• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

linkboy said:
I'm stuck trying to find one item.

Its in the room where
lizard ridley sheds his skin
. I've looked up and down in that room and can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know how to get it.

I have a bit of trouble with this one before I realised what to do.

I'm not going to ruin the solution, so here's a few hints.

Think about the room before it. Think about what kind of room it is. Use that to your advantage since it'll help you figure out what you need to do in the room where the item is.

linkboy

_Alkaline_ said:
I have a bit of trouble with this one before I realised what to do.

I'm not going to ruin the solution, so here's a few hints.

Think about the room before it. Think about what kind of room it is. Use that to your advantage since it'll help you figure out what you need to do in the room where the item is.

Got it, thanks.

Perfect example of one of overthinking something.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I managed to finnish this game
fighting MB, was it me or was MB really easy compared to the metroid queen?, what I wanna ask is going back to the ship is it just a collect-a-thon now or do you have bosses to fight?(is it worth doing i mean), I heard about phantoom is he the only one to fight?

jufonuk said:
I managed to finnish this game
fighting MB, was it me or was MB really easy compared to the metroid queen?, what I wanna ask is going back to the ship is it just a collect-a-thon now or do you have bosses to fight?(is it worth doing i mean), I heard about phantoom is he the only one to fight?

yeah you should definitely do it. itll give you a chance to collect all the items plus some cool stuff happens.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I beat the game the other day and overall I really liked it. I thought it cribbed just the right amount from Dead Space with the over the shoulder segments and I liked the first person view, even if if got a bit fiddly at times. The story I thought was fairly decent for a video game, though it fumbled
Adam's sacrifice
somewhat and the boss fights were all great fun and very impressive visually. It was a worthy entry but with lots of room for improvement.

There are only 2 things that really irritated me, both during the end of the game. First, that you are never told about power bombs during the
Queen Metroid
battle. That was a totally bone-headed omission and something I never thought would happen in a Nintendo game in 2010. Mind boggling oversight. Second, the stupid part at the end where you are fighting
those insect things in first person with the Federation soldiers around you
. It was not made clear at all that you were ought to be trying to lock onto MB, so I spent a fair few attempts trying to beat the creatures and dying fairly quickly. Other than that I thought you were always given clear instructions as to where to go or were given enough time to find out for yourself.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ushojax said:
I beat the game the other day and overall I really liked it. I thought it cribbed just the right amount from Dead Space with the over the shoulder segments and I liked the first person view, even if if got a bit fiddly at times. The story I thought was fairly decent for a video game, though it fumbled
Adam's sacrifice
somewhat and the boss fights were all great fun and very impressive visually. It was a worthy entry but with lots of room for improvement.

There are only 2 things that really irritated me, both during the end of the game. First, that you are never told about power bombs during the
Queen Metroid
battle. That was a totally bone-headed omission and something I never thought would happen in a Nintendo game in 2010. Mind boggling oversight. Second, the stupid part at the end where you are fighting those insect things in first person with the Federation soldiers around you. It was not made clear at all that you were ought to be trying to lock onto MB, so I spent a fair few attempts trying to beat the creatures and dying fairly quickly. Other than that I thought you were always given clear instructions as to where to go or were given enough time to find out for yourself.

you might want to spoiler that last part specifics of "last" boss, but I did find out that was what you were meant to do and that fight was over in a few well placed shots

Ushojax said:
Adam's sacrifice

Queen Metroid
battle. That was a totally bone-headed omission and something I never thought would happen in a Nintendo game in 2010. Mind boggling oversight. Second, the stupid part at the end where you are fighting
those insect things in first person with the Federation soldiers around you
. It was not made clear at all that you were ought to be trying to lock onto MB, so I spent a fair few attempts trying to beat the creatures and dying fairly quickly. Other than that I thought you were always given clear instructions as to where to go or were given enough time to find out for yourself.

