• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

I hope Nintendo gives Metroid to someone who has nothing to do with Metroid or Metroid-like philosophies.

...I was originally going to say Climax but I just realized I would fucking love that.

heringer

I hope this game sells and Sakamoto gets to make another Metroid soon. This time for 3DS.

edit:

ShockingAlberto said:
I hope Nintendo gives Metroid to someone who has nothing to do with Metroid or Metroid-like philosophies.

...I was originally going to say Climax but I just realized I would fucking love that.

I swear I only read your post now. :lol

Teknoman

Boney said:
Just a suit.

Oh. Well either way i'm banking on V having some sort of Federation against Samus while she fights a new threat or X parasites returning again. Of course if the GF turned against Samus...I guess they would either send other bounty hunters after her, or bioweapons, since they really seem to be into creating horrible mutant creatures of destruction.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
If Retro approached Metroid more like they're approaching DKC I'd be happy to see them take on the franchise again. Corruption was a step in the wrong direction though. Despite my skepticism about Other M I am glad they're getting away from the first person stuff.
Actually that's what I was thinking as well. They wouldn't shy away from analog 3rd person controls though.

ShockingAlberto said:

So.... UFO?

_Alkaline_ said:
You know what's awesome?

Metroid. Metroid is awesome.

metroidjelly.jpg

RagnarokX

MechaX said:
When considering that the X-Parasite still existed on SR-388 as it is (albeit in extremely limited numbers), they're not quite done; rather, any surviving X-Parasites are quite marooned on SR-388 but it won't stop any one from screwing around with them if they wanted to. With that said, I still think that the Federation wouldn't be very happy about Samus crashing their multi-billion-dollar credit station aganist their orders and foiling the biggest landmark in biological and technological research with the station's destruction. Plus, the Space Pirates could always attempt to make a comeback.

... Although, normally I would say that Samus wouldn't be the type to just give up to the Federation without a fight if push come to shove, but apparently Other M shows that we really don't know shit about Samus does (the people who've played it nonwithstanding).
No, the collision of the station with SR388 blew up the entire planet. X are gone. Technically Samus is the last metroid after Fusion, but I don't see a game with her fighting against the Federation like she fought space pirates.

legend166

Honestly, as someone who thinks all video game stories suck (I'm baffled as to how people think RDR has a good story, for example), the level of suckiness doesn't bother me.

Boney

Banned
Teknoman said:
Oh. Well either way i'm banking on V having some sort of Federation against Samus while she fights a new threat or X parasites returning again. Of course if the GF turned against Samus...I guess they would either send other bounty hunters after her, or bioweapons, since they really seem to be into creating horrible mutant creatures of destruction.
not to get into fanfiction shit or anything, but it'd be pretty cool if the federation had to go after her through unofficial channels.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I loved how the story was told in Prime, through scanning. You get as much as you put in. I wish more games were like that.

See, I liked Corruption, but I think any time the game tells me I have to stop to read, or stop to watch is a weakness with the game designer.

Bioshock managed to do a good job in this regard, even if I didn't think the rest of the game was good.

RagnarokX said:
No, the collision of the station with SR388 blew up the entire planet. X are gone. Technically Samus is the last metroid after Fusion, but I don't see a game with her fighting against the Federation like she fought space pirates.

It'll be an RTS.
Made by Blizzard.
Samus will become the Metroid Queen.
The Federation will be after her for her DNA.
The Space Pirates will be after her for her head.

Corruption actually abandoned the cut-scenes after the Norion intro. The most critical exposition came from the Aurora units, which I thought was both creepy and cool.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Exploring a world and discovering it's intricacies through environmental storytelling is, as far a I'm concerned, inarguably best told through first person view. Metroid transitioning into 3D in that way is and was ingenious.

MechaX

RagnarokX said:
No, the collision of the station with SR388 blew up the entire planet.

I find that pretty strange, especially since no one even mentions anything about blowing up SR-388 in the process, it's not like the planet had a time-bomb like Zebes did, and I don't really get how a space-station can destroy a planet at all unless it was the size of the Death Star (which even then wouldn't destroy a planet outright). Sure, Metroid doesn't have to make perfect sense, but still.

scitek

MechaX said:
Morgan didn't write it (hell, neither Sessler nor Webb typically write their own reviews as opposed to random G4 Editors/Interns). In fact, Abbie, the person who actually wrote the review, goes on a 20-minute discussion defending her reasoning for the score. She does admit that "if the game's story was good but even if the gameplay didn't follow suit, it probably would have gotten a higher score." This definitely gets into more detail in why she didn't like the game (for reasons you can agree or disagree with) than the normal G4 did.

