• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

MadOdorMachine said:
No ones asking for a SM remake. People just point to that game because it's considered the best overall. They should take the best elements of each game and improve upon them while adding new things.

That's a problem. There's nothing wrong with repeating what works. Ever heard the saying, "If it aint broke, don't fix it?" That's what we have here. That's not to say you can't add new things though. There's a reason game franchises have a fan base. Throwing what attracted the fans to the series out the window isn't a good idea.

''Don't look a gift horse in the mouth'

It's easy to say something like that. Why don't they add the best bits of Halo and Call of Duty? Surely that would make a good game? No, it probably wouldn't, because the 'best' bits of those games wouldn't necessarily fit together. The same goes for Metroid. It's easy to say 'throw in the best elements of Super, maybe a bit of Prime and the Metroid hunting from II, then make it good. They should add some new stuff while they're at it.'

Then again from what you've said, they've already done that. Off the top of my head..

Metroid best bits - platforming, collectibles, morph ball;
II best bits - Queen Metroid boss battle, plasma beam;
Super best bits - Power-ups, Atmosphere;
Prime best bits - scanning, first person perspective;
Fusions - Tight storyline, linearity.

There - some of the 'best' bits of Metroid rolled up into one game and added to. Other M has all of those things, only, you're not that big a fan of the game are you? You have to use the first person perspective to shoot missiles and it bugs you. It's impossible to scan pixels and the controls are awkward. The morph ball puzzles are non-existent. The plot is contrived and the atmosphere follows. Immediately this 'add it all up and make it work' mantra doesn't sound so hot, because the 'best' bits of those games do not work together.

The game you speak of ought to not exist, period; but it does. Other M is probably going to be the game that will come closest to your description. Sakamoto has done exactly what you wanted him to do - incorporate the some the 'best' elements of the franchise and coil them up into one neatly displayed package with few new things added. Something extraordinarily difficult to pull off has been done (or at the very least, attempted), only when it does manifest itself, you don't like it.

Most Metroid fans will like the same things, but those 'best' bits aren't your best bits or John Metroid's best bits (they aren't even mine). So who is best suited to decide what the 'best' bits of the series are? I would say Sakamoto. I want him to do whatever he wants with Metroid, because it isn't my decision. If I were in his situation, I wouldn't want anybody compromising my decisions either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My favourite argument is always when someone doesn't argue that something is doing a unique, but rather every other game was just as uninspired.

KevinCow

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:

It's easy to say something like that. Why don't they add the best bits of Halo and Call of Duty? Surely that would make a good game? No, it probably wouldn't, because the 'best' bits of those games wouldn't necessarily fit together. The same goes for Metroid. It's easy to say 'throw in the best elements of Super, maybe a bit of Prime and the Metroid hunting from II, then make it good. They should add some new stuff while they're at it.'

Then again from what you've said, they've already done that. Off the top of my head..

There - some of the 'best' bits of Metroid rolled up into one game and added to. Other M has all of those things, only, you're not that big a fan of the game are you? You have to use the first person perspective to shoot missiles and it bugs you. It's impossible to scan pixels and the controls are awkward. The morph ball puzzles are non-existent. The plot is contrived and the atmosphere follows. Immediately this 'add it all up and make it work' mantra doesn't sound so hot, because the 'best' bits of those games do not work together.

The game you speak of ought to not exist, period; but it does. Other M is probably going to be the game that will come closest to your description. Sakamoto has done exactly what you wanted him to do - incorporate the some the 'best' elements of the franchise and coil them up into one neatly displayed package with few new things added. Something extraordinarily difficult to pull off has been done (or at the very least, attempted), only when it does manifest itself, you don't like it.

Most Metroid fans will like the same things, but those 'best' bits aren't your best bits or John Metroid's best bits (they aren't even mine). So who is best suited to decide what the 'best' bits of the series are? I would say Sakamoto. I want him to do whatever he wants with Metroid, because it isn't my decision. If I were in his situation, I wouldn't want anybody compromising my decisions either.

The fact that you listed "linearity" as one of the best bits of Fusion kinda blows my mind.

I love how you just took arbitrary elements that appeared in Other M as well as another Metroid game, declared them the best elements of their respective games, and said, "SEE THEY TRIED COMBINING THE BEST PARTS OF EACH GAME AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!! THIS GAME EVEN HAS THE MORPH BALL AND PLASMA BEAM, ISN'T THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU PEOPLE???"

