• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Rocket Punch said:
The problem with giving a personality to Samus is even more basic than what you guys make it out to be.

Nobody wants to play as a wimpy videogame character. If you're gonna have your heroine kick all kinds of ass then retreat to a corner to cry people with naturally feel rejection towards her.

You play games to be empowered and obtain control of your environment. It is completely arbitrary to have a character kill the boss, then turn around and realize he/she is filled with insecurites. Wheather people want to accept it, when you play as a videogame character you become that character. You look for affinity in his/her actions. If the character reacts in a way you would disapprove of you feel offended simply because this feeling is imposed on you unwillingly and unnaturally.

Then how do you explain Cloud Strife?

cloud

MechaX

Kard8p3 said:
There be spoilers in this vid.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2015-Metroid-Other-M
I disagree but to each his own.

I liked Other M and I still agree with all of his complaints. I guess it really comes down to how much you let its flaws get to you (understandably, of course).

With that said, this review is really edging me towards getting the Prime Trilogy.

John Harker said:
Then how do you explain Cloud Strife?

Cloud wasn't even all that wimpy in FF7 or either of the KH games. Yeah, he's a wimpy in Advent Children, but there's no game where you play as him when he's in that much of a slump.

Poyunch

Rocket Punch said:
The problem with giving a personality to Samus is even more basic than what you guys make it out to be.

Nobody wants to play as a wimpy videogame character. If you're gonna have your heroine kick all kinds of ass then retreat to a corner to cry people with naturally feel rejection towards her.

You play games to be empowered and obtain control of your environment. It is completely arbitrary to have a character kill the boss, then turn around and realize he/she is filled with insecurites. Wheather people want to accept it, when you play as a videogame character you become that character. You look for affinity in his/her actions. If the character reacts in a way you would disapprove of you feel offended simply because this feeling is imposed on you unwillingly and unnaturally. Miyamoto has been wise in keeping Link silent for so long, I just wish the same had been decided for Samus.
Then what about survival horror? Yes you may kill a boss or so but the whole point of those games is that you're trying to make it out alive. It's not about plowing through everything.

Games are simulators of fantasy. If you want to be a wimpy person or experience hopelessness and fragility then you'll be able to find a game that fits that category.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Rocket Punch said:
Cloud was a non-established character.

How is Cloud being established or not relevant if all that matters is people wanting to play super empowered bad-asses with brass balls and steel tits?

mantidor

Kaijima said:
Forget Cloud Strife. What about... Luigi?

Well I remember Luigi's Mansion not being recieved with open arms. And that's the only game in which he was the main character.

But that's beside the point, Samus was a bounty hunter who blew up planets, of course the majority of fans are going to reject someone weak filling that role.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing a silent Samus ever again.
I'm not saying she has to be completely silent though. I'm just saying they should make her talk less and when she does talk, make it better and have more impact. This is a character who walks around by herself in a space suit. Who is she going to be talking to during this time? I suppose some people will argue all of that time alone has made her crazy and now she's talking to herself. Actually, if they could work that in, it might work if it were done right. What we have in Other M just doesn't work right though.

John Harker said:
Look, I'd agree with you (and others who push this point harder) if Metroid has had a series of games with the next gen graphical ability to properly portray emotion. Several game series have had this. Hell, even Link has had this. However, Samus has not benefitted from this. You can thonestly tell me you got enough of a read on the feelings and emotions of Samus' physical actions coming out of Metroid and Super Metroid. Metroid you didn't even know it was a woman! She had her helmet on nearly the entire time in both games. Are you basing your conclusions on her emotions via her physical reactions during Smash Bros? C'mon... Prime would have been perfect, but being First Person, you are limited to a walking statue tank. You see her eyes, yes, but I'd argue you see sadness in them more than calm, cool, ruthlessness which everyone seens to want Samus to be.

Normally, I completely agree with you. In many game series, a silent protagnist is easily enough identafiable based on their facial reactions or body movements, and in older games, their written dailgioue or their 2D portrait portrayels. However, Samus has had none of this. So most of it is in fans heads. Other M gave a voice, and like it or not, it's what was always going on in Samus's head - or so says her father anyway.
I don't see what difference next gen graphics would make in this. Better graphics don't necessarily mean it's going to portray emotions better. They've been portraying them just fine with 2D sprites. And yes, I think it's had a bigger impact by her being mysterious. Like you said, no one knew she was a woman, but the second that was discovered it made people think. They started formulating their own opinions and in doing so transferred their feelings into her. I didn't need to see the look on her face to know she was scared shitless of SA-X in Fusion without her full powers. Slowly thru the game you would gain more confident in facing it though. That's portraying emotion and it's putting the players feelings into the game. Unless the can get a voice actor to convince me she's scared, it's not needed.

