• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

daakusedo

I will see when I have it.

But speaking of cinematics, scenes like the attack of Ridley on the Samus planet is typically the sort of element you can't have in the first metroids.
So I think Sakamoto should not leave this idea like some reviewers are shouting at him but use it with parsimony.

Boney

Banned
.la1n said:
Yes I have finished the game to completion. I enjoyed it as some sort of weird hybrid action exploration game with some nonsensical story attached. As a metroid game it just wasn't what I had hoped for but even from the first trailer I think it was apparent we weren't getting super metroid 3D. I kept my expectations low and as such was able to get enjoyment from the game, i'm not saying it isn't fun, all i'm saying is it's not a metroid game in anything but name and main character.
Do you consider Fusion a Metroid game?

Gravijah

farnham said:
in the next smash bros samus will have the final smash "chatty girl"

she will basically begin a long narration about her, the baby and adam and will put everyone to sleep like purin does with her singing ability.

calling it!

racist

Roto13

Boney said:
1) Going through the Lava area with your Varia suit in your pocket because Samus wants to impress Adam.
Yeah, that kind of thing sounds really, really stupid. Team Ninja is sexist. Surprise. :p

zigg

Shikamaru Ninja said:
No one mentioned casual. It was just a blurb. I think more people on GAF would presumably trust reviewers with an actual detailed history of reviewing games. Kohler and Harris i trust. G4TV i don't.

You really didn't have to mention it explicitly—that's a dangerously loaded word.

But, sure, I can certainly understand preferring some reviewers over others. I tend to do it based purely on whether their opinions typically line up with mine, though; someone can have been playing games since Pong and still have opinions that make me get WTF. There's no real objectiveness to it; just a match-up of things that are important to things that are not. Knowing what importance one reviewer attaches to certain facets of a game's design has even turned otherwise ill-fitting reviews into useful ones, in my experience.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Boney said:
He was only stalling for time as I hurried readying through the thread.

Thanks for ridiculizing yourself bro.

momo.gif

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/posindustries/facepalm/momo.gif[/QUOTE]
:lol
I think he wasn't serious... but he does like Monk though... hmmm

[QUOTE=Roto13]Yeah, that kind of thing sounds really, really stupid. Team Ninja is sexist. Surprise. :P[/QUOTE]
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said it best, on it being cultural differences that are gonna make roll our eyes hard because it's gonna be so so so incredibly stupid for us.
You should "blame" Sakamoto for this as well.

Hmm, sounds like us doom and gloom haters (read: people with the capacity for critical thinking and nuance) were spot on about the game's potential foibles and shortcomings. Fancy that.

Now I fully expect the argument to turn from "you can't judge without impressions/the full product" to "haters gonna hate/purists/rose tinted glasses/well that's just like, your opinion, man".

Still looking forward to playing this btw.

JSnake

I'm really disappointed that Ridley didn't get any voiced lines besides RAAWFGGGG.

i'm even more disappointed that he doesn't have the voice of a 1920s reporter

scitek

zigg said:
You really didn't have to mention it explicitly—that's a dangerously loaded word.

But, sure, I can certainly understand preferring some reviewers over others. I tend to do it based purely on whether their opinions typically line up with mine, though; someone can have been playing games since Pong and still have opinions that make me get WTF. There's no real objectiveness to it; just a match-up of things that are important to things that are not. Knowing what importance one reviewer attaches to certain facets of a game's design has even turned otherwise ill-fitting reviews into useful ones, in my experience.

Not saying the opinion is any less valid because of this, but the G4 review was written by a woman. She clearly felt insulted/offended by the storyline--I actually think she has some really good points in there about the logistics of events, such as being frightened by Ridley, etc.--but her entire motive seems to be to write the entire game off based on her personal offense to the story, and it looks a lot like an Armond White review of a Pixar film IMO.

TreIII said:
Well, then I'm sorry, but some body wasn't paying attention. :lol

I mean, seriously. Sakamoto basically came out and said, last year, that this game was going to have a lot more in common with Fusion than anything else. By the time that much was said, people should have wised up and either a) adjusted their expectations and/or b) bail out when they had the opportunity. It was that simple.

That's fine and fair then, but no, I don't read absolutely every interview and such, and especially with a Metroid game I don't really want to know that much about it. The only reason I watched the game being played on justin.tv was because I'd read impressions that bothered me and I just had to see for myself-- and when I did, I didn't really dig what I saw.

That being said, I'm a lenient guy. I ended up liking Shattered Memories even though it ditched a lot of Silent Hill staples, but in the long run I felt that it did nail a few core things that I like about that franchise, so I gave it a pass. We'll see if I can do the same for this one.

Boney

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Hmm, sounds like us doom and gloom haters (read: people with the capacity for critical thinking and nuance) were spot on about the game's potential foibles and shortcomings. Fancy that.

Now I fully expect the argument to turn from "you can't judge without impressions/the full product" to "haters gonna hate/purists/rose tinted glasses/well that's just like, your opinion, man".

Still looking forward to playing this btw.
Why are you so hard on me :mad:

Haziqonfire said:
Would love an overview on this.. not clicking these guys are way to spoilery.

I didn't finish the game thinking that it would be this divisive, that's for sure! From what I've read, I can understand all the complaints -- I don't think G4 or Game Informer are being irrational. I like that there's such a diversity of opinion about the choices the game makes. (But it's really good.)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
scitek said:
Yeah, that's bad? I'm telling people to play it once for the story, a bad review means it should be avoided.

When we are talking of a series of the caliber of Metroid, it is disappointing.