Your point might work better if you tried listing the actual best elements of the series instead. You know, the exploration, the big, open world with tons of nooks and crannies to find, the feeling of isolation, the non-linearity, the storytelling via subtle environmental cues instead of cutscenes, finding exciting new power-ups, good controls, excellent and memorable boss fights, great music that suits the atmosphere yet manages to provide a strong, memorable melody at the same time...

Oh wait, they forgot all of that in Other M. Gee golly, but I thought they included everything that made previous Metroid games great, and everyone who's disappointed in Other M is just a silly whiner who doesn't really know what he wants?

John Harker said:
I would love to play more Metroid just based on this game.

It's better than I originally thought it was going to be.
(I never beat Super Metroid or Prime 1. Suckers.)
Lol

The best metroid game of the last 3 years is Batman AA

Kard8p3

KevinCow said:
The fact that you listed "linearity" as one of the best bits of Fusion kinda blows my mind.

I love how you just took arbitrary elements that appeared in Other M as well as another Metroid game, declared them the best elements of their respective games, and said, "SEE THEY TRIED COMBINING THE BEST PARTS OF EACH GAME AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!! THIS GAME EVEN HAS THE MORPH BALL AND PLASMA BEAM, ISN'T THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU PEOPLE???"

Your point might work better if you tried listing the actual best elements of the series instead. You know, the exploration, the big, open world with tons of nooks and crannies to find, the feeling of isolation, the non-linearity, the storytelling via subtle environmental cues instead of cutscenes, finding exciting new power-ups, good controls, excellent and memorable boss fights, great music that suits the atmosphere yet manages to provide a strong, memorable melody at the same time...

Oh wait, they forgot all of that in Other M. Gee golly, but I thought they included everything that made previous Metroid games great, and everyone who's disappointed in Other M is just a silly whiner who doesn't really know what he wants?

The bold part was in the game I played. I found a couple power-ups, thought the controls were great, thought it had some of the best boss battles of the series, and thought the music fit the atmosphere perfectly. You're right that the music isn't that memorable but it still worked in the game and I was fine with it.

The exploration was still in the game too. There were plenty of expansions to discover in the game world and some were hard to find. The feeling of isolation was there for me too. Being alone most of the time on this big abandoned space station really gives the sense of isolation. Sure the game is more linear than past games but it's worked for the series before (metroid 2, fusion) and it's fine here too.

bon

MadOdorMachine said:
I think they threw a lot of softballs for a game as controversial as this. It's also clear to me now after finding out more about him that Sakamoto is a walking contradiction. On one hand he says he wants to hear fans feedback, but then when they complain and say that want a game more like Super Metroid (notice we're not saying you can't add new things like an emphasis on action) he comes up with excuses like,

"We might be able to come up with a better Super Metroid but, some day sometime, we would work ourselves into a creative dead end if we were simply moving forward in one direction. "

No. Super Metroid didn't have shitty dialog, an unintuitive control scheme - in fact you could customize it and the game didn't hold your hand. That's not to say there are elements of the other games that weren't good as well. I also understand the fact that they want to make the game more appealing to a new audience, but that doesn't mean you shit over the audience you already have in the process. He's missing the entire point, nobody is saying they don't want change, just not the type of change he's making.
My fan feedback is that Other M is a great game and I want Sakamoto to keep experimenting with Metroid. Our opinions cancel each other out, so he doesn't need to listen to either of us!

Boney

Banned
Is the "sense of isolation" a necesary staple of the series that if it doesn't have it, it suffers, not withstanding any other aspect of the game itself?

AniHawk

20050311h.jpg

KevinCow said:

I'm beginning to think your copy of Other M was a completely different game from mine since I felt I've experienced all of the bolded during my play through.

I'll let you have that bit about the music, but as I addressed in my massive review a few pages ago what we had in this game I thought fit nicely as well. The ambient music was very atmospheric and did an excellent job building up tension. I wish we had something similar to the Brinstar theme in Super Metroid but whatever that isn't nearly enough to ruin my experience.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Echoes really comes into its own after you get the Dark Suit, or maybe even after you get the Seeker Missiles. It's decent beforehand, but after those moments it opens up in such a cool way. I'm still surprised by how amazing Retro's world design was from both an art perspective and a mechanical perspective, and I'm not even into the Sanctuary Fortress yet.