The end segments (
well, in the main story, not the true ending which kicked ass
) were pretty poor, I agree. Seeing the
Queen Metroid was huge fanservice, but the method of killing her final phase was so poorly implemented. There was no visual cue or anything, and worse yet, using normal bombs killed her in Metroid II as there were no power bombs in that game. So the game even punished veteran Metroid II players.

As for the other part, I didn't have much trouble but I can definitely see how one would.
MB is such a small part of your view that it's very easy to miss her, plus it was never obvious that you were supposed to target MB in the first place. Logic would suggest you have to kill all the enemies first, but they're infinitely respawning and decimate you quickly.

It's the kind of stuff you would never expect to see in a Nintendo game. And it's a shame because many other aspects of the game are so well-implemented and polished, especially some classic Metroid staples that didn't make their 3D conversion until now.

thefro

Just 100%ed it... probably my favorite game in the series even with the flaws. Great gameplay and the best boss fights in the series.

The true ending really puts a nice bow on things.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
thefro said:
Just 100%ed it... probably my favorite game in the series even with the flaws. Great gameplay and the best boss fights in the series.

The true ending really puts a nice bow on things.

Do you have to 100% to get the true ending?

Using the power bomb to kill the Metroid Queen and locking on to MB to end the game are supposed to be 'tricky'. It is intentional that you won't know what to do immediately and that you will die a couple of times before you figure it out.

The use of the power bomb is supposed to be a sort of 'coming of age' moment for Samus, when she breaks through limitations. You use the power bomb in the training session at the beginning of the game, so you should know what it is. There is a cutscene where Adam makes a point of banning Samus from using the super bomb. All through the game, if you try to use the super bomb it charges up almost to the top then cuts out.... like a car engine that's been artificially limited. When you end up in the Metroid Queen's stomach you are in morph ball mode, so there's only a limited number of things you can do...... so there's lots of 'clues' that you're supposed to use the power bomb.... and it sounds like nobody in the thread simply couldn't figure it out and had to stop playing.

If they had of put some text on the screen 'Use your Power Bomb!!' it would have detracted from the effect. The developers wanted the player to experience a 'oh, that's what I'm meant to do' moment at the same time as Samus is supposed to be experiencing a breakthrough moment herself.

You might say that this is not effective.... but putting some text on the screen telling the player what to do would have ruined it; they may as well have done something entirely different.

It's the same with MB. The developers want to trick you into thinking you should be trying to kill the enemies... they want you to experience confusion.... this is just what Samus is feeling at that moment. When you target MB they want you to experience 'Ah ha!'.

Whether or not these moments and the 'Where's Wally' moments are effective is debatable, but the developers have achieved what they wanted...

Rich!

highspeeddub said:
Using the power bomb to kill the Metroid Queen and locking on to MB to end the game are supposed to be 'tricky'. It is intentional that you won't know what to do immediately and that you will die a couple of times before you figure it out.

Superb game design there. Let's kill the player repeatedly before they realise what to do.

I liked the game, but those parts were fucking terrible design.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
richisawesome said:
Superb game design there. Let's kill the player repeatedly before they realise what to do.

yeah , I some times had only two tanks of energy and when I was trying use that attack I swea I couldnt see it charging, I found the second battle to be easier it was only a matter of a few shots once you figure that last part out

richisawesome said:

