• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

desertdroog

Wow, such a divisive game regarding the spectrum of up and down review scores.

To those in the know, has any Metroid fans given their bias on it? Meaning, is there a generation of gamers who will dig this title vs. just someone looking for a new game to play?

I guess I'm asking if those whose first Metroid game was the Prime series vs. those who started on any of the prior 2d versions are causing such a rift?

Or is this something completely unrelated?

Morgan Webb :lol

Anyways. The gist seems to be awesome game, don't care for the cinematics/story which is dragging the score down by a lot. I have a soft spot for cheese so I don't think it'll bother me too much.

Waiting for the GameTrailers review to go up.

Rich!

So, the second playthrough lets you skip cutscenes?

Thats it, when I get the game I'm going to download a complete save from the internet, and start a fresh new game using it. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's cutscenes - in any game, really. Just personal taste.

farnham

Banned
Shiggie said:
How come we(most of GAF) dont treat game reviews like movie reviews? only trusting reviewers who are trusted...

Who the fuck is Abbie Heppe?
well there are generally trusted game review sites/magazines like edge, gamespot, 1up and eurogamer. G4 and gameinformer is definately not one of them. IGN is in a weird middle spot

Empty

Diffense said:
Can anyone who read Kohler's Wired review confirm that it's spoiler free?
No revelation of specifics at all?
I'm tempted to read that one and possibly Parish.

tiny spoilers. he mentions just the basic set up of the story.

Hiltz

I read some of the reviews and I'm actually still excited for the game despite some of the confirmations I had about the game's potential flaws. I'm surprised that the story seems to be the strongest point of the game while the gameplay is the weakest.

I am surprised by Destructoid's review as they are usually ones I trust. Fortunately, I also trust Craig from IGN whose score seems to highlight the majority of positive and negative aspects of the game.

- So we've got a surprisingly good story despite some awkward monologue
- seemingly epic and creative boss battles
- solid but repetitive combat
- sitting duck issue with first-person mode
- good music and voice acting (well the latter really depends no who you ask)

Jex

heringer said:
Shame Parish isn't doing the 1UP review. He is my favorite editor over there.
True that, which is why I enjoy going to his personal site.

Well, that's quite a spectrum of reviews.

LM4sure

Banned
With all these negative remarks about the cut scenes, why the hell did the developers not let players skip that crap?!

MGS4 had awful cut scenes, but at least I could skip them!

Doesn't really seem like the reviews are all over the place. Most hover around the average scores for the site/magazine. You only had the one high score from a Nintendo fan and the one low from a hater.

looking forward to whenever it comes in the mail. I'm guessing the 2nd considering it is from Amazon. Have class all day :(

farnham

Banned
to be honest i thought the scores would be a lot more over the place (like gamespot giving it 6.5 and ign giving it a 8.0 and 1up giving it a A- or something)

it looks like the general consensus is that its a 8.5ish game with some people not sharing this opinion.

Gigglepoo

desertdroog said:
To those in the know, has any Metroid fans given their bias on it? Meaning, is there a generation of gamers who will dig this title vs. just someone looking for a new game to play?

I guess I'm asking if those whose first Metroid game was the Prime series vs. those who started on any of the prior 2d versions are causing such a rift?

Or is this something completely unrelated?

If you're curious:

I played Metroid when I was six years old. I've beaten 3 games (Metroid, Fusion, and Other M) and played a significant amount of four others (Super, Primes, Hunters). I've never played Metroid II. I consider Prime the best in the series, though the original is probably my favorite.

Other M is really fun, and that's all that matters to. The drawn-out cutscenes aren't enough to kill the experience, and I really love the controls. I really think anyone who wants a great action game will enjoy this.

desertdroog

Seda said:
Metroid Prime was my first Metroid game. I have since then played and beaten all of the major Metroid titles except Return of Samus. I've really enjoyed them all.
I'm glad to hear that these games transcends the test of time and that my view isn't obfuscated through glasses of nostalgia. I guess I'm trying to state that outside of retro system fans, growing up with the NES has allowed me the ability to overlook current games flaws that get panned for minor annoyances.

And that is irrespective of new IP's or new takes on beloved ones.

Sadist

Destructoid review surprises me too btw. But that's something I appreciate about those guys, alsways a surprise up their sleeve. I steel remember their rather positive review of Dead Rising Wii :p

Gravijah said:
You shouldn't be allowed to skip cutscenes. Developers put all this work into making them and you just wanna skip over them?

Because sometimes you want to play the game twice (crazy, I know) and you don't really want to sit through them twice. Or the game just had bad cutscenes, which seems to be the case for this game, and you want to play the game.

It's an option that should always be in games. Same with pausing cutscenes. The worst is when there is a long cutscene and hitting any button causes you to skip it. Games like Mafia 2 have a good solution where you can pause, then choose to skip. I still don't get why some developers struggle with that stuff.

Ridley327

Gravijah said:
You shouldn't be allowed to skip cutscenes. Developers put all this work into making them and you just wanna skip over them?
I'm sure Sonic Team put a lot of work into the narrative and cutscenes of Sonic 2006 (certainly more than the rest of the game), but all the effort in the world does not change the fact that they all suck.

Instro

As expected, a very love or hate game. I hope the game sells though, Nintendo had the right idea with Samus in 3rd person and 2.5D so it would be kind of sad if this game bombs and gets middling reviews. Who knows what would happen to the franchise then.

Also, jesus G4.

Gravijah

Ridley327 said:
I'm sure Sonic Team put a lot of work into the narrative and cutscenes of Sonic 2006, but all the effort in the world does not change the fact that they all suck.

You need to learn how to respect developers, boy.

With most reviews it reads like the story, cutscene and characterization fears were accurate but it seems the cutscenes are only heavy during the beginning and ending which is good to know. Gameplay seems to be generally liked outside of annoying quirks. Seems it's "good enough" overall. I can easily live with that. Can I play it now?

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Gravijah said:
I don't get this logic. Not everyone enjoys the half-baked stories that tend to plague gaming. Some of us just want to play.

Gravijah

Dr. Strangelove said:
I don't get this logic. Not everyone enjoys the half-baked stories that tend to plague gaming. Some of us just want to play.

If you don't like the cutscenes, you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the game. I'm sorry.

desertdroog

I've seen comments from those who have played the game that the controls are imprecise, particularly jumping. Can anyone elaborate? Does this impede jumping to platforms, something that my finger memory can machine gun through on other Metroid titles...without half thinking. Like the classic jump from a corner to another corner of ledges in a vertical area at seemingly pixel perfect hit detection while in a rhythm ...if that makes sense.

Top Bottom