• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

farnham

Banned
mjc said:
This thread continues to be incredibly entertaining...for both the right and wrong reasons. Its fascinating how a game can be polarizing when nearly nobody has played it outside of the press, who have given it positive reviews.
imagine what this thread will turn into once we got our hands on :lol :lol

heringer

farnham said:
imagine what this thread will turn into once we got our hands on :lol :lol
It will probably get back on track when that happens, because whoever buy the game probably have a positive attitude about it, and those who are hating without playing will just quit the topic.

Some will play and still not like it, of course, just like with any other game.

scitek

Man, it's so stupid how Samus recharges her health and missiles in this game. It's so much more realistic when dead enemies turn into health orbs and save stations just beam missiles into you instead.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
heringer said:
It will probably get back on track when that happens, because whoever buy the game probably have a positive attitude about it, and those who are hating without playing will just quit the topic.

Some will play and still not like it, of course, just like with any other game.

I agree with this^

you are far to reasonable and balanced in your views,I know now why you cry , but it is something I cannot do.

robor said:
Fuckin' games, how do they work?

Magic all up in this b*tch

scitek said:
Man, it's so stupid how Samus recharges her health and missiles in this game. It's so much more realistic when dead enemies turn into health orbs and save stations just beam missiles into you instead.

I like it better when a unicorn zaps you with its horn and you magically get healed and missiles turn into flowers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
scitek said:
ha ha good one bro

upandaway said:
I think it's crazy that some of you say he has to play the game in order to form an opinion about it. The ability to know what you want based on videos is essential if you don't want to waste your money 50% of your game purchases.
And a lot of us have lived long enough and have enough experience to judge these kind of things. It's precisely why many of us could tell from the outset of the Other M unveil last year what the game's shortcomings might be.

Speevy

Banned
Team ICO should make the next Metroid game. REALLY get in on the sense of isolation, no suits, no guns, just a girl stuck in a cave with the occasional monster.

scitek

Samus' health should just regenerate after a few seconds of not getting shot IMO. Can't get much more realistic than mimicking Modern Warfare, which is based on REAL events.

Speevy said:
Team ICO should make the next Metroid game. REALLY get in on the sense of isolation, no suits, no guns, just a girl stuck in a cave with the occasional monster.

Ridley is now a giant eagle/bunny.

robor

Speevy said:

I am brutally offended.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EmCeeGramr said:
see now there's another thing FFXIII ruined: slow openings in games

once upon a time if you had a slow opening in a good game most people still recognized that it was entirely serviceable or even pretty good, just not as great as the rest of the game

now thanks to a generation emotionally scarred by FFXIII, nobody can hear those words without imagining 20 hours of shit
OMG. SHIT EVERYWHERE!

ASIS

Speevy said:
LOL Epic!!!!

Speevy said:
Actually, I would be more than happy with that.

Threi

notag
upandaway said:
I think it's crazy that some of you say he has to play the game in order to form an opinion about it. The ability to know what you want based on videos is essential if you don't want to waste your money 50% of your game purchases.
Exactly.

The game looks awesome based on what i've seen in videos, and based on what i've seen in videos some of these reviewers (and some gaffers) are insane.

Tuesday will only confirm this.

Pachinko

Generally positive reviews for this game that all say the same thing- it can be fun but the story is garbage.

The 3 bad reviews on the list in the OP though, yikes, the 6's back up their claims rather well but the 2/5 from G4 ? it reads like an angry feminist ranting that another character becomes a poorly written female in a videogame.

Really seems like your tolerance of half assed anime storytelling will decide how much you actually enjoy the whole thing.

wsippel

Banned
Pachinko said:
Generally positive reviews for this game that all say the same thing- it can be fun but the story is garbage.
The story actually isn't garbage outside of what's basically a single stupid plot device that has little to do with the actual story. And most reviews seem to agree - it's a bit cheesy at times, but at least serviceable. This particular plot device is just blown way out of proportion.

Gigglepoo

MechaX said:
Hell, I appreciate the fact that they tried despite how disastrous it turned out.

The quality of the story may have been blown way out of proportion at this point. Yes, it's drawn-out, has stilted dialogue, and wooden delivery. But there are good scenes as well, and the CGI stuff looks really good. I think it's the weakest part of the game, and some of the longer scenes drag on endlessly, but it's far from "disastrous." I'm not singling you out, I just don't want people to expect an awful, painful story.

Tricky I Shadow said:
What are you talking about its not related to Prime? It's a Metroid game...

And a poorer one in pretty much everyway by the sounds of things. Bleh.

This is a really strange statement. Just about every game is worse than Prime, including Echoes, Corruption, and (at least in my opinion) every other game in the Metroid franchise. Prime is phenomenal, so using that as a measuring stick is going to make almost every game in and out of this series seem worse.

Ok, now that we know that the game isn't entirely successful (and that some people really hate it), does anyone feel Nintendo deserves some credit for trying something new with one of their most important franchises?

Or would it have been better if we had gotten just another sequel?

