• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

dear god holy fuck one of these tracks... ah, I'll spoil tag it just to be safe
is straight out of A Nightmare on Elm Street, it's stage 26 as labeled

my god this shit is so pimp.

MechaX

brandonh83 said:
if it's the same thing I'm listening to, I have serious doubts that it's actually stage music.

It doesn't really matter if the title's tentative or if it's the theme of an actual stage; the problem is the obvious fact that the theme never really gets started in the 3 minutes it spends in reference to.

Kard8p3

I do like the direction they went with the music and I think it'll be really effective during the game. I do hope they go back to more traditional metroid music for the next game though. Actually a mix of Other m and traditional Metroid music could work well.

What is it with Wii games that attract such varied reviews?

I mean, we have Destructoid and G4 giving it a similar rating to shovelware, yet we have IGN and 1UP saying it's a fantastic game. Umm... what?

I mean, metascore is going to see a couple 2/10s and bring the 8.5ish that the game probably deserves, and bring it into the 7s.

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:

Where are you listening to the music at? Where I'm at it only goes to 13.

balladofwindfishes said:

I mean, we have Destructoid and G4 giving it a similar rating to shovelware, yet we have IGN and 1UP saying it's a fantastic game. Umm... what?

I mean, metascore is going to see a couple 2/10s and bring the 8.5ish that the game probably deserves, and bring it into the 7s.

Because the majority of Wii games don't fit into the definition of a "classic hardcore" game.

balladofwindfishes said:

I wouldn't call a B- fantastic. But it's certainly serviceable.

This game has many odd design decisions that have split the critics into two factions. It's not a Wii game thing, it's just this game.

Teknoman

Kard8p3 said:
I do like the direction they went with the music and I think it'll be really effective during the game. I do hope they go back to more traditional metroid music for the next game though. Actually a mix of Other m and traditional Metroid music could work well.

Yeah sorta like what Prime series did. Pre-enemy appearance and certain corridor areas/elevators should be ambient, but there should still be area themes that are recognizable.

The best way for Other M to have done it would've probably been...atmospheric/ambient tracks inside the non-hologram bottle ship environments, and memorable stage tracks for areas disguised as natural environments.

Glad Samus appearance theme is still here.

DancingJesus said:

This game has many odd design decisions that have split the critics into two factions. It's not a Wii game thing, it's just this game.
Monster Hunter, No More Heroes 2 and Tat vs Capcom kind of fell into the same problem. There's a bunch of really low scores on top of a bunch of high scores, with very little in the middle, leading the averages to be a bit lower than what is actually average.

A C- is "serviceable," a B- is a good game.

I mean, how can a game get a 2/10 in one place, but an 8.5/10 at another? That's a 6 and a half point difference... which is a massive outlier.

Teknoman

Really did an awesome job on the main theme. I miss the "beep beep boop beep...beep boop beep...beep beep" elevator music though.

balladofwindfishes said:
Monster Hunter, No More Heroes 2 and Tat vs Capcom kind of fell into the same problem. There's a bunch of really low scores on top of a bunch of high scores, with very little in the middle, leading the averages to be a bit lower than what is actually average.

I mean, how can a game get a 2/10 in one place, but an 8.5/10 at another? That's a 6 and a half point difference... which is a massive outlier.

Did it ever cross your mind that those game are niche? They only appeal to a certain type of video game player. How can you explain Super Mario Galaxy 2 getting near perfect universal acclaim. There is no massive conspiracy against Wii games, your logic is completely ridiculous.

As for Metroid, it's not just one publication giving a below average score out of spite. The same complaints about the game were voiced by many different reviewers.

MechaX

balladofwindfishes said:

In those games' cases, they mostly had a fair number of 9s, mostly 8s/8.5s, very few 7s, and one 6-ranged score for each. For those games, the consensus was exactly 8.5. Same thing for Sin and Punishment 2 in the sense that it also didn't have outliers at all. We'll see what happens to Other M, but so far, the consensus is looking like low-to-mid eights which isn't too bad (unless you're also of the 10-to-7 gaming press opinion).

