• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

dkeane

skip said:
the physical bond between you and the controller should be as invisible as possible, and intentional/accidental awkwardness should not be cooked into game design. that's what I believe, anyway.
That's cool, I enjoy the challenge of physically moving the Wii controller in games to complete objectives, even if it causes me to fail.
I guess I can't say much more until I play it. If it's like that mini game in Wario on Wii with the vacuum I'll be smashing things.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, it sounds exactly like the kind of story I most hate. And the gameplay... I don't know, it's just never looked that great. My expectations were never particularly high. Still though, it is disappointing to think that they thought that THAT was the direction they should take the story in... I think the constant sexism in their stories is the thing I dislike most about Nintendo (See the Mario and Zelda series for far too many examples of that), even above their awful online play. Oh, and the Wiimote-only controls sound needlessly annoying. Just use the nunchuck like Metroid Prime Trilogy! Why in the world did they do it they way they did? I'm sure it somewhat works, but still. Oh well... I'm sure it's often fun to play, but from Metroid, as the next Metroid game after the incredibly great Metroid Prime games...

I don't mind that they experiment. Experimentation is something the industry (and Nintendo) need to at least try from time to time. They don't always work, but it's worth trying.

The changes to the character however, feel less like an experiment and more like "we're going in this direction from now on". I just hope I'm really really wrong.

skip

TruePrime said:
I have never felt tension in pressing the A/X button so this method could actually cause that.

Besides, I unlike alot of gamers don't forget I am holding a controller and playing a game, I am always aware of it so this wouldn't be a problem to me like so many others.

it isn't genuine/good tension, though. it's you fighting against the interface -- the calibration issue some reviews have mentioned is totally there as you switch from regular to first-person. some people might be able to adapt to it better than others, so good luck.

etiolate

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
What are you even talking about? I know you have your doubts about the game but how could you possibly defend anything having to do with that G4 review?

Remove yourself from a love/hate single plane of thinking. What is said in reviews the like the G4(negative) and GamesRadar(average) both touch on the same issue: the game has inherit conflicts. If you look at a positive review(Kohler's/GiantBomb), you still have an issue brought up by about every review: the dpad is weaker than analog controls and auto-aim is iffy.

I don't care about the scores. I care about actual insights into the game, which G4 has.

What is presented would be a brilliant prequel to Metroid, documenting Samus as she departs the Galactic Federation and sets out on her own; however, at this point she could easily be considered a veteran with more combat experience than half the galactic army combined.

Read more: http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/#ixzz0xqvSiEHp

Below might be a spoiler, so here's your warning.

]Regardless of whether or not the interpretation in Other M can be reconciled with your own perception of her, there is a moment later in the game that cannot be justified…ever. Confronted by her longstanding nemesis, Ridley, she is spliced into flashes of a little girl, crying and afraid, despite the fact she has already defeated Ridley at least FOUR times already, once when he was a powerful robot. Terrible.

Read more: http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/#ixzz0xqwHn0jC

No matter what way you rationalize this mechanic, when you're 10 minutes into the lava sector and you can't use your Varia Suit yet, you will understand how painfully stupid this plot device is.

Read more: http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/#ixzz0xqwb5i2i

These are frustrating conflicts in the game. Pointing these out is informative. Saying "I liked it", tell the audience nothing but your opinion.

mantidor

PounchEnvy said:
The arguable themes of sexism in a game is irrelevant. The bolded is the most important thing about what I want from a game. Playability. Not some uneducated whining about Samus' character.

I don't know, from interviews is clear Sakamoto wanted this huge enphasis on story and character development, is only fair to judge the game by that, this is what he wanted to sell after all. Hell, the whole Iwata asks was only about the story with very little mention of gameplay. I find very logical to give an important enphasis to the story and character in the review. These aren't a couple of cutscenes, it was the very focus of the game, the game even has a theater mode! They invested a huge amount of time and money on this narrative.