Holy shit she seems like an extremely annoying person judging from that video.

EDIT: She literally says, "And if I heard somebody say that they like that characterization (meaning Samus' portrayal in Other M), then I would probably not want to talk to them or be friends with them ever again."

Fuck off, it's a video game.

Boney

Banned
scitek said:
She's a poster here, she was discussing things earlier. Haven't seen the video, probably won't.

Red

Boney said:
not to get into fanfiction shit or anything, but it'd be pretty cool if the federation had to go after her through unofficial channels.
Federation troops as enemies instead of Space Pirates? After their appearances in the series so far, I could get behind that.

Kard8p3

MechaX said:
I find that pretty strange, especially since no one even mentions anything about blowing up SR-388 in the process, it's not like the planet had a time-bomb like Zebes did, and I don't really get how a space-station can destroy a planet at all unless it was the size of the Death Star (which even then wouldn't destroy a planet outright). Sure, Metroid doesn't have to make perfect sense, but still.

Pretty sure adam told her the only way to get rid of the X permanently was to crash the station into SR-388 and take the planet out along with the station.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Why doesn't anyone take games seriously?

SMH GUYS IT'S JUST A VIDEO GAM don't challenge me

Wallach

scitek said:

EDIT: She literally says, "And if I heard somebody say that they like that characterization (meaning Samus' portrayal in Other M), then I would probably not want to talk to them or be friends with them ever again."

:lol

scitek

Boney said:
She's a poster here, she was discussing things earlier. Haven't seen the video, probably won't.

Don't bother unless you really care to see where she's coming from. It's pretty obvious from the get-go, though.

What I took from the G4 review was that they didn't like it because it didn't play out how they thought it should have so they gave it a 2/5. There were so many things wrong with that review that I could explode just trying to explain it all. But in the end, I'm going to bite my tongue until I play the game, because who knows; despite their flawed review, they could be right about it's score...

But I doubt it very seriously based on others' reviews, and well, it's G4...

MechaX

Kard8p3 said:
Pretty sure adam told her the only way to get rid of the X permanently was to crash the station into SR-388 and take the planet out along with the station.

I'm watching the scene now, and Adam says that SR-388 would be "caught in the vaporization field during its self-destruction" if it self-destructed close enough. Technology in this universe is weird, even for Sci-Fi.

I'd actually really be willing to listen to that review if it hadn't been that the last time I heard of X-Play was them talking about terrible Mario Galaxy is.

Rez said:
Exploring a world and discovering it's intricacies through environmental storytelling is, as far a I'm concerned, inarguably best told through first person view. Metroid transitioning into 3D in that way is and was ingenious.

Moving to first-person was a fantastic move, but I still feel the series is best served from an outer perspective, whether that be 2D or 3D or a hybrid of both.

Retro may have tried, but they definitely failed at bringing Samus' agility and speed into the third dimension. The pacing of the Prime series is much slower than any other Metroid game. Thankfully Retro's design of the game helped minimise the negative impact of this - particularly in their environment design and puzzles which are among the best in the entire series - but there's no doubt that her lack of mobility is a significant flaw.

Hopefully future Metroid games adopt a similar view point to Other M, or at least try to maintain the speed and agility that she shows in this game. Some may try to convince you otherwise, but a huge part of Metroid is flowing, speedy movement that is honed by mastering both your environment and the items you collect along the way. It's a huge reason why Metroid games are almost always fantastic towards the end.

It may very well turn out to not have the genius design of the Prime series - few games do - but there's no doubt that Other M is taking the series in a right direction in terms of it speed and structure in 3D. in this sense, is easily much more representative of the 2D games than the Prime series.

AniHawk

ShockingAlberto said:
I'd actually really be willing to listen to that review if it hadn't been that the last time I heard of X-Play was them talking about terrible Mario Galaxy is.

That was Morgan Webb, this is someone else. Morgan Webb apparently is not a rational thinker.

The only thing I didn't like about the G4TV review were the teen movie things. It was a little annoying. Can't argue with anything else though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
I took Digimon Digital Adventures seriously once

it ruined me for life
Reminds me of that time I had a dream about Pokemon Stadium and woke up the next morning in tears for no reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Its amazing how much discussion revolves around the more negative views, with people either giving credit or dismissing them entirely.

I'm not trying to knock the G4 review or any negative review for that matter, but out of the 24 reviews listed 19 of them have been overwhelmingly positive. Are there issues and problems? Sure, but the game as a whole is clearly very, very good.

Just because a review happens to be extremely critical and negative doesn't suddenly make it more valid than all the others. Acting like G4's 2/5 is of greater importance than all the other high scoring reviews is a bias just as pathetic as mindlessly bashing criticism.