I have a new appreciation for the Torvus Bog. Agon Wastes is alright, but it always bothered me how similar it was to the Chozo Ruins. The beginning in the Temple is a bit ho-hum. But once you get access to everything together, it's just so ahead of its time.

KevinCow said:
The fact that I didn't read what the other poster was getting at - blowin' my mind.

Updated list:

Metroid best bits - exploration, the feeling of isolation, good controls;
II best bits - tons of nooks and crannies to find;
Super best bits - big, open world, finding exciting new power-ups; great music that suits the atmosphere yet manages to provide a strong, memorable melody at the same time;
Prime best bits - the storytelling via subtle environmental cues instead of cutscenes;
Fusion best bits - non-linearity.

What I was trying to say to MadOdorMachine was that Other M is probably as close as he is going to get to an amalgamation of Metroid's 'best' bits, arbitrary examples or no.

I feel like the fucking anti-Etoliate.

Pretty much this thread. Family members and Metroids are pretty much interchangeable.

Wife of Gob: I'm in love with your brother-in-law.
Gob: You're in love with your own brother? The one in the army?
Wife of Gob: No, your sister's husband.
Gob: Michael? [angrily] Michael!
Wife of Gob: No, that's your sister's brother.
Gob: No, I'm my sister's brother. [happily] You're in love with me — me!
Wife of Gob: I'm in love with Tobias.
Gob: My brother-in-law?
Wife of Gob: I know it can never be, so I'm leaving. I'm enlisting in the army.
Gob: To be with your brother.
Wife of Gob: No!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
MarshMellow96 said:

Read my post again. I said take the best elements of each of the games and improve on them. Nothing in your list was improved unless count linearity as one of the best features. The only thing that was done right was a new addition - the focus on action/combat.

etiolate

Banned
I just had this brilliant idea when I was thinking about cereal. There's like this whole cereal empire out there and I've always sort of had this thing with Cap'n Crunch and Crunch Berries did really well. People fucking loved Crunch Berries, but fuck, I'm so tired of Crunch Berries. I've done like Crunch Berries once before, why again? So, I'm like Mr Cereal Man, we need to change the Crunch. And he's like how? And damn, that was a good question. So I think, Mr Cereal Man, you know what people like? Fucking Mountain Dew Code Red. And he's like, we have Mountain Dew flavored berries? And I'm like no man! We make Cap'n Crunch that has Mountain Dew Code Red instead of milk. But he's like, why not let them have the choice of milk? And I'm like, you're not getting the vision here dude.

So like we do it right? We ship that stuff straight out and people get mad. But I'm like, these people are afraid of change. And then they're like the Mountain Dew and Crunch is burning my tongue. And I'm like yeah! Isn't it awesome? They whine "it tastes like battery acid flakes" But that's just their opinion man. That's so Cap'n Crunch to me. Then they get all mad and like wtf you talking about. Give me some milk, cereal needs milk. And by then, you know, its obvious they just were never gonna give Cap'n Crunch: Mandatory Dew a chance.

So negative you know?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Shit man, this (boss spoiler)
Queen Metroid is tough. There are too many little metroids, i cant freeze them fast enough. how do you beat this bitch?

Boney

Banned
John Harker said:
Shit man, this (boss spoiler)
Queen Metroid is tough. There are too many little metroids, i cant freeze them fast enough. how do you beat this bitch?
try to freeze all of them with a good dodge and charge. Then missile them to death.

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Someone should make a video of this with the Bee Gees "Stayin Alive" in the back ground.
:lol

personally I didn't find it that hard, didn't die or anything. Hard mode should be a different story though.

Kard8p3

RobotNinjaHornets said:
How did he get unbanned?!

AND WHY DID HE COME STRAIGHT BACK HERE?!

He lives on the edge.

MadOdorMachine said:
Read my post again. I said take the best elements of each of the games and improve on them. Nothing in your list was improved unless count linearity as one of the best features. The only thing that was done right was a new addition - the focus on action/combat.

To me the only thing done wrong in the game (from a gameplay perspective) were the where's waldo sections but to each his own.

John Harker

jeeze this game got hard at the end.

Now I can't seem to beat all those giant bug things in forced first person mode.
What's the trick here?

Boney

Banned
John Harker said:
jeeze this game got hard at the end.

