• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
RagnarokX said:
The queen metroid was a control specimen and its genes were not manipulated, thus it wasn't "the first successful GM metroid". It was just a plain metroid cloned from the baby. Samus says MB began propagating the metroids in sector zero and created a queen. This doesn't mean the queen was a sector zero antifreeze metroid. The wording of the phrase is poor. The implications are that the control specimen became a queen without genetic manipulation, MB just sped up its development. This explanation also helps explain why the baby got so big in Super Metroid. The control specimen would be the only metroid on the bottleship with queen DNA. The metroids it spawned would have drone DNA, and the antifreeze metroids had their DNA altered.
The first thing they say is that they were propagating and GMing Metroids. It wasn't made a control specimen until it lived longer than the other ones. If there were two groups, why weren't they separated from the beginning? Then they say it was left unaltered and that she had "special genetic coding." Later on they explain that MB "created" her. Like I said, you have to read between the lines because it isn't clear, but that's what they're implying.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MadOdorMachine said:
That's not the case with the Queen. The reason the Queen lived is because her genes were altered. Remember, queens have a unique genetic coding. This isn't made clear until they explain that MB created the Queen. If it had been a case similar to bees, they would have said so. They don't. They say MB made her.

Again,
"The fact that she'd grow into a queen was something not even Madeline and her team could have predicted. Only special infants had the genetic coding to become queens." This is saying explicitly the following:

Q: Why could they have not predicted that it would grow into a queen?
A: Because only special infants have the necessarily genetic coding.

This is not saying "MB made it happen." This is exactly indicating that it's a similar-to-bees case. MB making a second queen later was trivial, since it was revealed that the infant in question was a special infant, and its clones (not children) naturally all had this ability.

Goodness, this game doesn't require that much discussion regarding its story, does it?
Shit was cloned, shit was destroyed. Mother Brain was a chick. the end

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Tathanen said:
Again,
"The fact that she'd grow into a queen was something not even Madeline and her team could have predicted. Only special infants had the genetic coding to become queens." This is saying explicitly the following:

Q: Why could they have not predicted that it would grow into a queen?
A: Because only special infants have the necessarily genetic coding.

This is not saying "MB made it happen." This is exactly indicating that it's a similar-to-bees case. MB making a second queen later was trivial, since it was revealed that the infant in question was a special infant, and its clones (not children) naturally all had this ability.
I give up. The story is a mess and unclear to understand what the heck is going on.

If the Metroid that became the Queen was unaltered, this means two things.
1. Since it was created from the original baby DNA from Super Metroid, then all the clones would be queens. That's because the Baby had the special genes required.
2. There would be no need for MB to create another queen.

Notice it says Madeline and her team wouldn't know it was a queen, not MB.

The story is full of holes. This is why I'd rate it a 7/10. Sakamoto fails.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Goodness, this game doesn't require that much discussion regarding its story, does it?
Shit was cloned, shit was destroyed. Mother Brain was a chick. the end
We're hardcore man! In all seriousness, this is the most I've been interested in a game in a long, long time.

Mak

Tathanen said:
And in fact,
the reason the baby-then-adult metroid in that scene was so much hugely larger than normal adult metroids, which had never really been explained, might have an answer now. It's probably because it was a baby queen. Presumably it implies that metroids with queen-potential have much larger intermediate phases.

The Nintendo Power Super Metroid comic
had one of the characters suggest that the hatchling was exposed to massive levels of beta rays (though the comic was very rushed at the end.) Beta rays cause a Metroid to multiply while a queen is a natural way of reproducing them, so I thought after Ridley had grabbed the hatchling they made Metroids as fast as they could off of the baby. I wonder how Mochtroids play into that...

The baby growing large to become a queen makes sense though with the info from Other M and when you think about Metroid Fusion and the giant Super Metroid size shell the Omega Metroid leaves behind supposedly going straight from larva to Omega.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MadOdorMachine said:
2. There would be no need for MB to create another queen.