Beth Cyra

skip said:
it isn't genuine/good tension, though. it's you fighting against the interface -- the calibration issue some reviews have mentioned is totally there as you switch from regular to first-person. some people might be able to adapt to it better than others, so good luck.
As I said, it could.

I'm not trying to say your issues aren't real or justified, I have to play the game for myself.

I was simply pointing out that the whole controller being a natrual extension of a player doesn't work for me as I don't subscribe to that kind of mindset.

Still I don't see this being a problem for me, or I hope not because this is the one thing I have been worried about.

I like the voice acting and the stucture of the game, so much of it as I have seen but the depending on the shift to first person it could be a problem. That and I hate first person peroid so I just wish they had left this out of the game.

etiolate

Banned
mantidor said:
I don't know, from interviews is clear Sakamoto wanted this huge enphasis on story and character development, is only fair to judge the game by that, this is what he wanted to sell after all. Hell, the whole Iwata asks was only about the story with very little mention of gameplay. I find very logical to give an important enphasis to the story and character in the review. These aren't a couple of cutscenes, it was the very focus of the game, the game even has a theater mode! They invested a huge amount of time and money on this narrative.

Exactly.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
Remove yourself from a love/hate single plane of thinking. What is said in reviews the like the G4(negative) and GamesRadar(average) both touch on the same issue: the game has inherit conflicts. If you look at a positive review(Kohler's/GiantBomb), you still have an issue brought up by about every review: the dpad is weaker than analog controls and auto-aim is iffy.

I don't care about the scores. I care about actual insights into the game, which G4 has.

Below might be a spoiler, so here's your warning.

]Regardless of whether or not the interpretation in Other M can be reconciled with your own perception of her, there is a moment later in the game that cannot be justified…ever. Confronted by her longstanding nemesis, Ridley, she is spliced into flashes of a little girl, crying and afraid, despite the fact she has already defeated Ridley at least FOUR times already, once when he was a powerful robot. Terrible.

Read more: http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/#ixzz0xqwHn0jC

These are frustrating conflicts in the game. Pointing these out is informative. Saying "I liked it", tell the audience nothing but your opinion.

How is this? Given the lack of story in game there is no way to tell if she has these issues in the past.

As it stands we know she about her family being ripped apart and other negative things haunitng her, this could be nothing more then a biproduct of moving to a more story heavy game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo released mediocre first party game

community go into free-fall damage control

I await Zelda

to the sky, my sword

A poem.

markot

Banned
Rez said:

I await Zelda

to the sky, my sword

A poem.
Wha >_<?

Hows it mediocre? Seems to be getting good reviews overall.

Beth Cyra

Rez said:

I await Zelda

to the sky, my sword

A poem.

The majority of reviews are at 80 or more, so mediocre is negative hyperbole and you know it.

That and for most of us there is no damage control and we are waiting to see what we think of the game ourselves when it comes out next week.

ultim8p00

Banned
dkeane said:
Isn't that the point? The mechanic is meant to cause tension with the player and make them weary to use it but reward them when they use it correctly. It's not meant to be a "win button"
Or are you saying it technically doesn't function correctly?
I can't wait to play this, should be interesting to compare experiences.

Holy shit :lol :lol :lol

"It's meant to suck! They totally meant to do that!"

Yeah, no.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
The average story and its plot devices just have no meaning to me. I want Metroid gameplay. That's the most important thing to me. Maybe you should just get over the story. Yes that Varia suit is stupid and so is the Ridley thing but I care much more about exploring the environment and being rewarded for something.

The powerup system with Adam is a stupid plot device but it's basically the same principle but a little more linear. There comes a point in a Metroid game where you won't be able to progress without a certain powerup. Instead of trying to find a powerup Samus somehow forgot to bring from the last game Adam permits you to use it. It's more limited but it's basically the same thing.

mantidor

yeah the game isn't really mediocre, even if the story is terrible and some people seem to have issues with the controls the game overall looks very polished.

RurouniZel said:
I don't mind that they experiment. Experimentation is something the industry (and Nintendo) need to at least try from time to time. They don't always work, but it's worth trying.

