• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Ridley327

Diffense said:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,390647,00.html

Different strokes for different folks...

Oh, that review.

To be honest, I'm still amazed that the media dug on the game as much as they did. When I played it at Nintendo's 2002 Gamecube tour, two things were immediately obvious to me:

1. I was going to fucking love the game
2. I did not expect very many people to feel the same

When the 9s and 10s started flowing like water, I was probably more surprised than most. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:
Haha, sucks to be you!

One day I'll be remembered. You'll see. You'll all see.

The_Technomancer said:
Hm seems to be: fun combat, and story isn't terrible, but exploration and isolation are drasticly scaled back.
I can see how less isolated you'll feel with all these guys. Disappointed about the exploration part. Can someone enlighten me on this particular detail. It's my favorite part of Metroid. I love to go hunting for secrets and figure out how to use the newest power-up on previous areas. I'm thinking the plot tells you exactly where to go and what to do.

dr_octagon

Banned
If you were excited for this game, play it and make up your own mind. I wouldn't let the reviews phaze you. Conversely, you don't have to feel obliged to fall in love with a game just because it gets amazing reviews.

Boney

Banned
marathonfool said:
I can see how less isolated you'll feel with all these guys. Disappointed about the exploration part. Can someone enlighten me on this particular detail. It's my favorite part of Metroid. I love to go hunting for secrets and figure out how to use the newest power-up on previous areas. I'm thinking the plot tells you exactly where to go and what to do.
Think Fusion. There's a lot of hidden power ups scattered around, some way out of the way. But the main game is much more linear than Super Metroid.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Despite its flaws, it sounds like it's a fun game, and that's what matters most to me.

I just replayed and completed Fusion, so I think I'm good to go.

Gigglepoo

marathonfool said:
Can someone enlighten me on this particular detail.

Your next objective is always highlighted on the map. There are a few environmental puzzles to solve, but you generally know exactly where you need to go. As far as hidden items are concerned, when you clear out a room of enemies, a market appears on the map to show you there's an item nearby. Again, you still need to figure out how to get it, but you don't have to hunt around the entire map to find things anymore.

Kard8p3 said:
The gamespot video review is great but it does have spoilers so don't watch if you don't want spoilers.

The footage is only from the first half of the game. But, yeah, spoilers for anyone who wants to go in pure.

zigg

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Obviously. I think if you are a core gamer, you are probably more inclined to agree with one of the sites on the above bracket.

What the hell does this even mean.

This is precisely why I hate these "core" and "casual" terms. On top of not really meaning anything in the first place, gaming is filled with lots of people with a wide range of tastes; game-playing people like all kinds of different games and dislike others.

I may think reasons that some people hate a game are stupid, and some are even objectively so, but it's (presumably) their opinion and if someone honestly dislikes this game, it's not because they're not a member of the Exclusive Core Club.

Boney

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Your next objective is always highlighted on the map. There are a few environmental puzzles to solve, but you generally know exactly where you need to go. As far as hidden items are concerned, when you clear out a room of enemies, a market appears on the map to show you there's an item nearby. Again, you still need to figure out how to get it, but you don't have to hunt around the entire map to find things anymore.
Fusion and Zero Mision had that little dot on the map to show you items, but half of them were actually in hidden rooms not shown on the map. How does Other M handle this? Because they've said, normal players will only get around 50% of the items.

TreIII

BorkBork said:
Despite its flaws, it sounds like it's a fun game, and that's what matters most to me.

I just replayed and completed Fusion, so I think I'm good to go.

Same here. Ever since last year, with details of the game starting to come out, it really did sound like Sakamoto's new project was basically going to flow in line with what Fusion was all about almost a decade ago. (Hell, Sakamoto even came out and explicitly said such in another interview.) And well, that's just fine with me, as I loved Fusion and how it started to actually give Samus some personality.

Gigglepoo said:
This sounds terrible for a classic Metroid fan like me. :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
heringer said:

Funny how I absolutely despise G4 and that is the lowest score of the bunch.

Now I'm even more hyped for Tuesday.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
zigg said:
What the hell does this even mean.

This is precisely why I hate these "core" and "casual" terms. On top of not really meaning anything in the first place, gaming is filled with lots of people with a wide range of tastes; game-playing people like all kinds of different games and dislike others.

I may think reasons that some people hate a game are stupid, and some are even objectively so, but it's (presumably) their opinion and if someone honestly dislikes this game, it's not because they're not a member of the Exclusive Core Club.

No one mentioned casual. It was just a blurb. I think more people on GAF would presumably trust reviewers with an actual detailed history of reviewing games. Kohler and Harris i trust. G4TV i don't.

.la1n

marathonfool said:
This sounds terrible for a classic Metroid fan like me. :(

If you are a classic metroid fan I assure you that you need to stay as far away from other M as possible, just pretend it never existed. Super Metroid is still the best and metroid fusion is also quite good in comparison.

Instro

.la1n said:
If you are a classic metroid fan I assure you that you need to stay as far away from other M as possible, just pretend it never existed. Super Metroid is still the best and metroid fusion is also quite good in comparison.

You've played it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The lower reviews are a little concerning since I'd hate for my $50 to be poorly spent, but fuck it, I'm still on board. If anything it's good that the so-so reviews have popped up since they're help put our expectations in the right place.
Lets do this.

.la1n said:
If you are a classic metroid fan I assure you that you need to stay as far away from other M as possible

While that may be true, I still have to give it a go to decide for myself. I'm not even cautiously optimistic at this point, but I wasn't when Prime came out either and I ended up being severely impressed.

The Game Informer review was more negative about Samus talking, the more story over gameplay argument, Metroid shouldn't have a story rant, Samus shouldn't be with other soldiers in the game, and Samus' bad voice acting and constant narration than the actual game itself.

I don't think the reviewer ever mentioned anything about the game and if it's fun or not.

Bad review.

TreIII

.la1n said:

Funny you say that, when everything about Other M points to it being basically a thematic continuation of what Fusion is doing. Right down to "exploration being scaled back" and "powers require authorization from Adam to be used". :lol

seady

Game Informer once again taking early public's preview impression as final review.
That's the problem with printed magazine.

TreIII said:
Funny you say that, when everything about Other M points to it being basically a thematic continuation of what Fusion is doing. Right down to "exploration being scaled back" and "powers require authorization from Adam to be used". :lol

I wanted it to be a thematic continuation of what Super Metroid was doing, considering that it's a direct sequel. Hell, Prime was close enough to Super Metroid for me, it kept almost every essence of the series intact.

Kard8p3

Gomu Gomu said:
Apperantly Chris Kohler of Wired.com likes it. Then I've got nothing to worry about.

Yep he gave it a 9 so if you tend to listen to him then there's nothing to worry about. There's really nothing to worry about anyway.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ramirez said:
Hmmm, the mixed reviews have me worried, really don't want to waste 50 bucks. :(

Amazon has a $20 credit. Buy it, get the $20 credit, and if you don't like the game, sell it.

Top Bottom