• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney

Banned
Whenever I read that someone taking points off the game because it doesn't have "scanning", I know that I'm not supposed to take them seriously.

Just to set everyone's minds at ease, this game is still worth playing if you're a fan of the series. I honestly am glad I've experienced it, and it did manage to hook me throughout the 13 to 15 hours I spent with it. It's just that it's not a legendary entry like many of the past installments.

Hiltz

Man, its pretty crazy and rare to see a first-party Nintendo franchise receive such mixed reviews.

As far as reviews go, the only ones I generally have trust in are from IGN (pretty much Craig only), 1up, and Destructoid. G4 can suck it. I wish the tv network would just cease to exist.

Even if Other M disappoints me in some ways, the $20 gift card from Wal Mart will help cushion the blow.

Go Nintendo gave the game a 7.2 out of 10.

Gilgamesh

I just watched the G4 review, and I know it's just their running gag for scores, but "two massive thumbs down out of five" is retarded. More thumbs down would mean it was worse. :lol

Gigglepoo

Boney said:
Fusion and Zero Mision had that little dot on the map to show you items, but half of them were actually in hidden rooms not shown on the map. How does Other M handle this? Because they've said, normal players will only get around 50% of the items.

There aren't the hidden rooms normally associated with Metroid games. It's more a matter of finding vents and secret passages within rooms. I had 64% my first time through.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ramirez said:
Hmmm, the mixed reviews have me worried, really don't want to waste 50 bucks. :(

It's still green at Metacritic, it's not that bad!

It's not a big surprised that the game hasn't been received with universal acclaim, most of us knew it wouldn't be rated as high as Prime but overall the scores are still pretty decent. It's still pretty positive.
I look forward to seeing how I feel about the bad, I are my most trusted reviewer.

Sadist

EatChildren said:
One day I'll be remembered. You'll see. You'll all see.
1z66vjt.jpg

"That's what I said!"

Dem Reviews section in the OP, reads them

Kard8p3

Now all I'm doing is awaiting the gametrailers review. They tend to be my most trusted site for reviews so I can't wait to see what they thought of it.

.la1n said:
If you are a classic metroid fan I assure you that you need to stay as far away from other M as possible, just pretend it never existed. Super Metroid is still the best and metroid fusion is also quite good in comparison.
There will always be haters. I think the same thing happened when Prime came out, right, people complaining about the FPS thing? Heck, there were people who hated Resident Evil 4 and wanted the series to return to the classic roots!

For me, I have no problems either way and commend Nintendo and Sakamoto for trying to take the series to a new direction. The only problem is, they did this with Team Ninja who are not really known for their, well, storytelling!

The IGN reviewer said it perfectly about Japanese style storytelling, especially from someone like Team Ninja:

IGN: "Even when the script falls on heavy-handed, symbolism-focused Japanese-style storytelling that can -- and does -- border on the absurd,"

That really summarizes it. That's probably why it was so hard for some of these reviewers to take it in because they couldn't relate to Samus' personal story because it probably didn't make a lick of sense. The problem with a lot of Japanese styled storytelling in games (and anime) is that sometimes I think they put so much symbolism into the narrative that they end up emotionally distancing the audience. But of course there are amazing stories in Japanese games and anime like Suikoden II and the Miyazaki films. But this is Team Ninja we're talking about, so yeah.

I think this is why the negative reviews, particularly Game Informer, ranted so much on that part of the game instead of looking at the more positive things like the game itself as a game. I can understand if they felt their favorite character or franchise was messed with by Team Ninja, but it's still a bad review because at the end they're still professionals who's job is to tell us if the game is fun or not.

For a future note: NEVER rely on Team Ninja to give us a heart-felt story of Samus that we can relate to, because we never will!

For me, I don't care, I just want a new Metroid game! I'm still looking forward to it.

Plinko said:
Amazon has a $20 credit. Buy it, get the $20 credit, and if you don't like the game, sell it.

usually amazon has $30 trade in credit minimum for new releases and they give you a week to ship it out, so i guess you could do that if you dont like it. break even

i wish i had mom and pop stores around me, im sure they are already selling it :(
i want to play it now!!!!!!

