• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Kard8p3

Teknoman said:
Well I just got to Ridley...and I have to say i'm
a bit thrown off at Samus' reaction as well. I could see if she was surprised to see him again after completely destroying him in Super Metroid...but to actually freeze up to the point where her concentration was about to drop her power suit? Thats kinda odd

If anything
Anthony should've gotten in the way, thinking it was just another normal alien monster, and then get impaled and thrown into the lava

Strange that he's more muscular looking than usual...unless that wasnt the Ridley, and just another one of his species
having seen its whole life cycle and all

EDIT: Heh didnt see that coming.

her reaction is a nod to the manga where she has a PTSD due to Ridley killing her parents. Her reaction is to ridley in the manga is much more dramatic. Still without releasing the manga here most wont get why she reacts that when she sees ridley.

I think I'm trying to give them more credit than they deserve. Like say, me trying to time dodges right when you can easily just spam the direction and it counts. Really undermines the whole system honestly and just makes me apathetic towards the combat (too much Bayonetta I guess).
Also:

Classic Controller Pro Dpad >>> Classic Controller Dpad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wiimote Dpad =/

I'm gonna try and stick with it though

Boney

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
I think I'm trying to give them more credit than they deserve. Example of trying to time dodges right when you can easily just spam the direction and it counts. Really undermines the whole system honestly and just makes me apathetic to the combat (too much Bayonetta I guess).
Also:

Classic Controller Pro Dpad >>> Classic Controller Dpad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wiimote Dpad =/

I'm gonna try and stick with it though
It was designed with people that have no experience with action games in mind. When you beat it, try hard mode :)

Teknoman

Kard8p3 said:
her reaction is a nod to the manga where she has a PTSD due to Ridley killing her parents. Her reaction is to ridley in the manga is much more dramatic. Still without releasing the manga here most wont get why she reacts that when she sees ridley.

I mean I get it, I guess its just odd not seeing her have a reaction at least in Super Metroid (like the rest animation she does when getting zapped by Mother Brain) or the Prime series (she looks surprised but not to that extent). Then again she does sorta freeze up in Corruption.

EDIT: The guy who did the real music sections of the game did a great job...just would've been nice if there was a higher balance of theme over ambiance.

YagizY

Boney said:
stop lying guys.

Whatever, I personally think anyone has to be kidding themselves if they think the Wiimote D-pad was the best way to make this game. I'm enjoying the game but they should've just used the nunchuk. Wouldn't have to flip around the controller that way either probably.

Boney

Banned
Teknoman said:
I mean I get it, I guess its just odd not seeing her have a reaction at least in Super Metroid (like the rest animation she does when getting zapped by Mother Brain) or the Prime series (she looks surprised but not to that extent). Then again she does sorta freeze up in Corruption.

EDIT: The guy who did the real music sections of the game did a great job...just would've been nice if there was a higher balance of theme over ambiance.
From what I can tell, is that we have to throw out the window all the info we've gathered from studying videogame literature like our good friend etiolate and realize that they've molded Samus from the top with Fusion the Manga and now this. Can definately see why some people would not like it.

EDIT: Look, I'm all for alternate control schemes to satisfy as much people as possible, but I don't appreciate the sentiment there pal. With the way the game is designed, I never once wished for analog control (well except for the over the shoulder parts) and makes the sense move easier. I also happen to prefer the Wii remote d-pad to classic one, feels more clicky to me.

Think man.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
YagizY said:
Whatever, I personally think anyone has to be kidding themselves if they think the Wiimote D-pad was the best way to make this game. I'm enjoying the game but they should've just used the nunchuk. Wouldn't have to flip around the controller that way either probably.

I had been looking forward to Other M but questioned the decision to use the d-pad right up until the moment I played it. It seemed to me like an blatantly incorrect design decision that would have no hope of working.

In the end I only had trouble with the size of the d-pad, and the over-the-should segments. I genuinely feel that the game itself, as in the way Samus moves around the environment and the level design, was designed specifically around the limitations of d-pad control, so much so that I dont feel that analogue control would really add all that much (except for the over-the-shoulder sections, which really are a prime example of shitty 3D d-pad controls).

Mael

Kaijima said:
I'll lay even money that the real point of Other M
is to set up MB / Melissa as the new primary antagonist of the Metroid universe and Samus' more complex and intelligent mortal enemy. Her inactive body was obviously taken away by the Federation. That her creator Madeline survived too probably means there's going to be a triangle of intrigue / drama.