Plenty of classic games that people love do the same fucking thing. Look at the God of War series. There are plenty of QTEs that if you don't know what to hit you're dead. There are plenty of games too where until you learn the pattern of something you're going to keep dying. Stop bitching when a game gives you something you have to figure out, its why games are getting so much fucking easier and easier and easier.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Shin Johnpv said:
Plenty of classic games that people love do the same fucking thing. Look at the God of War series. There are plenty of QTEs that if you don't know what to hit you're dead. There are plenty of games too where until you learn the pattern of something you're going to keep dying. Stop bitching when a game gives you something you have to figure out, its why games are getting so much fucking easier and easier and easier.
I think this is a little different. It's one thing to die fighting a boss because you didn't figure out the pattern - Megaman I'm looking at you. Also, in God of War you know you're supposed to be doing QTE's so if you die, once again it's your fault. That's not the case with Other M. You're given no clues whatsoever and you just have to figure it out. Obviously there's something wrong if this many people have complained about it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
MadOdorMachine said:
I think this is a little different. It's one thing to die fighting a boss because you didn't figure out the pattern - Megaman I'm looking at you. Also, in God of War you know you're supposed to be doing QTE's so if you die, once again it's your fault. That's not the case with Other M. You're given no clues whatsoever and you just have to figure it out. Obviously there's something wrong if this many people have complained about it.

I think you're right with that being the main issue, in that you couldn't do it beforehand only when you get into that situation, can you perform this... if they kinda let you do it beforehand you would be like ahh cool but they don't.. so how are you gonna find out you can pull it off? it is not the first thing you think of doing when you get into that situation.... ok made it as spoiler free as possible I hope.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
jufonuk said:
I think you're right with that being the main issue, in that you couldn't do it beforehand only when you get into that situation, can you perform this... if they kinda let you do it beforehand you would be like ahh cool but they don't.. so how are you gonna find out you can pull it off? it is not the first thing you think of doing when you get into that situation.... ok made it as spoiler free as possible I hope.
Except that's not the only time it happens. There are several times throughout the game where you encounter these predicaments. You have to wonder if they did any focus testing at all. Trial and error gameplay like this is the worst type imo.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
jufonuk said:

Yeah, this is what is stupid. They needed to introduce the power bomb before the boss, as they have done with every other item that was used against a boss. If some Zelda game suddenly gave you a new item during the final boss without telling you and activated it when your health is being drained rapidly, expecting you to pause the game and navigate to some screen to find out, people would be pissed. It's clumsy design.

MadOdorMachine said:
There are several times throughout the game where you encounter these predicaments.

Are there? I don't remember being any others before the end game, certainly nothing that wasn't in line with previous Metroid games. There has to be some element of puzzle solving, be it environmental challenges or boss routines. I guess there were the Where's Waldo parts but you had infinite time to figure out what to do there. You're health wasn't being drained rapidly.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Ushojax said:
Are there? I don't remember being any others before the end game, certainly nothing that wasn't in line with previous Metroid games. There has to be some element of puzzle solving, be it environmental challenges or boss routines. I guess there were the Where's Waldo parts but you had infinite time to figure out what to do there. You're health wasn't being drained rapidly.
Almost all of the Waldo moments
(one of them while you're fighting Ridley - WTF kind of decision is that?)
the instant death when you had to dodge in the lava level, and definitely one other boss battle that takes place after the one you're talking about.

I never really had trouble with that part. For me, it happened so fast that I was like "wtf" before I died. After I hit "continue" I realized there was only one other option to try and it worked. It's trial and error, and it's not like
they make you redo the whole fight to figure it out.
Instant death is your punishment for failure.

For example, in Shining Force I had an item which I used as often as possible. Once when using it I got a dialog saying "the ring is cracking" yet I kept on using it, only to have it shatter and disappear from my inventory permanently. It was a hard lesson, but I learned not to abuse items from then on.

As for
MB, that took me a little longer, because you had to figure out that the enemies couldn't die (shooting them when recharging does nothing) and that you can't replenish your missiles/heal via Concentration. Again, your options are limited, and eventually you should figure out to shoot the source of the enemies.

Rindain

Banned
Just posting to say that I love this game so far (Just beat the
giant forklift machine
boss.

I was so worried I would hate using the d-pad, but it really hasn't bothered me at all.

I love the action and exploration, and the story is interesting so far. The game does seem less polished than the Prime titles though...but I have to say I might be enjoying this more than most of Echoes.

