• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

The Hermit

seady said:
IGN Craig seems to hate the game a lot. Don't expect anything more than 7.5
Also IGN Nintendo is the only IGN site that don't guarantee hyped games of their platform a 9+ score, unlike their 360 and PS3 site any hyped games from their channel are guarantee 9+ score regardless of quality.

Why??

:(

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
seady said:
IGN Craig seems to hate the game a lot. Don't expect anything more than 7.5
Also IGN Nintendo is the only IGN site that don't guarantee hyped games of their platform a 9+ score, unlike their 360 and PS3 site any hyped games from their channel are guarantee 9+ score regardless of quality.
Meh.

Theres only a few critics I actually like - Basically all the GiantBomb guys, Jeremy Parish from 1UP and ... that's about it lol.

Then again, I don't really care what it gets. I'm not going to read reviews. I'm just going to play it and enjoy :).

desertdroog

I'm excited to see Team Ninja's take on the Metroid franchise.

Just walked into Gamestop, plopped 5 dollars down, walked out with the art folio and a guarantee to pick up on Sunday. Time to dust off my Wii and update the firmware.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
desertdroog said:

Just walked into Gamestop, plopped 5 dollars down, walked out with the art folio and a guarantee to pick up on Sunday. Time to dust off my Wii and update the firmware.

Wut.

They gave you the art folio already?

I want mine :(.

desertdroog

Crappy pic, but here it is. They like me at my Gamestop and I like that they like me enough to be flexible with the extra's and policies.

desertdroog said:
Crappy pic, but here it is. They like me at my Gamestop and I like that they like me enough to be flexible with the extra's and policies.

Could you snap a few pics of what's in there? I haven't seen anything but the little sliver they show in the promotional pics online.

Hiltz

Maybe Other M was really project Metroid Dreadful all along. Sorry, I had to do it.

Well, if Other M does get bad reviews and/or sells poorly, we can always yell at Sakamoto to stick to making the 2D titles with limited story telling like in Fusion. Leave 3D Metroid to developers like Retro Studios. We don't want to see Gunpei Yokoi rolling in his grave.

heringer

Here's what somebody posted at GFaqs (about Nintendo Power review):

I actually got the issue yesterday and the reviewer's complaints were as follows:

They should have put nunchuck controls for people that wanted them (although after about half an hour he got used to the controls)

Samus's lifeless voice acting for the first hour or so

There is no clear answer to a key mystery

Add to the fact that he said he wants Nintendo and Team Ninja to collaborate again before they reinvent the series again and we can conclude that there were points docked merely for his opinion and not because something is wrong with the game.

Anybody with the issue can confirm this? I don't really trust the people over there. :lol

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Hiltz said:
Maybe Other M was really project Metroid Dreadful all along. Sorry, I had to do it.

Well, if Other M does get bad reviews and/or sells poorly, we can always yell at Sakamoto to stick to making the 2D titles with limited story telling like in Fusion. Leave 3D Metroid to developers like Retro Studios. We don't want to see Gunpei Yokoi rolling in his grave.
Yoshio Sakamoto has more to do with Metroid than Gunpei Yokoi does.

Kard8p3

Hiltz said:

I get the feeling that his next metroid will be a 2D or 2.5D game for the 3DS regardless of how this does. I imagine it would be more story based than fusion but less than this. If I remember right this game was originally supposed to be a 2.5D game anyway so I'm guessing it would probably use an engine similar to this games but restricted to a 2D plane.

Hiltz

I have a bad feeling that once Other M is released, there's going to be some potentially disturbing fanart made of Samus giving birth vaginally to a metroid, or rather ... "the baby."

A 2D Metroid on the 3DS in 3D would be freaking sweet.

Krev said:
Yoshio Sakamoto has more to do with Metroid than Gunpei Yokoi does.

I suppose that's even worse given Sakamoto's longer involvement with the franchise then. He could really screw up this game. I was just thinking about what Gunpei Yokoi's potential thoughts would be on this new direction that Other M has taken and if he would have approved of it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Hiltz said:

2zfsqys.jpg

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
I have a bad feeling that once Other M is released, there's going to be some potentially disturbing fanart made of Samus giving birth vaginally to a metroid, or rather ... "the baby."

a 2D Metroid on the 3DS in 3D would be freaking sweet.
Psssh I bet that already exists.

heringer

Kard8p3 said:
I get the feeling that his next metroid will be a 2D or 2.5D game for the 3DS regardless of how this does. I imagine it would be more story based than fusion but less than this. If I remember right this game was originally supposed to be a 2.5D game anyway so I'm guessing it would probably use an engine similar to this games but restricted to a 2D plane.
Man, a 2.5D Metroid in 3D would be so awesome.

desertdroog

The band holding the prints together is a plastic band made to look like quality rice paper.

Each print has nomenclature on the back describing the image.

Hiltz

Ah man, what was that line in Other M? It's probably going to be a classic quote.

It went something like "how none of the baby's remains were left on me." If newcomers to the franchise knew next to nothing about Super Metroid, then they'd probably think it's quite sick to her Samus say such a thing.

heringer

Ok, think a 2D Metroid with a world fully rendered in 3D. They could use the motion sensors and camera to do that "in the box" effect, so it's like the world is inside the screen. The gameplay would remain 2D, but you could kindasee what is in front of Samus if you wanted to. I want that. :(

Does it come with the prime beef? :lol

Thanks for snapping those pics. It looks pretty cool, but not so cool that I regret going with the $20 amazon credit instead. The picture of the bottle ship is pretty sweet though.

