• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Tenbatsu

Kard8p3 said:
Also
themanwethoughtweknew.png

Look at the name plate on his shoulder. Everything is a lie.
What?!? Fuck I have been deceived!

Haunted

Why the fuck did she have to call him "deleter" anyway? Sounds so fucking awkward and forced, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking. Fucking Treehouse. Goddamn.

"I decided to call him... the deleter" <- probably the single worst line in the whole game, which is saying a lot.

Tenbatsu said:
What?!? Fuck I have been deceived!
sequel setup confirmed

KevinCow

Banned
Haunted said:
Why the fuck did she have to call him "deleter" anyway? Sounds so fucking awkward and forced, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking. Fucking Treehouse. Goddamn.

"I decided to call him... the deleter" <- probably the single worst line in the whole game, which is saying a lot.

sequel setup confirmed

Awkward and forced dialogue monologue in Metroid Other M? Surely you are mistaken, sir.

Seriously though, don't blame Treehouse. They can only localize it. It's not their fault if the original writing is irredeemably bad. After hearing how Sakamoto forced them to use "the baby" and only "the baby" to refer the last Metroid instead of letting them change it up and call it the hatchling or the infant Metroid like they had in previous games, I'm not willing to put any of the blame on Treehouse.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
KevinCow said:
After hearing how Sakamoto forced them to use "the baby" and only "the baby" to refer the last Metroid instead of letting them change it up and call it the hatchling or the infant Metroid like they had in previous games, I'm not willing to put any of the blame on Treehouse.

Pls give link so I can add to my hate of this man.

Haunted said:

Just one of the many lines in the game that reek of awkward/ridiculous anime dialog.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Freshmaker said:
Aside from Darksiders, there's nothing else that Zelda competes with. It's hardly getting over exposed.
My original post regarding Zelda was to Boney where he said he wanted main Metroid titles to come out more often, as often as Zelda titles. My argument wasn't about Zelda clones or quality of the Zelda games, but the fact that they are all really similar. Even SS isn't straying too much from the formula, which is a good thing imo. They're changing the order you do things and adding motion control (not sure I'm gonna like that, I didn't in TP) but aside from that, it looks to be standard Zelda fare. My whole point is that people are already getting a bit tired of that considering how fast they're releasing titles and the few changes they make to them. I'm saying one game per generation with some DLC would help grow anticipation for the series. Absence makes the heart grow fonder type of deal. I'm also saying that while the gap between main Metroid games has been to long (8 years per title) I don't want to see them take a Zelda approach with so many games that people consider skipping them.

Kard8p3

Rocket Punch said:
Nintendo better keep Sakamoto the hell away from Metroid from now on.

I don't think Sakamoto messed this game up but let's go with this anyway. With the exception of Metroid 2 he's worked on every 2D Metroid. He was the director for the first, Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission. You're saying after all these great games he should be kept away from the series because he messed up once?

Boney

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
I don't think Sakamoto messed this game up but let's go with this anyway. With the exception of Metroid 2 he's worked on every 2D Metroid. He was the director for the first, Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission. You're saying after all these great games he should be kept away from the series because he messed up once?
he's senile

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kard8p3 said:

I chalk up why I like this game to Team Ninja's ability to execute on it in a surprisingly competent fashion. The only vibe I get from Sakamoto is that of an over-protective father who feels the need to correct the world about who his precious daughter is and lord over her after she was raped by westerners for a decade. He can't be trusted with it, he's too emotionally involved. I want to slap him in the face.

Boney

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
mgs2 is the best in the series, real talk

awesome gameplay
no menu bullshit every three seconds
the best incarnation of solid snake
And actual stealth instead of crawling through every piece of the game.

Kard8p3

Tathanen said:
I chalk up why I like this game to Team Ninja's ability to execute on it in a surprisingly competent fashion. The only vibe I get from Sakamoto is that of an over-protective father who feels the need to correct the world about who his precious daughter is and lord over her after she was raped by westerners for a decade. He can't be trusted with it, he's too emotionally involved. I want to slap him in the face.

