• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Shikamaru Ninja is 150% correct. This is a very fun game, and I enjoyed it so much Ive played through it twice so far, and will play through it again some time in the near future. Not as good as Super, or the first Prime, but definitely better than Fusion and RoS.

Kard8p3

Shin Johnpv said:
Shikamaru Ninja is 150% correct. This is a very fun game, and I enjoyed it so much Ive played through it twice so far, and will play through it again some time in the near future. Not as good as Super, or the first Prime, but definitely better than Fusion and RoS.

Definitely good stuff. I was so obsessed with it when it came out the I played through it 8 times and got 100% 7 of those times (can't 100% hard mode.)

evangd007

Sadist said:
It surprised me a lot that the second time in it's more fun.

This time you know where to look in the Where's Waldo sections, so the pacing isn't ruined by the game screeching to a halt when you hit one.

Kard8p3 said:
Definitely good stuff. I was so obsessed with it when it came out the I played through it 8 times and got 100% 7 of those times (can't 100% hard mode.)

Damn thats impressive. I probably would have played through it again, but I've just been so damn busy. I have no gaming time at all right now.

Ledsen

evangd007 said:
This time you know where to look in the Where's Waldo sections, so the pacing isn't ruined by the game screeching to a halt when you hit one.

I never had a problem with those, most of the time they seemed obvious... still didn't make the game good though :/

K' Dash

Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time, makes me sad reading this thread even tho I see there are really good scores for Other M, I have a Wii incoming with this and can only hope that this is one of the many times GAF is wrong about an awesome game.

Ledsen

K' Dash said:
Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time, makes me sad reading this thread even tho I see there are really good scores for Other M, I have a Wii incoming with this and can only hope that this is one of the many times GAF is wrong about an awesome game.

You're in for a real shock if you think this game is anywhere near as good as Super. Everything is worse; the level design is linear "go down this series of corridors and come back" style, the environments are unimaginative, bland and ugly, there is almost NO MUSIC at all (literally), the atmosphere is non-existent and they added a story that's so bad the only thing it accomplishes is ruining Samus as a character. Basically for me as a lifelong Metroid fan (I've 100% all games except II and Echoes and played most of them multiple times) it's a huge disappointment on all levels and barely worth playing through once.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i consider myself a big metroid fan, and haven't even touched it because of all the negativity. pretty lame of me i guess, and i suppose i should reevaluate what sort of fan i am; but still, i get the impression from what i hear about it, from the particular criticisms, that it would just have a detrimental effect on my fandom. i don't know. i'll get to it eventually. i'd almost rather replay the prime series, sad as that is.

jarosh

beelzebozo said:
i'd almost rather replay the prime series, sad as that is.
that's not sad. that's smart.

and i can almost guarantee that you wouldn't enjoy other m much. i know you a little ;) it would seriously surprise me if you liked it.

I finally got and played the game during the last two weeks. I beat it but haven't gotten around to do the post-game yet, hopefully I'll have time to do it in the holidays.

I don't want to go in-depth since I'm rather late to the discussion and most points have been elaborated already.

Pros:
* The few moments where the cutscenes worked it was pretty nice. My inner metroid fan giggled whenever there were some fanservice.

* Sakamoto metroid: And I say this as a huge fan of all 3 prime games. But playing Other M, I could defintely see/feel a difference between Retro's take on the franchise compared to Sakamoto(not saying one is better than the other). The 'feel' of the gameplay(not only the agile Samus) connected me to Super and Fusion. And especially the enemy and Samus' designs felt closer to the older Metroids. So having played 3 great Retro Metroids it felt great to play a fresh Metroid game again.

* Lots of great throwback moments, lots of great bossbattles, the room where the Rinkas appeared was awesome.

* The atmosphere was great throughout most of the game. It really did feel like you were (almost) alone on this huge ghost spaceship and anything could happen around the next corner. I did actually jump a few times.