Diffense

Man, the wait from Friday to Tuesday is going to be tough since I'll have to go blackout on this thread/any gaming website once the embargo lifts.

desertdroog

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Does it come with the prime beef? :lol

Thanks for snapping those pics. It looks pretty cool, but not so cool that I regret going with the $20 amazon credit instead. The picture of the bottle ship is pretty sweet though.

Yeah, for something extra, it isn't the greatest thing. However, I won't call it crap either. It is a nice love letter for Metroid fans, if you will...think of them as baseball cards of both creative art and in game stills.

The $20 from Amazon is a great deal, not one to pass up if you need the duckets.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
desertdroog said:

Gamestop's website says it releases Tuesday. Are those clerks sure about this?

desertdroog

Lyte Edge said:
Gamestop's website says it releases Tuesday. Are those clerks sure about this?

I am 100% positive and here is why.

I dropped $5 down. As I was taking my receipt to leave, the night manager said,

"It's Dangerous to go Alone! Take This."

And handed me the art folio. His co-worker protested and said, "We are supposed to give them out when they pick the game up."

The night manager replied, "Not him. He gets his early."

I said thanks and told them I would see them on Tuesday.

The night manager proclaimed, "Actually, you can pick it up Sunday."

I asked, "Really, this is an early release?"

He said, "Yeah, come in on Sunday and pick it up."

I will post pics when I do.

Randomizer

I was browsing the Dolphin forums and was surprised to see a thread for this. Apparently it's been leaked and some filthy pirate posted the thread. He claims it works almost 100% at 60fps and he posted a bunch of screens, it looks so good in 1080p. I hate when shit like this happens, by the time those of us willing to wait and pay for the fucking game get it the pirates will have finished it and moved on to the next leaked game!!

Next Friday is so far away. :(

desertdroog

PounchEnvy said:
It's just special treatment. desertdroog is sleeping with the owner of Gamestop. Duh.

And I give the regional mgr. reach arounds.

Really, they could be pulling my leg as well, I don't know as I was incredulous about them telling me to pick it up on Sunday.

Either way, I plan to spend some quality time in the Metroid universe. I have been in love with the IP since 1987 and though I did not buy Metroid 2, Metroid Hunters, or the Prime Trilogy Metal pack, I like fresh takes on existing IP's.

I still rate Zero Mission and Super Metroid as my all time favorite, with the Prime series close behind. I wonder where I will rate this one?

Kard8p3

heringer said:
Ok, think a 2D Metroid with a world fully rendered in 3D. They could use the motion sensors and camera to do that "in the box" effect, so it's like the world is inside the screen. The gameplay would remain 2D, but you could kindasee what is in front of Samus if you wanted to. I want that. :(

I want this game.

Gravijah

desertdroog said:
I dropped $5 down. As I was taking my receipt to leave, the night manager said,

"It's Dangerous to go Alone! Take This."

I'd punch someone in the face if someone said this to me irl.

Well, I'd envision myself punching them in the face, at least.

heringer

Kard8p3 said:
Oh I do thank Team Ninja for helping to make what seems like an amazing game. I just want a 2.5D 3DS metroid game too. I want more metroid always.
Just think that hawt commercial on the 3DS.

1275033659968.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gravijah said:
I'd punch someone in the face if someone said this to me irl.

Well, I'd envision myself punching them in the face, at least.
Depends on context. Working at the Renassaince Faire I get a lot of people dressed as Link walking by. I hold up a plastic dagger, go "Its dangerous to go alone, take this!" and it almost always gets a laugh.

Boney

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Depends on context. Working at the Renassaince Faire I get a lot of people dressed as Link walking by. I hold up a plastic dagger, go "Its dangerous to go alone, take this!" and it almost always gets a laugh.
One day you're gonna bump into each other and it's gonna get ugly...

It's gonna make for one hell of a thread though!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Boney said:
One day you're gonna bump into each other and it's gonna get ugly...

It's gonna make for one hell of a thread though!
Now the one that gets people angry at me...that would be shouting at the Link cosplayers "Hey! Listen!" in a shrill voice to get their attention. :D

Boney

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Now the one that gets people angry at me...that would be shouting at the Link cosplayers "Hey! Listen!" in a shrill voice to get their attention. :D
I must be like the only one on earth that didn't find it that anoying..

Sure sometimes traversing the field was obnoxious, but it was fine for the most part. Maybe english not being my main language was the issue. Heck, maybe that's why I'm not as upset with Other M as some of you are.

wow the
Benjamin Linus theme from Lost
just played during the justin tv playthrough :lol

edit: ok well I'm fucking retarded, my music player was on and I had forgotten that it was

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
friskykillface said:
some people are playing it on jtv right now

http://www.justin.tv/cyberman6

he started about 10-15 minutes ago

looking good so far :D
:( tuesday cant come soon enough
The scale of Samus versus the rest of the world is really... odd.

The UI font that pops up on screen is awful.

Top Bottom