Well presumably the idea is that a second queen would indeed be of the ice-proof variety. This first one was the control maintained by the staff, and once MB takes the whole place over, she matures one of the ice-proof strain into a queen, so it can give birth to a whole new strain of ice-proof Metroids that aren't clones. Or maybe just because she wanted an ice-proof queen cause of how strong it is in general, and it'd make a good addition to her army. They don't indicate any intentions, merely say that she made one, along with the other Metroids she made in Sector Zero once she took the place over, all of which are presumably ice-proof at this point since there's no purpose in making normal Metroids beyond the existing control group.

Though I agree, I can only be like 60% certain of any of these claims anyway, the script is very janky with all of this crap.

Mak said:
The Nintendo Power Super Metroid comic

...isn't canon. Maybe some interesting ideas, but they don't count!

The baby growing large to become a queen makes sense though with the info from Other M and when you think about Metroid Fusion and the giant Super Metroid size shell the Omega Metroid leaves behind supposedly going straight from larva to Omega.

I actually just finished playing through Fusion again not 10 minutes ago, and
while there is indeed a giant larva-looking shell at the end, there are two smaller shells in the rooms leading up to it. The Metroid indeed went through all four phases, they just look like infant shells for some reason.

sfried

Tathanen said:
...isn't canon. Maybe some interesting ideas, but they don't count!
Actually it is, as some characters who made their debut there make a reappearance in the manga. Benimaru Itoh's (SM comic artist) stuff is pretty much canon.

sfried said:
Actually it is, as some characters who made their debut there make a reappearance in the manga. Benimaru Itoh's (SM comic artist) stuff is pretty much canon.

Something can introduce characters and still not be considered canon. They could take those characters from the non-canonical story and add them to the canonical one.

I'm not saying the Nintendo Power comics are or aren't just saying that because characters introduced in it are shown in things that definitely are canonical doesn't make them so.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
sfried said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Manga took inspiration from the comic for some of its content, but the Super Metroid comic is just... it's the events of Super Metroid except with like 400 extra things that were never in the game and change up all of the events. If you say that comic is canon, it's sort of like saying the actual Super Metroid game isn't canon.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Tathanen said:
Well presumably the idea is that a second queen would indeed be of the ice-proof variety. This first one was the control maintained by the staff, and once MB takes the whole place over, she matures one of the ice-proof strain into a queen, so it can give birth to a whole new strain of ice-proof Metroids that aren't clones. Or maybe just because she wanted an ice-proof queen cause of how strong it is in general, and it'd make a good addition to her army. They don't indicate any intentions, merely say that she made one, along with the other Metroids she made in Sector Zero once she took the place over, all of which are presumably ice-proof at this point since there's no purpose in making normal Metroids beyond the existing control group.

Though I agree, I can only be like 60% certain of any of these claims anyway, the script is very janky with all of this crap.
Yes, the story is very unclear.
How could MB create a queen if all the clones were already queens?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MadOdorMachine said:
Yes, the story is very unclear.
How could MB create a queen if all the clones were already queens?

By just rapidly speeding up the development of a Metroid, rather than letting it mature at a natural pace? I mean, the clones weren't ALREADY queens, they were still all larval Metroids, they would just reach the Queen stage eventually.

legend166

The more I play this game the more impressed I am that they were able to create a fun and interesting combat system that didn't get stale for 10 hours with only 3 buttons.

More developers need to do this.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Tathanen said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Manga took inspiration from the comic for some of its content, but the Super Metroid comic is just... it's the events of Super Metroid except with like 400 extra things that were never in the game and change up all of the events. If you say that comic is canon, it's sort of like saying the actual Super Metroid game isn't canon.

Man look at me quote myself like a chump.

But uh yes, just to put this particular item to bed, here's a summary of part of this comic:

"Meanwhile, Hardy and Keaton find the Baby and, mistaking it for a clone Metroid, shoots at it. Mother Brain's body then forms and the fight ensues. Hardy and Keaton find Houston and then see Samus fighting Mother Brain. Samus overhears them and discovers the Baby. As she mourns its death, she suspects that Mother Brain killed it, and, avenging the baby, defeats Mother Brain."