Rindain

Banned
The first Prime was the best.

Echoes had incredible boss fights (overall best of prime series perhaps), but the dark world was just so unappealing to me. Sanctuary fortress was amazing though.

Rindain said:
The first Prime was the best.

Echoes had incredible boss fights (overall best of prime series perhaps), but the dark world was just so unappealing to me. Sanctuary fortress was amazing though.

The dark world often seems to be the dividing factor. Some hate it, and I can see why, but for me it was brilliantly realised as an evil twin world. It was genuinely oppressive. In fact it was so hostile that going there often brought a feeling of dread, and though some will be quick to say that this is in fact a sign of poor design, I say that it's because Retro achieved their vision beautifully - if anything too well. Plus, any place that has the golden statue music from Super Metroid gets my thumbs up.

For me the strong point of Echoes is the way in which it takes the foundations of Prime and just goes crazy with them. Better puzzles, more complex environments, thicker atmosphere, more attention to detail, better bosses...there's actually not that much that Prime has over Echoes, save for a few things that most would agree on - a more cohesive world (navigation-wise) and less arbitrary design, in particular the somewhat tedious key hunts. And probably music.

Echoes is an incredibly complex game - sometimes too much. But the puzzles, bosses and environments are multi-layered, carefully crafted and incredibly fun to overcome. There's numerous puzzles that take minutes to solve, and they're all fantastic. Prime had its brilliant moments too (let's not forget the Geothermal Core spider ball puzzle!) but Echoes delivers them in spades. Hell, Sanctuary Fortress is basically one giant puzzle. It's the peak of Echoes, but the entire game delivers in my opinion. I'll admit Agon Wastes is a bit pedestrian (though it features some beautiful artistic and alien design), but it also houses the pirate lab as well as the first entry into the Dark World, which is certainly one of the most memorable moments in the series.

Plus it's the only Prime game to feature a countdown and escape sequence. With the NES theme to boot! And no, Hunters doesn't count. Because it's shit.

Rindain

Banned
Echoes is an incredible game for sure. But Prime has Phendrana Drifts, Meta Ridley, and the better final boss fight too.

And the pacing and story of Prime is best in series in my opinion. The Space Pirate writings are amazingly written and often hilarious.

But I can see the argument for Echoes being better...I just thought Prime was more of the quintessential 3D Metroid experience.

Poyunch

Prime 2 has the best bosses (including the final bosses imo), deeper puzzles, a better scanning system, and a way more fleshed out and connected world. I really felt that Aether was much more alive.

Rindain said:
Echoes is an incredible game for sure. But Prime has Phendrana Drifts, Meta Ridley, and the better final boss fight too.

And the pacing and story of Prime is best in series in my opinion. The Space Pirate writings are amazingly written and often hilarious.

But I can see the argument for Echoes being better...I just thought Prime was more of the quintessential 3D Metroid experience.

The lack of Ridley did hurt, although not every Metroid game has to have him. Interestingly Ridley was planned for Echoes but never made it, probably a result of the rushed development it had towards the end.

As for the story, I thought the Luminoth Logs were deep and interesting, and seeing their corpses was a pretty nice touch. I think both games are pretty much level here - I loved Prime's completely silent approach, but I thought the strong focus on story in Echoes was pulled off just fine. As for the Pirate logs, Echoes had the funny ones dude! Don't you remember the ones about Metroid being pets? And them getting confused about two Hunters? :p

Prime is definitely much more 'Super Metroid in 3D without speed or agility' than Echoes, but what Echoes did was just go apeshit with everything Prime laid down. It's Retro Studios are their most creative and unshackled - their neither had to get the core Metroid experience right like they did in Prime nor develop towards a more casual crowd like they did Corruption. Echoes is easily their most complex game.

By the way I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything. I just tend to go on a tangent about these games because they're so damn good. Nothing tops Super though.

