• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, but really the only way to
cause that much damage was him personally going in? It just rings hollow to me
My guess is that
since a baby was already out and roaming, they could've easily started to get out of Sector 0. They needed to act fast, if they got out, bye bye Samus and bye bye Galactic Federation (whatever that means).

JimboJones

Finally got around to buying it, really liking it so far, cinematics seem fine to me, just standerd videogame stuff seen alot worse. Guess metroid fans are more sensitive or have higher standerds to this kind of story telling or just plain don't like it? *shrug*.
One thing i do hate is the pointer sections looking for some obscure object, more visual cues in this area would have been nice also the over the shoulder sections while i don't mind in small amounts just feel really unecessary when streatched out.
Other than those negatives i'm liking the faster paced combat, feels really gratifying killing enemies.

I'm still trying to shoot doors to open them 4 hours in.

RagnarokX

PounchEnvy said:
I don't agree with that at all. I think the implication was that
the Baby had the necessary genetics to develop into a Metroid Queen. The GF did not know of this and one of their specimens also developed into a Metroid Queen. The GF kept it in a seperate room to keep it as a controlled specimen and to protect themselves.

All MB was to the Metroids was a controller.
No.
They kept a metroid as a control specimen. Control has a different meaning in scientific experimentation. For example, if you want to test if a new pill really fights the illness it is supposed to, you can set up a control group that receives a placebo and a treatment group that receives the medicine. If the treatment group has significantly better results than the control group, you know the pill actually works. For the control metroid, that means they didn't manipulate its genes. They kept it as a control so that they could see if their experiments on other metroids were working. It became a queen after that.

I agree that the implication is that the infant metroid Samus kept was an infant queen.

Duderz

Banned
I just finished the game myself, and my immediate reaction is that this is probably the worst video game story I've seen since Final Fantasy VIII. Thank god the game got good after a few hours of it being very cumbersome - only towards the middle and end did it feel like a Metroid game, but to have to put up with a story as bad as this is just terrible.

Ericescobar15

Neo Member
I actually really like Other M's artistry, when it comes to the ship itself. The organic rooms are not as refined and just pale in comparison to the Prime games, but man do I love me some neon list corridors. That's where Other M shines, when it embraces the fact that the game takes place on a ship, not on a planet.

In some sense, it's expected that the organic areas (the biosphere, etc) won't look like Tallon IV, because presumably, the scientists aren't artists trying to make things look pretty. They built a ship that is easy to navigate. I just really love that room leading up to Sector 0.

Okay, from now on Sector 0 will be known as Sector BlueBalls.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
it feel like a Metroid game, but to have to put up with a story as bad as this is just terrible.

The story is hardly a prevalent constant in the game. This isn't Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy XIII where there are loong stretches of story. I'm replaying the game, and I don't understand how anyone can claim that putting up "with a drab story" was such a mission. I like the story. It serves its purpose for a video game.

Duderz

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
The story is hardly a prevalent constant in the game. This isn't Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy XIII where there are loong stretches of story. I'm replaying the game, and I don't understand how anyone can claim that putting up "with a drab story" was such a mission. I like the story. It serves its purpose for a video game.

I would say that in this game, "putting up with the story" means the first few hours of the game and the last hour or so until completion. It's in the middle when the game shines, when the 1st person "Where's Waldo" moments cease, when dialogue is kept to a minimum, and, when there is story, it's actually some pretty intriguing stuff i.e.
the Space Pirates being rebuilt or the traitor in your midst.

At the end though, it becomes so overwrought that I just wanted the game to end. Any revelation about the
Queen Metroid or Ridley
in the game was quickly evaporated by these horrible characters.

I haven't played the
epilogue
yet, and I hear that's really good, but as it is, this is probably the least interesting Metroid in quite some time. Having said that, I'm glad we got this instead of Prime 4, but if this is the direction Metroid is taking, I'm much more apprehensive than before. (Assuming they make another one!)

DeathbyVolcano said:
Just beat it. Really dug it! Especially those last few hours where you feel like a complete badass.

Best part of the game for sure. That's when everything clicked for me, and I didn't feel like I was fighting with the controls any longer.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MadOdorMachine said:
The Metroids that the Queen bore were immediately adults? I don't think they mature quick.

