• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Attackthebase said:
...:lol...Um, no. Visuals in a video game =/ art.
What? what kind of bullshit is this?

I read several professional game journalist saying that better graphics (ps3 quality) is equal to the highest form of art and oscar worthy stories.

Lurk some more junior then you will understand how games actually works.

Mudkips said:
Manbaby tears to the tune of "I thought I was playing Master Chief with tits, not a human being.".

How do you get from a person hating on the worst writing and characterization since the latest Michael Bay film to "Halo rulez"? Someone who has the good sense and taste to hate this most likely hates Halo's awful story, too. Whether you like the game or not, it takes incredibly low standards to defend the presentation.

ezekial45

Banned
Can Anyone give me some tips on the
part when you have to protect madeline?

I only have two e tanks left and 24 missiles. They just won't die!

Help!!!!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ezekial45 said:

Help!!!!
hint: your goal isn't the enemies.

Boney

Banned
ezekial45 said:

Help!!!!
Point to the middle of the screen.
towards MB

flintstryker said:
What? what kind of bullshit is this?

I read several professional game journalist saying that better graphics (ps3 quality) is equal to the highest form of art and oscar worthy stories.

Lurk some more junior then you will understand how games actually works.

:lol :lol :lol

Mudkips said:
IGN's got some gripping journalism going on today...

Killing Samus
How Metroid: Other M ruined gaming's greatest heroine.

Manbaby tears to the tune of "I thought I was playing Master Chief with tits, not a human being.".
Might be manbaby tears but Game Rankings says it all. It's the lowest rated Metroid game on the site not counting the Return of Same or NES Classics Metroid. It's even ranking lower than Hunters and Pinball. The fact that it's not garnering nearly as many reviews as say the Prime games is testament to a general lack of enthusiasm or interest. http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=metroid&numrev=3&site=

spidye

evilromero said:
Might be manbaby tears but Game Rankings says it all. It's the lowest rated Metroid game on the site not counting the Return of Same or NES Classics Metroid. It's even ranking lower than Hunters and Pinball. The fact that it's not garnering nearly as many reviews as say the Prime games is testament to a general lack of enthusiasm or interest. http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=metroid&numrev=3&site=
thanks. you just made me realise why I don't care for reviews anymore.
Other M is the best Metroid game I've ever played and the first one I actually wanted to finish and I played all prime games and some of the gba games.

Boney

Banned
evilromero said:
If you get reviews like the GameInformer one that says that the game revolves in running in circles charging your shots, well, I don't care about reviews.

spidye said:
thanks. you just made me realise why I don't care for reviews anymore.
Other M is the best Metroid game I've ever played and the first one I actually wanted to finish and I played all prime games and some of the gba games.
What does "some of the gba games" even mean? There are only two, Fusion and MZM. I'd take either one over Other M personally.

Boney said:
If you get reviews like the GameInformer one that says that the game revolves in running in circles charging your shots, well, I don't care about reviews.
True dat. They got it all wrong. Other M obviously revolves around dodging in circles and charging your shots. Running, pssssh.

spidye

GrotesqueBeauty said:
What does "some of the gba games" even mean? There are only two, Fusion and MZM. I'd take either one over Other M personally.
oh, I thought there are more but I didn't care much for the gba games.
I've never said they were bad games. I just prefer other m over any other metroid game.

spidye said:
oh, I thought there are more but I didn't care much for the gba games.
I've never said they were bad games. I just prefer other m over any other metroid game.
What is it about Other M that you prefer to the rest of the series?

spidye

GrotesqueBeauty said:
What is it about Other M that you prefer to the rest of the series?
intense action, never gets boring, aweseome cgi, a pretty decent soundtrack and a very fast and agile samus and there's much more.
I can play 4 hours straight and never get bored or tired of this game. just like SMG or half life2.