It's not like he hasn't worked on the series for all that time. Fusion and Zero Mission were just fine and those were made right there with the first two Prime games. I think it has less to do with Sakamoto being over-protective and more to do with him just wanting to see if a cinematic Metroid would work. People should wait to see how he responds to the criticism with the next game before losing faith in him.

Kard8p3 said:

The 2D games are fine but since Fusion he's tried to include unwanted and unnecessary story elements that hinder the games (Zero was luckily left mostly intact as a remake). The transition to 3D has clearly been hard on him, having to look for assistance from an outside developer yet refusing to make concessions for new controls for dubious reasons. The execution of the story in Other M is so poor that I shudder to think what the future would hold for another Sakamoto directed Metroid game.

Boney

Banned
Rocket Punch said:
The 2D games are fine but since Fusion he's tried to include unwanted and unnecessary story elements that hinder the games. The transition to 3D has clearly been hard on him, having to look for assistance from an outside developer yet refusing to make concessions for new controls for dubious reasons.
I think my sarcasm meter is broken.

Kard8p3

Rocket Punch said:
The 2D games are fine but since Fusion he's tried to include unwanted and unnecessary story elements that hinder the games. The transition to 3D has clearly been hard on him, having to look for assistance from an outside developer yet refusing to make concessions for new controls for dubious reasons. The execution of the story in Other M is so poor that I shudder to think what the future would hold for another Sakamoto directed Metroid game.

Before Other M he made Zero Mission and many would argue that it's the best 2D Metroid (yes many like it better than Super.) Just because he went for a more story oriented game this time doesn't mean he'll keep going that way. Many have pointed out that we got Zero Mission because of the criticism of the more story based fusion so there's no reason why it couldn't happen again.

Kard8p3 said:
Before Other M he made Zero Mission and many would argue that it's the best 2D Metroid (yes many like it better than Super.) Just because he went for a more story oriented game this time doesn't mean he'll keep going that way. Many have pointed out that we got Zero Mission because of the criticism of the more story based fusion so there's no reason why it couldn't happen again.

Well then, I'm just doing my job by bitching about my complaints then :)

And yes, in my esteem Metroid Zero Mission is the perfect 2D Metroid game.

Kard8p3

Rocket Punch said:
Well then, I'm just doing my job by bitching about my complaints then :)

And yes, in my esteem Metroid Zero Mission is the perfect 2D Metroid game.

Good let your complaints be known. Sakamoto has already read some Japanese forums and they're even saying they like the style of Super Metroid better. He responds well to criticism and his next game is usually better for it. So don't doubt him till we see what his next Metroid is like. I mean we could potentially get the 3D equivalent of Zero Mission so I think he deserves a second chance.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Kard8p3 said:
It's not like he hasn't worked on the series for all that time. Fusion and Zero Mission were just fine and those were made right there with the first two Prime games. I think it has less to do with Sakamoto being over-protective and more to do with him just wanting to see if a cinematic Metroid would work. People should wait to see how he responds to the criticism with the next game before losing faith in him.

cinematic is not necessarily the problem.

A few well written cut scenes with other additional story telling methods like logs and scanning details would be fine.

other M did good things. not all of it was bad.

Taking the good and combining it with the good of the 2D and prime games would lead to a great game.

apana

I really loved the mother brain cutscene but a lot of the other stuff I dont know. This game just felt strange to me, after the incredible metroid prime experience it was a definite downer. I played it at a friend's house but not for too long. I aint gonna hate, I'll come back to it at some point. Is it too much to ask for them to just make a 2D metroid with very little story? They can have it be a sidestory so as to not ruin Sakamoto's vision. Maybe they can ask the people who are making Epic Yarn since I dont know who else makes 2D games anymore.