The lack of Ridley in Echoes didn't hurt. The fewer Metroids he's in the better. Each time he appears his believability as a threat decreases.

KevinCow

Banned
Green Mamba said:
The lack of Ridley in Echoes didn't hurt. The fewer Metroids he's in the better. Each time he appears his believability as a threat decreases.

You mean you don't feel like a vulnerable child every time he shows up, regardless of how many times you've beaten him in the past?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm glad someone bumped this thread. After playing the Castlevania:LoS for a bit it's made me appreciate what was done right with Other M.

- Controls are responsive. Granted I didn't like the NES style set-up, I can't deny that for the most part the game did exactly what I wanted it to when inputing a command. There were no fighting the controls and when I wanted to shoot, jump, dodge or whatever, Samus immediately did it. Outside of the general uncomfortableness I had with the set up, the only problem I had with controls was the auto aiming in first person. With Castlevania, it's hit or miss. Blocking doesn't always work in a fight and platforming can be cumbersome.

- Grid layout. I see why the developers chose to stick with a d-pad and make all of your movements align to a grid in this game. It's a decision I would like to see improved upon and even copied in future Japanese Castlevania games. It makes aligning with where you want to go a lot easier. Probably one area that could still be fixed for the next Metroid game is adjusting your jump in mid air. I still think these controls would work just fine with an analog stick too. Hopefully next time, they'll include classic controller and/or nun-chuck support.

- Framerate. What a difference this makes after playing Castlevania. It's like a slideshow and is nauseating. I don't care how beautiful a game looks anymore. I'm now of the opinion that framerate is more important than looks. It's too much of a sacrifice to the game to compromise on. Other M had a great framerate imo. Some people complained about it slowing down, but it's something I never noticed.

- Camera. I don't see how anyone can complain about the camera in this game. It works wonderfully and rarely presents a problem. In Castlevania, enemies disappear off the screen, the camera transitions to awkward angles when you're trying to interact with the environment and worst of all, is always shaking. Other M has very smooth camera transitions and you never have to fight it.

I still think Other M has a lot of faults but I admire some of the decisions they made about it a lot more now. I have a feeling Team Ninja might not be making the next one and I think that's a shame. I really like what they brought to the table. It's funny because Castlevania for the most part uses an exact replica of Ninja Gaiden's controls. It just goes to show that they are one of the best action developers in the industry.

pvpness

This game was great start to finish. Fuck the haters, I hope this sells well and I'm looking forward to another like it. There were some annoying bits for sure but nothin that made me not want to continue playing.

So yeah, I've taken a long break from this and recently got back into it.
Unfortunately I've made the startling discovery about IR interference and how it effects this.
Basically our living room is right next to three large windows that let the natural light in during these gorgeous German autumn days.
Because the way our entertainment center is setup, the wiimote ends up being held NES-style with the IR pointer pointing directly at those windows. This basically makes the game unplayable because there's constant interference that ends up making Samus constantly switch to 1st person. Fucking amazing.
We have light curtains for those windows as well, so we can't completely block out the light either.

So so shitty >=(

KevinCow

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
So yeah, I've taken a long break from this and recently got back into it.
Unfortunately I've made the startling discovery about IR interference and how it effects this.
Basically our living room is right next to three large windows that let the natural light in during these gorgeous German autumn days.
Because the way our entertainment center is setup, the wiimote ends up being held NES-style with the IR pointer pointing directly at those windows. This basically makes the game unplayable because there's constant interference that ends up making Samus constantly switch to 1st person. Fucking amazing.
We have light curtains for those windows as well, so we can't completely block out the light either.

So so shitty >=(

How do you hold the Wiimote? I'm trying to imagine how you could possibly hold it sideways in a way that the camera isn't blocked by your hand.

Mael

KevinCow said:
How do you hold the Wiimote? I'm trying to imagine how you could possibly hold it sideways in a way that the camera isn't blocked by your hand.

