• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney

Banned
thecouncil said:
i did. i felt like there were times where just beam shooting killed an enemy faster than a charge shot. was i just nuts?
Definately. By they did much more damage to single enemies, and were great ways to stun enemies as well.

I miss this game :(

SlipperySlope said:
Umm... any boss tips?

Metroid Queen. My god is she a BITCH. Tried GameFAQ's, but I just can't do it. Can't get past "part 1".

Charge blast them when all five/six are floating near each other then use the multi missile.

Boney said:
I miss this game :(

I'm in the same boat. I let my brother borrow it after I got 100% but I sure want to attempt a speed run.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Sanctuary Fortress actually intimidates me, for some reason. It's really cool to look at, but I can barely remember so much of it. However, when I walk into a room, so many memories fly back. The Prime games, at least the first two, are the masters of triggering that feeling. It's like uncovering my dark past, for some reason.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Destructiod put out an article today on the story of Other M. It's sure to cause some controversy around here, but I think they do a good job at explaining some of the flaws with it. For the record, they scored the game with a 6.5/10 for their review.

http://www.destructoid.com/metroid-other-m-s-story-fails-on-so-many-levels-183310.phtml&mainnav=&track=featurebox

Destructiod said:
The flashbacks reveal just how much of a selfish brat Samus once was, pouting and giving the thumbs down during mission briefings. She left the Galactic Federation because she couldn't grasp the difficult choices Adam had to make on a regular basis. Basically, the trigger for Samus's decision to become a bounty hunter was not some altruistic higher calling but an act of defiance against "daddy." We are meant to appreciate how much Samus has matured since then, but these scenes only serve to sour our perceptions of her character, perceptions that we've held for over two decades...

Some people insist that we shouldn't fault Metroid: Other M for trying something new with the franchise. Unfortunately, the simple act of being "different" shouldn't excuse a game, film, or anything else for its numerous shortcomings, so I'm not going give Other M the benefit of the doubt because of its inclusion of grade school-level scriptwriting. The only thing that Other M's story succeeds in is killing gameplay momentum and discarding the subtle nuance that launched the franchise into popularity in the first place.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I automatically sit back in my chair when I read any criticism of the game that is aimed squarely at the movie part of the package as opposed to the game part of the package, but when the damn thing is unskippable, it's hard to blame anyone for legitimately getting upset about it. The film they stuck on top remains the least of my problems with Other M.

Boney

Banned
I'm not even gonna bother with the article since it's nothing we haven't been through before and it's very, and I stress, very poorly written, with a sprinkle of ignorance and rage to top it off.

What I was gonna comment on, is that I've been listening the soundtrack on youtube, and I have to say, I'm even more impressed than I was earlier, it blends naturally with the game, but most combat songs are flat out outstanding. They don't relate to anything from the other games, but it's definately a keeper. Be sure to check it out guys.

Rez said:
I automatically sit back in my chair when I read any criticism of the game that is aimed squarely at the movie part of the package as opposed to the game part of the package, but when the damn thing is unskippable, it's hard to blame anyone for legitimately getting upset about it. The film they stuck on top remains the least of my problems with Other M.
I'll say this: I have problems with this game, but I find them extremely easy to push aside and see the whole.

That doesn't mean these problems don't exists or that they shouldn't matter for anybody, but I find the eyerolling parts to be few-and-far between and easy to deal with.

There are other games I feel this way about - Okami, Crackdown, No More Heroes, etc. Other M occupies that same space in my mind right now.

Solune

Boney said:
I'm not even gonna bother with the article since it's nothing we haven't been through before and it's very, and I stress, very poorly written, with a sprinkle of ignorance and rage to top it off.

What I was gonna comment on, is that I've been listening the soundtrack on youtube, and I have to say, I'm even more impressed than I was earlier, it blends naturally with the game, but most combat songs are flat out outstanding. They don't relate to anything from the other games, but it's definately a keeper. Be sure to check it out guys.

Since you won't comment I will, since I like being a dick.

If another Sakamoto Metroid ever gets made, I guarantee it'll be infused with even more ham-fisted dialogue and cinematic pap. I should have seen all this coming a mile a way -- the seeds were planted in Fusion and Zero Mission, and Other M just took things to the next level. If that's what you guys want, fine. Enjoy the canned drama and forced emotions.

Just count me out.

His problems with the game and whatnot are nothing new. He's just another butthurt Metroid "fan".