Johann

MadOdorMachine said:
I think you're missing the entire point of the argument. The Metroid series has always portrayed a sense of emotion. The thing is, the player put their own feelings into the character because Samus was for the most part silent. That doesn't mean she should never talk or that a story shouldn't be present. What I'm saying is that people will always be more connected with something when they can either put their own feelings into it (like some music) or the story is told in an Oscar caliber way, for example Forest Gump. I'm pretty sure everyone felt sad when Jenny died in that movie. The point is, they failed on both of these attempts with Other M. They need to get it right, so the best solution in my mind is to keep the voice acting to a minimum and whenever she does talk, make sure that the translation is coherent and that the actor is portraying the correct emotion. The fact that you agree with me on the point that story is terribly written when you previously called me out on not speaking for the fans is bit puzzling though.

Players having preconceived ideas of Samus shouldn't prevent Nintendo from creating a compelling personality for Samus.

For example, in the Wing Commander games, Christopher Blair successfully transitioned from a mostly silent protagonist into a well liked character with his own personality. In the original Wing Commander, he spoke very little and acted like a 'by the book' soldier. From Wing Commander 2 onwards, he became more talkative with a distinct and rash personality. Wing Commander succeeded since this characterization was in line with the progression of the story and Blair's character arc. More importantly, it did not contradict he previous games. Mark Hamill's memorable performance in Wing Commander 3 and 4 as Blair is among the few highlights during the ill-begotten FMV era of gaming. It also helped that the gameplay and cinematic presentation was a natural progression from the first game.

Just because the writing and direction is so astonishingly bad doesn't mean that Samus can't have a well-written, well-received canonized personality.

Kard8p3

If they can't get team ninja back for a sequel in this style you know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see Sakamoto a crew work together with Retro to make Metroid 5. It's obvious at this point that both R&D1 and retro can make amazing metroid games so both working together to bring the next game in the series could be amazing. We'd get the great artstyle and first person gameplay from retro and the sleek fast paced third person gameplay from sakamoto and crew.

The hero setup is there. She's an intergalactic bounty hunter with weapons up the wazzo. bombs, missiles, multiple beams upgrades, power missiles, power bombs, etc. She's no rookie police officer with 7 bullets in her gun or otherwise.

The character of the hero however is lacking. She's not supposed to be an intergalactic cry-baby.

Samus Aran has been betrayed by Sakamoto, her dignity must be restored.

heringer

Kard8p3 said:
If they can't get team ninja back for a sequel in this style you know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see Sakamoto a crew work together with Retro to make Metroid 5. It's obvious at this point that both R&D1 and retro can make amazing metroid games so both working together to bring the next game in the series could be amazing. We'd get the great artstyle and first person gameplay from retro and the sleek fast paced third person gameplay from sakamoto and crew.
Well, apparently Retro is doing allright with 2.5D, so maybe a 2.5D Metroid made by Retro and Sakamoto?

Poyunch

Rocket Punch said:
The hero setup is there. She's an intergalactic bounty hunter with weapons up the wazzo. bombs, missiles, multiple beams upgrades, power missiles, power bombs, etc. She's no rookie police officer with 7 bullets in her gun or otherwise.

The character of the hero however is lacking. She's not supposed to be an intergalactic cry-baby.

Samus Aran has been betrayed by Sakamoto, her dignity must be restored.
Except Samus isn't that. Besides the Ridley moment, Samus has basically been shown to be mature and adult about everything.

"Oh man she has emotions. Fuck that."

It's silly. She was very professional in this game.

Kard8p3

heringer said:
Well, apparently Retro is doing allright with 2.5D, so maybe a 2.5D Metroid made by Retro and Sakamoto?

Yeah that could work great too. I'd just really like to see the two work together to bring a Metroid game. I could imagine a 2.5D game with boss battles taking place in full 3D. Also while I'm not a fan of scanning I'd like some system to be implemented so I can see the names of the enemies.

Continued playing Corruption, and whereas before, I thought it was really just x-files masturbation - I see the attraction now. Granted, everyone was saying that Metroid is all about the solitude, brah, but when you have a massive bio-brain giving you objective updates - it's no different than Other M's Adam moments.