Yeah so... not canon.

Red

legend166 said:
The more I play this game the more impressed I am that they were able to create a fun and interesting combat system that didn't get stale for 10 hours with only 3 buttons.

More developers need to do this.
I agree, but I think it could have used some refinement. Dodging attacks is almost too easy. It's possible just to hadouken constantly and essentially be Neo.

Tathanen said:
By just rapidly speeding up the development of a Metroid, rather than letting it mature at a natural pace? I mean, the clones weren't ALREADY queens, they were still all larval Metroids, they would just reach the Queen stage eventually.

Again as I said earlier in this thread. Let's look at science, and nature. Certain species have the ability to change and a drone can become a queen, or a male can become female and vice versa if that's what is needed. It's totally possible that due to the lack of their being a queen one of them adapts and becomes one. It could also be that the baby was going to be a queen and now every clone has that possibility. Unfortunately until Sakamoto clarifies that it's hard to say.

Also (and this isn't a reply to you Tathanen just in general) as some one mentioned earlier a control just means an unchanged one. From the start they would have been breading probably a couple control metroids. IE ones where no genetic manipulation has been done to it. Also you probably had metroids in varying degrees of "un-freezability" Since it wouldn't have been as easy as ohhh dude just put this t where this d is in their DNA and BAM we're done!"

They would need a supply of unchanged control metroids to make the comparisons with.

Sadist

Finally completed this.

So... I really liked the game, despite of some glaring flaws. First up, the old-school Metroid vibe in this game is fantastic. When rushing in a 2D-fashion through hallways shooting down enemies gives me that typical Metroid feeling. Level design helps as well, I mean several area's are just pretty damn awesome. Have to be honest, one of the sectors wasn't looking to hot in the open area (the one where Polo Loco attacked). But I was talking about the Metroid vibe here and other elements like weapons and exploration are still there. It maybe more more "streamlined" as in less backtracking, but searching for new upgrades can be difficult like in other games in the series. Weapons are as great as always. Shinespark <3

But, Other M has it's flaws. I mean, the story isn't bad because it's typical videogame nonsense, but the dialogue is flatout terrible. Samus sounds like a lifeless android at times except for a few moments and the rest of the cast... meh. In the end it's just a typical "getting inside the mind of my mentor/fatherfigure" story which is not sexist in any way. Hur hur. Other parts of the game I didn't like are the "where is Waldo" moments for reasons that are mentioned in this thread for a dozen times and my biggest complaint: the ending is pretty underwhelming. Personally, I thought the
Metroid Queen
is a cool build-up boss towards the real deal, guess I was wrong.
As soon Samus confronted the real Madeline Bergman and the whole MB situation got out of hand when the Federation troopers entered the battle, I tought I would get an awesome MB fight. But no, you'll get a "where is Waldo moment" and MB is killed off and Anthony saves the day in the end. Anti-climactic if you ask me.

Still, these flaws are overshadowed by what I like about this game. I like the added closecombat moves. Dodge move is very nifty and a lifesaver at times. I was afraid it would feel to much like a Ninja Gaiden game, but those fears were thrown outside of the window. The controls btw didn't bother me for a second in the game. In third person view controlling Samus works really well with the d-pad and the time to adjust to these type of controls was minimal. Well, in my case that is. I was really surprised by it. Also, I liked the first person controls. At a certain time I discovered it was all about timing and learned quickly. Sure, in the beginning of the game it feels awkward and with some enemies
like those Electrical hopper thingies and of course the Metroids during the Metroid Queen fight
it's a total bitch. Still, it got very familiar at a certain point.

So, in the end there are several things I do like and things I don't like about Other M, but it was a fun little experiment to experience. Not the best Metroid I played, but I certainly did enjoy myself as the game continued to grow on me the more I played. Now it's item collection time! I'm at 31% :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sadist said:
Well Threi, this is the internet afterall.
Hiss. I think I put a little more effort into articulating my problems than just "lol Internet lol"

robor

Threi said:
seriously. Everyone has convinced themselves how awful the game is, but i find the game fucking awesome.