spidye said:
intense action, never gets boring, aweseome cgi, a pretty decent soundtrack and a very fast and agile samus and there's much more.
I can play 4 hours straight and never get bored or tired of this game. just like SMG or half life2.
Thanks. It's interesting to get someone else's take, especially since I think people who rank Other M first are few and far between even among its vocal advocates. I personally never found any of the 2D games boring, and I actually think Samus is more agile in them, at the very least from Super Metroid onward. I agree the soundtrack is pretty decent, but that's a weird thing to point out as elevating it above other Metroid games considering it's arguably one of the more forgettable in the series. The CGI I found to be a mixed bag, with a handful of awesome engaging scenes surrounded by a lot of fluff and embarrassing over-explanation. People's opinions on the narrative elements are probably the best litmus test for what people are seeking from the series though. I find they break up the rhythm of the gameplay, detracting from replayablity and often make the progression seem more arbitrary and coerced, but it's no secret I consider the minimalism of the earlier games more appealing.

evilromero said:

43 reviews are quite a bit; SMG2 only had 53 reviews.

Hmm, looking at the list of reviews, they excluded G4's 2/5 (40%). Plus there are outliers at 50% and 55%.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
GrotesqueBeauty said:
True dat. They got it all wrong. Other M obviously revolves around dodging in circles and charging your shots. Running, pssssh.
Touche' I think the overall average on Metacritic is a pretty good indicator of what the score should be though. Ranking the game in the C+ or B- range is about right imo. The problem with Other M is that the parts that work are really great and the parts that don't are horrendous. The individual reviews might have some bias, but Metacritic (as far as a score goes) filters thru that.

Boney

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Well since charging shot just like that takes a hell of a time, and regular shots deal more damage, I don't see why you would do this. You try to get into the enemies range to charge your shots faster. Not to mention there are other options such as overblasts, fatal strikes and missiles.

I'd put it in the B-, B+ area

spidye

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Thanks. It's interesting to get someone else's take, especially since I think people who rank Other M first are few and far between even among its vocal advocates. I personally never found any of the 2D games boring, and I actually think Samus is more agile in them, at the very least from Super Metroid onward. I agree the soundtrack is pretty decent, but that's a weird thing to point out as elevating it above other Metroid games considering it's arguably one of the more forgettable in the series. The CGI I found to be a mixed bag, with a handful of awesome engaging scenes surrounded by a lot of fluff and embarrassing over-explanation. People's opinions on the narrative elements are probably the best litmus test for what people are seeking from the series though. I find they break up the rhythm of the gameplay, detracting from replayablity and often make the progression seem more arbitrary and coerced, but it's no secret I consider the minimalism of the earlier games more appealing.
a good friend of mine loves the older games too and his reasons are the same as yours. I think a big reason why I prefer this fast paced, more action oriented game and the narrative elements more is because I started playing games in the psx,n64 era and you probably started before where the story and narration in games were just minimalistic.
and you are right. pretty decent soundtrack was a bad choice of words. I meant the soundtrack, although not as epic as the older ones reminded me of sci fi-movies and it just felt right for this game.

ksamedi

I finished this the other day and I have to conclude that it blows away any of the Prime games (except for maybe 3 but other M is still better). You guys are taking the story way too seriously. Its the game play mechanics that were really well done. The story has a lot of things that doesn't make sense but if you are willing to ignore that type of stuff its entertaining.

Struct09

Lone_Prodigy said:
43 reviews are quite a bit; SMG2 only had 53 reviews.

Hmm, looking at the list of reviews, they excluded G4's 2/5 (40%). Plus there are outliers at 50% and 55%.

I'm pretty sure G4 requests that their scores don't show up on aggregators like gamerankings or metacritic.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Metroid: Other M isn't a bad game. But it fails pretty hard in a lot of departments. When it's trying to be a Metroid game, it works. When it tries to be something else, it doesn't.

It's like a really well constructed house that's built to last, but it's painted a really ugly green color and the carpeting is terrible.

ksamedi said:
I finished this the other day and I have to conclude that it blows away any of the Prime games (except for maybe 3 but other M is still better). You guys are taking the story way too seriously. Its the game play mechanics that were really well done. The story has a lot of things that doesn't make sense but if you are willing to ignore that type of stuff its entertaining.
At the end of the day we can all pretend it's the best Metroid game, but in the annals of gaming history it will be ignored in favor of Prime or Super. It's even less an issue of opinion when it's ranking below Hunters and Pinball.

