• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Wizpig

Teknoman said:
Phantom Hourglass would've been ALOT better if that temple wasnt timed.
Phantom Hourglass would've been a lot better if every dungeon had a new music, like in Link's Awakening.
Instead, they all use the same music.

But the whole Temple of the Ocean King discussion... jesus! it wasn't THAT bad! it was pretty fun with those new monsters and the fact that you could "speed-run" it after you got new powers/items, etc.
It was well designed.

And the sea exploration was fucking awesome, better than Wind Waker maybe.
I simply loved it.
The plot was pretty useless though, and it ruined Wind Waker's ending. kind of. Spirit Tracks has a good plot.
Noooooo not another Zelda discussion
Sorry, you are right.

Sadist said:
Noooooo not another Zelda discussion :lol
259ec76.gif

ultim8p00

Banned
Metroid Prime 1 and 2 took me like months to beat and it was awesome. I always felt like I was in this lost world playing them. Totally immersed. Does this feel the same?

mjc

ultim8p00 said:
Under 10 hours for a Metroid game? Really? Damn, I guess this is not for me then.

notsureifserious.jpg

Most people including myself can beat Zero Mission in 3 or less hours.

Kard8p3

I just sat through the newest invisible walls to hear more of their metroid impressions. They pretty much said despite some new stuff that might not work as well as hoped it's an awesome game that captures the spirit of the Metroid series.

Teknoman

richisawesome said:
Super Metroid takes me under 3 hours to finish with a high % of pickups, and I can blaze through Metroid Prime in 6 or so. I'm satisfied with the game length.

See? And most Metroid games take me about 20hrs or so game time, not counting deaths or getting lost since i'm a completionist.

Rich!

Teknoman said:
See? And most Metroid games take me about 20hrs or so game time, not counting deaths or getting lost since i'm a completionist.

The only game in the series that I spend a lot of time on is Metroid Prime 2. I love it, but I get lost so fucking much. :lol

I know Metroid Prime like the back of my hand though.

Beth Cyra

Sadist said:
Metroid Other M is more like Super/Fusion/Zero Mission than the Prime Trilogy.

*Que Anihawk for Prime dislike*

So awesome, two of my top 3 games in the franchise.

The wait is really getting to me now.

pulga

Banned
Eh, was expecting polarizing reviews. Don't give a crap, game sounds awesome and can't wait for it.

Oh, fuck G4. I understand harsh reviews, but this is less than a 50%. HIGHLY doubt the game deserves this, but I'll have to beat it first to make my own opinion valid on the subject matter.

Sadist

Have a lot of love for Fusion as well. Replayed it a few weeks ago and it's so good and engaging.

Hated the SA-X battle though, so nerve-wrecking. In a good way. Also played Zero Mission, which I don't own though. Come to think of it, I only own the Prime Trilogy and Fusion.

Kard8p3

TruePrime said:
So awesome, two of my top 3 games in the franchise.

The wait is really getting to me now.

A couple reviews have basically called it a 3D Fusion so if you love Fusion you should have no problem with this game.

Beth Cyra

Kard8p3 said:
A couple reviews have basically called it a 3D Fusion so if you love Fusion you should have no problem with this game.

I know, that is why I am dying here.

Fusion and Prime 3 I love alot, but I as time has gone on I would say Fusion is probably my #1 Metroid so hearing everything has gotten me extremely excited. Could very well end up as my game of the year.

Wizpig

Fusion is my favorite Metroid game along with Prime 1, because those were my first Metroid games.
Aaand... I never finished Super Metroid.

My major gripe is that I wanted a Fusion sequel on the DS: Metroid Dread.
Instead, we get a Fusion prequel on the Wii, with Team Ninja and super-long cinematics (dealwithit.gif).

This is why i was/i'm a little skeptical, but i still have hope for Metroid Dread... on the 3DS!

Teknoman

pulga said:
Eh, was expecting polarizing reviews. Don't give a crap, game sounds awesome and can't wait for it.

Oh, fuck G4. I understand harsh reviews, but this is less than a 50%. HIGHLY doubt the game deserves this, but I'll have to beat it first to make my own opinion valid on the subject matter.