*shrug*

I've convinced myself that I'm a fool. :lol

Just wanted to point out that my analysis on the level designs are off, they're done extremely well, I just forgot to realize that the essence of those designs from the 2D Metroids are actually there. Some areas are still a bit of a downer for sure, but for the most part, they are really great.

FPS mode in battles is another part of my analysis that is baseless. I've found that it is extremely useful and now that I know of the dodge sense (where everything transitions to a yellow color in the visor) this mechanic is quite awesome. A very good addition to the combat and I am using it so much more this time round. I love how the devs implemented this sense of tension-and-release with switching between tps and fps. It's like this fragment of time where you have this end-all be-all focus that could bring you great success or great failure. Truly astounding.

The sense move is also very good and this time I see how it's less guess work and more focal on paying attention to the enemies on screen. I still wouldn't mind some indicator of sorts through the virtual interface (kinda like the visor) but I think that would take away some of the challenge. The sense move is more dynamic than I thought as well, you can do some crazy missile/beam combo blasts on multiple enemies depending on where you dodge to. Very cool stuff.

I think the interface definitely justifies the design choices made above. The sense move in particular is something quite new that I've yet to see in any other action game. The fps mode as well is a fantastic addition (both exploratory and combative) to the Metroid formula. Would I say this is a worthy 3D Metroid game on the same level as Prime if it didn't fall short in some areas? Absolutely. You know what would be cool? Have the fps mode with the same level of scanning in the Prime games to flesh out some of the narrative. You could still have the narrative sequences, but for the more explanatory stuff, you could have it all in the scanning etc. That would be pretty bad ass I reckon.

Oh and the pacing in this game is SUPERB. I love how the game weaves you back through existing areas with your new abilities to access the sections you couldn't before. So elegant and cohesive. Truly great stuff.

For the first time, I have to say this game really threw me, I was way excited pre-release, then once I played it, I just couldn't rap my head around all the design choices in this game. I mean I don't know about you guys, but I found this game quite controversial in design and so my analysis was quite premature, it didn't sink in until afterwards and I am sorry if I offended some of you with my 5/10 score. You needn't worry about it though, I've pushed it up to 8/10. : )

*edit*

Just wanted to add that fps mode has been thoroughly conceived to be used ANYWHERE in the game. It has been accounted for no matter where you are in the game: it has an intrinsic relationship with every area/corridor. That's something to really think about when playing this game, and something to really appreciate from the devs.

Wizpig

Well, to me 5/10 makes no sense at all, and 8/10 is definitely too much, especially going from a 5/10.

I find the pacing pretty bad actually, and don't forget that the game, while in Sector 1 (first visit) seems like an old Metroid and you can explore a little... then it becomes so linear it's basically an action game.
It was linear from the beginning, but while i was in Sector 1 i started to think "wait, maybe you can explore a little every sector"... of course not, it gets more linear every time, and by the end of the game you only have one path.

The post end-game is better, but that's not saying much since it's not part of the main "quest".
LSauchelli said:
Who else here think Anthony kicks ass and should be present in future Metroid games?
Only if you guys manage to tell me while he's - apparently - so cool and interesting.

Because he's a comic relief character?

Tenbatsu

We forgive
tXnjMl.jpg

robor said:
Just wanted to add that fps mode has been thoroughly conceived to be used ANYWHERE in the game. It has been accounted for no matter where you are in the game: it has an intrinsic relationship with every area/corridor. That's something to really think about when playing this game, and something to really appreciate from the devs.

While I honestly dig the FPS mechanic, I FUCKING HATE that they didn't give an option to map the transition to an actual button or something.More often than not, it will just Kick-in when I'm holding the wiimote NES-style due to what I imagine the accelerometer or something (?), being positioned a certain way. It's so damn inelegent and ugly =(

Right. Time to extend my brief post.