Pachinko said:

The 3 bad reviews on the list in the OP though, yikes, the 6's back up their claims rather well but the 2/5 from G4 ? it reads like an angry feminist ranting that another character becomes a poorly written female in a videogame.

Really seems like your tolerance of half assed anime storytelling will decide how much you actually enjoy the whole thing.
To be fair Abbie has legitimately good reasons for her low score. She even supports her claims by saying we expect much more from this series and that, as a fan, she was not only disappointed by the portrayal of Samus but offended. I tend to sympathize with her as I've always held the Metroid series up high as a beacon of true video game storytelling (not the kind in Fusion or Other M, rather Metroid, II and Super).

BTW Other M is currently tracking higher than Pinball but much lower than Hunters on Rankings.

Teknoman

wackojackosnose said:
I really hated it when each Metroid game started out with Samus back at square one regarding her powerups. The new Batman game (Arkham City) supposedly has Batman start off with the items he gained in Arkham Asylum and building onto those items with new gadgets designed for the new game. I'd prefer it if Metroid started building from this template rather than the one they've been using for the last 20 odd years cos at least then we'd feel Samus progressing with each game (Corruption was a start in the right direction!).

I'd like to see those gravity altering shoes from Fusion's early footage return. Some rudimentary things like missiles, grapple beam, and bomb should be around from the start.

Red

Teknoman said:
I'd like to see those gravity altering shoes from Fusion's early footage return.
I'd love to see that power up appear in the future. That's something that could seriously change progression.

wsippel

Banned
evilromero said:
To be fair Abbie has legitimately good reasons for her low score. She even supports her claims by saying we expect much more from this series and that, as a fan, she was not only disappointed by the portrayal of Samus but offended. I tend to sympathize with her as I've always held the Metroid series up high as a beacon of true video game storytelling (not the kind in Fusion or Other M, rather Metroid, II and Super).
If you're really into the franchise, the portrayal of Samus will neither shock nor offend you. It's her own fault if she expected Samus to be Ellen Ripley, and that (wrong) expectation is used as an excuse to hate the whole game instead of being professional and reviewing it as what it actually is, or handing the review over to some other, unbiased editor.

If she was a fan of the gameplay, not the lore, that's perfectly fine. But even then, it's still a good Metroid game with typical Metroid gameplay. Instead, she goes on and on about how sexist the game is (even though it actually isn't - at least in my opinion), and how much everything about the game sucks because of that.

Boney

Banned
Rez said:
In many ways, this feels like Metroid 64 to me. As far as design mentality is concerned, anyway. Just replace the VA with lots of text.
Can you please elaborate..? It doesn't really make sense to me.

beelzebozo said:
i actually take the g4 review pretty seriously. the feminist stuff doesn't really concern me so much as the story's supposed dominance and intrusion over the game, and the awkward control choices.

i feel pretty deflated.
It's the most negative review along with GI. And GI didn't even played correctly. It's like playing the first MGS, guns blazing and saying the game is badly designed.

There are reviews on the both sides of the spectrum, but most are pretty positive.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Rarely post, but just saw the G4 review. Holy crap.

Sakamoto just killed her idol :( :lol

He took the game in a nice direction, just build on it, and cut the crap out. I'm sure Sakamoto, and Team Ninja can do it.

Unless the backlash is so bad, this is the last collab between them :\
This is pretty much Sakamoto's personal masterpiece.
The issue here, are cultural differences, and literal translations of the game.

I'm really curious to see Nate's voiceover that apparently is horrible and Nintendo thought it was pretty good. This bothers me.

Teknoman

Metroid Database review:
http://www.metroid-database.com/mom/review_Cap.php

Since the majority of people say the controls are just fine, and the viewpoint transitions are smooth...shouldnt be anything to worry about control wise.

As for Metroid 64, I guess that old Ultra 64 footage of a Metroid game that never came to be. For some reason, I cant find it anywhere on youtube, but it was part of the Zelda 64 demo reel.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Teknoman said:
As for Metroid 64, I guess that old Ultra 64 footage of a Metroid game that never came to be. For some reason, I cant find it anywhere on youtube, but it was part of the Zelda 64 demo reel.
I don't remember any kind of Metroid 64 footage.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just finished writing a retrospective look through the music of the Metroid franchise. We do a monthly 'Sound Test' article, and this month it was handed to me. I thoroughly enjoyed writing it.

Should go up in a few hours.

Teknoman said:
Metroid Database review:
http://www.metroid-database.com/mom/review_Cap.php

Since the majority of people say the controls are just fine, and the viewpoint transitions are smooth...shouldnt be anything to worry about control wise.

I was pretty up on anything Metroid through the N64 and all I remember are a couple off comments from Miyamoto that one was in the early development stage. As far as I know they never publicly showed any teaser or test footage.

Boney

Banned
So just watched the Story/Action trailer in english.

Why do publishers insist on using poor anime dubs? Just hearing Samus yell Anthony in both languages makes for a world of difference.