This game has so much ball physics and mechanized movement, it's more about affecting the environment than Other M is.

But there is one pivotal problem with that.. the pacing... The primes are more about thinking things out whereas Other M is about non-stop action. I would normally say, take the intellectually stimulating property (isp), but the game gets very redundant after a while. And the amount of time I've wasted navigating Cloud city is unforgiveable.

Definitely, gonna have to give the nod to Other M on this one. Echoes was altogether monotonous and pretty crappy on the whole, so I'll be going to the original prime next to see how it stacks up to Other M.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MechaX said:
I liked Other M and I still agree with all of his complaints. I guess it really comes down to how much you let its flaws get to you (understandably, of course).

What complaints?

He doesn't even talk about the game for like half of the video

Just makes the same jokes about the same 2-3 plot points everyone complained about before even playing the thing.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Johann said:
Players having preconceived ideas of Samus shouldn't prevent Nintendo from creating a compelling personality for Samus.
It should if the new personality completely flies in the face of what people had generally preconceived at Nintendo's hand.

Kard8p3

When it comes to the personality of samus all I can say is with the exception of Metroid Fusion I always saw samus as nothing. She was always an absolute blank to me so giving her this personality in Other M didn't bother me. She seemed like a slightly less mature version of samus from Fusion which makes sense since the events of this game helps her to grow into her Fusion self.

MechaX said:

There's a good game in there somewhere. I mean, what's not to like about the basic core of it? It's Metroid. It's just that it's buried under 5 different kinds of awful additions (automation and pointer use) and interruptions (Waldo and story). It's like they felt insecure "just" making a great Metroid game and felt they had to Frankenstein all the other parts onto it, without considering whether any of it actually improved the game.

MechaX said:
With that said, this review is really edging me towards getting the Prime Trilogy.

You're really missing out if you don't. While complaints about it being "tank-like" are valid (vs. 2D Metroid), there's no denying that these games are stellar, and still 100% Metroid.

PounchEnvy said:
Except Samus isn't that. Besides the Ridley moment, Samus has basically been shown to be mature and adult about everything.

"Oh man she has emotions. Fuck that."

It's silly. She was very professional in this game.

I don't know, she came across as a spiteful teenager to me. The whole Adam authorization thing seemed more like her acting childishly stubborn than Adam having a problem with her abilities. He said not to use dangerous weapons without his say-so, specifically Power Bombs.

But there's actually not a lot of dialog with Samus in the present; most of it occurs in the "I used to be so childish" flashbacks. I think they were trying to make her present self seem mature by contrast. I guess it worked on you, but it sure didn't work for me.

mantidor

Chopperman said:
What complaints?

Just makes the same jokes about the same 2-3 plot points everyone complained about before even playing the thing.

Well the point about Adam was new
his death does seem unnecesary, why not just blow up the entire ship? it's something that was going to be done anyway, is something they don't mind doing in Fusion. Yes they wanted to avoid the federation to get their hands on metroids again, but blowing up the ship would have taken care of that. Maybe it was the posibility of survivors? then again, they don't mind about possible survivors in Fusion. All Adam wanted to do was stop Samus to go into what would have been a suicidal mission because she didn't know metroids were now unfreezable, but after telling her there's no need for his sacrifice.

The biggest plot hole of them all though is why the hell does Samus work again with the federation in Fusion, in sr388 no less, after what happened in Other M?

AniHawk

mantidor said:
The biggest plot hole of them all though is why the hell does Samus work again with the federation in Fusion, in sr388 no less, after what happened in Other M?

money can be exchanged for goods and services

KevinCow

Banned
Johann said:

Well sure but in order for that to work they need to come up with a compelling personality for Samus and not what we were given in Other M.

MechaX

Chopperman said:
What complaints?

Doesn't talk about the... Okay, he doesn't talk about the gameplay until later on in the video, which is true. But the first half of the video is him harping on the storyline. Which, yeah, video game stories are routinely mediocre and all that. But there is a fine-line between a video game with a bad story that does not try to push it in any way shape or form (the console Ninja Gaiden games are surprisingly apt examples), and one that tries to push its trainwreck of a story pretty strongly like Other M tries to (where it's extremely out of place in terms of series precedent in the first place). If the latter is true, why shouldn't a critic harp on it?