Now I can't seem to beat all those giant bug things in forced first person mode.
What's the trick here?
Focus to the middle of the room
aim at MB

I wouldn't say anything to this game is perfect, except maybe the camara system. But it's definately very very good.

robor

etiolate said:
I just had this brilliant idea when I was thinking about cereal. There's like this whole cereal empire out there and I've always sort of had this thing with Cap'n Crunch and Crunch Berries did really well. People fucking loved Crunch Berries, but fuck, I'm so tired of Crunch Berries. I've done like Crunch Berries once before, why again? So, I'm like Mr Cereal Man, we need to change the Crunch. And he's like how? And damn, that was a good question. So I think, Mr Cereal Man, you know what people like? Fucking Mountain Dew Code Red. And he's like, we have Mountain Dew flavored berries? And I'm like no man! We make Cap'n Crunch that has Mountain Dew Code Red instead of milk. But he's like, why not let them have the choice of milk? And I'm like, you're not getting the vision here dude.

So like we do it right? We ship that stuff straight out and people get mad. But I'm like, these people are afraid of change. And then they're like the Mountain Dew and Crunch is burning my tongue. And I'm like yeah! Isn't it awesome? They whine "it tastes like battery acid flakes" But that's just their opinion man. That's so Cap'n Crunch to me. Then they get all mad and like wtf you talking about. Give me some milk, cereal needs milk. And by then, you know, its obvious they just were never gonna give Cap'n Crunch: Mandatory Dew a chance.

So negative you know?

And lame at that.

jman2050

One definition of insanity is performing the same action over and over again while expecting different results.

How the previous sentence applies to etiolate is an exercise left to the reader.

robor

jman2050 said:
One definition of insanity is performing the same action over and over again while expecting different results.

How the previous sentence applies to etiolate is an exercise left to the reader.

I guess that makes this entire thread a fine example of that definition.

John Harker

Game complete! Woa what a ride!
and :lol :lol at me. I did it in about 10 hours and was expecting like 80-90% completion and I clocked in at 61%! Crazy. This game sure nails the hidden item elements.

Final thoughts (Didn't do the full completion yet, just finished credits):

+ Graphics - easily one of the best on Wii
+ Animation - sooo smooth and fast
+ Art direction - the enemies in particular and some of the stages are ace
+ Story - the best in a Metroid game, and a good step in the right direction for Nintendo
+ Action/Combat - one of the better combat/action games on Wii, raw fun once you get adjusted
+ Over The Shoulder - i liked these segments in theory, though some executions were poor
+ Camera - enjoyed the cinematic quality of it, and it never caused any issues being fixed
+ Anthony Higgs
+ Power Ups - using all the old abilities in 3D really worked out well. Loved the screwattack/shinespark
+ Samus Aran - she went from just being cool looking to actually being an interesting, emotional character and has certainly jumped up the ladder in my eyes
+ Cut scenes - some of the prettiest and best directed I'd seen in awhile. Whoever was worried about this CG commercial company working on the game were sorely wrong
+ Ending - who knew Nintendo could pull off such an awesome one? Even the credits.

-------

- Music - pretty disappointing, barely heard anything memorable
- Writing - though this improves GREATLY over time, the first 3 hours or so was poor. End game it was much better, it's just unfortunate you have to feel like you had to 'push through it'
- Other GF soldiers - they were pretty useless, and I thought their armor was the only poor art choice in the game. Clearly we know who the traitor was, but he had no lines and btw, where did he go at the end?
- Forced Scan Sections - while I like them in theory, some of the executions were poor - i couldn't find that critter the first time for like 5 minutes
- Forced Platforming Sections - while not a major negative, some of it I found unnecessarily difficult. Not the more 2D platforming, but the odd-angled depth platforming, like that part where you have to jump up the angled platforms, occasionally freezing one. I missed too many times and kept sliding down the slope
- This thread - it's embarrassing

Verdict:
One of the best Metroid games to date. One of the best Wii titles as well. If it didn't have such a steep learning curve and poor writing I'd rate it higher, but right now it's about an 8.5/9. I had no issues with the controls after I got used to them, and I really enjoyed Third/First person switching (once you realized the visor turned yellow and you can shake to dodge while in FPS). Unfortunately that learning curve and slow start docks a point for me. Really looking forward to any Other M 2!

Boney

Banned
Rez and robor actually, you too are the transformation guys, with robor doing and 180º spin.

Oh and AgentOtaku as well.

Kard8p3

John Harker said:
Game complete! Woa what a ride!
and :lol :lol at me. I did it in about 10 hours and was expecting like 80-90% completion and I clocked in at 61%! Crazy. This game sure nails the hidden item elements.

