• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

markot said:
Terrible stories and completely invasive convoluted cut scenes? I guess they all gave MGS games 5/10s then >.>?
I guess it's because it's jolting to see all that in a Metroid game, where the series is so renowned for telling a story through its atmosphere and gameplay rather than with words.

We all know what to expect with Kojima and MGS so it's always reviewed with the gameplay in mind first.

By the way, does anyone know if this was Sakamoto's idea to try and tell Samus' back story or was it Team Ninja who insisted that they wanted to do this?

I think this could've turned out great, but I guess Team Ninja just wasn't capable enough to pull it off. I'm talking about the storytelling, of course, since the gameplay seems solid and still fun.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Boney said:
Did you take in consideration what they were trying to accomplish with the single remote controls?

I'm not saying it vindicates them in any way, but it's certainly an important angle..

I absolutely get what they were trying to accomplish, I just don't think it works. The nature of the third-person gameplay is going to result in moving the controller around a bit during intense moments. Switching to third-person almost always involves a moment of "find the reticule" as you and the Wii agree on what "pointed at the screen" means, and sometimes that can blow your opportunity to get a missile off in boss fights or other situations. It just doesn't work as smoothly as it should.

If it used the Classic Controller, I think it would be fine. Plenty of games have a view change for zooming in or using particular weapons. But the attempt to integrate that game mechanic with a motion control gimmick ends up torpedoing the whole concept. It's also a constant "pull you out of the game" issue, as you must rearrange your method of control repeatedly, which simply serves to remind you you're playing a game. It's very difficult to really "get lost" in the world of Metroid when such an obtrusive control gimmick is forced upon the player. Major immersion breaker, at least for me.

Just out of interest, does this seem accurate to anyone else -

Metroid: You're changing it Nintendo, I don't like it.
Zelda: It's too samey Nintendo, I don't like it.

Roto13

farnham said:
pleasing a zelda fan is easy

link, zelda, ganondorf, master sword
forest temple, fire temple, water temple..
boomerang, bombs, hookshot..

put those in and you will win.
You've never seen a Zelda thread, have you?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That is one of my major concerns, the switching to 1st person view. I'm a twitchy motherfucker and I get see myself accidentally setting it off a few times.

It seems the subtitle of the game has no clear explanation.

Yeah, I've always wondered what it means.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
brandonh83 said:
1267339048999.gif
:lol :lol

Also everyone trying to insult G4 because of Morgan Webb (and making sexist comments about her) or imply an anti-Wii conspiracy is an idiot.

hyduK

Banned
RobotNinjaHornets said:

The difference is that Metroid already received an update last gen, which brought it as close to perfection as possible. Also, there's very few (read: none) Metroid Prime style games. Zelda has been using the same formula since LttP, and has had several clones that up'd the anti in certain areas.

highspeeddub said:
ha, the bad reviews make me want to play this more! But I'm not taking the G4 review seriously, girls don't know shit about videogames :) .
Sounds like someone's paging Dragona... :lol

edit: nope, Amir0x. :lol :lol :lol

Gravijah

EmCeeGramr said:
Also everyone trying to insult G4 because of Morgan Webb (and making sexist comments about her) or imply an anti-Wii conspiracy is an idiot.

G4 has Adam Sessler, and that's all that matters. <333 SESSIE

farnham

Banned
hyduK said:
The difference is that Metroid already received an update last gen, which brought it as close to perfection as possible. Also, there's very few (read: none) Metroid Prime style games. Zelda has been using the same formula since LttP, and has had several clones that up'd the anti in certain areas.
i think bioshock is pretty similar to metroid prime

Gravijah said:
G4 has Adam Sessler, and that's all that matters. <333 SESSIE

And Patrick Klepek, aka the man who was leading the charge during IW-gate. Cool dudes, the both of them (from what I've read from them anyway, lol)

Kard8p3

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I guess it's because it's jolting to see all that in a Metroid game, where the series is so renowned for telling a story through its atmosphere and gameplay rather than with words.

We all know what to expect with Kojima and MGS so it's always reviewed with the gameplay in mind first.

By the way, does anyone know if this was Sakamoto's idea to try and tell Samus' back story or was it Team Ninja who insisted that they wanted to do this?

I think this could've turned out great, but I guess Team Ninja just wasn't capable enough to pull it off. I'm talking about the storytelling, of course, since the gameplay seems solid and still fun.

Team Ninja had nothing to do with the story. The story is all on Sakamoto.