The point is, she wasn't giving birth to Metroids then. Metroids aren't born live, they're hatched from eggs the queen lays. The room she came from was riddled with hatched eggs. The Metroids you FIGHT come out of her back. I don't know what the hell they were doing there, to be fair, but they weren't being born. The art gallery shows her with adult metroids just kind of latched on her back, maybe they were just chillin in there. But anyway, given the size of them, they were pretty clearly adult.

pulga said:
Beat the game 100% last night, and for the love of god don't know how people had problems with the Waldo segments. You usually had a clue to what you were supposed to be looking for, thus never spent more than 30 secs. on them.

yeah. this is what im saying. i could only assume the people who complained hated watching the cut scenes prior to those moments. they basically showed or talked about what you should be looking at every time.

Tathanen said:
But anyway, given the size of them, they were pretty clearly adult.

well, what was with the size of the baby metroid that saved samus from mother brain in the cut scene at the beginning?... in fit over samus' whole body, practically... i would say THAT was an adult metroid.

The more you play this game, the better it gets. I seriously am starting to love the "just wii remote" controls. It just feels like a simpler retro game at heart with some modern mechanics on top.

However, there is one mechanic that just feels like a borderline bug of sorts. If you die, they put you close to where you left off, however you will have to retrace your steps to get any powerups you recently obtained. What!? That almost seems like a bug that slipped by QA. Either that or some really screwy design decisions going on there.

No matter how good the game gets though, the sound is still the biggest downside. It's easily the weakest factor of the game. Thankfully the rest of the game is fresh enough that it doesn't drag it down so far as to be distracting.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
thecouncil said:
yeah. this is what im saying. i could only assume the people who complained hated watching the cut scenes prior to those moments. they basically showed or talked about what you should be looking at every time.
The one blatant exception here was the green goo blood in the Biodome. But on the flipside, i really enjoyed near the end walking around and looking through the windows in that one room. Or rather, I should say, I enjoyed figuring out that that was what I was supposed to do. The game would have been great with more investigation like that.

Boney

Banned
JasoNsider said:
However, there is one mechanic that just feels like a borderline bug of sorts. If you die, they put you close to where you left off, however you will have to retrace your steps to get any powerups you recently obtained. What!? That almost seems like a bug that slipped by QA. Either that or some really screwy design decisions going on there.
Oh wow that sucks.

Hard mode is nice change. I don't mind having the single health bar because I'm a dodging beast, but I do miss the quick charge sometimes - regardless of being able to activate it through dodging.

I definitely feel like a better, more efficient killer this time around. You sort of have to get the job done as quickly as possible so that you don't lose health. I found I would just toy with the enemies on normal.

I'm just after getting to sector 3, 1:36 on the clock. What's the quickest time that you guys have got?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the only important takeaway Other M offers the industry is

offer a skip button.

always.

damn.

OMG Aero

thecouncil said:
well, what was with the size of the baby metroid that saved samus from mother brain in the cut scene at the beginning?... in fit over samus' whole body, practically... i would say THAT was an adult metroid.
At the end of Super Metroid, the baby Metroid had grown into a Super Metroid, it wasn't a baby any more.

Kard8p3

Rez said:
the only important takeaway Other M offers the industry is

offer a skip button.

always.

damn.

Yeah you should definitely have the ability to skip cutscenes on the first playthrough. It didn't bother me because I never skip anything on a first playthrough but the option still should have been there for the people that wanted it.

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah you should definitely have the ability to skip cutscenes on the first playthrough. It didn't bother me because I never skip anything on a first playthrough but the option still should have been there for the people that wanted it.

The fact that you use 'first playthrough' suggests you do but.. You guys know you can skip the cutscenes second time around, right?

Boney said:
I'm so importing this shit.

I'd be tempted if I could play it on a PAL system and it wasn't £50 on P-A.. =/

That box art.. Oh my.

hatchx

Banned
It must be said:

The forced first-person sections where you must find, fairly accurately, what the story intends Samus to find...are some of the stupidest gameplay designs I've seen. I was stuck at two of them during the game for 10-15 minutes.