Hand under the wiimote with just the thumb on the up part fo the wiimote for the dpad?
I got nothing else.

Bear

You could always place something in the way, hold the remote at a different angle (the pointer faces the couch, for example) or just cover it up with your hand. That kind of interference can be annoying, but isn't all that hard to work around.

Well for the most, my hand does block the IR sensor. It's just really aggravating when transitioning into 1st person, as it wigs out when bringing it both out and back in. Throws you off and looks awful. =/

OK, I just finished the game, and I have to say I think it's my GOTY. I absolutely loved it. I've played most of Super Metroid, most of Prime 1 and all of Prime 3, skipped 2. I have the trilogy so I'm gonna go back and play them all.

I loved the storytelling, I thought Samus' dialog was spot on, not cheesy in any way. And the CG cutscenes were absolutely gorgeous, those were a blast to watch. Also the in engine cut scenes I thought looked awesome, they kind of reminded me of the PS2 metal gear games. I just thought it was a really well done game, really fun to play, great story, and great cinemas. It did a great job of keeping me interested the entire way through.

So I have a few questions, I'm not that knowledgeable on the metroid lore, so maybe some of you can help me out:
I was reading the thread and saw that some of you knew that little white creature thing was Ridley, how did you know that? Also is it the same Ridley that killed Samus' parents, or just like a new version of it? Did the researchers create that Ridley somehow, I was confused on that part?

Also now that I can go back in Samus said "I have one more important thing I left behind" what does that mean? Is that just her way of saying I'm free to go 100% it or is there something specific to the story I'm supposed to go back in and find?

Boney

Banned
Great timing on bumping it, I was just listening to the Ridley Theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7O2xeQ7cc

As for your doubts
Well, most of us knew it was Ridley because on the way it looked Samus at the very beggining, and the second phase being so similar. Researchers took all the dna and stuff that was on top of Samus's suit and replicated, at first, they didn't even know that little thing was Ridley, they just thought it was cute. And it isn't the same Ridley that killed her parents, that one is dead, but I believe it has genetic memory, so it knew Samus was a threat and what not.

And get back to the ship, there's an epilogue and a true ending.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TSAGoodness said:
So I have a few questions, I'm not that knowledgeable on the metroid lore, so maybe some of you can help me out:
I was reading the thread and saw that some of you knew that little white creature thing was Ridley, how did you know that? Also is it the same Ridley that killed Samus' parents, or just like a new version of it? Did the researchers create that Ridley somehow, I was confused on that part?

Lucky guesses from people knowing, I assume. His second form closely resembles him though, moreso than the first fuzzy ball of fur. As for how he came to be, Ridley was a clone much like everything in the game. Samus killed Ridley in Super Metroid, and thus his DNA splattered on her suit. The scientists didn't realise it was him though. Essentially they created him. We saw baby Ridley, eventually growing to normal Ridley, but it was a 'new' Ridley.

Also now that I can go back in Samus said "I have one more important thing I left behind" what does that mean? Is that just her way of saying I'm free to go 100% it or is there something specific to the story I'm supposed to go back in and find?

You head back to the ship for a post-credits story sequence that allows you to 100% all the items, fight some new enemies, and 'finish' the story. Its freakin sweet. You dont need to 100% items to 'finish' the post-credits sequence, but it does give you the chance to do so.

KevinCow

Banned
TSAGoodness said:
I loved the storytelling, I thought Samus' dialog was spot on, not cheesy in any way.

157iwyv.jpg

Johnas

I'll finally be starting this game in a couple of days. I bought it at release but Dragon Quest IX has taken all my time.

Definitely going in cautiously optimistic given the overall GAF consensus, but really my hype for it is roughly the same as it was before the game released.