Kard8p3

So I attempted a 100% speedrun of this game last night. I ended up It took me a little over 4 hours (I made plenty of mistakes that I'll need to work on in later runs) but when I looked at the in game time It was just a little over 5 hours. I then realized that even if you skip the cutscenes the game assumes you watched them and adds that to your overall time. I don't know if this had been brought up before now but I think it's a bit strange that they did this.

mantidor

Kard8p3 said:
So I attempted a 100% speedrun of this game last night. I ended up It took me a little over 4 hours (I made plenty of mistakes that I'll need to work on in later runs) but when I looked at the in game time It was just a little over 5 hours. I then realized that even if you skip the cutscenes the game assumes you watched them and adds that to your overall time. I don't know if this had been brought up before now but I think it's a bit strange that they did this.

Really? that is really bad for speedrun fans, when every Metroid game had speed runs in mind before. It's really sad, and baffling, to see Nintendo doing that.

I don't know if I'm jumping to conclusions, but it does seem to me the game was slightly rushed, or the priorities were all messed up, because the game feels so incomplete when compared to any Metroid title in the past.

EDIT:

and now that I was reading about the game breaking bug, it really is a very unpolished title, compared to previous Metroid games of course, because the game itself is easily above average, but the whole thing is just dissappointing.

Boney

Banned
amtentori said:
cinematic is not necessarily the problem.

A few well written cut scenes with other additional story telling methods like logs and scanning details would be fine.

other M did good things. not all of it was bad.

Taking the good and combining it with the good of the 2D and prime games would lead to a great game.
as it stands, adding scanning to the game would've been a horrible addition.

If they'd flesh out the investigation parts, then sure, that could've worked.

I adored all the lore from the Prime series, but full-fledged scanning in Other M would have slowed the pace down way too much. Other M works best when it's hell-for-leather, quick-as-fuck, ninja-like room traversal. Even the first-person exploration stuff slows it down a tad too much at times, though it's practically required to get some of the hidden upgrades.

Kard8p3 said:
There are more than an hour's worth of cutscenes. On top of that, cutscenes don't add into your time.

Even if they did, I don't see how it will affect speed runners.

_Alkaline_ said:
I adored all the lore from the Prime series, but full-fledged scanning in Other M would have slowed the pace down way too much. Other M works best when it's hell-for-leather, quick-as-fuck, ninja-like room traversal. Even the first-person exploration stuff slows it down a tad too much at times, though it's practically required to get some of the hidden upgrades.

Yea, and that's how it should have been for the Primes as well. Going through those games again, scanning the same object multiple times was a huge nuisance and distraction from the main gameplay. There's no denying they should employ this new method for future metroid games - keep scans for key items and hidden artifacts.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
_Alkaline_ said:
Scanning could work if they placed it in areas where the action is slow. A diliberate, skippable change of pace if you will. The problem is that it really only makes sense when Samus is in an isolated environment. It's been a while since I played MP3, but they had cut scenes and scanning. I remember the cut scenes being pretty bad in MP3 as well. It was minimized, but wasn't as ambitious. Scanning would help keep out the internal monolog parts that were so bad though.

If they make another game like Other M, I hope they just stick with the third person sections. That's where the real fun was. The over the shoulder and forced first person boss fights could have been a lot of fun and they polished them out, but a change of pace really isn't necessary for such a short game. The third person sections are for the most part brilliant though. Keep first person for looking around and finding clues and shooting missiles, but also make missiles usable in third person. The game would also work a lot better if they used the classic controller or nun chuck imo.

KevinCow

Banned
dragonfart28 said:
Yea, and that's how it should have been for the Primes as well. Going through those games again, scanning the same object multiple times was a huge nuisance and distraction from the main gameplay. There's no denying they should employ this new method for future metroid games - keep scans for key items and hidden artifacts.

Because they make you scan everything every time you play the Prime games.

dragonfart28 said:

Er...when you play a Prime game again, you hardly need to scan at all. Even on your first playthrough, you don't have to scan all that much if you don't want to.

Kard8p3

balladofwindfishes said:
There are more than an hour's worth of cutscenes. On top of that, cutscenes don't add into your time.

Even if they did, I don't see how it will affect speed runners.