I could see MB escaping from the Feds and going on the run, settling into a pattern of setting up secret biolabs to breed Zebesian lifeforms for building an army to take down the Federation. There is great potential for MB to be a complex villain and giving a more human face to Mother Brain is not, in this case, a bad idea. A giant brain in a jar can only be used so many times as the faceless villain. On the other hand, the idea of the profoundly malevolent intelligence of a giant Space Brain residing in a demure, creepy woman with apocalyptic psionic powers? Now we're cooking with a higher quality of insanity.

quite frankly that's probably the best explanation for that game, otherwise it's completely pointless. It's not like we needed to know anything more to fucking Adam (which if they listened to the complaints on Fusion they would have found a way to drop the dead weight). It ties how Ridley is actually found in the BSL laboratory, which is pretty minor.
The dna samples from the infant metroid could have been from BEFORE Super Metroid when they actually got the bloody critter (heck the whole Metroid 1 begin with actually a space pirate fleet taking Metroids from a lab.....yep even that part was reused in M3).
Now is that actually a good idea....btw the whole point of the brain-in-a-jar was more the fact that it was the least active boss in the whole game, not even trying to kill you than anything. SM's Tourian is not exactly useful and heck they could have done without but since it was a remake anyway....

I'm on my hard run of the game....and yep still sucks.
the story is still the worst thing I've ever seen this side of MGS (and at least in MGS there's little neat trivia, like the whole south America background in Peace Walker). The characterisation of Samus is still pretty much botched on the level of the star wars prequel.
The Samus's ship model is actually less pleasing to the eye than the thing they did in Prime Hunter (and that thing is not exactly a looker).
The progression is shite of the highest order, I still can't get over how they basically made the navigation computer into the save station and FUCKING mandatory to boot. You're basically following a yellow dot on the screen with absolutely no room for deviation, didn't know that this was the fabled Metroid experience! Guess I'll skip Shadow Complex now...
The fighting mechanic works except like Wind's Waker there's barely any foe to use it on (at least it's not as insultingly easy as this one).
I can't even say I would have liked it better if it was not Metroid to be frank, I sure wouldn't have bought it though, so I guess mission accomplished hey :lol
What bugs me the most is that how they actually ripped anything special that was in Metroid and made it crappy generic scify fare.
The whole Galactic Federation is actually way less interesting now, I mean do we need another 'Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' meets Umbrella corporation?
The whole Adam thing....well at least he's dead now, it's too bad we didn't get to see him die in the most gruesome way. I fail to see how and why we should care for the dolt in the process of the game, we know that Samus gets to transform into some fawning damsel in distress whenever he's around but that's about it. And I finally get the whole sexist thing, it's probably because she can't lift a finger unless a man tells her too....I'm not exactly sure why that's even necessary.
I still don't get why she even accepted his command, sure wasn't for nostalgia's sake. I mean the story doesn't make it look that way outside of the incredibly stupid flashback.
And don't even get me started on the whole 'Remember me' guy, if I could I would bleach my brain to kill memory that such a clichéd mess even existed.
As for the whole blank slate vs characterisation....well all I can say is that I'm extremely happy they never gets to touch anything Mario related or we would have gotten a crappy ham-fisted story about Mario's feeling and why Bowser is in the end not such a bad guy if only we got to know him.
The only good thing I got from this game story-wise is that at least we now have an answer over whether or not Ridley is at the head of the space pirates.
Even if it's all meaningless since they're not even that much of threat anyway (thanks to the implication that they're not even that advanced anyway).
The bonus you get in this game sucks, they even botched the UI of the gallery...
Unless the game change dramatically by the end of my 2nd playthrough (and that's extremely unlikely) I'll be more than happy to cross this game and anything following its footsteps off the things I'd like to play (let alone buy).
This is even worse than the whole Wind Waker debacle, at least some part of the OST didn't suck.

And the worst part is that I wouldn't even mind that much if the music was worth something

YagizY said:
Hyperbole. They go from crappy to manageable. I don't recall this game ever having "awesome" controls.

... i do.

EDIT:
Mael said:
I'm on my hard run of the game....and yep still sucks.
after this line and a laundry list of complaints, im pretty sure you should stop playing. seriously. spare yourself. ...unless someone has a gun to your head ... oh no ... does someone have a gun to your head?