True, I guess. Experiments can sometimes work. More often not, but... I don't know, it just seems like that ignoring the nunchuck was somewhat pointless. Digital only movement? Really?

The changes to the character however, feel less like an experiment and more like "we're going in this direction from now on". I just hope I'm really really wrong.

I hope not. Maybe if Retro makes a Metroid game again... though I'm sure that after making three of them they don't want to do another one right now.

That is, I know that Japan is more sexist than America so I expect more of that from them, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be disappointed by it.

TruePrime said:
Is it really low expectations?

As it stands a game review can give really important information that is needed for gameplay, which would be most important for the large majority of gamers seeking out reviews about if they should buy a game or not.

The talk about sexism and Samus's character though is view point that will be contested on bothsides no matter how offensive/great it is to one person from the next.

It would seem that holding the content in questoin against a game, more so one that works well isn't right in the context of a video game review.

Should this change? Maybe, I am not one to say, but given how one reviewer will trash it only to go to the next review from a different person and have them say the story is great. It makes since to have the review be about the gameplay systems in place in a title the content of the story.

But story does matter in games, and disliking a game for its story but not its gameplay seems perfectly acceptable to me. I mean, yes, gameplay matters most for games, and a great game with an awful/sexist story could still be great. But stories do matter, and holding a story against a game... yes, I definitely find it reasonable.

Of course though, considering how much I complained about Twilight Princess' story (while loving the gameplay), I should think that that's my opinion. Along with a few gameplay issues like the low difficulty level in comparison to the N64 Zeldas, how much I disliked the story really impacted my enjoyment of the game for a long, long time. It wasn't until over a year later when I finally managed to ignore that stuff and just focus on the game itself that I really appreciated how great a game it was... gameplay definitely matters most, and it's an outstanding game, in my top 5 GC games now.

But that doesn't mean that I don't still have a problem with the story, I do, and I think my reaction was reasonable. I can ignore bad stories, sure -- but why should I have to, and why shouldn't that factor into a review of the game?

Oh, and Phantom Hourglass also helped improve my thoughts on Twilight Princess. I mean, PH's story was so ridiculously, offensively terrible that TP looked great in comparison... the gameplay was okay but not great, but the story... wow. At least there ST was an improvement, though gameplay-wise it was about the same.

As for stories in Metroid games, I really liked how the Metroid Prime games did it, with the journals and logs for you to find if you wished. It really was just about a perfectly presented story -- it's there if you want to look for it, in great and interesting detail, but people who don't care don't even need to look for them. Brilliant. The stories themselves were nothing amazing, but were more than good enough.

mantidor said:

Indeed, and that's exactly why it's so important to be very disappointed in how pointlessly sexist it is.

etiolate

Banned
TruePrime said:
How is this? Given the lack of story in game there is no way to tell if she has these issues in the past.

As it stands we know she about her family being ripped apart and other negative things haunitng her, this could be nothing more then a biproduct of moving to a more story heavy game.

Let me rock your world. Gameplay is story. Every Metroid game where you were a badass bounty hunter, self-reliant and alone were not just separate action segments, they were the story. Just like a fight in a kung fu movie is part of the story, how the fighter moves, the style, the strategy, are all part of that character and in a good martial arts film, they represent the character. The same holds true for games.

You can't invent a personality for a character that has existed for over a decade. The personality exists in what she and the player have done.

The Giant Bomb review implies the bottle ship
is the only environment in the whole game. If that's true, I hope it's as big as the cinematics imply.

ChoklitReign said:
is the only environment in the whole game. If that's true, I hope it's as big as the cinematics imply.

Much like the ship in Fusion, it holds a wide variety of landscapes to explore.

skip

ChoklitReign said:

the bottle ship
is the only environment in the whole game, but there is variance within. think along the lines of, but not exactly, fusion.

AniHawk

mantidor said:
yeah the game isn't really mediocre, even if the story is terrible and some people seem to have issues with the controls the game overall looks very polished.

