Nintendo.^

*There was hardly a core team in this game though, there was like.....3 people.

^YES. Minako Hamano would of been amazing for this game imo.

I think it's great that they tried something completely new, it's what defines the Metroid franchise. This had to happen really and there are some great features to take away from this game (despite my overall outlook on it) for future installments.

JohngPR

Kard8p3 said:
What was your final time?

14 hours. Take into consideration that I had 78% of the secrets so the majority of that was exploring. I could have easily beaten the game in 8-9 hours, but I like to take my time.

30cpnpx.jpg

Boney said:
You don't have to copy your file to get 100% though. It drops you off at the hangar.

And it's definately the longest "2d" Metroid. Glad you liked it :)

Ah, I thought that once you beat the epilogue
and the ship blew up, you couldn't go back.
:lol

I guess I was having a good time with it and didn't want it to be over. Now that you mention it, the time is probably comporable to the other 2D games in the series. I thought the Prime games ran sort of long (at least Prime 1 did for me, the only one I've played of the three so far), so at least it left me wanting more.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
There was hardly a core team in this game though, there was like.....3 people.

Core planning team. Sakamoto and Hosokawa. There are like 4 other artists from Nintendo involved, and some other coordinators etc. But the core Metroid planning team was there. That's the point.

Kard8p3

JohngPR said:
14 hours. Take into consideration that I had 78% of the secrets so the majority of that was exploring. I could have easily beaten the game in 8-9 hours, but I like to take my time.

30cpnpx.jpg

Ah, I thought that once you beat the epilogue
and the ship blew up, you couldn't go back.
:lol

I guess I was having a good time with it and didn't want it to be over. Now that you mention it, the time is probably comporable to the other 2D games in the series. I thought the Prime games ran sort of long (at least Prime 1 did for me, the only one I've played of the three so far), so at least it left me wanting more.

14 hours huh? That's about an hour longer than it took me to 100% Prime 3. It's definitely the longest of the Sakamoto Metroid games. For me I had a little over 11 hours when I 100% this game.

JohngPR

Kard8p3 said:
14 hours huh? That's about an hour longer than it took me to 100% Prime 3. It's definitely the longest of the Sakamoto Metroid games. For me I had a little over 11 hours when I 100% this game.

Not sure if pausing counts towards you play time, but if so, then a lot of that extra time was that. LOL

My playtimes are generally longer than other people's anyway because I like to explore. :D

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I think we will see a continuation of Other M. Just not with Team Ninja. Sakamoto will likely have to find or assemble another programming / modeling team.

Team Ninja is probably booked for the next 2 years with Dead or Alive Dimensions. Ninja Gaiden 3DS. Dead or Alive 5. Ninja Gaiden 3. And anyother software they may have planning.

Boney

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think we will see a continuation of Other M. Just not with Team Ninja. Sakamoto will likely have to find or assemble another programming / modeling team.

Team Ninja is probably booked for the next 2 years with Dead or Alive Dimensions. Ninja Gaiden 3DS. Dead or Alive 5. Ninja Gaiden 3. And anyother software they may have planning.
Do you think it'd be another colaboration project?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Do you think it'd be another colaboration project?

Depends. Next Metroid.. from Sakamoto.. would most likely be 3DS.. and more 2D/2.5D and all inhouse. We don't even know how viable Wii will be by late 2011/2012 for core software.

Kard8p3

Shikamaru Ninja said:

I think Sakamoto said if he does another game in the style of Other M then he wants to do it with Team Ninja again. Still I expect the next game to be a 2D or 2.5D game for the 3DS.

Kard8p3

_Alkaline_ said:
Why the hell are people saying the game is too short for a Metroid game?

It's longer than all of them except for the Prime series!

They're probably comparing it to the Prime series when they talk about game length. It's definitely the longest Sakamoto Metroid game.

Kard8p3 said:
They're probably comparing it to the Prime series when they talk about game length. It's definitely the longest Sakamoto Metroid game.

Honestly, from what I've read, there's too much emphasis placed on the Prime series and not of the games that came before it. People are lamenting the lack of scanning, huge open rooms, 15-20 hour length, etc.

Even stuff like the morph ball puzzles, which were fantastic in the Prime series, have copped flak in Other M, but when comparing to all the 2D games Other M actually tops them in this regard. It's just that Sakamoto rarely uses it as a solution to environmental puzzles, whereas Retro used it all the time (particularly Echoes).