Green blood on green grass? Gees. Who let these get into the game?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
OMG Aero said:
At the end of Super Metroid, the baby Metroid had grown into a Super Metroid, it wasn't a baby any more.

And in fact,
the reason the baby-then-adult metroid in that scene was so much hugely larger than normal adult metroids, which had never really been explained, might have an answer now. It's probably because it was a baby queen. Presumably it implies that metroids with queen-potential have much larger intermediate phases.

hatchx said:
It must be said:

The forced first-person sections where you must find, fairly accurately, what the story intends Samus to find...are some of the stupidest gameplay designs I've seen. I was stuck at two of them during the game for 10-15 minutes.

Just got to that point.

Totally agree.

WTF.

Boney

Banned
Man Samus sounds great there. The pauses, the voices, the monologues. Treehouse I am disapoint.

The best part was, Adamo Malcovichu

Kard8p3

hatchx said:
It must be said:

The green blood and one other were pretty horrible. Besides that though all the rest either gave hints as to what you need to look at or were just obvious.

Kard8p3 said:
The green blood and one other were pretty horrible. Besides that though all the rest either gave hints as to what you need to look at or were just obvious.
Bizarrely, the green blood was one of the quickest ones for me. Have no idea why.

Kard8p3

LSauchelli said:
Who else here think Anthony kicks ass and should be present in future Metroid games?

Yep he should definitely come back and like someone said awhile back this game needs an anthony higgs mode.

Kard8p3

Boney said:
I'd love an Anthony mode in this one, but I would't want him to return unless it's Other M 2.

Well Fusion is pretty much Other M 2. I'd have no problem with him showing up in Metroid 5.

First of all, just completed this. I love metroid with a sexual passion.. But this game has to be the worst metroid game I've played ( ignoring the shitfest that is hunters)...

pulga said:
Beat the game 100% last night, and for the love of god don't know how people had problems with the Waldo segments. You usually had a clue to what you were supposed to be looking for, thus never spent more than 30 secs. on them.

I only once had trouble finding the right spot and moving on, so I see where you're coming from. However, that one time, I looked at the right thing immediately, but I apparently didn't hold the cursor there long enough. So then I never looked at that spot again until I'd become so desperate I was slowly sweeping the entire area with the cursor, and it locked on. I expect that might be the problem for some people; they're searching too fast and dismissing the right thing when it doesn't work quickly.

Also, I think many people have more of a problem with how stupid those sections are than how well they work.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Tathanen said:
And in fact,
the reason the baby-then-adult metroid in that scene was so much hugely larger than normal adult metroids, which had never really been explained, might have an answer now. It's probably because it was a baby queen. Presumably it implies that metroids with queen-potential have much larger intermediate phases.
If that were the case, then every baby would be a queen. Watch the video again. You'll see that Samus says they were conducting genetic manipulations (GM) on Metroids and that a queen has a special genetic code. She says the first Metroid to mature was kept it as a control specimen and that it's genetic code was left unaltered. The reason the kept it was because it was the first successful GM Metroid they had. They wanted to study it and find out why that one was a success. She said that no one would have known it would grow up to be a queen.

She then later says that MB made a queen with the aid of the Space Pirates in Sector Zero. In other words, the GM was being conducted telepathically by MB via the Space Pirates. Humans couldn't enter in Sector Zero because it was too dangerous. So you see, MB knew all along it was a queen and didn't tell anyone. The whole thing about it being the first to mature was just a smoke screen MB used to convince the other scientists to keep the Queen in a separate location. From there, MB could exert her influence over the Queen as a means to control the Metroids. By the time anyone found out about it, they realized what a threat MB could potentially be and tried to pull the plug which back fired and caused to declare all out war on the GF with the Space Pirates and Metroids.

LSauchelli said:
Who else here think Anthony kicks ass and should be present in future Metroid games?

I love Anthony.