Cons:
* The story was poor and the narrative way too intrusive for my liking. I consider the story telling/narrative of the original, Super and Prime 1 to be the pinnacle of the franchise, so eventhough I could appreciate the high-budget quality of the cutscenes, they did more harm than good. I do see a potential where it could work though, but I would much rather have a Super Metroid taken to the next level.

* Too linear and too much hand-holding.

* The music, while occasionally woking fine together with the tense atmosphere, was overall pretty underwhelming. No memoral tunes, and almost no remix of classic Metroid music, and while I get what they were trying to do with the underlying music, it was just too subtle for me to enjoy.

Overall:
It was fun to play through, and I'll defintely enjoy playing through the post-game as well, and I'll probably go through it again sometime next year. But as a Metroid game I'm rather disappointed in it. I regard the franchise so high because of the amazing quality of the games, so when Other M, while being ok, comes with one flaw too many, it's really unfortunate. Considering how big the potential was for this game, makes it even worse imo.

I hope that Sakamoto learnt a lot from the project and delivers big time for the next Metroid.

beelzebozo said:
i consider myself a big metroid fan, and haven't even touched it because of all the negativity. pretty lame of me i guess, and i suppose i should reevaluate what sort of fan i am; but still, i get the impression from what i hear about it, from the particular criticisms, that it would just have a detrimental effect on my fandom. i don't know. i'll get to it eventually. i'd almost rather replay the prime series, sad as that is.
Same. I was pessimistic about the direction of the game even before it released and everything i've read since it came out just turned me off trying it out. I'll probably end up renting it at some point out of curiosity.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jarosh said:
that's not sad. that's smart.

and i can almost guarantee that you wouldn't enjoy other m much. i know you a little ;) it would seriously surprise me if you liked it.

were i any less busy, i'd have probably succumbed out of curiosity by now. but a game designed seemingly from the ground up to be antithetical to what i like about the series in the first place certainly doesn't inspire me to go out of my way to make the time for it, haha. it may be an extreme comparison, but i almost feel like the devoted star wars enthusiast who has only seen the original trilogy, has seen his friends' memories of it sullied by the prequels, and now must choose whether to subject himself to them at all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I like this game. But in the same ways I kind of hate it. I had fun playing the other day.

hatchx

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Regardless, Metroid: Other M is a very ambitious project.Yes, Metroid Prime was an excellent piece of software but it also wasn’t treading any unfamiliar waters. It is in essence, taking the Metroid concept and applying it to a tried and true first-person shooter archetype. Ultimately, I felt Samus lost much of her abilities in the transition. The same engine could have been used and delivered an awesome Robocop game, that’s how mobile Samus felt to me in the “Prime” games. Her acrobatics and platforming were lost in the translation. I wish people spent more time discussing how cumbersome and frustrating the gameplay of Metroid: Other M is. I mean, that is, and should be the main discussion point. But I feel that gets overshadowed in favor of internet banter over Samus experts discussing the imposing rules they have on the “story of Metroid” against the creator’s wishes. Sakamo wanted the game 2.5 dimensional and accessible to anyone with the Wii remote, but Hayashi’s compromise found us playing a 3D space with a D-pad, with one of the most awkward first-person shooter pointer functions ever. Not too mention the level design from Team Ninja felt empty and uninspired. It’s a good game that is flawed; an ambitious game that needed more time in the oven. A game that will forever be lured of controversy and arguments amongst video game debaters.