Boney

Banned
I really don't have that much an issue with G4's review. It's definately centered around this issue, and blown out of proportion (I think). It's a pretty wierd review, but it's ok. Don't mind it.

Game Informer's review, the combat part kinda pissed me off though.
Especially when people said I was trying too hard :mad:

heringer

EatChildren said:
Its amazing how much discussion revolves around the more negative views, with people either giving credit or dismissing them entirely.

I'm not trying to knock the G4 review or any negative review for that matter, but out of the 24 reviews listed 19 of them have been overwhelmingly positive. Are there issues and problems? Sure, but the game as a whole is clearly very, very good.

Just because a review happens to be extremely critical and negative doesn't suddenly make it more valid than all the others. Acting like G4's 2/5 is of greater importance than all the other high scoring reviews is a bias just as pathetic as mindlessly bashing criticism.
thisisgafdude.jpg

Red

EatChildren said:

I think most of us were assuming beforehand that the game would be divisive. Still, we all know low scores shake the hornets' nest.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's fair, Alk. My post wasn't even in direct relation to Metroid. It wasn't so much METROID SHOULD BE THIS so much as it was 'this aspect of game design is, in today's industry, best told in this way'.

Whether or not that's what you want from Metroid or whether it's all Metroid can be is totally up for debate.

Solune

scitek said:

The bolded cannot be expressed enough, it's a video game why do people read so much into these things. This is gonna turn into another RE5 like debate about being racist, only this time it's sexism. Game developers have enough on their hands with making a decent game worrying about presentation both graphically and story-wise. The last thing they need to deal with is being politically correct all the fucking time. It's no wonder half the shit from Japan doesn't make it over here when people are worrying over things like this.
Look if you DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BUY IT. I don't see what's so hard about this. Whether it's the next installment in a huge franchise or an indie game that's all you need to decide.

PusherT

Damn that review lady from the g4 talkaboutit was pissed. She was like "because a man told samus not to do it" She was real honost about her feeling on a subject like male-female relations.

Socreges

Banned
_Alkaline_, great post. I agree completely.

King Chozo said:
What I took from the G4 review was that they didn't like it because it didn't play out how they thought it should have so they gave it a 2/5. There were so many things wrong with that review that I could explode just trying to explain it all. But in the end, I'm going to bite my tongue until I play the game, because who knows; despite their flawed review, they could be right about it's score...

But I doubt it very seriously based on others' reviews, and well, it's G4...
Just give us a bit then. We wouldn't want you to explode. But the only major problem with the review that I noticed was that she focuses way too much on the shortcomings of the story and doesn't delve into the other stuff so much. It's obvious that the characterization of Samus really disrupted the entire game for her. So I doubt many of us are going to align with any 40% opinions.

Eat Children said:

There are probably more people saying the G4 review is worthless as opposed to anyone saying it's the one that should be focused on. But more than anything I think you're simply conflating 'discussion of review' with 'placing greater importance on review'. People are just discussing/dissecting its merits.

scitek

PusherT said:
Damn that review lady from the g4 talkaboutit was pissed. She was like "because a man told samus not to do it" She was real honost about her feeling on a subject like male-female relations.

Her review was totally emotionally driven, not rationally. I don't even know what to say about that other than "games journalism lol."

PusherT

Crunched said:
He will always be remembered.
That fucked up with the cinamatic direction this game was going he could have been like a "side hero" or something. It seems Samus is emotionally weak in this game, weaker then the male characters atleast Athony could save her.

PusherT said:

Ugly girl trying to get attention by stirring up shit about a new title from a popular video game franchise. Nothing surprising.

Red

Solune said:
The bolded cannot be expressed enough, it's a video game why do people read so much into these things. This is gonna turn into another RE5 like debate about being racist, only this time it's sexism. Game developers have enough on their hands with making a decent game worrying about presentation both graphically and story-wise. The last thing they need to deal with is being politically correct all the fucking time. It's no wonder half the shit from Japan doesn't make it over here when people are worrying over things like this.
Look if you DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BUY IT. I don't see what's so hard about this. Whether it's the next installment in a huge franchise or an indie game that's all you need to decide.
I don't necessarily agree with the "sexist" commentary about the game, but I don't think you're looking at things the right way. Any dissemination of a philosophy or outlook can and may propagate an idea, regardless of medium. You can argue that a person can make up their mind one way or the other, agreeing or disagreeing with the imposed message, even say something as simple and concise as
Solune said:
DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BUY IT
After all, ideas are meant to be expressed, right? Stories are meant to be told. But that doesn't also mean that a person who disagrees with or takes offense at a particular message shouldn't be able to argue against it or point out its flaws.

Top Bottom