Though Other M certain branches out and takes a step in a different direction with its storytelling, I'm confused as to how this is an entirely fresh take on Metroid. For me this is more Metroid than anything we've gotten since 2004.

I adore the Prime games - particularly the genius bastard that is Echoes - but it's a much slower-paced, more methodical and exploration-based game. It totally got level progression and environmental puzzles right, but they're slow as fuck. Only Corruption came closer to resembling the speed of the 2D games and even that's worlds apart. They're just very different designs from the mainline games and Other M feels much more at home to me in terms of playing a Metroid game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'm confused as to how this is an entirely fresh take on Metroid.

In concept it isn't. It is literally Metroid Fusion in 3D. But in execution it is completely a genre busting hybrid. A very risky thing. Controversial amongst the usual rabid internet critics.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Teknoman said:
I just want a game after Fusion. Tying up loose ends is nice and all, but I want to know what happens next.

I'll lay even money that the real point of Other M
is to set up MB / Melissa as the new primary antagonist of the Metroid universe and Samus' more complex and intelligent mortal enemy. Her inactive body was obviously taken away by the Federation. That her creator Madeline survived too probably means there's going to be a triangle of intrigue / drama.

I could see MB escaping from the Feds and going on the run, settling into a pattern of setting up secret biolabs to breed Zebesian lifeforms for building an army to take down the Federation. There is great potential for MB to be a complex villain and giving a more human face to Mother Brain is not, in this case, a bad idea. A giant brain in a jar can only be used so many times as the faceless villain. On the other hand, the idea of the profoundly malevolent intelligence of a giant Space Brain residing in a demure, creepy woman with apocalyptic psionic powers? Now we're cooking with a higher quality of insanity.

Kard8p3

Kaijima said:
I'll lay even money that the real point of Other M
is to set up MB / Melissa as the new primary antagonist of the Metroid universe and Samus' more complex and intelligent mortal enemy. Her inactive body was obviously taken away by the Federation. That her creator Madeline survived too probably means there's going to be a triangle of intrigue / drama.

I could see MB escaping from the Feds and going on the run, settling into a pattern of setting up secret biolabs to breed Zebesian lifeforms for building an army to take down the Federation. There is great potential for MB to be a complex villain and giving a more human face to Mother Brain is not, in this case, a bad idea. A giant brain in a jar can only be used so many times as the faceless villain. On the other hand, the idea of the profoundly malevolent intelligence of a giant Space Brain residing in a demure, creepy woman with apocalyptic psionic powers? Now we're cooking with a higher quality of insanity.

If I recall Sakamoto did say he needed to make this game before continuing on with the story so you might be right. My guess is a few things from this will carry over into the next game (MB, corrupt federation members, perhaps unfreezable metroids.) I do wonder if we've seen the last of Ridley though. He got taken down by the queen here then got taken to the BSL only to be consumed by the X and then destroyed and absorbed by Samus. I'm not sure how Ridley could come back.

Teknoman

Well I just got to Ridley...and I have to say i'm
a bit thrown off at Samus' reaction as well. I could see if she was surprised to see him again after completely destroying him in Super Metroid...but to actually freeze up to the point where her concentration was about to drop her power suit? Thats kinda odd

If anything
Anthony should've gotten in the way, thinking it was just another normal alien monster, and then get impaled and thrown into the lava

Strange that he's more muscular looking than usual...unless that wasnt the Ridley, and just another one of his species
having seen its whole life cycle and all

EDIT: Heh didnt see that coming.

So I'm late to this but I've put about 2 hours into it so far ....I'm not digging the controls. I'm sorry, I really wanted to believe =(

Teknoman

AgentOtaku said:
So I'm late to this but I've put about 2 hours into it so far ....I'm not digging the controls. I'm sorry, I really wanted to believe =(

Takes a little getting used to, but once you do, you can maneuver perfectly.

Boney

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
It's happened to the best of us. It's a shame really, because if they click, they're awesome.

YagizY

Boney said:
It's happened to the best of us. It's a shame really, because if they click, they're awesome.

Hyperbole. They go from crappy to manageable. I don't recall this game ever having "awesome" controls.

Top Bottom