This game is the worst Metroid game I've ever played.

Pros

-Visually, for the Wii, it looks pretty good.
-I enjoyed the combat system when I didn't have to go into first person mode.
-I loved the implementation of speed boosters.
-The cg cinematics were neat.

Cons

-Invisible walls. Awful design. If there's a rail, and I can't jump over it because there's an invisible wall, then it's terrible design.
-Overall design of the levels was boring and uninspired. Morph ball "puzzles" were practically non-existent.
-Awful control scheme. While it is fine when you're playing sideways, switching to first person mode is terrible. Why? Well I can only use rockets for one, and I like to use rockets on bosses. To switch to first person requires a bit of readjusting and aiming, and by the time I've done that, the boss has fucked off. Either make the game first person, or stick to 3rd person. Switching to first person should only be a button press. Hence why if they really had to implement the first person, they should have gone wiimote nunchuck. .
-"Music" during the game is very forgettable. Cinematic music is shite and generic.
-Story is melodramatic, and really, it's shit. Writing is terrible, but that's not really a surprise. Voice acting is ok, but sound terrible due to the shitty monologues and writing.
-One of the final bosses is so fucking stupid it's unreal. The one when you're in forced first person mode. Poor design.
-ALSO, all those extra characters including David Beckham are fucking shit.

I didn't expect this game to be amazing, in all honesty, but I was hoping I wouldn't be this disappointed. It's a mess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Even for a wii game I thought this was downright ugly.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dabookerman said:

Pros

Cons

-Invisible walls. Awful design. If there's a rail, and I can't jump over it because there's an invisible wall, then it's terrible design.
-Overall design of the levels was boring and uninspired. Morph ball "puzzles" were practically non-existent.
-Awful control scheme. While it is fine when you're playing sideways, switching to first person mode is terrible. Why? Well I can only use rockets for one, and I like to use rockets on bosses. To switch to first person requires a bit of readjusting and aiming, and by the time I've done that, the boss has fucked off. Either make the game first person, or stick to 3rd person. Switching to first person should only be a button press. Hence why if they really had to implement the first person, they should have gone wiimote nunchuck. .
-"Music" during the game is very forgettable. Cinematic music is shite and generic.
-Story is melodramatic, and really, it's shit. Writing is terrible, but that's not really a surprise. Voice acting is ok, but sound terrible due to the shitty monologues and writing.
-One of the final bosses is so fucking stupid it's unreal. The one when you're in forced first person mode. Poor design.

I didn't expect this game to be amazing, in all honesty, but I was hoping I wouldn't be this disappointed. It's a mess.

I'm about to finish the game and this describes my experience and thoughts perfectly. This game started out as average and has become a major disappointment. It is a mess.

robor

Wizpig said:
Well, to me 5/10 makes no sense at all, and 8/10 is definitely too much, especially going from a 5/10.

Because a large part of the gameplay didn't make sense to me at the time, which consisted of 3 points.

As for your linearity remark. What did you want to see in Other M? Exploitative gameplay seen in Super Metroid and Zero Mission?

heringer

robor said:
I've convinced myself that I'm a fool. :lol

Just wanted to point out that my analysis on the level designs are off, they're done extremely well, I just forgot to realize that the essence of those designs from the 2D Metroids are actually there. Some areas are still a bit of a downer for sure, but for the most part, they are really great.

FPS mode in battles is another part of my analysis that is baseless. I've found that it is extremely useful and now that I know of the dodge sense (where everything transitions to a yellow color in the visor) this mechanic is quite awesome. A very good addition to the combat and I am using it so much more this time round. I love how the devs implemented this sense of tension-and-release with switching between tps and fps. It's like this fragment of time where you have this end-all be-all focus that could bring you great success or great failure. Truly astounding.