I totally disagree. There is nothing quite like the Metroid Prime Trilogy. It's the perfect hybrid of first person action, adventure, and old school gaming. There is absolutely nothing quite like it, most first person games (most games PERIOD) have become extremely linear. I can hardly think of a first person shooter with huge bosses to kill. Metroid Prime stands in a league of its own, and I don't know if it will ever be topped.

jarosh

beelzebozo said:
were i any less busy, i'd have probably succumbed out of curiosity by now. but a game designed seemingly from the ground up to be antithetical to what i like about the series in the first place certainly doesn't inspire me to go out of my way to make the time for it, haha. it may be an extreme comparison, but i almost feel like the devoted star wars enthusiast who has only seen the original trilogy, has seen his friends' memories of it sullied by the prequels, and now must choose whether to subject himself to them at all.
the game's just so dull. sure, there's the abominable, laughable writing and storytelling, but that's not the game's biggest problem. the level design is as boring and repetitive as it gets. there is NOTHING to discover or explore beyond the most superficial extra nook or room with pickups.

i have pointed this out before, but anyone comparing the linearity of this game to metroid fusion is nuts. fusion gave you objectives but beyond that you were free and especially toward the end HAD to find out what to do next, you HAD to explore, figure out what was going on, you were left to your own devices throughout most of the game. beyond the minor intrusions of cutscenes and mission briefings you still had to find out how to get past obstacles yourself, still had to almost every single time figure out HOW to get to your objective; the most obvious path always turned out to be the wrong one, so there were subtle hints in the environment to help you figure out an alternate path.

other m is almost painfully straightforward on the other hand and the cutscenes, the mission briefings etc., being such an annoying and ever present intrusion, just serve to highlight how little you actually do outside of running down repetitive corridors and fighting samey battles in locked down rooms with superficial and limited mechanics that boil down to mashing the win/dodge-button. the first person mechanic is nonsensical and awkward, the permission based upgrades FUCKING STUPID, the over-the-shoulder sections entirely pointless and devoid of atmosphere or tension because YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE NO ENEMIES SINCE YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT, the first person detective sections needn't be mentioned or discussed again, everyone agrees how nonsensical and needlessly frustrating they are - let's not even talk about the problem with the final boss again, which involves a mechanic that goes against every principle of game design and against every (stupid) rule the game itself had established at that point.

other m is forgettable. even the brief moments of fun i had with it i've already forgotten. i can hardly remember a thing about it. but i can instantly name you more than a handful of memorable moments and sections out of every metroid game prior to this one that give me this tingling feeling and make me wanna replay the games right away.

Mael

beelzebozo said:

That's an harsh analogy for the star wars prequel but apt...

jarosh said:
other m is forgettable. even the brief moments of fun i had with it i've already forgotten. i can hardly remember a thing about it. but i can instantly name you more than a handful of memorable moments and sections out of every metroid game prior to this one that give me this tingling feeling and make me wanna replay the games right away.
You must not be very perceptive if you can't remember ANYTHING about Other M. The implementation of the speed booster and spineshark alone justify its existence. I can instantly recall several larger rooms from each of the three main areas in Other M which were extremely well designed and required you to do something clever or memorable to make your way through, and also had secondary paths within the same room which had to be revisited later on and led to secrets or alternate areas and required even more ingenuity to get through. The high points of Other M were on the same level as that of the Metroid Prime games, they were just fewer and farther between.

nincompoop said:
You must not be very perceptive if you can't remember ANYTHING about Other M. The implementation of the speed booster and spineshark alone justify its existence. I can instantly recall several larger rooms from each of the three main areas in Other M which were extremely well designed and required you to do something clever or memorable to make your way through, and also had secondary paths within the same room which had to be revisited later on and led to secrets or alternate areas and required even more ingenuity to get through. The high points of Other M were on the same level as that of the Metroid Prime games, they were just fewer and farther between.

I can side with this to an extent, though I do think Jarosh has a point in that the game sometimes feels empty and uninspired.

That said, the excellent boss fights, countless moments of fanservice, the entire gravity section, the debut of the 3D booster and shinespark, the excellent space jump and screw attack, the escape sequence...there are plenty of memorable moments in Other M.

It also does a lot of things poorly, I've talked about this game and its problems at length already though so no need to discuss that again. But I certainly wouldn't say it's not a memorable experience.