:lol roh ouh at G4's twitter post right now

http://twitter.com/g4tv/status/22291730175

they dont want anyone to get it :p

TreIII

brandonh83 said:
I wanted it to be a thematic continuation of what Super Metroid was doing, considering that it's a direct sequel. Hell, Prime was close enough to Super Metroid for me, it kept almost every essence of the series intact.

Well, then I'm sorry, but some body wasn't paying attention. :lol

I mean, seriously. Sakamoto basically came out and said, last year, that this game was going to have a lot more in common with Fusion than anything else. By the time that much was said, people should have wised up and either a) adjusted their expectations and/or b) bail out when they had the opportunity. It was that simple.

Just like I pretty much bailed out from Prime because it was a strictly First Person game, and I can't stand such. :lol

Boney

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
There aren't the hidden rooms normally associated with Metroid games. It's more a matter of finding vents and secret passages within rooms. I had 64% my first time through.
Ok, that's a bummer, was expecting it to be a merge of both styles, but Sakamoto has said before that transcribing 2d Metroid level design as is, in 3d wasn't possible.

GameInformer said:
On the other hand, maybe Samus is happy not using her full range of weaponry, because it’s kind of a pain to do so. Since control is limited to a single Wii remote, many of the game’s encounters boil down to running in a circle, charging up your gun, and shooting over and over until the enemy dies, praying that the game’s dodgy auto-targeting works.
facepalm

Boney

Banned
GameInformer said:
Unfortunately, this also takes away your ability to move. If the developer thought that frequent, jarring switches to first-person to shoot off a few desperate missiles before you get attacked is a fun gameplay mechanic, they were wrong.
This smells like God Hand to me.

Gigglepoo

If you guys are curious, I didn't expect this game to be that great going in. The previews made me less than excited and the controls sounded like crap. But once I started playing it, I loved it. Everything just feels right. When I wrote my review, I of course analyzed how the exploration works, but I wasn't really worried about a lack of hidden rooms or marked objectives while playing.

The only real bad point for me was the story because it's so drawn out. I always wanted to get back to the action, which is pure entertainment.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That Gamefan score is hilarious. It reminds me of all the ridiculous scores they used to give games back in the day.

Gigglepoo said:
If you guys are curious, I didn't expect this game to be that great going in. The previews made me less than excited and the controls sounded like crap. But once I started playing it, I loved it. Everything just feels right. When I wrote my review, I of course analyzed how the exploration works, but I wasn't really worried about a lack of hidden rooms or marked objectives while playing.

The only real bad point for me was the story because it's so drawn out. I always wanted to get back to the action, which is pure entertainment.
Can you link to your review. I didn't see it in this thread. With all being said, I'll definitely get this game and play it.

Boney

Banned
Ramirez said:
You're trying too hard.
Why?
The guy clearly didn't learn the basics of the game. Just like the God Hand review.
Sense move automatically charges your Beam, first person is when you have space to shoot the missile, not to mention you can evade in first person.

This stuff is is just wrong.

Things like, pointing the remote at the screen being cumbersome, and the story are valid complains.

Being linear is a so-so complain, I love exploring in my Metroids, just as I love my fixed camara angle in RE. The game isn't designed this way.

EDIT: You can make the argument that the game doesn't do a great job at teaching you the basics of combat though.. maybe..

Combine

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
There will always be haters. I think the same thing happened when Prime came out, right, people complaining about the FPS thing? Heck, there were people who hated Resident Evil 4 and wanted the series to return to the classic roots!

For me, I have no problems either way and commend Nintendo and Sakamoto for trying to take the series to a new direction. The only problem is, they did this with Team Ninja who are not really known for their, well, storytelling!

The IGN reviewer said it perfectly about Japanese style storytelling, especially from someone like Team Ninja:

IGN: "Even when the script falls on heavy-handed, symbolism-focused Japanese-style storytelling that can -- and does -- border on the absurd,"

That really summarizes it. That's probably why it was so hard for some of these reviewers to take it in because they couldn't relate to Samus' personal story because it probably didn't make a lick of sense. The problem with most Japanese styled storytelling in games (and anime) is that sometimes I think they put so much symbolism into the narrative that they end up emotionally distancing the audience. I say most because there are amazing stories in Japanese games and anime like Suikoden II and the Miyazaki films. But this is Team Ninja we're talking about, so yeah.