Poyunch

Yeah that's the thing that's bothered me about some of the complaints. Why do people really care how Samus acted in the flashbacks? That's not the way Samus is now. It's not even the way Samus was in Metroid/Zero Mission.

It's irrelevant to me. Fuck I already gave up on this thread why do I keep coming back?

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Yeah that's the thing that's bothered me about some of the complaints. Why do people really care how Samus acted in the flashbacks? That's not the way Samus is now. It's not even the way Samus was in Metroid/Zero Mission.

It's irrelevant to me. Fuck I already gave up on this thread why do I keep coming back?
because you like having me around tee hee

200px-Im_just_a_cute_lil_elaphant.jpg

I thought the way Samus acted in the past made sense

She was more talented than every other soldier combined, but she had to act like an equal and below officers above her. So she acted like she was being oppressed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
I'll say this: I have problems with this game, but I find them extremely easy to push aside and see the whole.

That doesn't mean these problems don't exists or that they shouldn't matter for anybody, but I find the eyerolling parts to be few-and-far between and easy to deal with.

There are other games I feel this way about - Okami, Crackdown, No More Heroes, etc. Other M occupies that same space in my mind right now.
I think a lot of my issues with Other M, or at least the severity of them I communicate in posts here, can be chalked up to me being spoilt.

I'm one of those people that honestly believe that as time goes on games are generally getting better and better (the ones I play, anyway. hell, I'd imagine that even shovelware is much better relatively). There are always outliers on both sides of the spectrum, but generally the games I sit down a play nowadays are almost all, if not excellent, then at least very, very good in many ways.

Other M, to me, is just a decent game. The cliche I find myself thinking most often is 'nothing too write home about'. It exists, and it's mostly fine, but it's something I feel like I'll have forgotten in a year's time. That's not a quality I usually associate with Metroid, which probably explains the totally disproportionate amount of time I've spent dissecting my problems with it as opposed to actually playing it.

So, in that respect, my prior expectations have affected the amount of time I've spent thinking about the game, but I'll continue to reject the notion that it actually affected my overall impression of the game. Not that you were implying that, I just used your post as a springboard.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Solune said:
Since you won't comment I will, since I like being a dick.

His problems with the game and whatnot are nothing new. He's just another butthurt Metroid "fan".
I think that's a bit narrow minded and that the complaints are justified. There are plenty of examples just like the one mentioned below that occur through out the game.

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD

Destructoid said:
Upon arriving on the Bottle Ship, Samus bumps into a Galactic Federation platoon led by Adam and agrees to aid in their investigation. Shortly thereafter, the soldiers start getting picked off one by one. Samus arrives at the conclusion that one member of the team is an assassin hired by the Federation to silence any witnesses. She dubs this rouge agent the "Deleter" and vows to prevent further sabotage.

Then the thread is dropped entirely.

At some point, the Deleter is himself murdered, but the event is treated with such disregard that I question whether the whole mess was ever relevant to begin with. The game never reveals the identity of the Deleter, and following a case of false accusation against her long-time friend Anthony Higgs, Samus never brings up the subject again. The game continues, the game ends, and that is that.

Significant attention was initially directed towards this development, implying that this character's actions would have serious repercussions later in the game. Not only does he not have any influence aside from a few dead NPCs who might as well have been wearing red shirts, but we also don't even get the satisfaction of a proper unmasking. There are clues that point to James Pierce being the Deleter, but does it really matter?

This is the kind of OCD misdirection that you'd find in an episode of Lost. The director introduces a plot device and convinces the audience that it's important, gets distracted by a flock of geese outside his window, then forgets to plan an adequate follow-up.

robor

Narrative wise, Other M is definitely a step backwards. It fumbles the plot, it attempts to create atmosphere with expository mode to enrich the narrative, but it mistranslates and more often than not, it alienates the player by dislocating the over all experience of being a fast, agile bounty hunter. Oh and the point of establishment; there's no justification as to why you're IN expository mode, it seems to randomly appear on face value. The most useless feature in the game for sure and mostly because of its' relationship with the narrative.

With Prime 1 and 2, everything is suggestive, it never forces Samus or the narrative onto the player so your interpretation holds more validity in the game world. Samus' va in Other M works well and it fits the character but if you want to have a story with heavy use of cutscenes, then you better spend as much time with the narrative as you do with the game design. Other M falls incredibly short of this and if Sakamoto thinks his story isn't in need of revision, then he's dreaming among the stars.