Boney

Banned
thecouncil said:
... i do.
shut your whore mouth, you like this one the best of all the metroids. You're clearly retarded.

Tenbatsu said:
I suspect that those who do not like Other M might be those who do not like PES Wii too. Correct me if I am wrong.
I like my PES traditional ;P

Mael

Tenbatsu said:
I suspect that those who do not like Other M might be those who do not like PES Wii too. Correct me if I am wrong.

o_O what makes you even begin to think that?
And for the record I really I'm beginning to hate Other M with a passion that borders on insanity and pretty much love PES Wii (the footy game with awesome control, if there's another one....my bad)

thecouncil said:
after this line and a laundry list of complaints, im pretty sure you should stop playing. seriously. spare yourself. ...unless someone has a gun to your head ... oh no ... does someone have a gun to your head?

I'm very thorough and I finish what I start, at this point I better finish it and be done with it rather than quitting halfway through and having the nagging feeling I missed something.

EatChildren said:
I had been looking forward to Other M but questioned the decision to use the d-pad right up until the moment I played it. It seemed to me like an blatantly incorrect design decision that would have no hope of working.

In the end I only had trouble with the size of the d-pad, and the over-the-should segments. I genuinely feel that the game itself, as in the way Samus moves around the environment and the level design, was designed specifically around the limitations of d-pad control, so much so that I dont feel that analogue control would really add all that much (except for the over-the-shoulder sections, which really are a prime example of shitty 3D d-pad controls).

Indeed it was really well designed AROUND the limitations of the Dpad. It works, but yeah, I can't think how much better things may have been if they just opted for a Nunchuck/Wiimote setup.
I just hate constantly having to remove the placement of my fingers/thumbs. It just feels fundamentally wrong to me ...dunno, maybe i'm just a grumpy gamer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mael said:
o_O what makes you even begin to think that?
And for the record I really I'm beginning to hate Other M with a passion that borders on insanity and pretty much love PES Wii (the footy game with awesome control, if there's another one....my bad)

With complaints like...

The bonus you get in this game sucks, they even botched the UI of the gallery...

...there's emphasis on 'insanity'.

Mael

EatChildren said:
With complaints like...

...there's emphasis on 'insanity'.

And that complaint is more about how I can't even find redeeming qualities, it's so very far from the top of my list of complaints....It's like you watch a very bad film and they even botch the way the credits roll.

EatChildren

Mael said:
And that complaint is more about how I can't even find redeeming qualities, it's so very far from the top of my list of complaints....It's like you watch a very bad film and they even botch the way the credits roll.

Yeah, but it basically means you're on a roll and irrationally hating everything about the game regardless of whether it is actually good or not.

I dont know why you're even bothing playing it a second time. It's not going to change, and you dont like it. Eject the disk, put it on eBay, and get some money back. You'll feel better about it.

Boney said:
turn on your sarcasm detector

ah. im tired. and sarcasm in type is something nearly impossible to pull off between strangers. apologies for calling you a drunk person then.

In other news, i just beat the game 100% today and i have to say running around and finding missle expansions and such was a tad boring. i think what this game has taught me is that i really kinda dont like the standard metroid formula. maybe thats why this game is my favorite one.

Boney

Banned
thecouncil said:
ah. im tired. and sarcasm in type is something nearly impossible to pull off between strangers. apologies for calling you a drunk person then.
no problemo, you did hurt my feelings though.

If anyone wants to give their game, I'm available.

Teknoman

Mael said:
This is even worse than the whole Wind Waker debacle, at least some part of the OST didn't suck.

Whoa whoa whoa....whoa. Lets not bring Wind Waker into this. That game was awesome. Not perfect, but awesome nonetheless.

t8x4sm.jpg

Boney said:
no problemo, you did hurt my feelings though.

oh my goodness. :D

wind waker is my favorite game of all time. not even kidding... haha. i think im ruining my GAF cred with all these 'favorite game' admissions.

Mael

EatChildren said:
Yeah, but it basically means you're on a roll and irrationally hating everything about the game regardless of whether it is actually good or not.

I dont know why you're even bothering playing it a second time. It's not going to change, and you dont like it. Eject the disk, put it on eBay, and get some money back. You'll feel better about it.