And... well, gameplay-wise, he complains about the controls and the lack of nunchuck support. I agree to the point where I don't exactly know why they didn't just give us actual... options like some of the notable Wii games out there do. Plus, the D-Pad controls are fine in corridors, but not so fine when platforming in the Cyrosphere and Pyrosphere is a lot harder than it should have been.

He complains about the linearity, I do agree with that somewhat. It's not so much pronounced if you want to look for items and what not (although, it really, really becomes apparent in Hard Mode).

He complains about the first-person aiming system, which I also agree with. At some points, it works fine. At others, (especially on my small TV), there are times where the Wiimote and I have to "agree" on where the cursor should be. And by that point, I'm already under fire.

Leondexter said:
You're really missing out if you don't. While complaints about it being "tank-like" are valid (vs. 2D Metroid), there's no denying that these games are stellar, and still 100% Metroid.

I have already finished all of the Prime games, but I did like the Wiimote controls for MP3 a lot, and it definitely would provide some replay incentive. But it seems like the popular thing to do after Other M right now is to run through the Prime games again.

mantidor said:

The game actually tip-toes around that a little bit. But it also creates another problem.
Since it was just a rogue cell of the Federation, Samus probably didn't consider it all that representative. ... Although, when considering that the normal part of the Federation sent the Deleter who attempted to or successfully wiped out almost all of Adam's team including Samus, I'm still surprised on why she would work with them on that basis either.

Plus, Samus's surprise in Fusion about the prospect of
cloning metroids (without the ice-resistance)
makes her seem like a dope in retrospect.

Kard8p3

MechaX said:
Plus, Samus's surprise in Fusion about the prospect of
cloning metroids (without the ice-resistance)
makes her seem like a dope in retrospect.

Samus doesn't act surprised about the metroid lab in fusion.

etiolate

Banned
Look, I'd agree with you (and others who push this point harder) if Metroid has had a series of games with the next gen graphical ability to properly portray emotion

You don't need greater technology to convey emotions.

AniHawk

etiolate said:
You don't need greater technology to convey emotions.

Video games are art. They're practically movies (the really good ones anyway). They need to look as realistic as possible. I think the main issue really is that the Wii was used. My minimum standards are PSP levels of visuals so the Wii doesn't quite cut it. Metroid Other M on the PSP or even 3DS (if they have to) would've made for a much better story.

beef3483

hatchx said:
But MY reaction was her reaction. It was immersion!

Why do games have to be like movies? Why do the characters have to have depth?

I always liked that about games. It was a situational plot rather than a character driven plot. When I play Half-Life or Fallout I say 'what's happened to this world?'. When I play Metroid I say 'what is the history of this species, what happened to this planet?'. When I play Zelda I say 'Why is the moon falling? What is ****ing up the world this time?'.

Games can have stories, but I think it best not to make them character-driven. The characterization in Final Fantasy or MGS is putrid. Even a game like Uncharted is very light around the edges.

It's just better when they didn't try. It's about the gameplay experience above all else.

My thoughts in a nutshell. IMO the best game plots feature the world itself as the main character.

mantidor

AniHawk said:
money can be exchanged for goods and services

The deleter, send by the federation, was supposed to kill her too. Even the most souless, morally empty bounty hunter would limit her clients to the ones who don't want her dead.

Well, but now I remember in the ending the general guy from the federation arrives and congratulates Samus for a job well done and tells her to get lost, but no attempt to silence her and what she found out in the bottle ship, so what the hell? and they let Anthony live too? it really is one of the most absurd, contradicting stories in any video game, and thats saying a lot.

AniHawk said:
Video games are art. They're practically movies (the really good ones anyway). They need to look as realistic as possible. I think the main issue really is that the Wii was used. My minimum standards are PSP levels of visuals so the Wii doesn't quite cut it. Metroid Other M on the PSP or even 3DS (if they have to) would've made for a much better story.
True i agree with everything in this post, plus i would like to add that putting the other m on the most powerful pc in existence would have cause the story to practically be on the level of the greats such as god father etc. it such a shame that nintendo missed such on opportunity, the more i play the game on the wii the more i think the story would be much better with some more bump mapping, bloom, aa, af etc.. really sad to see nintedo butcher the story by putting it on the wii.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
:lol

Bizzyb

Banned
Rocket Punch said:

You play games to be empowered and obtain control of your environment. It is completely arbitrary to have a character kill the boss, then turn around and realize he/she is filled with insecurites. Wheather people want to accept it, when you play as a videogame character you become that character. You look for affinity in his/her actions. If the character reacts in a way you would disapprove of you feel offended simply because this feeling is imposed on you unwillingly and unnaturally. Miyamoto has been wise in keeping Link silent for so long, I just wish the same had been decided for Samus.