Boney said:
Great timing on bumping it, I was just listening to the Ridley Theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7O2xeQ7cc

As for your doubts
Well, most of us knew it was Ridley because on the way it looked Samus at the very beggining, and the second phase being so similar. Researchers took all the dna and stuff that was on top of Samus's suit and replicated, at first, they didn't even know that little thing was Ridley, they just thought it was cute. And it isn't the same Ridley that killed her parents, that one is dead, but I believe it has genetic memory, so it knew Samus was a threat and what not.

And get back to the ship, there's an epilogue and a true ending.

Ah thanks guys, my next question
what was the second phase of the ridley thing? I only remember seeing it as that cute thing, not seeing it again until Samus explained that it was Ridley? Oh and can I go right to the final boss now to see the true ending, or do I have to get a certain % of the items first?

KevinCow said:

Haha yeah I know some people didn't like it, I don't know though, something about it pulled me in. I was sick today so I stayed home from work and played through it all day, maybe I was just in the right mood and environment, but I absolutely loved the dialog and storytelling.

TSAGoodness said:
Ah thanks guys, my next question
what was the second phase of the ridley thing? I only remember seeing it as that cute thing, not seeing it again until Samus explained that it was Ridley? Oh and can I go right to the final boss now to see the true ending, or do I have to get a certain % of the items first?

The second phase was the creature that attacked you and your group when you were in the exam centre. Interestingly enough it targets you, which suggests that either it perceived Samus as its largest threat or somehow remembered Samus.

Also,
The Ridley you see in Other M is the same Ridley you see in Fusion. After the Queen Metroid sucked it dry, the husk was taken by the GF before the Bottle Ship was destroyed and sent to the BSL. When the X Parasites from SR-388 escaped their containment tube, one took Ridley as a host and it's DNA turned into Neo Ridley (or Ridley X). This is very similar to what happened with Nightmare as well.

Basically it goes like this:

Ridley kills Samus' mother on K-2L when Samus was a child, at the same time Samus' father commits suicide to blow up a Space Pirate vessel containing important materials that they stole from K-2L. Samus eventually gets revenge years later on Zebes, when she invades his lair below Norfair. Ridley is revived using cybernetic enchancements and becomes Meta Ridley, who tries to prevent Samus from destroying the source of Phazon on Tallon IV (Metroid Prime) but fails and it defeated by both Samus and the Chozo spirits that reside in the temple. However, Meta-Ridley is not destroyed and he returns to kill Samus on Norion during a Space Pirate attack led by Dark Samus. He fails to do so, and later on is corrupted by Phazon and becomes Omega Ridley. He protects the leviathan on the Space Pirate Homeworld, but Samus defeats him and thus removes the Phazon seed from the Pirates' home planet. However, once again he is not killed and eventually he returns to his normal organic form, attacks Ceres Space Station and steals the infant Metroid that Samus gave to the scientists for research after the event on SR-388. Samus tracks him down in Lower Norfair and defeats him. This is the official end of Ridley. The DNA from Ridley's death is taken by the GF when they clean Samus' suit whilst she is in hospital. They clone this DNA and manage to create a tiny white creature that they had no idea was Ridley, instead naming it 'Little Birdie.' Little Birdie eventually gains enough strength to escape it's husk and become a lizard form that attacks Samus on the Bottle Ship, but escapes when Anthony fires at it with his plasma gun. Later on Samus notices another husk that has been removed, and soon finds the full form of Ridley. Being certain that Ridley was gone once and for all after his destruction on Zebes, Samus panics and struggles to gain her composure. When Anthony is 'killed' by Ridley, Samus regains her steady mindset and is able to defeat Ridley, but not before he escapes again. Ridley, bleeding profusely after his battle with Samus, is found by the Queen Metroid being kept on the Bottle Ship and is sucked dry, becoming a mere husk. This husk is taken by the GF before the Bottle Ship is destroyed, transported to the BSL and frozen. Samus eventually finds this husk, which crumples before her eyes whilst an x-parasite leaves the body and flees, showing that one of the X-Parasites onboard the BSL infected Ridley's husk (and thus his DNA) when the containment was breached. Later on Samus comes across the rotting husk again, this time unfrozen and it transforms into Ridley X, a x-parasite infected version of Ridley that clones him using his DNA. He's defeated, and that is the last we have seen of Ridley in the Metroid storyline.