Yeah....no, that would be a better description on how I feel about FFVII and I actually bought the thing off the Psn version just to see if there was actually a problem with me or not (turns out the translation still sucks :lol).
As a rule I don't sell my games unless they really suck on the level of the worst shovelware (that and to pay for Galaxy 2....want my games back actually).
I started that game and by god I'll finish it.
And the thing is the game is not exactly bad, if it was bad I would actually find some use for it.
It's just highly offensive, something like the sequel to "Les Misérables" done by some hack of a writer not 10 years back or the Disney version of Notre Dame de Paris (really shitty movie btw). It's not actually THAT bad it just pisses on everything we loved about the original.
So no I don't hate it because it's bad, I hate it because it's insulting and actually pisses on things I like. Kinda like Star wars really, except I don't really care about Lucas's magnum opus.

Teknoman said:
Whoa whoa whoa....whoa. Lets not bring Wind Waker into this. That game was awesome. Not perfect, but awesome nonetheless.

t8x4sm.jpg
And you just posted the redeeming qualities of the game WITH one big problem it had (not even the biggest though) :lol
but yeah let's not bring it into it.
(and yes I actually quoted the image, it IS awesome after all)

Boney

Banned
Does this mean that after Metroid 6 releases, everyone will love this one?

(runs before EmCee comes in and ciber bullies me)

Mael

Boney said:
Does this mean that after Metroid 6 releases, everyone will love this one?

(runs before EmCee comes in and ciber bullies me)

If that's directed to me.....HELL NO.
I didn't like WW when it was released it still don't like it that much,
I loved TP when it was released I still like it.
Actually the only Zelda I'm not a fan of are : Minish Cap and WW.
Been that way when I played it first time, still that way

Boney

Banned
It wasn't directed at anybody, but fuck man you don't like the MC either? You hurt my soul.

Will be eager to see your reactions in the SS thread because, guess who's directing?

Mael

Boney said:
It wasn't directed at anybody, but fuck man you don't like the MC either? You hurt my soul.

Will be eager to see your reactions in the SS thread because, guess who's directing?

Hey as long as they don't make it as mind numbingly boring and easy I'll be good with it, heck I loved the Oracle games (I'm more disappointed in tMC than actually upset over it, WW is the real bad apple though and that one was followed by 2 good games so).

I'm more on a wait&see approach on that one, still not sure how they'll incorporate elements of monster hunter in it...

JohngPR said:
Not sure if pausing counts towards you play time, but if so, then a lot of that extra time was that. LOL

My playtimes are generally longer than other people's anyway because I like to explore. :D
Yeah, the time recording mechanic is quite weird in this game. I think my final time was in the 12-14 hours range for 100%, but the Wii Menu recorded me playing for about 19 hours (via the Homebrew channel). I don't think the in-game time records cut scenes and map reading time.

Also, just want to put it out there that I think the VA is just fine (especially Samus, who I really dig) ...now the script, that's debatable =P

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I'm having some problems, could someone please help? Ok so I have
the wave beam and I've been told to return to sector 3. So I get to the main area and take the sector 3 elevator. But when I get there the door to the right is closed and won't open. There doesn't seem to be a way through the lava areas so what do I do?

Thanks

Just finished the game (57% item completion) LOVED IT! :D

The decision to stick with Wiimote only was a resounding success :D The controls were flawless (I like how they exploited the way the auto lock on works in certain circumstances as well like
in that room where you have two hives on either side and you have to destroy them while enemies keep coming out, making it purposely difficult to hit the target!)

The authorisation system didn't feel as restrictive as I thought it would be and actually worked quite well as you don't expect items to be given to you (except when Anthony is being attacked and you need the grappling beam, that was pretty obvious) so they come as a nice surprise.

I also liked the fact that not all of the power ups were authorised by Adam, like the Seeker Missiles, (bu bu but I thought that Sakamoto didn't want to acknowledge Metroid Prime?! :D) made them feel that much more like a surprise when you got them :D

I do wish that it felt a bit less linear but that's not really as much of a complaint as it is an observation, as I like the Metroid Fusion style of exploration (plus you are given free reign at the end to search for items as you so desire)

The only real complaint that I have is that the music is disappointingly unremarkable (save for the title screen music and that awesome Ridley music remix! :D)

So in summary, it's awesome (and deserves its place amongst the rest of the Metroid series) and those anti Nintendo fuckers at IGN are completely wrong about the controls.

