• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Koodo

Banned
The last time I posted in this thread the atmosphere was of harmony and joy. Can't we all just hold hands and love each other?

P.S. why is everyone pretending G4tv has a worthwhile opinion on a topic that is clearly beyond their scope? The staff at that insipid place probably can't spell sociology without having their computer auto-correct it.

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
There's a black guy named Sazh who keeps a chicken in his afro and literally utters lines like "I'm gettin' too old for this," "Dayumn," and "Hell nah." He fights by shooting guns gangsta style.

Then there's the 7-foot tall 28-year-old stoner resistance leader who punches robots to death, fighting for his 13-year-old fiance.

This sounds terrifically awful.

EmCeeGramr said:
There's a black guy named Sazh who keeps a chicken in his afro and literally utters lines like "I'm gettin' too old for this," "Dayumn," and "Hell nah." He fights by shooting guns gangsta style.

Then there's the 7-foot tall 28-year-old stoner resistance leader who punches robots to death, fighting for his 13-year-old fiance.
Square-Enix

EmCeeGramr said:

did that really happen? All i remember are giant turtles.

...so....sooo many turtles i killed.

Teknoman

evilromero said:
No, I think the discussion is centered on whether it's a good Metroid game. And judging by the reviews it's about in line with Fusion (something anyone could easily predict even back in 2009).

Which is why im wondering how things went in a crazy spiral for the last few posts.

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
A defense of this game is after the first 20 hours of walking down totally straight hallways to reach the other side while battling, the world opens up a bit.

So it should appeal to fans of Kirby Air Ride.

AniHawk said:
So it should appeal to fans of Kirby Air Ride.
Also you have two party members at a time and you can only directly control the leader.

One of them is an annoyingly accented Australian 15-year-old girl who's actually like a million years old or something stupid like that.

Kard8p3

evilromero said:
No, I think the discussion is centered on whether it's a good Metroid game. And judging by the reviews it's about in line with Fusion (something anyone could easily predict even back in 2009).

Sakamoto himself said it would be closer to Fusion than any other title in the series. Being like Fusion is perfect for me though as it's my second favorite Metroid game.

Socreges

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Super Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 3 get a pass because...? Every metroid game that has had a map besides the first two Primes and MPH has done this. Prime 1 and 2 had sounds.
I can only speak for the 2D Metroid games, but the method of exploration/searching used in Other M sounds just different enough to really ruin the appeal of exploration that the series has always had.

People point to Fusion as an example of a linear game, but this was mostly NOT the case deeper into the game. It was necessary to find green parts (as opposed to blue) pretty regularly in order to progress and find most items. There was no indication that green areas were near. Sometimes they were just one square (one room) and sometimes they led to massive sections in the game. Fusion often did not lead you by the hand, particularly if you were looking for certain power-ups.

Other M's exploration sounds uniquely gimped.

heringer said:
Re: Other M giving away secrets with its map

So not even Super completely pleased Metroid fans?

Damn!
I've heard a lot of bullshit like this in these Other M threads. Do you guys even remember how the map worked in the 2D Metroids?

EmCeeGramr said:

All this and you don't mention his flaming pimpmobile that bounces?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Jayden Smith did a pretty good job as Jayden Smith as Sazh's son.

scitek

Why are the Prime games completely ignored in the...I'll call it the "Japanese" storyline? Does this take place in a completely alternate reality or something?

heringer

MattKeil said:
As I said, that's wrong. Her portrayal is very specifically as an insecure female. A male character would not have been depicted the way Samus is in Other M. This was very deliberately chosen. They could have had her be a tough-as-nails character who rediscovered how to connect with people from her past, but that's not what has happened here.
So the game is sexist because she's not portrayed as a tough character?

Really?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
scitek said:
Why are the Prime games completely ignored in the...I'll call it the "Japanese" storyline? Does this take place in a completely alternate reality or something?
Americans and their desire for an "Ellen Ripley" like Samus don't belong in a canon-Metroid universe!

scitek

Regulus Tera said:
It's sexist because it portrays a female character as submissive and wishful of a male authority figure.

...but what if she actually is like that? I mean, there ARE women in the world like that.

wsippel

Banned
Socreges said:
Other M's exploration sounds uniquely gimped.
Compared to the 2D Metroids, I'd say it isn't. It's nowhere near Prime in that regard, though. They really should have worked with Retro's level designers and environment artists - not that the Team Ninja guys did a bad job or anything, but those were the two areas Retro truly excelled at.

sfried

scitek said:
Are you kidding me? Japan loves Rundas! And I'm sure they like the Prime series as much as they do here.