Boney

Banned
*peeks in*

Hmm this isn't anything like Super. Just like Prime isn't anything like Super, unless you're one of those weird crazy guys that think Prime is Super in 3D.

mantidor

Boney said:
*peeks in*

Hmm this isn't anything like Super. Just like Prime isn't anything like Super, unless you're one of those weird crazy guys that think Prime is Super in 3D.

Besides perspective how is the first Prime not Super?

mantidor said:
Besides perspective how is the first Prime not Super?

It's half and half. Item progression, atmosphere and presentation are certainly based around Super, but it lacks the verticality of Super's level design as well as its brisk movement and pacing.

Certainly Retro got most of the core elements right though.

Boney

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
It's half and half. Item progression, atmosphere and presentation are certainly based around Super, but it lacks the verticality of Super's level design as well as its brisk movement and pacing.

This man gets it. Not sure if I agree regarding the Item progression, since every item is basically separated from each other, disjointing Samus.

I think Other M gets the other half of map design correct, with fast traversing and weaving upon itself.

Too bad none of the 3D games are as good as the 16bit/32bit Metroids.

Mael

Boney said:
This man gets it. Not sure if I agree regarding the Item progression, since every item is basically separated from each other, disjointing Samus.

I think Other M gets the other half of map design correct, with fast traversing and weaving upon itself.

Too bad none of the 3D games are as good as the 16bit/32bit Metroids.

Huh the weaving upon itself part is certainly better pulled off in Prime than Other M.
Since the whole game is so devoid of choice in where to progress (lockd doors and all that) you could have been traversing copies of the same rooms for all that mattered.
The protagonist's agility is certainly closer to it's 2d (better) cousins.

And really the Prime games are certainly better than Fusion at least, Retro at least had the decency to leave to the player on whether or not they want to be lead by the hand like a child.

As a side not, Super Metroid is also not exactly perfect in how it should represent a Metroid game (if you take the first 3, it's certainly the most safe game of the original trilogy)

Boney

Banned
Mael said:
Huh the weaving upon itself part is certainly better pulled off in Prime than Other M.
Since the whole game is so devoid of choice in where to progress (lockd doors and all that) you could have been traversing copies of the same rooms for all that mattered.
The protagonist's agility is certainly closer to it's 2d (better) cousins.

And really the Prime games are certainly better than Fusion at least, Retro at least had the decency to leave to the player on whether or not they want to be lead by the hand like a child.

As a side not, Super Metroid is also not exactly perfect in how it should represent a Metroid game (if you take the first 3, it's certainly the most safe game of the original trilogy)
As we've shared before, you value open design and choice of traversing very highly, while I'm not particularily attracted because more often than not, it makes poor level design (to me). That's why I think Fusion's design is much more elegant than any of the Prime games. Straight forward with enough items and secrets thrown around. I think the original Prime is basically design as a long hallway with a few branches with the exception of Chozo Ruins which has alternate routes, but I feel it's to big compared to Samus' slow walking speed. Prime 2 although incredibly designed around complex puzzles, is even worse at fast traversing. And let's not talk about Prime 3 and completely cutting of the different areas and relying on docking bays to move around.

And I do think Super Metroid is still the perfect representation of the franchise even though Zero Mision refined the concept 10 years later. It's a good compromise on the open endness of the original one, while making traversing much less confusing and a better map design (and abilities) overall.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to what we value more about the franchise, which in the old days, catered to us both perfectly, but now completely chooses one side and ignores the other. (for the record, I like all 3 Prime games)

Mael

Boney said:
As we've shared before, you value open design and choice of traversing very highly, while I'm not particularily attracted because more often than not, it makes poor level design (to me). That's why I think Fusion's design is much more elegant than any of the Prime games. Straight forward with enough items and secrets thrown around. I think the original Prime is basically design as a long hallway with a few branches with the exception of Chozo Ruins which has alternate routes, but I feel it's to big compared to Samus' slow walking speed. Prime 2 although incredibly designed around complex puzzles, is even worse at fast traversing. And let's not talk about Prime 3 and completely cutting of the different areas and relying on docking bays to move around.

