• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that musical transition was fucking sweet. reminds me of the 90s, in the best possible way.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
KibblesBits said:
Wow those mods are obnoxious.

It cracked me up when one chatter said "How did you get this game?" and the comment was deleted like 2 seconds later. Funny stuff.

I'm out of the stream for now. I kept getting pop up ads and I couldn't take it anymore but I'll probably go back in in like 5 minutes. I just want to play it, dammit.

OH man wall jumps.
I love wall jumps.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's pretty clear from just a few moments of watching this: analog control would ruin it.

Beth Cyra

Watched the stream for about an hour, and all I can say is if the game is like that from beginning to end then I will be very happy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BocoDragon said:
It's pretty clear from just a few moments of watching this: analog control would ruin it.
let's not go crazy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
some genuine backtracking!? surely not!

good reuse of this room with a different perspective. I was hoping they'd take advantage of the camera like this.

The ceiling are SO high up in this game. It's crazy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You guys are fucking crazy. No way I'd touch this stream and be spoiled when the game is so close.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
Is cynicism genuinely melting away or are people merely looking for good since there's no investment in watching a stream?
A lot of my expected issues are still very much present. Additionally, this stream has made me wonder how long this type of game will remain interesting. It looks very, very simple mechanically (the combat is already becoming kind of tedious to watch, at least) but without the really nice Metroid art to support it. There was a moment in the stream when a really cool environment was revealed, but then Samus hit a switch and, without spoiling anything, it made it so much less interesting.

But I'm being an optimist with my most of my comments here. There are some cool thing they're doing, and it's much more fun to focus on them than the negatives when watching a stream like this.

ShockingAlberto said:
Is cynicism genuinely melting away or are people merely looking for good since there's no investment in watching a stream?

So far, it looks like a genuinely fun and creative game. Some of the rooms I've seen in just a few minutes are great
hologram room <3

It was kind of on my radar before but I was waiting for a chance to see a stream or a massive influx of reviews to decide. I want.

edit: And the music and sound effects are amazing :>.

ShockingAlberto said:

I've been excited for it from the start. While I may have been part of an argument about Sakamoto's roll in Prime I was always damn excited for the game.

I stand by my statement in that other thread. This really is taking the look of Super Metroid and putting it into 3D. Where as the Prime series had its own thing going on with the look, color palette and design of the enemies, this one has definitely based all those things off Super Metroid.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If there's one aspect about the game this stream has 'melted away', it's the d-pad control. The game looks like it controls just fine. There was one encounter that relied on a bit of depth, and that did look clunky, but most of the time the camera is pretty smart and the enemy behavior tends not to exploit the depth perception issues the camera coupled with the controls present.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I closed the stream and now I'm playing Super Metroid on my Wii.
I'm getting myself all excited to play this game. I think I'll get up early on Tuesday.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Watching the stream, I still can't get over how incredibly ugly this game is (with the newly found addition of really terrible fonts).

Looks entertaining, but I think I'll keep this as a rent or used purchase down the road. I have too many PC games to play anyway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, the fonts are so sad. it tears my heart out. what is it with Wii games and bad fonts?

Kard8p3

I liked the music that played in the section before where he's at now. He doesn't seem to be that great at these forced first person sections.

Shin Johnpv said:
I stand by my statement in that other thread. This really is taking the look of Super Metroid and putting it into 3D. Where as the Prime series had its own thing going on with the look, color palette and design of the enemies, this one has definitely based all those things off Super Metroid.

Exactly :D.

Which is perfect.

I am painfully reminded that my girlfriend has my Wii to play Just Dance (again, I am actually serious) and No More Heroes, so I am trying to keep any hype down until I can actually play this probably mid-September.

BocoDragon

Rez said:
If there's one aspect about the game this stream has 'melted away', it's the d-pad control. The game looks like it controls just fine. There was one encounter that relied on a bit of depth, and that did look clunky, but most of the time the camera is pretty smart and the enemy behavior tends not to exploit the depth perception issues the camera coupled with the controls present.
I was on board from the second they asserted it as a conscious design decision. 3D Gameplay does not automatically demand analog control despite the fact that gamers have been trained to think so: If you eliminate "in between" speeds of walking, and limit yourself to 8-way run, you actually make the gameplay faster and tighter. It's the same reason you don't play Tekken, SC, DOA of VF with an analog stick, even though the arenas are in 3D: it's too slow for fast-paced gameplay. (Tobal is one of the exceptions.. the game is a little "mushier" and slower than usual, and its balanced to accommodate that)

Analog was wonderful for games like Mario 64, which let Mario be a kind of 3D marionette you could run or walk, stroll in any direction with freedom.... but if the emphasis of your game is tight, fast action, analog isn't necessary.

