• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Poyunch

Regulus Tera said:
I think I shall refrain from commenting any further in the matter until playing the game and seeing how they pull it out. It's just that I have no faith in Sakamoto in being tasteful and mature about this issue.

That's a reasonable opinion. :lol

Socreges

Banned
wsippel said:
In 2D Metroids, you knew the screen an expansion was hidden in.
No. This isn't true. You sometimes do, but not always. The design ensures that some upgrades are made more obvious, but the majority have no actual indication. The green sections have to be uncovered, square by square, for an upgrade to be indicated on the map. This normally means that there is no actual 'hint'.

wsippel said:
By the way, there are unmarked expansions as well, and expansion that are only revealed after solving optional - and not always obvious - puzzles.
OK this is actually something I haven't heard and is great news. Where'd you get this information? I've scoured this thread and certain reviews, trying to find info just like that.

Socreges

Banned
schennmu said:
I will never get over the term "space pirates". Is this actually an accurate translation from the japanese?
IIRC, in the actual story the "space pirates" are actually just like pirates... but in space. They hijack other spaceships and such. So it's perfectly appropriate. But when you interact with them in the Metroid games, they're just aliens trying to kill you.

scitek

RockmanWhore said:
They only exist in your perverted sexist mind.

Sometimes people just exist and don't care about all that stuff. Like 99% of the people on this forum until someone points out something and they pretend to give a damn for fear of looking politically incorrect.

desertdroog said:
I'm not sure...it is odd now that you mention it.

I mean it's kinda godlike but still... Space Pirates? :lol
8-bit origins I guess.

Socreges said:
IIRC, in the actual story the "space pirates" are actually just like pirates... but in space. They hijack other spaceships and such. So it's perfectly appropriate. But when you interact with them in the Metroid games, they're just aliens trying to kill you.

makes sense

Socreges

Banned
Jenga said:
silent female protagonist is given a personality

OH GOD SAMUS IS RUINED FOREVER!
Not forever. But it does sound like future Metroid projects should try and ignore the character traits expressed in Other M.

Jenga

Banned
Socreges said:
Not forever. But it does sound like future Metroid projects should try and ignore the character traits expressed in Other M.
from what I read of the spoiler

she acted like she did because she felt responsible for the shit with adam and his brother. she did this out of guilt, not because adam is a man. fuck, would people bitch if adam was sarah or something?

scitek

Other M's story could end up being like Ang Lee's Hulk for all we know. I can't fault them for wanting to explore Samus' past. It was worth a try, and something I wanted to happen for a long time. I just wish Retro had been allowed to do it instead.

AniHawk

Socreges said:

Well if future Metroid games are set after Other M, then she won't be expressing those traits.

scitek said:
Other M's story could end up being like Ang Lee's Hulk for all we know. I can't fault them for wanting to explore Samus' past. It was worth a try, and something I wanted to happen for a long time. I just wish Retro had been allowed to do it instead.

What amazing storytelling has Retro been capable of?

wsippel

Banned
Socreges said:
I don't think you understand what sexism is. It's not about sexuality. It's about sex. Not sexual intercourse, though, but in the 'there are males and there are females' respect.

And yes the story/dialogue sounds quite sexist.
I do, and yet I disagree. We should probably leave it at that.

Socreges said:
OK this is actually something I haven't heard and is great news. Where'd you get this information? I've scoured this thread and certain reviews, trying to find info just like that.
I had a chance to play the game for a few hours yesterday. A friend of mine used to own a store, and he still has some connections to wholesalers and publishers, so he usually gets stuff early.

Boney

Banned
I go out to dinner with my family and this is what I come back to!?

At least the stupidity toned down a bit with FFXIII...

kiryogi

Banned
Dunno what to say really. Reviews are dumb blah blah? I watched a good portion last night, and for me, I was sold. That's what counts for me. Is if I'd enjoy it. And from what I saw. Im fricken sold. Fusion-esque in 3d with high visceral team ninja action. I don't think they could have handled it any better.

Boney

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Even if you took a couple of straws of hay out of a bail of hay, you still have a gigantic stinking, shitty bail of hay.

Rez said:
corn isn't gender-specific. you're just as likely to find a kernal in Samus' poo as you are in Sonic's poo. it might be different maize, but it doesn't matter because they didn't earn any of it they just stole it from the local grocer's market and then tried to sell it to TruePrime after they'd already devoured it without making sure they'd cleaned it before hand.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've heard stores are breaking street date on this. Any truth to that?