I'm pretty sure in both Solid Snake and Naked Snake also showed that they had insecurities and weakness yet I never recalled anyone complaining about them. It's like women in video games don't get a fair shake. They have to either be balls to the wall Hardcore or it's a no go.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't believe I'm stuck. Help?

I don't my Wii near me right now, so I don't really remember the correct names, but the puzzle is to shoot charged beam at this little yellow rounds, so to make water flow and have the platforms move higher.
I actived the one at the end of the section that looks like a dam wall (also I activated the one on the left side of the level and the one under water), but even if I can reach that wall now it's not like you can grab onto it and I don't know where to go.
What to do?

Dash Kappei said:

I don't my Wii near me right now, so I don't really remember the correct names, but the puzzle is to shoot charged beam at this little yellow rounds, so to make water flow and have the platforms move higher.
I actived the one at the end of the section that looks like a dam wall (also I activated the one on the left side of the level and the one under water), but even if I can reach that wall now it's not like you can grab onto it and I don't know where to go.
What to do?
jump to the other side of the wall, stay on the platform and when it's going up, time your jump to make it to the other side of that wall closest to you and start wall jumping. The wall youre trying to jump onto that you cant right now should be on the left hand side when youre wall jumping.

Dash Kappei said:

What to do?

Did you make the water rise and fall on its own? There are 3 switches, IIRC, and once they're all hit (mainly that last one) the water levels will rise and fall to a rhythm, allowing you to jump behind the far wall and wall jump between the rocky platform behind it and the wall's backside.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
hikarutilmitt said:
Did you make the water rise and fall on its own? There are 3 switches, IIRC, and once they're all hit (mainly that last one) the water levels will rise and fall to a rhythm, allowing you to jump behind the far wall and wall jump between the rocky platform behind it and the wall's backside.

Yeah, 3 switches and water rise and fall in a timed fashion.
I'll try to see what did I do wrong, because when I tried to walljump Samus just didn't slide as she should normally do when you can actually walljump a wall but she just kept falling (like she does when the wall is just a level/room barrier.)

MindCollizion said:
jump to the other side of the wall, stay on the platform and when it's going up, time your jump to make it to the other side of that wall closest to you and start wall jumping. The wall youre trying to jump onto that you cant right now should be on the left hand side when youre wall jumping.

Oh, maybe I see what I was doing wrong... do I need to go on the other side under water and wait for the platform to rise, then walljump? No that can't be it since you can't get on the farthest platform if you're under water... anyway I'll try and look better now that you guys have told me

AniHawk said:
Keep going guys, and you can make this the biggest wii-related thread on the site. It's already bigger than SMG2's and TP's. Just MP3's and SMG's to go.

etiolate, you're doing a bang-up job.

How big was SSBB's? And why was MP3's so big?

AniHawk said:
:lol :lol

Yeah too bad it's not on PSP!

AniHawk said:
Thank God. Someone to finally cut through all the fanboy BS and get to the real truth of the matter.

AniHawk

Lone_Prodigy said:
How big was SSBB's? And why was MP3's so big?
The official thread for Brawl was 11k. I don't know why MP3's was big, but this one's not far from it.

However, I totally forgot about SSBB's dojo update thread, which has 60k replies. So that's by far the biggest wii-related thread on the site.

Basically, I had totally forgotten there was a video game called Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Thanks a lot.

AniHawk said:

...:lol...Um, no. Visuals in a video game =/ art.

Attackthebase said:
...:lol...Um, no. Visuals in a video game =/ art.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Memories from distant threads came rushing back. I was so naive. Naive and a junior member. I wasn't prepared to accept Anihawk's sarcasm, despite the tag bestowed upon him by the federation of moderators...

mantidor

Mudkips said:
IGN's got some gripping journalism going on today...

Killing Samus
How Metroid: Other M ruined gaming's greatest heroine.

Manbaby tears to the tune of "I thought I was playing Master Chief with tits, not a human being.".

It has been discussed before.

What I didn't notice though, was that this article was written by a woman. The same in G4, I guess it's womanbaby tears then? It's interesting anyway, you all jump to the conclusion that anyone who doesn't like this new Samus is just another internet white knight but that's obviously not the case. I personally agree with many of her points.

Top Bottom