I was half expecting to play as him briefly during
the fight with Ridley where Samus gets knocked down for a bit. That would have been epic.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
The_Technomancer said:
As much as I love the Prime games, I think that the three were enough. Any more and I think that formula/style would get stale and redundant.
Yeah it's probably for the best that they stopped at 3, but I just love the gameplay of Prime games. It's just so great to me... I love the scanning and the first person view and the smooth mechanics. Bleh but I'm someone who can play every single Pokemon or Call of Duty or whatever long running franchise and still love them even if most of their iterations are basically the same thing.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MadOdorMachine said:
If that were the case, then every baby would be a queen. Watch the video again. You'll see that Samus says they were conducting genetic manipulations (GM) on Metroids and that a queen has a special genetic code. She says the first Metroid to mature was kept it as a control specimen and that it's genetic code was left unaltered. The reason the kept it was because it was the first successful GM Metroid they had. They wanted to study it and find out why that one was a success. She said that no one would have known it would grow up to be a queen.

She then later says that MB made a queen with the aid of the Space Pirates in Sector Zero. In other words, the GM was being conducted telepathically by MB via the Space Pirates. Humans couldn't enter in Sector Zero because it was too dangerous. So you see, MB knew all along it was a queen and didn't tell anyone. The whole thing about it being the first to mature was just a smoke screen MB used to convince the other scientists to keep the Queen in a separate location. From there, MB could exert her influence over the Queen as a means to control the Metroids. By the time anyone found out about it, they realized what a threat MB could potentially be and tried to pull the plug which back fired and caused to declare all out war on the GF with the Space Pirates and Metroids.

Well, let's go to the script.

Metroid group 1: "They [the researchers] found the perfect means of control and started propagating Metroids in Sector Zero."

Metroid group 2: "At the same time, they were conducting genetic-manipulation experiments to create unfreezable Metroids."

The queen: "Apparently the queen I met earlier was the first of these propagated Metroids to mature."

Note the dual references to "propagate." Bad scripting on their part with the order of these sentences, but they are referring to group 1 here with the queen, not group 2. The queen was not a GM Metroid. It was a propagated normal Metroid, a clone of the baby, left as a control. At the same time, in a parallel project, they were producing GM (unfreezable) Metroids.

"The fact that she'd grow into a queen was something not even Madeline and her team could have predicted. Only special infants had the genetic coding to become queens."

They couldn't have predicted it because, as Samus notes, only special infants can become queens. Just like with bees. This isn't because MB manipulated it into becoming a queen, no one has the ability to just force a Metroid to evolve into a queen. It became a queen because the infant natively had that ability, the specific infant that Samus took from SR-388 had queen-potential. Thus, its direct clones also had that ability. Presumably, if left to further mature, all other direct clones would eventually become queens. They just hadn't matured yet.

This is all information that the real Madeline has just told her, and Samus is re-dictating for us. There are no lies in it.

"With the space pirates under her control, she was able to propagate the Metroids in Sector Zero, even creating a Queen Metroid."

This is a description of what MB started to do once she took over the station. Once she took control of the pirates, killed all the people, and started to set her sights on the Federation. This is all LONG after the previous events as told by Madeline, where the first Queen was bred by the researchers. "With the space pirates under her control, she was able to do these things."

The crux of your whole theory relies on a different interpretation of this last line, that Samus is saying MB propagated the Metroids and the Queen earlier. The way the sentence is structured, though, it's implying that she was able to do these specific things as a result of the previous scene, which was her taking direct control of the pirates and killing everyone in the station. You are suggesting a sinister motive from MB from the very beginning, rather than an explosive one that occurred as a result of this event.

In reality, I am pretty sure that the control Queen Metroid was well on its way to maturity, if not fully matured, before MB was in any condition to start doing evil things. "Before long, we started to see the viability of creating Metroid clones. Once we did, MB started to take on her current shape." There's never any implication that MB was actively working against the research team before she was dragged away. She started to disagree with them sure, but even at that point the Queen was likely already long-matured.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Tathanen said:
Well, let's go to the script.

Metroid group 1: "They [the researchers] found the perfect means of control and started propagating Metroids in Sector Zero."

Metroid group 2: "At the same time, they were conducting genetic-manipulation experiments to create unfreezable Metroids."

The queen: "Apparently the queen I met earlier was the first of these propagated Metroids to mature."

Note the dual references to "propagate." Bad scripting on their part with the order of these sentences, but they are referring to group 1 here with the queen, not group 2. The queen was not a GM Metroid. It was a propagated normal Metroid, a clone of the baby, left as a control. At the same time, in a parallel project, they were producing GM (unfreezable) Metroids.