So it should please Uncharted 2 fans at least.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
Let me rock your world. Gameplay is story. Every Metroid game where you were a badass bounty hunter, self-reliant and alone were not just separate action segments, they were the story. Just like a fight in a kung fu movie is part of the story, how the fighter moves, the style, the strategy, are all part of that character and in a good martial arts film, they represent the character. The same holds true for games.

You can't invent a personality for a character that has existed for over a decade. The personality exists in what she and the player have done.
Well we are in disagreement because to me before Metroid Fusion and maybe a bit of Metroid II Samus was not thing more then a fucking Robot and any character that was there was what the player gave her.

That and I would argue that your logic goes against everything else she has done when she let the Baby Metroid in II live.

Outside of that she walked in and kicked ass, I killed hundreds of Metroid's and I never once thought to try and give one the benefit of the doubt.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, there was a stream for people wanting to make up their mind before playing it. Reviews couldn't be anymore redundant following that. Amateurs.

Beth Cyra

Rez said:
I mean, there was a stream for people wanting to make up their mind before playing it. Reviews couldn't be anymore redundant following that. Amateurs.

There is a big difference between playing and watching.

Some games are great to watch and not so much to play, while there are also a ton that are boring as hell to watch but a blast to play.

etiolate

Banned
TruePrime said:
Well we are in disagreement because to me before Metroid Fusion and maybe a bit of Metroid II Samus was not thing more then a fucking Robot and any character that was there was what the player gave her.

That and I would argue that your logic goes against everything else she has done when she let the Baby Metroid in II live.

Outside of that she walked in and kicked ass, I killed hundreds of Metroid's and I never once thought to try and give one the benefit of the doubt.

It was a turn for her to let the baby metroid live, but that could be character growth. It is sequential in order. The problem with Other M is that it is post-Metroid 3, but her character feels like it's pre-Metroid. Her character is regressing, almost mutated into something childish, with no regard for her history. If this was done in a way to make it sort of the downfall of Samus, the breaking of a hero, and it was done well, then it could be interesting.

I just really doubt that is the intent.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
It was a turn for her to let the baby metroid live, but that could be character growth. It is sequential in order. The problem with Other M is that it is post-Metroid 3, but her character feels like it's pre-Metroid. Her character is regressing, almost mutated into something childish, with no regard for her history. If this was done in a way to make it sort of the downfall of Samus, the breaking of a hero, and it was done well, then it could be interesting.

I just really doubt that is the intent.

Can't say for sure because I haven't played the game yet. So far I havent' seen anything that would lead me to think that though.

If anything it seems like it is trying to bring Samus out of being an emotionless killer which started with II.

That said I will have formed my opinion next week and then I will see if I agree or disagre with your thoughts.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
wsippel said:
Sure, except that the game isn't sexist at all. It's actually probably less sexist compared to Sakamotos former Metroid games.

This is absurd. Samus' entire character arc in Other M is horrendously sexist. Massive, MASSIVE story spoilers below, so consider yourself warned:

Seriously.

Samus is a highly skilled bounty hunter, and at the time of Other M has been for many years. At this point she has been through the events of the first game, all three Primes, Hunters, and Metroids 2 and Super. She has saved the galaxy (or at least human civilization) many times over. She is no amateur, she has seen serious shit, she is the best there is at what she does as far as has been shown in the 10 games of the series.

So she runs into Adam on the Bottle Ship and feels totally guilty about how she questioned his orders 15 or so years earlier when he was forced to let his brother die rather than try to save him. She thought she could save him and never forgave Adam for not letting her try. So now on the Bottle Ship she decides not to use any of her abilities until Adam authorizes them one-by-one, in order to show him that she has matured and can abide by his orders no matter what. The entire game depicts her as horribly insecure about her abilities, her perception of given situations, and what Adam and the other GalFed soldiers think of her.

Near the end of the game, Adam has to sacrifice himself while he sends Samus to defeat Ridley. He tells her that only she can defeat him, and it's his job to self-destruct the part of the ship containing new freeze-proof metroids, because anyone could do that. But only Samus is badass enough to handle Ridley and the other crazy stuff on the ship. He confirms that she is capable and strong and should forgive herself for everything, and following this she finally begins to believe in herself again. After Adam's sacrifice, she's all business and ready to kick ass for the rest of the game. This is where the game finally starts to feel like it should, narratively.