I think this is why the negative reviews, particularly Game Informer, ranted so much on that part of the game instead of looking at the more positive things like the game itself as a game. I can understand if they felt their favorite character or franchise was messed with by Team Ninja, but it's still a bad review because at the end they're still professionals who's job is to tell us if the game is fun or not.

For a future note: NEVER rely on Team Ninja to give us a heart-felt story of Samus that we can relate to, because we never will!

For me, I don't care, I just want a new Metroid game! I'm still looking forward to it.
Spot-on post in regards to Japanese storytelling (and why I've grown cold on it). The heavy-handed over-emotional acting, drama and wtf-symbolism is what has turned me off to most Japanese stories, especially in their video games (RPG's especially). I'm definitely not too keen on having to endure that in this Metroid game (even the more subdued version of it in Fusion was off-putting), especially after it being non-existent in the Prime games.

But oh well, I'll just deal with it.

Dr.Hadji

GameInformer said:
Since control is limited to a single Wii remote, many of the game’s encounters boil down to running in a circle, charging up your gun, and shooting over and over until the enemy dies, praying that the game’s dodgy auto-targeting works. Aiming at the screen with the Wii remote takes you into first-person view, which is the only way you can shoot missiles.

:lol :lol :lol
I remember there was someone here who predicted that people would do this.

GameInformer said:
If the developer thought that frequent, jarring switches to first-person to shoot off a few desperate missiles before you get attacked is a fun gameplay mechanic, they were wrong.

Works for Zelda. I'm cool wit it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ramirez said:
You're trying too hard.

Yeah, I mean I've been looking forward to this game as much as anyone else, but you just have to accept that some people don't think it's very good. Picking apart a review, whether or not it's bad, isn't gonna change that.

1up review: B-

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181105

1up: "But the focus on the weak narrative bogs down what is otherwise an intense, action-focused game. If you can ignore the constant cut-scene interruptions, Other M shows the white-knuckle excitement you can still feel from a single-player only side-scrolling adventure."

*Sigh* So the weak narrative is hampering this otherwise, solid and good action game. :(

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Gigglepoo said:

If you don't mind me asking, what Metroid game do you think it's most close to - Or - is it hard to compare it to another Metroid title already out?

Boney

Banned
So the biggest criticisms are:

1) Going through the Lava area with your Varia suit in your pocket because Samus wants to impress Adam.

2) Annoying (and ugly) filler characters with bad voice acting, and a cheesy anime story.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:
I DON'T NEED OPINIONS I NEED FACTS

In school a B- was always a 80 to like 83 or so. Low to mid 80's.

Which was always a pretty good grade for me, worthy of the refrigerator. It's all about lowered expectations.

scitek

Snuggler said:
So it's twice as good as Other M? Uh oh!
Hopefully that review wasn't for the shoddy console version, that would be even worse.

It was for the Xbox 360 version, and I'm about to review Mafia 2 (PC version) and am giving it a C. The overwhelming consensus of these reviews is an 8+/10, I'd just go with that people.

Gigglepoo

Haziqonfire said:
If you don't mind me asking, what Metroid game do you think it's most close to - Or - is it hard to compare it to another Metroid title already out?

Definitely Fusion. I'm playing Super right now (I've never finished it) and it's startling how different they are.

Haunted

scitek said:
It was for the Xbox 360 version, and I'm about to review Mafia 2 (PC version) and am giving it a C. The overwhelming consensus of these reviews is an 8+/10, I'd just go with that people.
smh

.la1n

Instro said:
You've played it?

Yes I have finished the game to completion. I enjoyed it as some sort of weird hybrid action exploration game with some nonsensical story attached. As a metroid game it just wasn't what I had hoped for but even from the first trailer I think it was apparent we weren't getting super metroid 3D. I kept my expectations low and as such was able to get enjoyment from the game, i'm not saying it isn't fun, all i'm saying is it's not a metroid game in anything but name and main character.

farnham

Banned
in the next smash bros samus will have the final smash "chatty girl"

she will basically begin a long narration about her, the baby and adam and will put everyone to sleep like purin does with her singing ability.

calling it!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Gigglepoo said:
Definitely Fusion. I'm playing Super right now (I've never finished it) and it's startling how different they are.

Okay, thanks.

That's good then - I did love Fusion, even if it was more linear, though I don't expect it to be so open if it's going to be story focused.

I just want Tuesday to be here!

Top Bottom