Boney

Banned
Retro fanboys are the worst for me.
First of all, all 3 Prime games are way different in structure, pacing and style. They're good games for sure, especially the first one. But this fixation on having Retro take care of the franchise (it even happened in the DKC:R thread) is insane. Prime 2 and 3 have lots of things that are absolutely "out of place" in the franchise. I welcome them, but the people bemoaning this are just.. agh.
Even Prime 1, the most similar to Super (not the franchise), feels like a blue print copy (kinda like OoT and TP) with different mechanics in place. They even took the speed runnin glitches out!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Trilogy, but what the hell people.

RobotNinjaHornets said:

That's accurate for everything on the internet.

Musician Changes up style: WTF why did he change it? HE'S SELLING OUT!!!
Musician stays the same: This is more of the same, I'm tired of this. He needs to switch it up.

Movie Series changes: This isn't the what I used to like!!!
Movie Series stays the same: Another one!!?!?! PSSSH pass.

It's very difficult to changes just enough and yet keep just enough the same. If this game was a pure 2d game I can guarantee that some dumbass would go " Man Nintendo is surely stuck in the past they need to innovate/add waggle". Shit didn't it happen to NSMB Wii? Hell some people hated Galaxy because it felt like an expansion pack but yet some were pissed that the hub was gone....

There is always going to be whiners

J-Rock

Banned
markot said:
I have never played a Metroid game where I didnt get stuck for a long ass time >.< Its a tradition!

Pretty much. I find it odd some reviewers are noting this as a major issue. It's Metroid being Metroid.

mantidor

Boney said:
So the biggest criticisms are:

1) Going through the Lava area with your Varia suit in your pocket because Samus wants to impress Adam.

2) Annoying (and ugly) filler characters with bad voice acting, and a cheesy anime story.

why didn't you put that shit in spoilers, seriously, what the hell?

But that sounds pretty damn terrible, that was my biggest fear. Samus acting like a retard. I feel like skipping the game but doing it because of a stupid story seems too harsh. All I'll do for now is just weep for Samus.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
mantidor said:
why didn't you put that shit in spoilers, seriously, what the hell?

What's the spoiler, exactly? That you get the Varia Suit or that there's a lava zone in a Metroid game?

mantidor

MattKeil said:
What's the spoiler, exactly? That you get the Varia Suit or that there's a lava zone in a Metroid game?

It's a pretty big spoiler that Samus wants to impress Adam for me, story wise. Not to mention that you go through an area without your suit, thats a huge gameplay spoiler

I'm sensitive about spoilers :(

RagnarokX

Snuggler said:
A nice review. sum up for those who care:

The Good

* Interesting new take on the series
* Beautiful graphics, memorable scenes
* Combat is satisfying and varied
* Story that adds to the Metroid mythos
* We dive deeper into the character of Samus Aran

The Bad

* It's possible to get stuck with no clear path forward *
* The way new weapons and abilities are unlocked is ridiculous
* Without being able to select weapons manually, things are a little simpler
* The voice acting and script have a few cringe-inducing moments
* The issue of Samus being a woman is hit a little harder than needed

The Ugly

* The fans squabbling over the change in direction. Hell, the series survived first-person and motion controls, didn't it?

* I have this problem with every Metroid game ever.
So this game is bad because you always know where to go and also because you don't always know where to go...

Also, I don't get the map argument. I mean:
35dc8zs.gif

Downloaded maps showed items, but there were still secret rooms that usually required shooting, bombing, or scanning every part of the map looking for invisible secret passages.

Other M doesn't show item locations unless you are in the room with the item, and then only if the room is cleared of enemies. And you still have to find the item just like in any other game. Other M may or may not be less challenging with hidden items, but I highly doubt that is because of the map.

StAidan

J-Rock said:
Pretty much. I find it odd some reviewers are noting this as a major issue. It's Metroid being Metroid.

I was reading the instances of "stuck" as being the forced first-person sections where you play hunt-the-story-progressing-hotspot with your target reticule.

traveler

Not Wario
Sipowicz said:
G4/GI/1up giving a terrible score to a wii game isn't really indicative of anything other than they're reviewing a wii game. Those outlets are not exactly known for their objectivity or the quality of their reviews.

i normally stick to GiantBomb/Eurogamer/Edge/Gamespot and so far so good with those dudes

Uh-huh.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164124
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3179424
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3155329
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3162330
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3141681

AniHawk

I dreamed about her again last night, Smithers. You know that dream where you're in bed and they fly in through the window?

jehuty

Can't wait to try out this game when it comes out! I haven't been let down by a Metroid game yet, I hope the pattern doesn't let up. Hopefully Nintendo gives the fanboys what they want and just makes Metroid: Dread more like super metroid. Talking about dread (or whatever the sequel to fusion will be called), is it pretty much implied that since Samus has Metroid DNA in her (can't use ice beam because of this) that she will be able to absorb enemies energy/power (kinda like a Metroid). I could see Samus acquiring new powers and abilities by absorbing the life source of downed enemies.

Top Bottom