Please take note that Samus' character arc can be summarized as follows: Despite her great accomplishments, she does not believe herself to be a valuable and capable person and warrior until a male authority figure tells her that's what she is. If this is not a sexist message, I don't know what is.

Beth Cyra

MattKeil said:
This is absurd. The Samus' entire character arc in Other M is horrendously sexist. Massive, MASSIVE story spoilers below, so consider yourself warned:

Seriously.

Samus is a highly skilled bounty hunter, and at the time of Other M has been for many years. At this point she has been through the events of the first game, all three Primes, Hunters, and Metroids 2 and Super. She has saved the galaxy (or at least human civilization) many times over. She is no amateur, she has seen serious shit, she is the best there is at what she does as far as has been shown in the 10 games of the series.

So she runs into Adam on the Bottle Ship and feels totally guilty about how she questioned his orders 15 or so years earlier when he was forced to let his brother die rather than try to save him. She thought she could save him and never forgave Adam for not letting her try. So now on the Bottle Ship she decides not to use any of her abilities until Adam authorizes them one-by-one, in order to show him that she has matured and can abide by his orders no matter what. The entire game depicts her as horribly insecure about her abilities, her perception of given situations, and what Adam and the other GalFed soldiers think of her.

Near the end of the game, Adam has to sacrifice himself while he sends Samus to defeat Ridley. He tells her that only she can defeat him, and it's his job to self-destruct the part of the ship containing new freeze-proof metroids, because anyone could do that. But only Samus is badass enough to handle Ridley and the other crazy stuff on the ship. He confirms that she is capable and strong and should forgive herself for everything, and following this she finally begins to believe in herself again. After Adam's sacrifice, she's all business and ready to kick ass for the rest of the game. This is where the game finally starts to feel like it should, narratively.

Please take note that Samus' character arc can be summarized as follows: Despite her great accomplishments, she does not believe herself to be a valuable and capable person and warrior until a male authority figure tells her that's what she is. If this is not a sexist message, I don't know what is.

So your complaint is someone leaves a huge impression, one that has stayed with Samus for years and when she comes into contact with that she acts accordingly?

I find this arguement to be fucking crazy. We have seen the story arc for several people in books/movies all the time, in no way is it only for females.

The arc may not be good, but trying to act like this is some kind of attack against women is lunacy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TruePrime said:
So your complaint is someone leaves a huge impression, one that has stayed with Samus for years and when she comes into contact with that she acts accordingly?

I find this arguement to be fucking crazy. We have seen the story arc for several people in books/movies all the time, in no way is it only for females.

The arc may not be good, but trying to act like this is some kind of attack against women is lunacy.
It's not an attack. It's ignorance. Lazy writing. There's nothing resembling an actual character.

Defending something as bad but not that bad is a waste of your time.

Poyunch

MattKeil said:
This is absurd. The Samus' entire character arc in Other M is horrendously sexist. Massive, MASSIVE story spoilers below, so consider yourself warned:

Seriously.

spoilers
Well that's not really fair since most people can't argue against a bunch of spoilers. :lol But the way G4 handled it was horribly stupid. Samus did have daddy issues long before Other M (and it's not like this is exclusive to women). The manga presented this. It's not about being permissive to Adam and much more about respect for him (and possibly for her past commanding officer). The zero suit thing does really seem to conflict with what Sakamoto said and
outside of the opening
there really doesn't seem to be any time when Samus would be outside of her suit.

Beth Cyra

Rez said:
It's not an attack. It's ignorance. Lazy writing. There's nothing resembling an actual character.
This is not sexism which is what they are trying to call out.

I said they story could be poop on a disk but this call for sexism becaues of Self-doubt and negative feelings resurfacing because an important person from your past shows up is in no way a female only trait and it is hate that shouldn't be thrown at a shitty story just to have another excuse to say it is shitty.