MechaX

Remember, if the game got below a 9 average on MetaCritic/Gamerankings, the game "flopped", is not AAA, and is certainly not worth playing on your crummy system.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ShockingAlberto said:
I'm honestly not sure how I'm supposed to enjoy this game if it doesn't average out on at least Gamerankings or Metacritic to an 8.7.

The metacritic ranking is still green so you should be OK. If you spam 10/10 reviews in the user section you can probably get the average up to a number high enough to make the game worth playing.

upandaway said:
Wait you didn't change your nickname?

I saw someone with your avatar and I was sure you went crazy and changed it
Nope, someone else started using my avy and we destroyed the last two pages of the Notorious joke posters thread.

It went on for far too long and just wasn't funny.

Unicorn

balladofwindfishes said:

2/5 not 2/10

Tiktaalik

This strikes me as certainly one of those games where the review text is really important in judging whether this game is for you or not. If in the past you've been turned off games simply due to awful storytelling then you're going to have to weigh that aspect of these reviews much heavier than other people would.

Personally I've sold games unfinished due to awful storyline, voice acting, etc, even though I was satisfied with the gameplay systems (ie FFX) and so for me these reviews have placed Metroid Other M low on my list of games to buy. I'm certainly going to play in the future, but I'm not in any rush to do so.

kiryogi

Banned
Snuggler said:
I'm interested in this but my POS work PC can't run videos worth a damn.
A sum up would be nice if possible, I'm sure they have a lot of hate mail and death threats to respond to.

More contrived reasoning to defend her review along with Matt supporting her.

MYE

DancingJesus said:

Lets not pretend that the Wii gets the same treatment the HD systems do from journalists.

The system is not a media darling and mocking the idea that this lack of interest exists everytime someone points it out doesnt make it any less true.

*waits for the usual suspects to pop-up and laugh at the idea of "bias" from the press*

Boney

Banned
I'm watching it right now.. it feels like stuff blown out of proportion to me. Haven't finished it yet. But basically it's just gripes with Samus characterization, fumbling for 1st Person and personal admiration she had for Samus.

They're talking about how she pees...

:mad:

MYE said:
Lets not pretend that the Wii gets the same treatment the HD systems do from journalists.

The system is not a media darling and mocking the idea that this lack of interest exists everytime someone points it out doesnt make it any less true.

*waits for the usual suspects to pop-up and laugh at the idea of "bias" from the press*

I love butthurt Nintendo fanboys.

The Wii is teh biased!

C'mon did you even think before you posted? Just enjoy the game for what it is.

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:

Now that I'm listening to it I have to agree I really like this theme. I heard it on the little bit I watched of a live stream a few days ago and was hoping to hear it again soon.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Boney said:
Videogame music, is on most cases only good because it's stuck to a game.
So, you must be new to video games.

Gin

brandonh83 said:

can you link where u got this ? the youtube vids i have seen do not go that far

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Wow. I am amazed. This is what reviews have come to. I mean it is one thing to accept the general hyperbolic nature of the internet. Everything is "awful or the worst". But the ranting of Samus and sexism.

Yeah. I just hit that part. Closed it. Fuck this shit.

Boney

Banned
Dacvak said:
So, you must be new to video games.
Been Playing for over 20 years... My bro is a musician and I delve into a bit. I have very high standards when I consider something great.

As for the rest of the G4 video. When you reach the end, as others have mentioned, it feels so wierd.. it's basically a rant on how they ruined her character and she's gonna forget about it.

And then they mention how they would've want the game with no 1st person and missiles working like the old games, makes you feel like they're absolutely ignorant about game design, but then go on about how the bosses work on creating openings to deliver this single missile blast, so it's a bit mind boggling.

I guess that Ubi guy was right. We don't want motion controlled games.

EDIT: As for the music part. I love hearing it, have some on my ipod, love hearing them. Doesn't mean it's great stand alone music.