KevinCow

Banned
ksamedi said:
The story has a lot of things that doesn't make sense but if you are willing to ignore that type of stuff its entertaining.

"Well sure it has a lot of stuff that's terrible but if you can just ignore the terrible stuff then it's awesome."

Fantastic logic.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Movie Mode after you beat the game is pretty sweet. D-Rockets produced some beaitiful stuff here. Every game should do this - they even quickly tape gameplay segments so the full experience is complete - ya'll be trippin, Bobby Kotick is right. Gamers would spend $20-$30 easily for this kinda cinematic experience.

MadOdorMachine said:
Touche' I think the overall average on Metacritic is a pretty good indicator of what the score should be though. Ranking the game in the C+ or B- range is about right imo. The problem with Other M is that the parts that work are really great and the parts that don't are horrendous. The individual reviews might have some bias, but Metacritic (as far as a score goes) filters thru that.
I don't give much credence to metacritic scores, but aside from that I'm with you on most of your post. For better or worse I think one of the defining factors of Other M is its often schizophrenic level of quality. There are segments that feel like a solid 9.5/10 to me, and others where I'd be hard pressed to give it a 6/10. And of course there's plenty that falls somewhere in the middle. I'm doing my second play-through (and will probably finally post a more in depth analysis when I finish), and it's hard to shake the feeling that the game wasn't entirely finished because of how wildly it swings between extremes. At any rate, I'd say a C+/B- is right around where I'd place it as well. The high points are almost enough to make me push it a little higher, but there are an awful lot of nagging design flaws that drag it down from start to end.

Boney said:
Well since charging shot just like that takes a hell of a time, and regular shots deal more damage, I don't see why you would do this. You try to get into the enemies range to charge your shots faster. Not to mention there are other options such as overblasts, fatal strikes and missiles.

I'd put it in the B-, B+ area
Yeah, I'm giving you a bit of a hard time. I don't actually think the game boils down to dodging and charging, although I do think that part of the gameplay weighs a bit too heavily in the overall mix. I would have liked to see the sense move as an actual suit upgrade, and more of an addition to the arsenal than a central mechanic. I think there's ample opportunity to integrate it more seamlessly into the whole in a another Metroid game, although I'm not particularly optimistic about that prospect as the franchise seems set on trying to reinvent the wheel all the time at the expense of balancing, refining, and evolving what's already been proven to work.

spidye said:
a good friend of mine loves the older games too and his reasons are the same as yours. I think a big reason why I prefer this fast paced, more action oriented game and the narrative elements more is because I started playing games in the psx,n64 era and you probably started before where the story and narration in games were just minimalistic.
and you are right. pretty decent soundtrack was a bad choice of words. I meant the soundtrack, although not as epic as the older ones reminded me of sci fi-movies and it just felt right for this game.
The generation gap certainly plays a role in people's tastes and expectations. Still, I've always thought, and continue to think, that a new Metroid game that embraced the fundamentals of the first three games yet forged new territory would have more impact than the various "new" (and I use the term loosely, because they're mostly things dozens of other games have attempted- often with more successful results) directions that the past several games have groped in. Good design transcends console generations.

Boney

Banned
The problem with Sense move is that apart from being so easy to perform and having the included benefit of a charge shot is that even if you do fail, nothing is gonna happen because of all the life you got in normal mode. That's why it truly shines in hard mode, and the whole combat system as well, you'll want to use missiles to end battles quickly and you're gonna have to keep on your toes because dying is super easy.

As for the flaws, although it definately pins it down, I don't think the bog it down too hard and well, I don't consider it being linear a flaw in the game itself, because that was never the intent.

Boney said:
The problem with Sense move is that apart from being so easy to perform and having the included benefit of a charge shot is that even if you do fail, nothing is gonna happen because of all the life you got in normal mode. That's why it truly shines in hard mode, and the whole combat system as well, you'll want to use missiles to end battles quickly and you're gonna have to keep on your toes because dying is super easy.