Socreges

Banned
wsippel said:
I do, and yet I disagree. We should probably leave it at that.
Even if a relationship is bereft of sexuality, there can absolutely be sexism.

As long as you understand that, we probably wouldn't disagree.

wsippel said:
I had a chance to play the game for a few hours yesterday. A friend of mine used to own a store, and he still has some connections to wholesalers and publishers, so he usually gets stuff early.
OK good to know.

AniHawk said:
Well if future Metroid games are set after Other M, then she won't be expressing those traits.
Metroid tradition of development is to not have new games take place at the end of the timeline, but yeah.

There was also some streams of later story stuff since I don't really care, and there were actually a couple of subplots that were much more tolerable video gamey stuff, where people who AREN'T Samus have drama about trust and whatever. And on top of that, they were relevant to what was happening in the game, instead of "like 5 years ago I knew these dudes."

Like, if they had totally toned down the Samus/Adam thing or removed it while propping these up then it would be much better. Not great or anything, but better.

wsippel

Banned
yoopoo said:
From now on all Japanese game development should stop and be handed over to Retro Studios.
Nope. Reviewers are retarded (especially G4), Other M is great. I want the same team to do Metroid V, but contract Retro or Massive Black to do the environment design next time.

evilromero said:
No, I think the discussion is centered on whether it's a good Metroid game. And judging by the reviews it's about in line with Fusion (something anyone could easily predict even back in 2009).

Ah, so it is an awesome game?
Oh, then carry on.

Any news if the retail version will force you to upgrade your wii to 4.3 (is the latest 4.3 now?). I don't want it to be like Mario Galaxy 2 where I get it can't play it because I need to find a way to keep the gecko import thing working.

Boney

Banned
Socreges said:
Metroid tradition of development is to not have new games take place at the end of the timeline, but yeah.
This one is the first, not counting Zero Mision and the Prime spinoffs.

robor

Boney said:
Whenever I read that someone taking points off the game because it doesn't have "scanning", I know that I'm not supposed to take them seriously.

I'm tired of all the referencing, it's like half of these reviews are about recapping on past success on previous iterations.

Oh, and..
DeathbyVolcano said:
Truly the God Hand of Metroid.

Could very well be that way but the only way I can be 100% sure is when I actually play the game.

Socreges

Banned
Boney said:
This one is the first, not counting Zero Mision and the Prime spinoffs.
Fusion has been the first and only new Metroid game since 1994 to take place at the end of the timeline. That was my point.

scitek

AniHawk said:
What amazing storytelling has Retro been capable of?

Well, admittedly, the weakest aspect of Metroid Prime 3 was the story-telling, but I wish they had explored more of the Metroid universe with the first two games more akin to the third. I really enjoyed going to multiple planets and seeing more of Samus' involvement in things.

Amir0x

Banned
I loved how the story was told in Prime, through scanning. You get as much as you put in. I wish more games were like that.

yoopoo said:
From now on all Japanese game development should stop and be handed over to Retro Studios.
I don't want another first person adventure game, but Metroid belongs to Restro Studios, that's a fact.

Prime is prime, I just can't. BEST GAME EVER
35c2buu.jpg

wsippel

Banned
Socreges said:
Even if a relationship is bereft of sexuality, there can absolutely be sexism.

As long as you understand that, we probably wouldn't disagree.
Maybe, but honestly, even after playing the game for several hours, I still don't think it's sexist. And, well - I've played it and you haven't, no?

Really, to me, Samus in Other M is portrayed pretty much exactly as I would have imagined her, and that's exactly what makes me consider her the strongest female character in gaming. She's not just a sexy bitch with a gun. She's sexy, sure, and there's nothing wrong with that. But she's also kind of a tragic hero - the most powerful combatant in the universe, but still highly insecure and actually someone who doesn't like to fight. It's just that fighting is the only thing she knows, and she's good at it. She's not the badass alien killing bounty hunter many people imagined. And that's perfectly fine in my book. That perceived weakness, and her intention to please the only person she considers "family", don't make the game sexist - they make the character human. Even though she blew up a whole planet and exterminated at least two alien races. I actually like that discrepancy.

Top Bottom