_Alkaline_ said:
The second phase was the creature that attacked you and your group when you were in the exam centre. Interestingly enough it targets you, which suggests that either it perceived Samus as its largest threat or somehow remembered Samus.

Also,
The Ridley you see in Other M is the same Ridley you see in Fusion. After the Queen Metroid sucked it dry, the husk was taken by the GF before the Bottle Ship was destroyed and sent to the BSL. When the X Parasites from SR-388 escaped their containment tube, one took Ridley as a host and it's DNA turned into Neo Ridley (or Ridley X). This is very similar to what happened with Nightmare as well.

Basically it goes like this:

Ridley kills Samus' mother on K-2L when Samus was a child, at the same time Samus' father commits suicide to blow up a Space Pirate vessel containing important materials that they stole from K-2L. Samus eventually gets revenge years later on Zebes, when she invades his lair below Norfair. Ridley is revived using cybernetic enchancements and becomes Meta Ridley, who tries to prevent Samus from destroying the source of Phazon on Tallon IV (Metroid Prime) but fails and it defeated by both Samus and the Chozo spirits that reside in the temple. However, Meta-Ridley is not destroyed and he returns to kill Samus on Norion during a Space Pirate attack led by Dark Samus. He fails to do so, and later on is corrupted by Phazon and becomes Omega Ridley. He protects the leviathan on the Space Pirate Homeworld, but Samus defeats him and thus removes the Phazon seed from the Pirates' home planet. However, once again he is not killed and eventually he returns to his normal organic form, attacks Ceres Space Station and steals the infant Metroid that Samus gave to the scientists for research after the event on SR-388. Samus tracks him down in Lower Norfair and defeats him. This is the official end of Ridley. The DNA from Ridley's death is taken by the GF when they clean Samus' suit whilst she is in hospital. They clone this DNA and manage to create a tiny white creature that they had no idea was Ridley, instead naming it 'Little Birdie.' Little Birdie eventually gains enough strength to escape it's husk and become a lizard form that attacks Samus on the Bottle Ship, but escapes when Anthony fires at it with his plasma gun. Later on Samus notices another husk that has been removed, and soon finds the full form of Ridley. Being certain that Ridley was gone once and for all after his destruction on Zebes, Samus panics and struggles to gain her composure. When Anthony is 'killed' by Ridley, Samus regains her steady mindset and is able to defeat Ridley, but not before he escapes again. Ridley, bleeding profusely after his battle with Samus, is found by the Queen Metroid being kept on the Bottle Ship and is sucked dry, becoming a mere husk. This husk is taken by the GF before the Bottle Ship is destroyed, transported to the BSL and frozen. Samus eventually finds this husk, which crumples before her eyes whilst an x-parasite leaves the body and flees, showing that one of the X-Parasites onboard the BSL infected Ridley's husk (and thus his DNA) when the containment was breached. Later on Samus comes across the rotting husk again, this time unfrozen and it transforms into Ridley X, a x-parasite infected version of Ridley that clones him using his DNA. He's defeated, and that is the last we have seen of Ridley in the Metroid storyline.

You're awesome! I think you answered all my questions!
Ugh I'm an idiot, I never made the connection that that purply beast thing was the second phase of Ridley, I just thought that was some random weird creature!
So thanks!

So, I really like this game. It's not perfect, sure, but I love the way that it makes me feel like I'm playing a 2D Metroid in 3D. Not sure if I would like to see a perfected second go at this type of Metroid, however, or if I would just like to see Nintendo do another Sprite-based 2D Metroid.

Top Bottom