And I do think Super Metroid is still the perfect representation of the franchise even though Zero Mision refined the concept 10 years later. It's a good compromise on the open endness of the original one, while making traversing much less confusing and a better map design (and abilities) overall.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to what we value more about the franchise, which in the old days, catered to us both perfectly, but now completely chooses one side and ignores the other. (for the record, I like all 3 Prime games)

Well you won't see me arguing this since I pretty much agree on most of it.
I'd say actually Prime serie is build around one of the aspect of Super Metroid more than Metroid 1 or 2.
I mean they were highly experimental games back then and one could have been lead to expect more of Super Metroid than what we did get (for example the game being far too easy compared to its older brothers).

I'm still not comfortable with the way the map has been integrated in SM and the games following it...
But still even the lowest poing before 2009 I can't say that the game are anything but good games warranting playing and replays.

HYDE

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

And lack of Super's bosses (especially Kraid).

hatchx said:
I totally disagree. There is nothing quite like the Metroid Prime Trilogy. It's the perfect hybrid of first person action, adventure, and old school gaming. There is absolutely nothing quite like it, most first person games (most games PERIOD) have become extremely linear. I can hardly think of a first person shooter with huge bosses to kill. Metroid Prime stands in a league of its own, and I don't know if it will ever be topped.
Agreed. I haven't played MoM yet (will probably pick it up cheap next year) but I can't take this guy seriously if those are his thoughts on the Prime series.

Garcia

4 hours in and I just have to say:

This isn't a Metroid game. It's a fucking rail shooter.

Edit:

Finished it...

Why did it all of a sudden turn into a somewhat true Metroid game as soon as the credits quit rolling !?! There's something seriously wrong with the overall design of the game. I'll rant on that later, gotta get some sleep.

Azure J

You know, I can't do the multiple posts on a given game in their OT thread as well for this game as I could for a few others, but reading through the most recent posts, I really have to wonder what Nintendo is thinking in regards to the reaction and reception this game has gotten thus far. A part of me really hopes that they won't kill off the concept they were running with, namely bringing lithe Samus back with flair, but rather improve on the great parts they introduced while making better decisions regarding the instances that turned people off with the game. I am seriously still of the belief that with just a little bit more fine tuning & a better art direction, there would be enough of a stepping stone to make the next entry the Zero Mission to this one's Fusion (not a shot at Fusion mind you).

I'm not touching upon story at all because as much as one could bring up its many flaws and inconsistencies, its still just a lesser element in the face of the actual gameplay.

Boney

Banned
AzureJericho said:
You know, I can't do the multiple posts on a given game in their OT thread as well for this game as I could for a few others, but reading through the most recent posts, I really have to wonder what Nintendo is thinking in regards to the reaction and reception this game has gotten thus far. A part of me really hopes that they won't kill off the concept they were running with, namely bringing lithe Samus back with flair, but rather improve on the great parts they introduced while making better decisions regarding the instances that turned people off with the game. I am seriously still of the belief that with just a little bit more fine tuning & a better art direction, there would be enough of a stepping stone to make the next entry the Zero Mission to this one's Fusion (not a shot at Fusion mind you).

I'm not touching upon story at all because as much as one could bring up its many flaws and inconsistencies, its still just a lesser element in the face of the actual gameplay.
Go back and play with your yo-yo.

Davey Cakes

This game is now a measly $20 on Amazon.

I haven't even played it, but this ridiculous price drop begs the question: is this game a train wreck? Is it really so mediocre/bad that it completely lacks selling potential?

I mean, I'd expect an Ubisoft game to drop like that, but not a Nintendo one.

Sadist

Rash said:

I haven't even played it, but this ridiculous price drop begs the question: is this game a train wreck? Is it really so mediocre/bad that it completely lacks selling potential?

It's GAF: we love us our hyperboles. :)

Other M has a few issues, but for $ 20 you can't go wrong.

giggas

Rash said:

Regardless of what anyone says, the game is totally worth 20 bucks. I'm one of the few that was satisfied spending 50 on it though.