Cutscenes do add to your time. I checked out the speed demos forums and they confirmed it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm playing through it now and while I understand some of the complaints, I think the game is great. Yes, it's linear, but I find Other M's way of doing things much less tedious than some of the previous Metroid games, I think it controls well, while the story isn't that intrusive and is actually quite intriguing. The parts with what I assume is
Ridley
are very well done. They have managed to keep the eerie atmosphere from the previous titles, mixed it with a dash of the 'behind the visor' from Prime and wrapped it up in smooth Team Ninja gameplay while making sure the story is interesting enough to follow for a few minutes here and there.

My only issues are that you have to hold down B to look around in first person (and that there is no quick turn button when in this mode), and that there is too much over-expository internal dialogue from Samus. Outside of her ramblings to herself she hardly says anything, and what she does say is curt and to the point.

Ushojax said:
I'm playing through it now and while I understand some of the complaints, I think the game is great. Yes, it's linear, but I find Other M's way of doing things much less tedious than some of the previous Metroid games, I think it controls well, while the story isn't that intrusive and is actually quite intriguing. The parts with what I assume is
Ridley
are very well done. They have managed to keep the eerie atmosphere from the previous titles, mixed it with a dash of the 'behind the visor' from Prime and wrapped it up in smooth Team Ninja gameplay while making sure the story is interesting enough to follow for a few minutes here and there.

My only issues are that you have to hold down B to look around in first person (and that there is no quick turn button when in this mode), and that there is too much over-expository internal dialogue from Samus. Outside of her ramblings to herself she hardly says anything, and what she does say is curt and to the point.

Was going to come in and say this. Just beat it last night. Now trying to get 100%. I think the FPS segments were the most annoying bits. Especially those "forced" segments, because I just couldn't see what they wanted me to see. I kept wishing it was like Zelda OoT where you could just look in the general direction, instead of trying to find this small "one pixel" spot. But the overall action and gameplay were quite fun.

It's definitely a flawed title, but I think it could make for a greatly improved sequel. I'd love to play it. Keeping X-Play's scathing review in mind, I'm just not seeing the hate. Even all the "OMG SAMUS IS RUINED. HER CHARACTER SUCKS IN THIS. SEXISM WTF?" Maybe she did come off a little sappy and whiny toward the end of the game, but hardly insulting. But then, maybe because I'm a guy and a pretty easy-going one at that. I could understand once scene that people complain about:
the whole 4 confrontations and she NOW seems to freeze up at Ridley.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
hwy guys I am stuck again
the final part of the metroid queen when you get inside her what do i have to do?

nevermind done it :D

mantidor

jufonuk said:
hwy guys I am stuck again
the final part of the metroid queen when you get inside her what do i have to do?
power bomb

They are magically activated and no one tells you, another complain about the game.

MechaX

Pretty much at the closing act of Hard Mode and... wow. This mode really does exemplify the brokenness of Sense Move. Hell, it faces a bit of a paradox at this point. The move is exploitable in the sense that merely tapping the D-Pad will guarantee a dodge 99% of the time (and such is actually preferred when considering that the lack of Accel Charges makes Samus's normal charge beam worthless in most situations). Of course, if the creators gave Sense Move a cool down and/or a separate button like in most action games, Hard Mode would sky rocket to Ninja Gaiden Black/II Very Hard/Master Ninja levels of difficulty when considering each and every boss can OHKO Samus and nearly every enemy can 2HKO Samus.

Pretty... strange on how they decided to handle this. The only real way to get through Hard Mode is to abuse Sense Move, and at that point the fun kinda evaporates in battles when I find it more advantageous to run head long into attacks. Although,
Ridley was pretty annoying. Every time I fought him I got him to a centimeter of life, but he decided to bust out a grab like he was an SNK boss and always killed Samus outright.
But over all, pretty disappointed in this fight. Maybe
Nightmare
will be better.

linkboy

I'm stuck trying to find one item.

Its in the room where
lizard ridley sheds his skin
. I've looked up and down in that room and can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know how to get it.

Top Bottom