I think it boils down to Sakimoto.

Teknoman

scitek said:

I dont think they are...then again, they are just stories to connect Metroid to Metroid II, just like Other M is just to connect Super and Fusion. They didnt really have that big of a story impact, much like Other M wont have much of an impact on Metroid V's story.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
scitek said:
...but what if she actually is like that? I mean, there ARE women in the world like that.

That doesn't make it right.

Teknoman said:
I dont think they are...then again, they are just stories to connect Metroid to Metroid II, just like Other M is just to connect Super and Fusion. They didnt really have that big of a story impact, much like Other M wont have much of an impact on Metroid V's story.

Wait until you have to fight mecha Anthony Higgins in Metroid 3Dread.

Poyunch

Regulus Tera said:
It's sexist because it portrays a female character as submissive and wishful of a male authority figure.
Well fuck me for getting back into this. :lol

This is the problem with that argument. At its base it does look sexist. Yes but it ignores everything else about Samus. The fact that Adam was a strong figure, respectable to her.

It would be like calling The Legend of Zelda racist since Link a Hylian is killing off Ganondorf a Gerudo. Ignore the fact that Ganondorf is doing horrible acts it doesn't matter.

Samus has a reason to listen to Adam. It has nothing to do with their genders and has everything to do with their history together.

Teknoman

Regulus Tera said:
That doesn't make it right.

Wait until you have to fight mecha Anthony Higgins in Metroid 3Dread.

:lol SA-X style entrance, "REMEMBER ME?" complete with glowing pupiless blue eyes after the visor raises.

Kard8p3

Under no circumstances should anyone here got to the other m video section at gamespot. I went to watch the video review and at the side they have some extremely spoilerific videos up.

wsippel

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I would agree if Samus and Adam had some sort of sexual relationship, but they have a father/ daughter thing going on. That's a completely different situation. Can't be sexist if the sexuality is out of the equation. And it is.

scitek

sfried said:
Are you kidding me? Japan loves Rundas! And I'm sure they like the Prime series as much as they do here.

I think it boils down to Sakimoto.

I'm not implying that the Japanese demand the story be ignored or anything, but the games that have taken place since Prime that aren't in the Prime series have basically acted like they never happened. Just a mention of the events that took place in one of them would be cool, since they were kind of vital to the formation of Samus' badass status in Metroid II, Super Metroid, Other M and Fusion.

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Let's put it this way: I didn't even like it. I know.

All you need to know about FFXIII.

It's just that bad

I'm still buying this game but it's a shame the route they went. fears realized and all that

heringer

Regulus Tera said:

Kinda like the GTA games are teaching our young males how to be criminals. Filthy games. All of them. That San Andreas game is also racist because the main character is a black man that happens to be a criminal.

wsippel

Banned
Socreges said:
In 2D Metroids, you knew the screen an expansion was hidden in. In Other M, you get more precise information, but you still don't know how to get there. The latter can end up being much more complicated in 3D space, and some of the rooms are rather large, so I'd consider that a fair tradeoff. By the way, there are unmarked expansions as well, and expansion that are only revealed after solving optional - and not always obvious - puzzles.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The story I'm hearing about Samus isn't surprising. Japan loves stories with weak protagonists and emotional hurdles. It aint nothin unless there's a complex or two and plenty of awkward moments.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PounchEnvy said:
Well fuck me for getting back into this. :lol

This is the problem with that argument. At it's base it does look sexist. Yes but it ignores everything else about Samus. The fact that Adam was a strong figure, respectable to her.

It would be like calling The Legend of Zelda racist since Link a Hylian is killing off Ganondorf a Gerudo. Ignore the fact that Ganondorf is doing horrible acts it doesn't matter.

Samus has a reason to listen to Adam. It has nothing to do with their genders and has everything to do with their history together.

I think I shall refrain from commenting any further in the matter until playing the game and seeing how they pull it out. It's just that I have no faith in Sakamoto in being tasteful and mature about this issue.

heringer said:
Kinda like the GTA games are teaching our young males how to be criminals. Filthy games. All of them. That San Andreas game is also racist because the main character is a black man that happens to be a criminal.

:lol I don't know how to react to this.

Socreges

Banned
wsippel said:
I would agree if Samus and Adam had some sort of sexual relationship, but they have a father/ daughter thing going on. That's a completely different situation. Can't be sexist if the sexuality is out of the equation. And it is.
I don't think you understand what sexism is. It's not about sexuality. It's about sex. Not sexual intercourse, though, but in the 'there are males and there are females' respect.

And yes the story/dialogue sounds quite sexist.

Top Bottom