Anyway, it is weird to see a Nintendo published game, especially Metroid, drop in price so quickly. I can't imagine it did so poorly that this was the result, but maybe it was?

I feel bad for this game. Not the best Metroid, but it doesn't deserve the hate.

JodyAnthony said:
if people think other m has the worst game story they ever played, they haven't played many games.
Or they actually consider all of this crap to be far more significant than the plot holes or bad dialogue that typically characterize poor video game writing.

Other M's story is genuinely offensive, and that's rare. It's the worst video game story I've ever experienced by far.

giggas

Sharkington said:
Or they actually consider all of this crap to be far more significant than the plot holes or bad dialogue that typically characterize poor video game writing.

Other M's story is genuinely offensive, and that's rare. It's the worst video game story I've ever experienced by far.

That was a good read. Thanks for the link. Though really, I don't think Sakamoto realized what he was writing, doubt this was his intention at all. That doesn't make it any better, but it goes to show why they probably should have hired an actual writer to write the story.

But regardless, game still plays tight as hell.

Joei

giggas said:
That was a good read. Thanks for the link. Though really, I don't think Sakamoto realized what he was writing, doubt this was his intention at all. That doesn't make it any better, but it goes to show why they probably should have hired an actual writer to write the story.

But regardless, game still plays tight as hell.

I don't think the issue they're raising is whether he realized what he was writing, but the fact that he wrote it with the intention that the Samus/Adam relationship is perfectly normal. Taking into account the author's view of their relationship as a whole, I see a lot of parallels with women I know. To many, this would be a perfectly normal relationship.

Garcia

I am so dissapointed at this game. I have so many things to rant about so I will start with the good stuff because, despite the huge mess it is, it's got several things right and THAT's what Sakamoto and Co. should focus on IF they plan on releasing another 2.5 side-scrolling Metroid.

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD

Good/Excellent stuff:

The mobility of Samus is amazing. Her speed and reaction times are just perfect, they're fast and precise. The Screw Attack DOES feel like a screw attack ! You are actually able to obliterate every living thing that stands on your way after RE-acquairing it. The shooting speed is sublime and the transition to morphball thankfully is almost instantaneous. The finishing moves are gorgeous and they make Samus look more kickass than ever before.

Watching again the old Super Metroid baddies in 3D was pure glory. Their movement was loyal to their 2D counterparts and they were as tough to beat sometimes. The speed booster wasn't as speedy as I thought it would be, and I felt it took damn too long to charge it up, however the sonic-boom kind of effect it causes looks pretty cool, as does the shinespark.

The platforming was ok. I never got frustrated after trying to reach the highest point of a certain room.

Also HOLY SHIT at Phantoon and Queen Metroid !! It was such a pleasant surprise =D !

And that pretty much covers the good stuff. Lets sharpen the knives now.

BAD/HORRENDOUS stuff:

As I said already in my previous post: This isn't a Metroid game. It's a fucking interactive rail shooter. What the fuck were they thinking !?

I don't even know where to start to butcher this mess of a prototype, because mind you, it felt more like a prototype rather than a full fledged game to me.

Yes, the cinematcis were absolutely gorgeous, and yes I'm all for a fragile Samus inside that ancient chozo suit but at least try to come up with a decent storyline ! Excuse me but I'm not buying the submissive/traumatized Samus you are portraying Mr.Sakamoto. The Samus Aran I've known for years has killed thousands upon thousands of alien lifeforms, survived all by herself travelling throught the most harsh/insanely complicated layouts in order to restore peace to a certain region of the universe, and now you're telling I have to fucking follow orders from her father figure in order to use my super cool moves/gizmos ? Confession time: You are out of fucking mind sir. To this day it is the worst excuse for powering down Samus in a Metroid game.

At least the malfunctioning suit of Prime 1 pushed you further into the exploration aspect of the game, but in Other M I didnt felt compelled to explore the spaceship at all. I was actually rushing my way through the game in order to recover all my abilities FFS !!