The sense move is also very good and this time I see how it's less guess work and more focal on paying attention to the enemies on screen. I still wouldn't mind some indicator of sorts through the virtual interface (kinda like the visor) but I think that would take away some of the challenge. The sense move is more dynamic than I thought as well, you can do some crazy missile/beam combo blasts on multiple enemies depending on where you dodge to. Very cool stuff.

I think the interface definitely justifies the design choices made above. The sense move in particular is something quite new that I've yet to see in any other action game. The fps mode as well is a fantastic addition (both exploratory and combative) to the Metroid formula. Would I say this is a worthy 3D Metroid game on the same level as Prime if it didn't fall short in some areas? Absolutely. You know what would be cool? Have the fps mode with the same level of scanning in the Prime games to flesh out some of the narrative. You could still have the narrative sequences, but for the more explanatory stuff, you could have it all in the scanning etc. That would be pretty bad ass I reckon.

Oh and the pacing in this game is SUPERB. I love how the game weaves you back through existing areas with your new abilities to access the sections you couldn't before. So elegant and cohesive. Truly great stuff.

For the first time, I have to say this game really threw me, I was way excited pre-release, then once I played it, I just couldn't rap my head around all the design choices in this game. I mean I don't know about you guys, but I found this game quite controversial in design and so my analysis was quite premature, it didn't sink in until afterwards and I am sorry if I offended some of you with my 5/10 score. You needn't worry about it though, I've pushed it up to 8/10. : )

*edit*

Wait, what? What happened? Did you play the game again or something? I thought you hated it. :lol

Oh. ALSO. The Where's Wally segments have been mentioned, but I dunno about you guys, but I cannot stand forced slow walking segments. Especially when you can't skip them, and they last way too long!
Also cutscenes should be skippable, whether you're playing it for the first time or not.

AgentOtaku said:
While I honestly dig the FPS mechanic, I FUCKING HATE that they didn't give an option to map the transition to an actual button or something.More often than not, it will just Kick-in when I'm holding the wiimote NES-style due to what I imagine the accelerometer or something (?), being positioned a certain way. It's so damn inelegent and ugly =(
Eh, FPS mode only kicks in when the pointer is being used so it has nothing to do with the accelerometers. It seems to be a problem with your setup, i.e. there's another infrared light source somewhere in the direction where the Wiimote points at while being used in NES mode. Just point your Wiimote in that direction while in the Home menu or wherever and if the hand cursor moves then there's definitely IR interference.

IceMarker

Threi said:
seriously. Everyone has convinced themselves how awful the game is, but i find the game fucking awesome.

*shrug*
I love the game after beating it 100%, I enjoyed it during playing through and it left a good after taste in my mouth. I don't know where everyone is getting this IT SUCKS vibe from, probably just vocal minorities.

wackojackosnose said:
Eh, FPS mode only kicks in when the pointer is being used so it has nothing to do with the accelerometers. It seems to be a problem with your setup, i.e. there's another infrared light source somewhere in the direction where the Wiimote points at while being used in NES mode. Just point your Wiimote in that direction while in the Home menu or wherever and if the hand cursor moves then there's definitely IR interference.

Really?

Will definitely try this then

robor

heringer said:
Wait, what? What happened? Did you play the game again or something? I thought you hated it. :lol

Yea, I'm playing it again to get 100% and it just clicked. Call me a fool, I'll wear it. I totally get the control scheme and I know why they wanted keep with the d-pad. It's more than just accessibility but that's a another discussion for another time.

Dabookerman said:

Pros

Cons

You can use your beam in first-person.

Eric_S

Just played through it. And it was a short, nice distraction. Not a great video game by any means, but a nice distraction.