Beth Cyra

etiolate said:
Dude, that is sexist. It's patriarchal and authoritative. It also makes no sense as a reaction to the invented past.

No it's not, it is submissive sure but the fac that it happens to one woman doesn't show sexism in the least.

Certainly not when the other 1 character that seems to exist doesn't in anyway come across that way.

He was her commanding officer, something happened to cause this. There is a big difference between this and being sexist.

aegies

TruePrime said:
This is not sexism which is what they are trying to call out.

I said they story could be poop on a disk but this call for sexism becaues of Self-doubt and negative feelings resurfacing because an important person from your past shows up is in no way a female only trait and it is hate that shouldn't be thrown at a shitty story just to have another excuse to say it is shitty.

Your insistence on putting your fingers in your ears and screaming it isn't sexist says more about you than anything Abbie's review said about her. If the only character in the game presented as insecure is a woman, a woman who has SAVED THE GODDAMNED UNIVERSE BY HERSELF MULTIPLE TIMES, who's presented as insecure in the company of a group of men, yeah, that's sexist. It might not mean to be. But it comes off that way.

hatchx

Banned
Okay guys, got the game about two hours ago and have been playing it ever since.

I found a shop that broke the street date.
I hope I don't get banned for mentioning that here.

I'm a huge Metroid fan so this has been a hard wait for me (since that first e3 2009 trailer). I'm also a big fan of the 3D Ninja Gaiden so my expectations were especially specific coming into this.

I must say, the game is freakin' fantastic! I heard the first few hours are the worst too, so I can only imagine what is to come!

It's a very different kind of game. It's very 2D-3D hybrid. I remember being a kid playing 2D sidescrollers and always wanted to 'break' into that next dimension. When N64 and PSX and 3D gameplay started happening, it jumped RIGHT IN to 3D (which was fine).

However, I never felt like I could explore a 2D game in 3D, but with Other M I finally can. It has the tight action of a 2D sidescroller with the right dose of 3D. It plays quite brilliantly, and I think this formula is something that should continue. It's just slick.

Now that I'm done my little 2D-3D speech, let me put a few of you at ease:

1. The storyline is fine. It isn't a Hollywood movie
(like GTA4 was :p)
, but for a video game it's perfectly acceptable (so far). Having read some of the Metroid manga, I'm not as bent on Samus talking. Her dull voice is appropriate and the scenes make sense in developing the characters and story. It's a bit cheese, but only as much as you'd expect in any game storyline. Even if you hate it, at least the cutscenes don't seem to drag on offensively long like they do in Metal Gear. In fact, the fluidity from cutscene to gameplay is quite brilliant.

2. The controls are fine. The D-Pad control scheme always worried me, but it really works in a classic old-scool way. The camera brilliantly keeps up the pace and the D-Pad sort of locks Samus in place making her motion feel natural. I truly don't think nunchuck control would work. Jumping to first person is easy too, but maybe that's just because I'm used to playing wii. Aiming and firing missiles is very, very easy. You immediately aim where Samus is facing, but because the D-Pad is digital, it's a one-click-aim and you look right where you want to....maybe I'm just that good! Also, the OTS parts are very cool (and not long) and I'm surprised they've gotten any complaints.

3. It's an awesome game so far and I'm really enjoying it. It's fast old-school gameplay mixed with team ninja awesome. The amount of content I've seen in a few hours is fantastic.

....with all of that said, this game will and cannot touch the Metroid Prime series. Why? Because the Metroid Prime trilogy is the best trilogy in the history of entertainment media. Even the storyline told through the lore is some of the most captivating science fiction I've ever read. It can't, and won't, be touched. Ever.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sick of debating whether or not a pile of cow feces that is the story has a piece of corn nestled among the grass and bodily fluids. It's just shit.