Just got back home so im late...but what the? They rated it this low?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Just saw the gametrailers review (8.6) and although the points of the game appear constructive and valid. I despise how casually and fanboyish they try to expertise the game's development. You hear the phrase "from the minds of ninja gaiden" or "team ninja" about 10 times in a 5 minute review. For all the talk about the story, and return to classic Metroid, no mention of the single most important entity involved, Yoshio Sakamoto.

I keep hearing the dialogue, or should i say monologue. And i'm baffled since when did every single gamer become an english and drama major. I mean the voice acting, writing is ok. Nothing awful like the billions of Japanese games we've all played before it. I think this new FPS generation is to used to story telling being about one liners. Maybe that's what some of us would prefer Samus to say, "go to hell", as she shoots a missile in the Metroid's nucleus.

"Excellent voice work and fantastic orchestral score that fits the Metroid style extremely well." Craig Harris, IGN

But Japanese story-telling is different. Goichi Suda. Hideo Kojima. Yoshio Sakamoto. They have their unique style. Sakamoto has the more difficult job here, especially in this day and age, where the internet imposes so many rules on what can be done to a sequel. The older it is, the more rules.

skip

I mean the voice acting, writing is ok.

when it comes to Samus, the voice acting is totally not ok. best voice is anthony l. jackson, and there's even one flashback scene where Samus finally emotes, but uggghghhhhhhgh. don't have to be a drama/english major.

Beth Cyra

skip said:
when it comes to Samus, the voice acting is totally not ok. best voice is anthony l. jackson, and there's even one flashback scene where Samus finally emotes, but uggghghhhhhhgh. don't have to be a drama/english major.

Uh, I don't know about you, but the last thing I wanted from Samus was for her emote a great deal.

The less she does the better in my opinion.

Mafro

skip said:
For some reason I've got images in my mind of Samus looking like this ^_^

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Haziqonfire said:

Just watched the review. I'm still massively excited and can't wait to play the game, but I can't really fault the reasons she sites here. Samus has always been a silent bad-ass who's never sexualized except for a very small glimpse at the very end (and only if you're good enough).

The GAME looks awesome, but I question the direction they're taking the character. I think they've decided that in order to try and increase her appeal in Japan, they needed to make her sexier and make her more insecure and submissive. A hentai fanboy's wet dream.

I can't wait to play this game, but from everything I've seen I'll be largely ignoring the story.

Wizpig said:
People that dislike Prime actually exist?
It's like... finding people that dislike Mario Galaxy!

I really loved the Prime games myself, and thought that Retro did an incredible job translating the gameplay of Metroid into 3 dimensions.

skip

TruePrime said:
Uh, I don't know about you, but the last thing I wanted from Samus was for her emote a great deal.

The less she does the better in my opinion.

the point is, if we have to hear her deliver dialogue at all, it better be done well. and it isn't.

mantidor

Boney said:
Sorry I guess.. I it was mentioned in multiple reviews and it was a joke on my part as well. Don't take it that bad.

I'm completely irrational about spoilers, but as much as I should just stay out of the thread, I can't with this game, the opinion is so divided that I need to know more impressions, and this is still the safest place, reviews are a big no no for me.

Sadist

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I keep hearing the dialogue, or should i say monologue. And i'm baffled since when did every single gamer become an english and drama major. I mean the voice acting, writing is ok. Nothing awful like the billions of Japanese games we've all played before it. I think this new FPS generation is to used to story telling being about one liners. Maybe that's what some of us would prefer Samus to say, "go to hell", as she shoots a missile in the Metroid's nucleus.
Absolutely not. It's not just Metroid (supposedly) but other games western or Japanese struggle with subpar dialogues and many uninteresting stories. In an industry where games are getting bigger in scope it's at times mindboggeling that publishers who present their games with engaging stories or deep characters still underachieve at this point. It's stupid. Don't hype it if you can't deliver.

Teknoman

Looking at the gameinformer review and the G4tv review, I still dont see how people feel pointing the remote at the screen for first person is clumsy.