Not that I really care.

farnham

Banned
so the game is getting mid 8 reviews and my initial fears have been proved wrong

and im really glad it turned out to be a good game

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't watch it the GameTrailers review, I skipped to the end .. but I still saw something I didn't want to know..

Score below
They gave it a 8.6

StAidan

The reviews -- even the good ones -- are enough to tell me I'd better pass on this game. I wanted to look forward to it, but it's just not Metroid enough for me.

Gilgamesh

StAidan said:
The reviews -- even the good ones -- are enough to tell me I'd better pass on this game. I wanted to look forward to it, but it's just not Metroid enough for me.
I'm pretty sure like 80% of the reviews say that it holds true to Metroid spirit and appeal. It just has a shitty story.

RagnarokX

Gigglepoo said:
Your next objective is always highlighted on the map. There are a few environmental puzzles to solve, but you generally know exactly where you need to go. As far as hidden items are concerned, when you clear out a room of enemies, a market appears on the map to show you there's an item nearby. Again, you still need to figure out how to get it, but you don't have to hunt around the entire map to find things anymore.
Super Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 3 get a pass because...? Every metroid game that has had a map besides the first two Primes and MPH has done this. Prime 1 and 2 had sounds.

Boney

Banned
badcrumble said:
That's my big fear from what the reviews have been saying.
It's a shame since no other series really does that, and it's been 6 years since the last game. But I still feel it's wrong to judge it on the franchise's past elements, and not what it set out to do. On a personal level, it's a bummer, but it shouldn't be a factor while reviewing the game.

@GrotesqueBeauty
I think it's a bit more linear that Fusion even. Especially on upgrades.

scitek

Regulus Tera said:
When we are talking of a series of the caliber of Metroid, it is disappointing.

Not that I really care.

Not Metroid! I was saying I'm giving Mafia 2 a C. Got off-topic, sorry about that. :lol

Gigglepoo

RagnarokX said:
Super Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 3 get a pass because...? Every metroid game that has had a map besides the first two Primes and MPH has done this. Prime 1 and 2 had sounds.

I never said that Other M failed.

black_vegeta said:
Can you spoiler tag the score please?

Gametrailers reviews are always chalk full of spoilers.

Edit: and give us some highlights and lowlights?
Yeah, I'm not watching their probably spoilerific review, but I checked the score:

Story 7.0
Design 8.3
Gameplay 8.8
Presentation 9.2

Overall 8.6

/edit/ Ooops beaten

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hoooooooly shit. :lol The cutscenes and voice acting in that Gametrailers review....wow.

I don't think I can play this.

Osuwari

my 2 cents:

the game is practically Fusion 2, so if you liked that game, you're golden, but if you like more Super, you won't like this very much because it is very linear and it is riddled with cutscenes.

i'm not holding any hope for sequence breaks so far. something might be found but seems very unlikely (Fusion never got real SBs)

Alex

Fluctuation in opinions, conflicted arguments and differing review scores makes me more interested in a game I had almost forgotten about.

Could mean it's worse, could mean the design isn't as safe and bland as the typical "REWARD THE FRANCHISE GAME WITH 10's" review swill. It's why on the console scene, B-tier may as well stand for best tier.

.la1n

Boney said:
Do you consider Fusion a Metroid game?

Not so much as Super Metroid or Zero Mission but as well as I can remember it was a fun game to play when I was younger and one of my first gba purchases. If I went back and replayed it i'm not so sure i'd feel the same way.

scitek

Lyphen said:
Hoooooooly shit. :lol The cutscenes and voice acting in that Gametrailers review....wow.

I don't think I can play this.

The cutscenes LOOK stunning, it's the voice-acting that yeesh-worthy.

Kobun Heat said:
I didn't finish the game thinking that it would be this divisive, that's for sure! From what I've read, I can understand all the complaints -- I don't think G4 or Game Informer are being irrational. I like that there's such a diversity of opinion about the choices the game makes. (But it's really good.)
You mentioned on your Twitter that you 100%ed it.

How long did it take you?

Boney said:
;)

you do know I've agreed with your complains though.
I appreciate that. I wasn't addressing you directly, of course. You're actually very thoughtful and tolerant. I'm thinking more of the sorts of people who piss and moan about opinions that contradict their own yet never manage to counter with anything interesting or insightful themselves. You know, the type that offhandedly dismiss others, but refuse to engage in any sort of meaningful dialogue.

Of course, I'm still totally willing to be hard on you as well. ;)

Boney said:
@GrotesqueBeauty
Oof. Fusion didn't even have much leeway. I hope subsequent play-throughs reveal at least a few possible variations.

Osuwari

Boney said:
It's a shame since no other series really does that, and it's been 6 years since the last game. But I still feel it's wrong to judge it on the franchise's past elements, and not what it set out to do. On a personal level, it's a bummer, but it shouldn't be a factor while reviewing the game.

@GrotesqueBeauty

i wouldn't put this game in the category of 2D Metroids since the movement is in 3D and has a mot of differences. it is really a new kind of Metroid game.
that said, i would like a 2D Metroid for 3DS.

Oxx

I'll probably take a look at the Kohler, Eurogamer, and Edge reviews at some point, but as a long-time sceptic of the game I don't really feel inclined to rush to the stores next week.

Combine

Banned
Why the hell didn't they get Jennifer Hale to voice Samus? She would have been perfect for the role (She already did Samus' grunts and screams in the Prime series). She could have done her Commander Shepherd routine from Mass Effect and it'd work better than what I heard in the GameTrailers review.

Top Bottom