Having said that, it would be amazing if Other M followed a similar narrative structure seen in Prime assigned to FPS mode with the scanning mechanic.

hatchx

Banned
robor said:
Narrative wise, Other M is definitely a step backwards. It fumbles the plot, it attempts to create atmosphere with expository mode to enrich the narrative, but it mistranslates and more often than not, it alienates the player by dislocating the over all experience of being a fast, agile bounty hunter. Oh and the point of establishment; there's no justification as to why you're IN expository mode, it seems to randomly appear on face value. The most useless feature in the game for sure and mostly because of its' relationship with the narrative.

With Prime 1 and 2, everything is suggestive, it never forces Samus or the narrative onto the player so your interpretation holds more validity in the game world. Samus' va in Other M works well and it fits the character but if you want to have a story with heavy use of cutscenes, then you better spend as much time with the narrative as you do with the game design. Other M falls incredibly short of this and if Sakamoto thinks his story isn't in need of revision, then he's dreaming among the stars.

Having said that, it would be amazing if Other M followed a similar narrative structure seen in Prime assigned to FPS mode with the scanning mechanic.

Prime 1 and 2 and to a lesser extent 3 are among god's graces to video games.

Metroid Other M is just a good game. It's like Super Mario Sunshine. SMS had terrible story, cutscenes, end boss, enemies, etc. Hardly ruined the series (and it's return to glory on wii).

The story is about what I expect out of a video game story. It's whatever. For some reason, Metroid Other M felt like a GREAT playstation game to me. I can't explain why, but the overall design and cutscene style just seemed like a fantastic psx game. It would have been a 10/10 wiiware title too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hatchx said:
The story is about what I expect out of a video game story. It's whatever. For some reason, Metroid Other M felt like a GREAT playstation game to me. I can't explain why, but the overall design and cutscene style just seemed like a fantastic psx game. It would have been a 10/10 wiiware title too.
yeah, I feel that way too. a long time I ago, I predicted it to be Metroid 64, of sorts, and I don't feel like I was actually far off the mark.

hatchx

Banned
Rez said:
yeah, I feel that way too. a long time I ago, I predicated it to be Metroid 64, of sorts, and I don't feel like I was actually far off the mark.

If this had come out on N64, same game with older tech, it would have been huge.

Mael

hatchx said:
If this had come out on N64, same game with older tech, it would have been huge.

Not if you use assets that were state of the art at the time, heck it'd probably be pretty small...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, so apparently I predicated this rather than predicting it. Skype is ruining my spelling.

Finished this yesterday. As someone who was sorely disappointed with the Prime games, this felt like a return to form, and it's in my top 3 of Metroids along with Zero Mission and Super.

Sure, it has its flaws, but at least it isn't in first person and slow as molasses.

A.CHAP

Banned
I finished hard mode last night and now i want more, I really like this game.

I decided to play through prime again as i never did hyper mode. To my horror I found that Samus is wearing her vile purple and green suit! I dont remember how I got this and cant find out how to get rid of it. Can someone please help me?

Mael

A.CHAP said:
I finished hard mode last night and now i want more, I really like this game.

I decided to play through prime again as i never did hyper mode. To my horror I found that Samus is wearing her vile purple and green suit! I dont remember how I got this and cant find out how to get rid of it. Can someone please help me?

fusion suit I guess, go to menu and change that?

Wow, I just found out I'm stuck because of a "game breaking glitch".
It's after you fight the recurring boss that attacked Anthony earlier. You go down in an elevator in the middle of the room where you fought him. Then you cross a gap using 3 grapple points. The door in this room is supposed to open and there's no other way to get out, but for me the door stays closed.
So after spending a good while trying to figure out wtf I'm supposed to do here I went googling and found out this is the infamous glitch.
Even if the save point is before the boss fight, the glitch remains, so I have to start over with the possiblity of it happening again.

A.CHAP

Banned
Mael said:
fusion suit I guess, go to menu and change that?

I couldnt find an option for it anywhere, I must have missed something but I looked at the ingame and main menu and couldnt find it.
I dont think i can play through the game in this ghastly attire.

fireside

A.CHAP said:
I couldnt find an option for it anywhere, I must have missed something but I looked at the ingame and main menu and couldnt find it.
I dont think i can play through the game in this ghastly attire.
In the main menu there is an option for “Metroid Fusion Connection Bonuses”. Select that and disable the Fusion suit from there.

Mael

fireside said:
In the main menu there is an option for “Metroid Fusion Connection Bonuses”. Select that and disable the Fusion suit from there.