Granted I haven't played it yet, but from playing other Wii games where you might have to do something similar, or even repeating the motion in real life without a game being played, it seems so easy to do. Clumsy means you have to fumble with the controls...and something as simple as letting go with your left hand, and moving the remote to pointing position with your right seems incredibly easy.

Whatever, I havent trusted a GI interview since Paper Mario Thousand year door got such a low score, and G4 is only good for E3 coverage.

EDIT: All gamestops should have this game in the back room at this point.

etiolate

Banned
The G4 review actually puts the game up to its own standards and judges it by what it claims to do. The fact that it brings up the sexism in the power system is surprisingly like real journalism in a game review. Not advanced for any other media, but more critical and challenging than what passes for a game review these days.

This what I truly dislike in game reviews:

-Scores across a website: Makes people want to compare different reviewers as though they are equally adept just because they are on the same site.
-People who give scores and then claim "You should read the review!"
--These people often have reviews that are mostly previews with unargued opinion.

The problem is they list the features, give a brief opinion, "the gameplay is good" and never explain why or argue why this is so. I do not think this is just because they want to write a quick review, I believe many of these reviewers never even think about why some element about a game is "good" and what constitutes that element being good. It's just a quick, shallow opinion.

Rarely do the texts explain the score, they don't reason out the strengths and weaknesses. It is just a number which you can only relate to games you played that they've given a number, and then, when the audience tries to reason any logic out by that, the whole system falls apart.

Some of the reviews actually touched on the inherit conflicts in Other M's design. GamesRadar's actually divies up the review into the various things claimed about Other M and whether those claims hold up. That actually informs me more about what I am getting into. This is much better than, "they changed some things, the action is fastpaced, I liked it/disliked it!"

Poyunch

etiolate said:
The G4 review actually puts the game up to its own standards and judges it by what it claims to do. The fact that it brings up the sexism in the power system is surprisingly like real journalism in a game review. Not advanced for any other media, but more critical and challenging than what passes for a game review these days.

This what I truly dislike in game reviews:

-Scores across a website: Makes people want to compare different reviewers as though they are equally adept just because they are on the same site.
-People who give scores and then claim "You should read the review!"
--These people often have reviews that are mostly previews with unargued opinion.

The problem is they list the features, give a brief opinion, "the gameplay is good" and never explain why or argue why this is so. I do not think this is just because they want to write a quick review, I believe many of these reviewers never even think about why some element about a game is "good" and what constitutes that element being good. It's just a quick, shallow opinion.

Rarely do the texts explain the score, they don't reason out the strengths and weaknesses. It is just a number which you can only relate to games you played that they've given a number, and then, when the audience tries to reason any logic out by that, the whole system falls apart.

Some of the reviews actually touched on the inherit conflicts in Other M's design. GamesRadar's actually divies up the review into the various things claimed about Other M and whether those claims hold up. That actually informs me more about what I am getting into. This is much better than, "they changed some things, the action is fastpaced, I liked it/disliked it!"
The arguable themes of sexism in a game is irrelevant. The bolded is the most important thing about what I want from a game. Playability. Not some uneducated whining about Samus' character.

skip

Teknoman said:
Looking at the gameinformer review and the G4tv review, I still dont see how people feel pointing the remote at the screen for first person is clumsy.

Granted I haven't played it yet, but from playing other Wii games where you might have to do something similar, or even repeating the motion in real life without a game being played, it seems so easy to do. Clumsy means you have to fumble with the controls...and something as simple as letting go with your left hand, and moving the remote to pointing position with your right seems incredibly easy.

it's not incredibly easy when you're asked to do it in the midst of a tense boss fight, and you have a limited window to fire missiles.

there's a grip adjustment involved transitioning between two-hand horizontal and one-hand vertical (feel like I'm describing kama sutra), and yes, it can be clumsy. you'll see what everyone's talking about when you get to play.

etiolate

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
The arguable themes of sexism in a game is irrelevant. The bolded is the most important thing about what I want from a game. Playability. Not some uneducated whining about Samus' character.

Congrats on your low expectations?