Final thoughts (Didn't do the full completion yet, just finished credits):

+ Graphics - easily one of the best on Wii
+ Animation - sooo smooth and fast
+ Art direction - the enemies in particular and some of the stages are ace
+ Story - the best in a Metroid game, and a good step in the right direction for Nintendo
+ Action/Combat - one of the better combat/action games on Wii, raw fun once you get adjusted
+ Over The Shoulder - i liked these segments in theory, though some executions were poor
+ Anthony Higgs
+ Power Ups - using all the old abilities in 3D really worked out well. Loved the screwattack/shinespark
+ Samus Aran - she went from just being cool looking to actually being an interesting, emotional character and has certainly jumped up the ladder in my eyes
+ Cut scenes - some of the prettiest and best directed I'd seen in awhile. Whoever was worried about this CG commercial company working on the game were sorely wrong
+ Ending - who knew Nintendo could pull off such an awesome one? Even the credits.

-------

- Music - pretty disappointing, barely heard anything memorable
- Writing - though this improves GREATLY over time, the first 3 hours or so was poor. End game it was much better, it's just unfortunate you have to feel like you 'stuck through it'
- Other GF soldiers - they were pretty useless, and I thought their armor was the only poor art choice in the game. Clearly we know who the traitor was, but he had no lines and btw, where did he go at the end?
- Forced Scan Sections - while I like them in theory, some of the executions were poor - i couldn't find that critter the first time for like 5 minutes
- Forced Platforming Sections - while not a major negative, some of it I found unnecessarily difficult. Not the more 2D platforming, but the odd-angled depth platforming, like that part where you have to jump up the angled platforms, occasionally freezing one. I missed too many times and kept sliding down the slope
- This thread - it's embarrassing

Verdict:
One of the best Metroid games to date. One of the best Wii titles as well. If it didn't have such a steep learning curve and poor writing I'd rate it higher, but right now it's about an 8.5/9. I had no issues with the controls after I got used to them, and I really enjoyed Third/Firswt person switching (once you realized the visor turned yellow and yo can shake to dodge while in FPS). Unfortunately that learning curve loses the game a point for me. Really looking forward to any Other M 2!

the deleter was James and he was killed by MB.
Also I agree this thread is pretty embarrassing.

John Harker

Kard8p3 said:
the deleter was James and he was killed by MB.
Also I agree this thread is pretty embarrassing.

Oh, then what happened to
KG? I don't recall seeing him at all, assumed it was him and he just took off into the night

John Harker

Jeeze, did they even show his face? That happened so fast, didn't even notice who it was. Well okay, the game fooled me once then! :lol

Kard8p3

John Harker said:
Jeeze, did they even show his face? That happened so fast, didn't even notice who it was. Well okay, the game fooled me once then! :lol

Nah they didn't show his face. They didn't want you to know who got dumped in the lava because they wanted to keep you guessing about who it could be. In the end though we find James dead at the scene where he tried to kill MB.

I mentioned this a few pages back but I think people missed it or I may have missed people talking about this. I'll repost it here again:

Remember when El Pollo Loco
attacked you? If you listen closely, the music that plays is a remix of Ridley's theme LINK. I noticed that on my second play through and I realized how fucking clever that was 'cause at that time no one would have suspected it was him. The creatures also have the same tail too. Great foreshadowing.
Am I the only one that thought this was pretty neat? :lol

Kard8p3

effingvic said:
I mentioned this a few pages back but I think people missed it or I may have missed people talking about this. I'll repost it here again:

Am I the only one that thought this was pretty neat? :lol

That's pretty clever. No one would be listening for it the first time through but it's a nice little hint.

Boney

Banned
Yeah it's a great foreshadowing, but in the end, it was pretty obvious.

It really came to my attention how dark the game can look, saw it mentioned in the thread, but seeing it myself, it looks so dark, and it's hard to really see what's up. Guess I had the perfect setup on my TV.

jman2050

SlipperySlope said:
Umm... any boss tips?

Metroid Queen. My god is she a BITCH. Tried GameFAQ's, but I just can't do it. Can't get past "part 1".

Metroids are still Metroids. Kill them like you always have :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MrMister said:
Remember kids, if you're speed running or don't like the cut-scenes, just hit the minus (-) button to skip them! :lol
not the first time :(

Top Bottom