The Samus meets Ridley moment was one of the most awkward I've seen in recent years, but you know what? I kinda liked watching Samus being vulnerable. It is more logical for her to react that way after developing a childhood trauma instead of fucking dying from heat exposure deep into the lava sector of the bottle ship, waiting for her beloved Adam to authorize the use of her Varia Suit... Seriously, holy shit.

The overall layout of the game not only remains linear but also void from any sense of exploration. It basically breaks down into rushing your way from room to room, mash 1 as your run through corridors and use the sense/win move for tougher enemies. Rinse and repeat until you finish the game.

You can restock your missiles at any given time which translates into not needing any upgrades at all. Enemies for the first time in a Metroid game do not drop anything, yet another incentive for me to rush my way through the corridors without shooting my gun unless forced to do so. Even if you get the location of a hidden power-up after clearing up a room from enemies, in the end it's not even necessary at all since, by the time you finish the game you get the exact locations of EVERY single power-up in the game. WTF !?

The battle system is boring in the long run. I admit I felt pretty excited for the first couple of hours since the sense-move felt really good and the finishing moves were actually intense, but by the time you reach the 2nd or 3rd boss fight you just realize how cheap the controls are. There is absolutely no strategy in this game, AT ALL. You can easily beat every single boss if you just keep wagling the Wiimote waiting for Samus to dodge and charge to counter-attack. Fucking dissapointing.

Shooting missiles wouldn't be a pain in the ass if only you were able to move while you are ponting in 1st person view. Actually, why the fuck do I have to switch to 1st person mode if I won't be able to move!? And why does the game force me to scan stupid irrelevant shit in order to trigger a cinematic?? I felt so angry at the game after I failed to realize I had to scan a fucking green stain on the sand after spending 2 MINUTES doing nothing but moving the camera around, hoping I could finally continue playing.

It is certainly ilogical how the game actually turned into a real Metroid game right after the credits rolled. At that moment I actually felt (and I'm not alone on this) that Sakamoto was trying to tell us: “Ok, you managed to bear this experiment of mine from beginning to end. Now here is your game, fuck you”. No, Fuck YOU sir. This is simply ridiculous ! It is the first time that I actually had more fun with a videogame right after I completed it !! What the fuck !?!

I won't even get into the ending cinematic because I literally laughed out loud at it. It is the most stupid, bizarre, cliched, overdramatic sequence I have ever seen. I mean, seriously... They should've just released a movie ala Advent Children instead of using the gameplay as an excuse for us to bear all the storytelling in Other M.

I'm so dissapointed at the lack of Metroidness in this game... You know what I mean, the stuff that makes a Metroid game a METROID game. The moment they decided to let you refill your ammo and health automatically I knew they had put the fisrt nail in the coffin. But then the game started to force me upon a straight line (like Corruption, which was one of my biggest complaints about that game, but that's a whole different topic), they fucking packed the game with Save Stations (seriously... one every 5 or 6 rooms !? Talk about spoiling the player huh? ) , there's is absolutely no incentive for backtracking since leaving the course of action would compromise your capacity to be authorized the next (and most necessary) suit upgrade; the scenery is absolutely uninspiring. Yes, it IS colorful and reminded me of Super Metroid at some points, but outside of both the spiral chambers and some nature infested hallways, almost half of the game is made of pure copy pasta.

I will absolutely skip any storyline discussion because I refuse to believe the woman portayed in Other M is actually Samus Aran.

Again, I don't mind the inclussion of her monologues, but at least choose good writers and voice actors. When a character uses imbecile phrases like “Confession Time”, you know you're doing something wrong.

Anyway.. I could go on and on, but I think I just covered what I think were the most absurd decisions taken for this game.

It wasn't even a nice try. Thanks, but NO thanks. This is NOT what Metroid is and I hope you don't make the same mistakes again.

Top Bottom