As for the flaws, although it definately pins it down, I don't think the bog it down too hard and well, I don't consider it being linear a flaw in the game itself, because that was never the intent.
Linearity isn't a flaw in and of itself, but when the game leans heavily on conceits like invisible walls and randomly locked doors to funnel you towards each objective I think it's a failure of design and imagination. Other M is full of unnecessary bottlenecks that more thoughtful level design could've eliminated entirely.

As for health, my main gripe is less that it's too easy on normal difficulty and more that the whole switch to concentration mode/lack of enemy drops was a horrendous decision that added nothing to the experience and sucked a lot of the reward out of fighting common critters as you run around.

Haunted

AniHawk said:
Video games are art. They're practically movies (the really good ones anyway). They need to look as realistic as possible. I think the main issue really is that the Wii was used. My minimum standards are PSP levels of visuals so the Wii doesn't quite cut it. Metroid Other M on the PSP or even 3DS (if they have to) would've made for a much better story.
topher grace.gif

John Harker

Hmm, woa, why arent people talking about the post-game content more?

The long outer corrider where you fight frickin everyone was awesome, and then now I'm fighting some
giant space alien eyeball thing
didn't realize it was so robust. Nice.

John Harker said:

The long outer corrider where you fight frickin everyone was awesome, and then now I'm fighting some

Best part of the game IMO. It even gets better after the part you're at.

I wish it was better presented though: it doesn't really entice you to keep playing after the credits roll. Even I thought it was a New Game+ for completionists' sake.

AniHawk

John Harker said:

That's Phantoon from Super Metroid

The corridor gauntlet was kind of a cakewalk when I realized I could just screw attack kill mostly everything.

Boney

Banned
I think the whole invisible wall business was designed to emulate 2d planes, and I think it works with mixed results. Once you get this rule, you stop trying to interact with the enviroment and move like a 2d game, but in the same time, it breaks the in game logic and animations so bad it's definately badly implemented. That said, some of the holo rooms are pretty neat.

As for concentration move.. I really dig it. Yes it takes away from fighting common critters, and that's why I avoid them and rush through as fast as I can, although there are times when you can avoid them, but it helps to fight like in the oil refinery near the desert, because it can be a pain if you leave those guys just wandering around. Also, you still get locked door enemy rooms and they make for some interesting moments in boss fights. I don't think it would work appropriatly in a strictly 2d game, but thanks to the depth here, I think it works really well.

John Harker

AniHawk said:
That's Phantoon from Super Metroid

The corridor gauntlet was kind of a cakewalk when I realized I could just screw attack kill mostly everything.

And people are saying Samus isn't a badass in this game...

Hey, you get to play as
ZSS?! sweet

mantidor

GrotesqueBeauty said:
As for health, my main gripe is less that it's too easy on normal difficulty and more that the whole switch to concentration mode/lack of enemy drops was a horrendous decision that added nothing to the experience and sucked a lot of the reward out of fighting common critters as you run around.

Oh I actually really liked the recharge method specially for bosses, instead of relying on drops little enemies had you had to find a somewhat safe spot and hope the recharge was fast enough before the enemy hit you. I found it add to the tension and action of the whole thing. I really can't complain about the combat an action, it was superb.

Kard8p3

KevinCow said:
"Well sure it has a lot of stuff that's terrible but if you can just ignore the terrible stuff then it's awesome."

Fantastic logic.

Who cares if the story is terrible though? It's poorly written but I found it to be entertaining. Still though I don't count story when it comes to rating a game. I rate games based off gameplay only and I loved the gameplay (except for where's waldo) so I'd give it around a 9.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They don't let you skip it, even though the functionality to do so is included in the game. That makes it a measurable part of the experience.

Granted, I didn't find it anywhere near as offensive as some of the boneheaded design decisions.

Kard8p3

Rez said:
They don't let you skip it, even though the functionality to do so is included in the game. That makes it a measurable part of the experience.

There are plenty of games with equally bad or worse stories where you can't skip on a first playthrough. If I took game stories into consideration when rating a game almost all games would be knocked a bit because there's no genuinely good game story out there. That's why a story has no effect on what I think of a game.

Edit: Which design choices didn't you like? The only thing that bothered me were invisible walls. Even then it only bothered me when it came to a certain missile expansion. Outside of that IW never bothered me. The where's waldo sections are bad but they don't take up enough of the game to become anymore than a minor knock.