It's in the bonus section of the main menu.
If it's the trilogy version obviously.
You'll find that menu in the part where you unlock all the goodies, from the galleries to the capture possiblities.

A.CHAP

Banned
Mael said:
It's in the bonus section of the main menu.
If it's the trilogy version obviously.
You'll find that menu in the part where you unlock all the goodies, from the galleries to the capture possiblities.

Thanks, ill try again tonight.

crispyben

Herbspicesoy said:
Wow, I just found out I'm stuck because of a "game breaking glitch".
It's after you fight the recurring boss that attacked Anthony earlier. You go down in an elevator in the middle of the room where you fought him. Then you cross a gap using 3 grapple points. The door in this room is supposed to open and there's no other way to get out, but for me the door stays closed.
So after spending a good while trying to figure out wtf I'm supposed to do here I went googling and found out this is the infamous glitch.
Even if the save point is before the boss fight, the glitch remains, so I have to start over with the possiblity of it happening again.
I seem to remember a square hole in the ground a few rooms before, on the right, leading to lava monsters... Could it lead somewhere? I wasn't hit by the bug so I just dropped down and climbed back up, but maybe that can be a way out.

Mael

you're welcome.

I guess the biggest underlying problem i have with the story of this game is that :
http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews...the-unwritten-future-of-the-warioware-series/

Sakamoto said:
As a matter of fact I think I made some basic comment about that in one of the official guide books to Super Metroid all those years ago. Specifically what I said was, the way we made Super Metroid was to try not to use dialogue or text at all and that everything should be conveyed through gameplay. We intentionally avoided direct narrative. Rather than have Samus talk about herself we preferred the player to feel things through the game. This even extended to navigation as, rather than tell people where to go using text messages, we would design the stages so that people could sense where to go next.

Metroid was the only serie left that actually pulled that quite nicely and now that it's gone with no hope of return, because clearly with Fusion who cared there was still Prime that followed that.
Now in term of narrative, I can't say I expect much from Metroid anymore.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
hatchx said:
If this would have come out on N64, I doubt they would have had the first person shooter sections. I can only imagine the bas ass midi soundtrack it would have had though. I agree that the third person parts and story feel very much like a hi-res PS1/N64 era game. That's not a bad thing either.

Mael said:
you're welcome.

I guess the biggest underlying problem i have with the story of this game is that :
http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews...the-unwritten-future-of-the-warioware-series/

Metroid was the only serie left that actually pulled that quite nicely and now that it's gone with no hope of return, because clearly with Fusion who cared there was still Prime that followed that.
Now in term of narrative, I can't say I expect much from Metroid anymore.
He's pretty much admitted that he wanted to take the series in the direction it's in. I wouldn't have a problem with it had he implemented it correctly, but it's a quagmire.The only saving grace I see at this point is that:

1. He says he'll listen to fans feedback. I'm skeptical about this because he wouldn't even listen to the feedback of his own development staff

2. He doesn't know what to do with the series next.

Mael

MadOdorMachine said:
He's pretty much admitted that he wanted to take the series in the direction it's in. I wouldn't have a problem with it had he implemented it correctly, but it's a quagmire.The only saving grace I see at this point is that:

1. He says he'll listen to fans feedback. I'm skeptical about this because he wouldn't even listen to the feedback of his own development staff

2. He doesn't know what to do with the series next.

So I guess YAY for getting rid of everything that made the game special?
I mean if there was one serie I'd have been sure that'd keep its soul after the trend to cinematic of the late 90's it was Metroid....
Guess I was wrong :lol
edit : and the weird part is that I may actually trade this in, in favor of the KH game on psp :lol
Heck the narative won't be better but at least the playing part will

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Mael said:
So I guess YAY for getting rid of everything that made the game special?
I mean if there was one serie I'd have been sure that'd keep its soul after the trend to cinematic of the late 90's it was Metroid....
Guess I was wrong :lol
edit : and the weird part is that I may actually trade this in, in favor of the KH game on psp :lol
Heck the narative won't be better but at least the playing part will
He said in another interview that he wanted to take the mystery away from Samus as a character. I don't think that was a good choice, but if you're going to do, do it right. He didn't.

Mael

MadOdorMachine said:
He said in another interview that he wanted to take the mystery away from Samus as a character. I don't think that was a good choice, but if you're going to do, do it right. He didn't.