My opinions on the story can be read in the spoilers thread (in short, I enjoyed very much so. Oh and also
BEST POST CREDITS ENDING EVER!!! Phantoon was such an awesome surprise :D

Also I've heard about what you get at the end for 100% completion and it sounds freaking awesome :D
It's just like the Metroid Fusion 1% challenge all over again!

So yeah, the media's complaints about the game are mostly unfounded (big surprise...)

wackojackosnose said:
Yeah, the time recording mechanic is quite weird in this game. I think my final time was in the 12-14 hours range for 100%, but the Wii Menu recorded me playing for about 19 hours (via the Homebrew channel). I don't think the in-game time records cut scenes and map reading time.

It does not, the same as Fusion did.
It only records the time were you are in control of Samus (so menus dont count and cutscenes neither)

I remember etiolate saying some shit like this game was 12 hours for some people because they were too much time in menu and because of the cutscenes, and that Super Metroid, a game you can beat in 4-5 hours the first time you play it, was longer.
He cant even get his facts straight.

robor

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Core planning team. Sakamoto and Hosokawa. There are like 4 other artists from Nintendo involved, and some other coordinators etc. But the core Metroid planning team was there. That's the point.

What about Ryuichi Nakada and Masani Ueda? They're not a part of the core team?

Wizpig

Nuclear Muffin said:
Just finished the game (57% item completion) LOVED IT! :D

The decision to stick with Wiimote only was a resounding success :D The controls were flawless (I like how they exploited the way the auto lock on works in certain circumstances as well like
in that room where you have two hives on either side and you have to destroy them while enemies keep coming out, making it purposely difficult to hit the target!)
Dude, that's not some stroke of genius, that's faulty gameplay.

I'm happy for you guys if you like the game this much, but this is starting to sound like you want to redeem every aspect of the game.
So yeah, the media's complaints about the game are mostly unfounded (big surprise...)
Not really.
Probably one of the first times they review a Nintendo game and the negative stuff they say isn't completely unfounded.

Of course, i'm talking about the reviews I read ;)

LowParry

Ya know, of all the Metroids, why can't we have a space level shooter? Like what we've seen in Halo Reach? Just a small section of the game where we can use her ship. Just once. :(

one_kill

I just finished the game and I would give it an 8.5/10. I really enjoyed it, though I did find some parts frustrating. I especially dislike the fight against
MB
. I died a few times before figuring out what you needed to do.

Will 100% another time :D

Wizpig

_Alkaline_ said:
Game is good Wizpig. You know it to be true.
It is, it's just that it isn't Nintendo's (usual) quality.
I usually hate reviews' numbers, but to give an idea, i would say this is a 7/10 game.

I'm off to play, i'm trying to get 100% but there's one point i absolutely have no idea how to get, it should be in Sector 1, and there's a power-up near a morphball tunnel; this tunnel also develops vertically, but it seems that you can't go up again once you fall down it...

Wizpig said:
Dude, that's not some stroke of genius, that's faulty gameplay.

I'm happy for you guys if you like the game this much, but this is starting to sound like you want to redeem every aspect of the game.Not really.
Probably one of the first times they review a Nintendo game and the negative stuff they say isn't completely unfounded.

Of course, i'm talking about the reviews I read ;)

It's not faulty gameplay if the game is built around its limitations (as described in my example, but the same concept can be seen in certain enemy encounters like those where you have to dodge and strike with a missile. The way in which you have to get a bit of space between you and your foe is really cleverly done and the little bullet time esc slowmo effect you get when you move into first person really adds to the experience and sense of flow)

That's not bad design, it's actually very good design.

Why does it seem like every other room is a boss fight?

How many tree dudes do I have to face? Why do "common" enemies take upwards of 5 minutes to defeat?

The actual "metroid" parts are amazing. When I'm platforming and killing random 1 shot enemies it feels right. When I got speed booster there was a big smile on my face. I don't see anything wrong with the story, and the voice acting works alright.

It's when the game tries to be a point and click adventure with the "let's force first person until you find the black speck that blends with the background!" that really, really, bother me. It destroys the flow of the game in a game that moves otherwise very fluid.

Also, some of the dialog is totally not needed. When I ran into the breeding room and saw the dead body, I didn't need samus to go "a dead body!" It would have been better to just see the body. I know it's dead.

But it's not a bad game at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm having lots of fun. But it does have some odd design choices.

Top Bottom