Just finishing up Super Metroid (about to fight Mother Brain) now and I'll post my impressions of it soon. Great game so far but holy fuck it's short (a little over 4 hours, no guide).

As for the invisible walls section, I can let that go since the levels are holograms inside a spaceship. There were one or two instances about missile expansions where this was really dumb and annoying but for the most part it didn't really bother me.

Kard8p3

effingvic said:
Just finishing up Super Metroid (about to fight Mother Brain) now and I'll post my impressions of it soon. Great game so far but holy fuck it's short (a little over 4 hours, no guide).

As for the invisible walls section, I can let that go since the levels are holograms inside a spaceship. There were one or two instances about missile expansions where this was really dumb and annoying but for the most part it didn't really bother me.

It took me close to 6 hours my first time through super but yeah it is a bit short. However those 6 hours were the best 6 hours I had experienced and subsequent playthroughs have caused me to love it even more. I'm at the point now where I can get 100% with the time of 1:40.

rhino4evr

So i just beat this game..and while I enjoyed the majority of the game, I can't help but feel a little disenchanted by the whole experience. I can see why some think this may be the Death of Metorid. It's te kinda game that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Like the series needs to take a break for awhile..

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Kard8p3 said:
It took me close to 6 hours my first time through super but yeah it is a bit short. However those 6 hours were the best 6 hours I had experienced and subsequent playthroughs have caused me to love it even more. I'm at the point now where I can get 100% with the time of 1:40.

OK, this angers me. It took me almost a year to beat Super Metroid (played it when it first came out). I had around 40 hours in my first play through because I didn't know
You could power bomb the tunnel to enter Maridia and also, run off the edge rather than jumping to get to that top ledge that leads to Lower Norfair
. The heck man, I'm a very smart person too lol. Granted, I also explored the living crap out of that game. If I remember correctly, I believe I was around 90% in my first play through.

It just angers me that seemingly no one else shared my pain. I got so frustrated I stopped playing the game for 6 months. The first day I started back playing, guess what I accidentally did? LOL

Kard8p3

AdroitOne said:
OK, this angers me. It took me almost a year to beat Super Metroid (played it when it first came out). I had around 40 hours in my first play through because I didn't know
You could power bomb the tunnel to enter Maridia and also, run off the edge rather than jumping to get to that top ledge that leads to Lower Norfair
. The heck man, I'm a very smart person too lol. Granted, I also explored the living crap out of that game. If I remember correctly, I believe I was around 90% in my first play through.

It just angers me that seemingly no one else shared my pain. I got so frustrated I stopped playing the game for 6 months. The first day I started back playing, guess what I accidentally did? LOL

Well if it makes you feel any better I played Super Metroid after both Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission so I had a handle on how things worked. I had 80% of the items found my first time through Super Metroid. Yeah though I can understand having trouble with the glass tube. At that point I was just rolling along power bombing everything so I didn't end up having much trouble with it.

Boney

Banned
rhino4evr said:
So i just beat this game..and while I enjoyed the majority of the game, I can't help but feel a little disenchanted by the whole experience. I can see why some think this may be the Death of Metorid. It's te kinda game that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Like the series needs to take a break for awhile..
I don't know man, perhaps it comes down to being my favourite series ever, but I'd love it to have more exposure from here on out, rivaling Zelda, with a few hand held outing and and consoles.

And branching in both directions, the style set up here in Other M and Fusion, but polishing it like crazy, and the whole Super Metroid/ Zero Mision route.

It's a darn shame Japan couldn't give a rat's ass about this one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kard8p3 said:
If I took game stories into consideration when rating a game almost all games would be knocked a bit because there's no genuinely good game story out there.
Utter nonsense. I've been down this path already in this thread. It isn't about literary brilliance so much as it's about believability within the context of the game. Go play Portal for an example of something native to gaming, go play Uncharted 2 for something that follows along a little more closely to the movie->game->movie->game style.

etiolate

Banned
Androit's experience shows the difference between playing Super Metroid at the time and playing it now. Everyone knows the conventions, so its quicker and easier.

Top Bottom