"The fact that she'd grow into a queen was something not even Madeline and her team could have predicted. Only special infants had the genetic coding to become queens."

They couldn't have predicted it because, as Samus notes, only special infants can become queens. Just like with bees. This isn't because MB manipulated it into becoming a queen, no one has the ability to just force a Metroid to evolve into a queen. It became a queen because the infant natively had that ability, the specific infant that Samus took from SR-388 had queen-potential. Thus, its direct clones also had that ability. Presumably, if left to further mature, all other direct clones would eventually become queens. They just hadn't matured yet.

This is all information that the real Madeline has just told her, and Samus is re-dictating for us. There are no lies in it.

"With the space pirates under her control, she was able to propagate the Metroids in Sector Zero, even creating a Queen Metroid."

This is a description of what MB started to do once she took over the station. Once she took control of the pirates, killed all the people, and started to set her sights on the Federation. This is all LONG after the previous events as told by Madeline, where the first Queen was bred by the researchers. "With the space pirates under her control, she was able to do these things."

The crux of your whole theory relies on a different interpretation of this last line, that Samus is saying MB propagated the Metroids and the Queen earlier. The way the sentence is structured, though, it's implying that she was able to do these specific things as a result of the previous scene, which was her taking direct control of the pirates and killing everyone in the station. You are suggesting a sinister motive from MB from the very beginning, rather than an explosive one that occurred as a result of this event.

In reality, I am pretty sure that the control Queen Metroid was well on its way to maturity, if not fully matured, before MB was in any condition to start doing evil things. "Before long, we started to see the viability of creating Metroid clones. Once we did, MB started to take on her current shape." There's never any implication that MB was actively working against the research team before she was dragged away. She started to disagree with them sure, but even at that point the Queen was likely already long-matured.
Look at the beginning of your post and the end and you will see that they are talking about the same event.

Tathanen said:
[Metroid group 1: "They [the researchers] found the perfect means of control and started propagating Metroids in Sector Zero."

Tathanen said:
"Before long, we started to see the viability of creating Metroid clones. Once we did, MB started to take on her current shape."

Remember MB is controlling the Metroids thru a maternal bond. Now that we have established that it's the same event, we can try to make sense of what the story is implying. This will require us to read between the lines due to translation errors, but if you look at what they're trying to say it makes sense.

They were propagating Metroids. What does that mean? They were reproducing them somehow. At the same time they were conducting genetic manipulation (GM) experiments. At first I thought they were creating two groups like a lot of people. One group normal, one group GMed. That's not the case with the Queen. The reason the Queen lived is because her genes were altered. Remember, queens have a unique genetic coding. This isn't made clear until they explain that MB created the Queen. If it had been a case similar to bees, they would have said so. They don't. They say MB made her.

As far as Space Pirates go, MB still controlled them telepathically before she rebelled. At first, I thought they were two separate events too. They weren't. She just didn't use them against the GF scientists until they tried to pull the plug on her. She created the Queen Metroid because of the maternal attachment she had to the Metroids. They say somewhere that the Metroids gave her a type of soul IIRC. They had a very intense bond. It was the maternal instinct that made her want to keep the Queen closer. The GF wanted to weaponize them and then MB rebelled and used them against the GF.

PounchEnvy said:
See I knew I wasn't crazy. Just too lazy to prove my point. :p
You aren't crazy, the story just isn't as clear as it should have been.

RagnarokX

MadOdorMachine said:

The queen metroid was a control specimen and its genes were not manipulated, thus it wasn't "the first successful GM metroid". It was just a plain metroid cloned from the baby. Samus says MB began propagating the metroids in sector zero and created a queen. This doesn't mean the queen was a sector zero antifreeze metroid. The wording of the phrase is poor. The implications are that the control specimen became a queen without genetic manipulation, MB just sped up its development. This explanation also helps explain why the baby got so big in Super Metroid. The control specimen would be the only metroid on the bottleship with queen DNA. The metroids it spawned would have drone DNA, and the antifreeze metroids had their DNA altered.

Top Bottom