Poyunch

etiolate said:
What are you even talking about? I know you have your doubts about the game but how could you possibly defend anything having to do with that G4 review?

dkeane

skip said:
it's not incredibly easy when you're asked to do it in the midst of a tense boss fight, and you have a limited window to fire missiles.

there's a grip adjustment involved transitioning between two-hand horizontal and one-hand vertical (feel like I'm describing kama sutra), and yes, it can be clumsy. you'll see what everyone's talking about when you get to play.
Isn't that the point? The mechanic is meant to cause tension with the player and make them weary to use it but reward them when they use it correctly. It's not meant to be a "win button"
Or are you saying it technically doesn't function correctly?
I can't wait to play this, should be interesting to compare experiences.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:

Is it really low expectations?

As it stands a game review can give really important information that is needed for gameplay, which would be most important for the large majority of gamers seeking out reviews about if they should buy a game or not.

The talk about sexism and Samus's character though is view point that will be contested on bothsides no matter how offensive/great it is to one person from the next.

It would seem that holding the content in questoin against a game, more so one that works well isn't right in the context of a video game review.

Should this change? Maybe, I am not one to say, but given how one reviewer will trash it only to go to the next review from a different person and have them say the story is great. It makes since to have the review be about the gameplay systems in place in a title the content of the story.

farnham

Banned
skip said:

well RE4 was similar as well. you had zombies approaching to you and you had to find a good place to stand and shoot because you couldnt shoot while you are moving. a lot of people complained but overall the game got good scores.

skip

dkeane said:
Isn't that the point? The mechanic is meant to cause tension with the player and make them weary to use it but reward them when they use it correctly. It's not meant to be a "win button"
I can't wait to play this should be interesting to compare experiences.

the physical bond between you and the controller should be as invisible as possible, and intentional/accidental awkwardness should not be cooked into game design. that's what I believe, anyway.

RurouniZel said:
Just watched the review. I'm still massively excited and can't wait to play the game, but I can't really fault the reasons she sites here. Samus has always been a silent bad-ass who's never sexualized except for a very small glimpse at the very end (and only if you're good enough).

The GAME looks awesome, but I question the direction they're taking the character. I think they've decided that in order to try and increase her appeal in Japan, they needed to make her sexier and make her more insecure and submissive. A hentai fanboy's wet dream.

I can't wait to play this game, but from everything I've seen I'll be largely ignoring the story.

Yeah, it sounds exactly like the kind of story I most hate. And the gameplay... I don't know, it's just never looked that great. My expectations were never particularly high. Still though, it is disappointing to think that they thought that THAT was the direction they should take the story in... I think the constant sexism in their stories is the thing I dislike most about Nintendo (See the Mario and Zelda series for far too many examples of that), even above their awful online play. Oh, and the Wiimote-only controls sound needlessly annoying. Just use the nunchuck like Metroid Prime Trilogy! Why in the world did they do it they way they did? I'm sure it somewhat works, but still. Oh well... I'm sure it's often fun to play, but from Metroid, as the next Metroid game after the incredibly great Metroid Prime games...

wsippel

Banned
etiolate said:
Sure, except that the game isn't sexist at all. It's actually probably less sexist compared to Sakamotos former Metroid games.

skip

farnham said:
well RE4 was similar as well. you had zombies approaching to you and you had to find a good place to stand and shoot because you couldnt shoot while you are moving. a lot of people complained but overall the game got good scores.

that may have worked for RE, but in Metroid, you've always been able to shoot missiles at will and on the move. the simple solution would have been to assign them to the unused B button on the back, but for some reason, they didn't.

Beth Cyra

skip said:
the physical bond between you and the controller should be as invisible as possible, and intentional/accidental awkwardness should not be cooked into game design. that's what I believe, anyway.
I have never felt tension in pressing the A/X button so this method could actually cause that.

Besides, I unlike alot of gamers don't forget I am holding a controller and playing a game, I am always aware of it so this wouldn't be a problem to me like so many others.

The Giant Bomb review went a long way to revitalizing my hype for the game. If I end up largely agreeing with the things said in the review, I'm going to be satisfied.

Boney

Banned
skip said:
that may have worked for RE, but in Metroid, you've always been able to shoot missiles at will and on the move. the simple solution would have been to assign them to the unused B button on the back, but for some reason, they didn't.
game design.

Top Bottom