I also hate how 2D sidescolling portions of games feel with analog control.. and this game looks to have quite a few of those.

Any explanation as to why this releases on a Tuesday in the Americas? It was my recollection that Nintendo drops their major releases on Sundays? I only realized this yesterday, and it made me angry because I WANT THIS GAME SO FUCKING BADLY.

BocoDragon

I've only been watching for a half hour... but so far my only complaint is the music: nothing memorable. Just ambiant beeps n boops.

ShockingAlberto said:
I am painfully reminded that my girlfriend has my Wii to play Just Dance (again, I am actually serious) and No More Heroes, so I am trying to keep any hype down until I can actually play this probably mid-September.
You need to check dat ho and get your wii back now, son.

I really wish there was more music. I want the lonely atmosphere but the other games did that despite the excellent music playing in most of the environments. Hopefully that changes.

Koodo

Banned
I've been out of the house all day and just got back WHAT IS HAPPENING.

LINK ME TO THE HAPPENING.
please.

Edit: oh, is it the justintv one? ZGCyber?

Teknoman

Lyphen said:
Watching the stream, I still can't get over how incredibly ugly this game is (with the newly found addition of really terrible fonts).

Looks entertaining, but I think I'll keep this as a rent or used purchase down the road. I have too many PC games to play anyway.

Hey its not ugly :(

BocoDragon

Game over sequence is waaaay pedestrian compared to the Prime series.

Pre-ordered the game w/Art Folio bonus today, whoo!

Zero-Crescent said:
So what you're saying is you think the post-game bonus will be Mike Nelson and his robot pals coming out and riffing the cut-scenes. 'Cause that would be awesome.
Roll Fizzlebeef.

Big McLargeHuge! :lol One of the best episodes ever. And yes, Mike, Tom and Crow riffing Other M footage would be hilarious. Actually, there is a Metroid reference in the MST3K episode, Being From Another Planet, one of my fave eps, from the Metroid database:

http://www.metroid-database.com/features/beyondzebes.php

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is the greatest television show in history. (Yes, it is. Don't even start arguing with me, Trekkie.) Anyways, MST3K was the show that featured Joel Robinson (Joel Hodgson, and later Mike Nelson) and his robot pals Crow and Tom Servo marooned in space and forced to watch cheesy movies (the worst we can find) (la-la-la!). The guys were known for pulling obscure references out of their wazoos while making fun of the turkey du jour, and although Mario, Pac-Man and Pong jokes abounded, it was quite surprising to hear Crow T. Robot make a wisecrack involving Metroid in episode #405, "Being From Another Planet." A troubled teen is alone in his room playing a little electronic game when two guys come in to bother him, at which point Crow says, "Could I go back to my game? I was up to the third level of Metroid." (Yes, we know Metroid doesn't have levels. Shut up.)

And in the rifftrax for Terminator Salvation (I think that's the one, someone correct me if I'm wrong), one of the three guys makes a reference to Samus being revealed as a woman at the end of the NES game to which one of them replies, "Uh, HELLO?! Spoiler alert!!!" :lol

And if you haven't already seen it, make sure to check out their 1998 Sony Playstation Underground CD riff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPIoOZuoGd8

Red

Looks OK. Expected more. But I suppose Metroid games are typically much better played than watched, especially when the person at the wheel is as terrible as whoever's playing this stream.

Koodo

Banned
Teknoman said:
:lol yeah, MP1 really made it feel like you died http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_7SfeBL_8c&feature=related . Surprised they didnt at least go with the old school Samus suit explode animation.
I legit forgot what the gameover screen looked like. After mastering Echoes, any other Metroid Prime replay thereafter was a piece of cake. I don't think I died once replaying the entire Trilogy a year ago.

Also, I was watching some boss (or mini boss?) fight on that justintv stream and it seemed a little pedestrian. Samus, of course, was moving around like the HBIC that she especially is in this game, but the enemy lacked... something. I am expecting Team Ninja to deliver more explosive, over-the-top fights than Retro Studios, but this one boss (or mini boss) seemed run-of-the-mill.

sfried

Lyphen said:

The opposite is true: Despite the quality of the stream, the game looks amazing. Sure, it's not Retro-style art direction, but it's way more consistent as the human models and animation also look fantastic.

Crunched said:
Looks OK. Expected more. But I suppose Metroid games are typically much better played than watched, especially when the person at the wheel is as terrible as whoever's playing this stream.

Yeah. I kind of feel the same watching it, but I'm thinking I may have said something similar watching someone play Super Metroid, or Prime. I'm definitely giving it the benefit of the doubt for now, it does look like a good game but I hope actually playing it makes it click.

Top Bottom