I can't say that I enjoyed the "shitty friends", the "detective mode" or that I'm partial to the boss combat that mostly consisted of spamming dodge move + charge shot. I'm not too overly fond of the overly linear levels coupled with being told where to go either, in a Metroid. Because when I play a Metroid there are a few things that I expect. A relatively interconnected open world, a feeling of solitude / few or none NPC's, a well designed alien world, a story told though gameplay and interesting bosses. I can't say that Other M delivered much of that, but looking aside from those points ... not bad, not great. I found the controls to work just fine and looking around for the hidden items do was enjoyable as where the odd enviromental puzzle that had me thinking for a short while.

eXistor

Dabookerman said:
Oh. ALSO. The Where's Wally segments have been mentioned, but I dunno about you guys, but I cannot stand forced slow walking segments. Especially when you can't skip them, and they last way too long!
Also cutscenes should be skippable, whether you're playing it for the first time or not.
I agree with a lot you've mentioned. I also agree with the forced slow-walks. A big issue for me is that the game has no atmosphere (that's a big drawback for a Metroid game). These slow-walk sections would be okay if the game oozed atmosphere, but since it doesn't these segments feel...well, forced and unnecessary.

This game is as far off from what I want in a Metroid it's not even funny anymore. It's like the game is at a T-junction everytime they have to make a decision and everytime they go a different route than I have in mind the gap becomes bigger:

non-linear or linear? I'd go the non-linear way, they chose linear. Okay, that's a pretty big deal, but if the rest of the game is great then it could make up for this mistake.

Music or no music? Well, I like me my melodies, so music. They went the ambient way. That's really too bad, music will always put me more into a game than no music. There's something to be said for being ambient, but given Metroid's great track record (pardon the pun) it's a shame. They really make you feel the disappointment too; when fighting
Ridley, I was having a blast. Why? It's a familiar face, he's using some Super Metroid moves and the kick-ass music is from Super Metroid.
That put me into the game, only then did the game feel like Metroid for the briefest of moments even if it was a complete rehash of earlier games.

Story or no story? No story obviously, right? Sakamoto didn't think so, they went the other way again, making the gap bigger.

Giving Samus a character. Are you kidding me? Of course not. Again they thought differently, and the gap is becoming the fucking Grand Canyon.

Exploring an alien planet or a space ship/ station? For me it can only be an unexplored alien planet. There's real mystery to be found there, real hidden stuff to be found. A space station or ship never feels truly alien and strange and holo decks are unbelievably hackneyed. Obviously they went with the space station route. The gap at this point might just as well be a black hole.

I can still have some fun with this game, but seeing them take all the wrong routes hurts as a Metroid fan and I'm not sure if they'll ever find the right path again. Obviously this is my opinion, but I'm sort of surprised to see most people really liking this game. To each his or her own I guess.

Note that I have nothing against the technology used in the game. I like the viewpoint, the wii-remote controls work great, it's just the game wrapped around the technology blows.

Most, if not all of the "invisible walls" are really invisible walls. The scenery extends beyond, but because you're in a ship they don't really go anywhere.

It's an odd design choice, but I understood it.

eXistor said:
when fighting
Ridley, I was having a blast. Why? It's a familiar face, he's using some Super Metroid moves and the kick-ass music is from Super Metroid.

so you wanted to play super metroid again, basically.

all your other wants (no story, no characterization, alien planet, non-linear) just brings the whole argument back to 'this isnt super metroid'...

you gotta change with the times, man...

I think its more than just wanting to play Super Metroid again. Although fun as hell, this game is definitely inferior to both Super and Prime as a complete package. Even withholding its lack of metroid-ism style, there are technical aspects which should not have made it through the doors.

robor

Both of those games follow a different core design. What about Metroid II and Fusion? How does Other M hold up to those?

MechaX

balladofwindfishes said:
Most, if not all of the "invisible walls" are really invisible walls. The scenery extends beyond, but because you're in a ship they don't really go anywhere.

It's an odd design choice, but I understood it.

Have you gotten the Space Jump yet? You'll notice tons of invisible walls that bar you from sustaining a jump at a certain height or bar you from jumping over/on certain stuff. It actually gets pretty maddening at that point.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MechaX said:
Have you gotten the Space Jump yet? You'll notice tons of invisible walls that bar you from sustaining a jump at a certain height or bar you from jumping over/on certain stuff. It actually gets pretty maddening at that point.
Agreed.

Top Bottom