MYE

DancingJesus said:
I love butthurt Nintendo fanboys.

How predictable. Why do i even bother?

DancingJesus said:
The Wii is teh biased!

C'mon did you even think before you posted? Just enjoy the game for what it is.

WTF does SMG2's score have to do with the general lack of enthusiasm the press has towards 99% of the Wiis library? (shovelware excluded, of course)

Boney said:
Been Playing for over 20 years... My bro is a musician and I delve into a bit. I have very high standards when I consider something great.

As for the rest of the G4 video. When you reach the end, as others have mentioned, it feels so wierd.. it's basically a rant on how they ruined her character and she's gonna forget about it.

And then they mention how they would've want the game with no 1st person and missiles working like the old games, makes you feel like they're absolutely ignorant about game design, but then go on about how the bosses work on creating openings to deliver this single missile blast, so it's a bit mind boggling.

I guess that Ubi guy was right. We don't want motion controlled games.

EDIT: As for the music part. I love hearing it, have some on my ipod, love hearing them. Doesn't mean it's great stand alone music.

Please watch at the ten minute mark and explain to me how this is good game design:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-metroid-other-m/17-3129/

MYE said:
How predictable. Why do i even bother?

WTF does SMG2's score have to do with the general lack of enthusiasm the press has towards 99% of the Wiis library? (shovelware excluded, of course)

If you are claiming that the press makes exceptions for a beloved Nintendo franchise; I hate you break it to you but Metroid is one of them.

As for questioning my partialness to Nintendo games I refer you to this thread.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yeah. I just hit that part. Closed it. Fuck this shit.

Just absolutely shocked. I've come to the full conclusion that is why Nintendo can't ever. Ever. Ever. Do voice acting in The Legend of Zelda. Because it would be BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION. Held under a microscope exposing the most trivial things. Long pages of colorful text with weird harp sounds it is.

Metroid Other M story. It's just one of those things that would be overlooked for every other game, but in this case it is soo intensely analyzed. I've seen the cut scenes. The presentation. The voice acting. The script. It is visually stunning, story is interesting, and the script is sometimes weird. But nothing in the realm of bad or worst. It is leagues better than Resident Evil 1. Silent Hill 2. Baten Kaitos.

The G4 reviewer mentions. Oh and the dialogue is soo bad. For example, Samus begins a cutscene by saying "confession time". Ok. Wtf is the big deal about that. Should Samus speech pathology resemble Julia Roberts? Or a city girl? Or a country girl? I mean I don't even know what planet Samus is from let alone the communication pattern of a woman trained to be in isolation on intergalactic bounty hunts.

Honestly. The qualms should be about the control. Which is literally the biggest hurdle people will have to climb in deciding whether they like the game or not. And this review spends 1/10 of its time on the control. The rest is about sexism, and crap.

Boney

Banned
DancingJesus said:
Please watch at the ten minute mark and explain to me how this is good game design:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-metroid-other-m/17-3129/

If you are claiming that the press makes exceptions for a beloved Nintendo franchise, I hate you break it to you but Metroid is one of them.
What do you mean? He had to get a charge shot in to disable them or get behind them to blast them.

He didn't figured it out, and was trying it wrong.

I mean, it's a complicated system, it's not something we gamers are really used too. I can definately see how confusion can arise from it.

You know, I went ahead and finished the review just to see what they had to say about it. And I have to say...
the things they say about Samus as a character more or less intrigued me and it sounds very different than I'm used to seeing female protagonists treated in a game. They talk about how Samus is this badass in the other games, but here she's being told what to do and what she can/can't do, but that doesn't really detract from how good of a warrior she is. I just think it's a new detail for her character, and kind of unique, even daring. I sort of like it, I won't lie.
I'm sure the shitty friends/cutscenes won't be that great based on the footage I watched, but nothing they really said in that talkback turned me away from the game. It sounds like personal issues more than anything else.

Top Bottom