Or simply don't do it?
What is to be earned by removing the mystery here?
I mean there's no upside at all!
Whatever you do it'll only bring it down compared to how it's been done before!
the only thing it did was remove the player from the equation (and they could have involved the player in it by making her talk when you actually played her...)

mantidor

MadOdorMachine said:

really? that was basically the only thing that made the character interesting, Sakamoto is clearly insane. Or at least should be restrained from doing anything character or story related, ever again. It's such a shame he isn't under Miyamoto, he would have thwarted this silliness and we would still have an appealing Samus, not the crap we have now.

Mael

mantidor said:
really? that was basically the only thing that made the character interesting, Sakamoto is clearly insane. Or at least should be restrained from doing anything character or story related, ever again. It's such a shame he isn't under Miyamoto, he would have thwarted this silliness and we would still have an appealing Samus, not the crap we have now.

yeah considering how he let his team put a story in the Galaxy games...
but yeah that game definitely needed some tea on the carpet...

mantidor

Mael said:
yeah considering how he let his team put a story in the Galaxy games...
but yeah that game definitely needed some tea on the carpet...

The guy who put the story did it under the table, Miyamoto didn't know about it or it would have been scrapped, he said so in the Iwata Asks, its so minimal and optional that it honestly doesn't matter. Galaxy 2 has zero story besides Bowser kidnaps Peach, Mario goes to rescue her.

I don't like such extreme attitude, but if the only other option is the opposite like with other m, I'll rather not have any story at all.

Mael

mantidor said:
The guy who put the story did it under the table, Miyamoto didn't know about it or it would have been scrapped, he said so in the Iwata Asks, its so minimal and optional that it honestly doesn't matter. Galaxy 2 has zero story besides Bowser kidnaps Peach, Mario goes to rescue her.

I don't like such extreme attitude, but if the only other option is the opposite like with other m, I'll rather not have any story at all.

yeah I guess I was a bit extreme here, heck he actually shot it down before saying stuffs like 'It's not Zelda' or something.
Btw Koizumi should get on the zelda team...

and I'm with you on the no story part, heck smb and nsmbw had NO story to speak of and that ended up pretty well.
Heck one could even extend that to the galaxy games :lol

Boney

Banned
An 64 game...? wtf are you people smoking :lol

As for the Deleter,
Samus can't accuse anybody, she loses contact with Adam shortly there after, and it's dropped because it's practically resolved, Samus finds James dead, it doesn't take a genious to put 2 and 2 together, and there's a more inmediate danger with MB.

It was mishandled yes, but there are no inconsistencies.

BigAT

Am I the only one that always pronounced Zebes as "zeebs", with a long E? It was kind of startling to hear it voiced as "ZEH-behz".

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
mantidor said:
Yeah, we went over it in more detail earlier. He also threatened to pull the plug on the whole project after Team Ninja tried to get him to let them use the nun chuck. Iwata also said he's very stubborn which is quite obvious now. I find it odd Sakamoto went to Team Ninja for help and then didn't accept a lot of their ideas - music included. I get the feeling if there isn't another collaboration with Team Ninja, it will be because they choose not to. If they do, hopefully they'll get a little more creative control.

Boney said:
An 64 game...? wtf are you people smoking :lol

As for the Deleter,
Samus can't accuse anybody, she loses contact with Adam shortly there after, and it's dropped because it's practically resolved, Samus finds James dead, it doesn't take a genious to put 2 and 2 together, and there's a more inmediate danger with MB.

It was mishandled yes, but there are no inconsistencies.
Yeah, it seemed like a PS1/N64 era game to me, but not in a bad way.

They point about the deleter was that they just dropped the ball on it. There really was no point in having it other than to kill GF Troopers who served no purpose anyway.

BigAT said:
Am I the only one that always pronounced Zebes as "zeebs", with a long E? It was kind of startling to hear it voiced as "ZEH-behz".
I was pronouncing it Zee Bus. I also pronounced Samus Aran more like Samus UhRahn. It was weird at first, but I can get over it.

BigAT said:
I always pronounced it like it's in the game. It depends on your native tongue, I guess.

mantidor

MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah, we went over it in more detail earlier. He also threatened to pull the plug on the whole project after Team Ninja tried to get him to let them use the nun chuck.

I really liked the controls on the game even if the dpad of the remote sucks, so I really don't have any complaints there. The nunchuck would've only made sense in the over the shoulder sections if anything, I never felt the need to use it at all. Since the general idea for the game was some sort of compromise between 2.5D and 3D I think the controls worked perfectly regarding that.

Top Bottom