Poyunch

Fuck this shit. Anyway I support TruePrime's opinion on this. I'll be back when all of this sizzles out (if it does at all) or when the game's in my hands

Rez said:
I'm sick of debating whether or not a pile of cow feces that is the story has a piece of corn nestled among the grass and bodily fluids. It's just shit.
And to be clear. Shit isn't exclusive to one gender. It's just shit.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
TruePrime said:

It's an attack against Samus specifically, which is the problem. Many female characters could go through this arc and it wouldn't be out of place. Hell, Samus herself could have if the game were set before all the others and not in the prime of her career. But the shift from how she has been depicted in the past to this is completely ridiculous and unjustified.

The broader issue of her being female enters into it because this would simply not be an issue if she were a male character. No established iconic male character would
be reduced to tears when confronted with his repeatedly-vanquished nemesis for the fifth time.
The method of portrayal hinges on Samus being female, and appears designed to tear down any kind of Ellen Ripley-style "tough girl" aspect of her character.

wsippel

Banned
MattKeil said:

Seriously.

Everything you wrote is correct, but it has nothing to do with Samus' gender, so it obviously can't be sexist. Adam is the only thing even remotely comparable to a family Samus has, and she respects him, so it's not sexist and it doesn't make her appear weak if she listens to him in my opinion - and he seems to consider her his daughter, so it's understandable that he tries to protect her. You could tell the exact same story with a male Samus or a female Malkovich.

farnham

Banned
Samus is a bounty hunter but she is still in contract with the Federation. So she has to follow orders anyways right. Its not like shes some spetre

hatchx said:
Okay guys, got the game about two hours ago and have been playing it ever since.

I found a shop that broke the street date.
I hope I don't get banned for mentioning that here.

I'm a huge Metroid fan so this has been a hard wait for me (since that first e3 2009 trailer). I'm also a big fan of the 3D Ninja Gaiden so my expectations were especially specific coming into this.

I must say, the game is freakin' fantastic! I heard the first few hours are the worst too, so I can only imagine what is to come!

It's a very different kind of game. It's very 2D-3D hybrid. I remember being a kid playing 2D sidescrollers and always wanted to 'break' into that next dimension. When N64 and PSX and 3D gameplay started happening, it jumped RIGHT IN to 3D (which was fine).

However, I never felt like I could explore a 2D game in 3D, but with Other M I finally can. It has the tight action of a 2D sidescroller with the right dose of 3D. It plays quite brilliantly, and I think this formula is something that should continue. It's just slick.

Now that I'm done my little 2D-3D speech, let me put a few of you at ease:

1. The storyline is fine. It isn't a Hollywood movie
(like GTA4 was :p)
, but for a video game it's perfectly acceptable (so far). Having read some of the Metroid manga, I'm not as bent on Samus talking. Her dull voice is appropriate and the scenes make sense in developing the characters and story. It's a bit cheese, but only as much as you'd expect in any game storyline. Even if you hate it, at least the cutscenes don't seem to drag on offensively long like they do in Metal Gear. In fact, the fluidity from cutscene to gameplay is quite brilliant.

2. The controls are fine. The D-Pad control scheme always worried me, but it really works in a classic old-scool way. The camera brilliantly keeps up the pace and the D-Pad sort of locks Samus in place making her motion feel natural. I truly don't think nunchuck control would work. Jumping to first person is easy too, but maybe that's just because I'm used to playing wii. Aiming and firing missiles is very, very easy. You immediately aim where Samus is facing, but because the D-Pad is digital, it's a one-click-aim and you look right where you want to....maybe I'm just that good! Also, the OTS parts are very cool (and not long) and I'm surprised they've gotten any complaints.

3. It's an awesome game so far and I'm really enjoying it. It's fast old-school gameplay mixed with team ninja awesome. The amount of content I've seen in a few hours is fantastic.

....with all of that said, this game will and cannot touch the Metroid Prime series. Why? Because the Metroid Prime trilogy is the best trilogy in the history of entertainment media. Even the storyline told through the lore is some of the most captivating science fiction I've ever read. It can't, and won't, be touched. Ever.

Hey! you are not G4! Shut up! The game is not fantastic! Its sexiest!
thanks or the review

Top Bottom