What I'd give for having these game play in Japanese with subtitles. Or at least, better dubbers.
I'm always surprised about the quality difference between english dubbers and spanish dubbers.
English feels so forced and over delivered.

I still don't feel it's such a huge deal as some make it out to be, but maybe that's because English isn't my first language.

mantidor

I just understand more and more Miyamoto and how he so adamantly refuses any story in his games. I can only hope Sakamoto to learn his lesson from the reception to his story and his portrayal of Samus. These people are just completely retarded and untalented regarding story.

I would've certainly preferred all that budget gone into the cutscenes (which seems like a lot) to go into the game design instead.

mantidor said:
I just understand more and more Miyamoto and how he so adamantly refuses any story in his games. I can only hope Sakamoto to learn his lesson from the reception to his story and his portrayal of Samus. These people are just completely retarded and untalented regarding story.

I would've certainly preferred all that budget gone into the cutscenes (which seems like a lot) to go into the game design instead.

Not really how it works...

Kard8p3

DeathbyVolcano said:
From what I've been seeing this game really does look and feel like Fusion, and to be honest that's a-okay with me.

Same with me. Fusion is one of my favorites so I have no problem with more fusion like games.

Busaiku

Boney said:

Why do publishers insist on using poor anime dubs? Just hearing Samus yell Anthony in both languages makes for a world of difference.

What I'd give for having these game play in Japanese with subtitles. Or at least, better dubbers.
I'm always surprised about the quality difference between english dubbers and spanish dubbers.

I still don't feel it's such a huge deal as some make it out to be, but maybe that's because English isn't my first language.
Wasn't this recorded in English first?

mantidor said:
well I know... the point is, the focus on story was a waste.

I don't see how.
The game apparently is still very much a Metroid game and retains the Metroid story.
I mean, it's a video game, it's not going to have the most epic and well thought out story.
It's basically just a means of conveying the creator's ideas.

Kard8p3

mantidor said:

I don't know about that. Despite how bad the dialogue and voice acting some have still said the story itself isn't all that bad.

jjasper

Kard8p3 said:
I don't know about that. Despite how bad the dialogue and voice acting some have still said the story itself isn't all that bad.

Yeah I don't care how good/bad the story is I just wish they had done a better job with the voice acting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not so much interested in the story as I am the supposed ties to other Metroid games. Outside of Fusion I dont really know what they can do, other than random flashback filmclips. Metroid, Metroid II, and Super, as well as the Prime trilogy, were all pretty cut and dry.

Boney

Banned
Busaiku said:
Wasn't this recorded in English first?
It did? Didn't know that. It's still taken from Sakamoto's script. And please don't confuse what I'm saying as like it should remain in glorious japanese and keikaku and stuff like that. I'm not like that, it's more of japanese voice actors are really good (except for those wierd girl voices sometimes), and the english ones aren't that good. I'd just want it for them to step it up and not pull the product down.

MechaX

AceBandage said:
I mean, it's a video game, it's not going to have the most epic and well thought out story.

I'm under the opinion that just because most video games have terrible stories, it doesn't mean that they should.

But I don't know. I'm not expecting Other M to be the Star Ocean 4 of 2010 in terms of story, all indications lead me to believe that it's pretty amateurish when it really should not have been.

Boney said:

There are pretty good dubbing studios out currently that put together some really well-voiced work (for a game of this year, look at Nier's voice acting). Unfortunately, Nintendo never really uses such studios and usually uses random voice actors, for better or for worse (worse like in Radiant Dawn's case). I'd hardly call Other M's voice acting representative of anything these days.

mantidor said:

Except one of the few people in this thread who have played say it's a serviceable storyline with a few good twists...

Basically, you have G4TV's person in one corner, Game Informer in the middle, and everybody else who says its a good game. The storyline focus certainly hasn't come at the detriment of everything else despite what some would have you believe.

Boney

Banned
mugurumakensei said:
Except one of the few people in this thread who have played say it's a serviceable storyline with a few good twists...

Basically, you have G4TV's person in one corner, Game Informer in the middle, and everybody else who says its a good game. The storyline focus certainly hasn't come at the detriment of everything else despite what some would have you believe.
it's the worst review of the bunch.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Boney said:
It did? Didn't know that. It's still taken from Sakamoto's script. And please don't confuse what I'm saying as like it should remain in glorious japanese and keikaku and stuff like that. I'm not like that, it's more of japanese voice actors are really good (except for those wierd girl voices sometimes), and the english ones aren't that good. I'd just want it for them to step it up and not pull the product down.

What a strange thing to say. There are dozens of exceptional English voice actors who easily stack up to their Japanese counterparts. It's just that none of them were used in this game. I'm not sure it's even that easy to lay blame, though. Jessica Martin, the voice of Samus, is an extremely experienced stage actor with a couple of decades of work on her resume. She most certainly knows how to act with her voice, but none of that comes through in Other M. In my opinion the blame for the bad English voice acting can be laid at the voice director's feet, and possibly whoever was calling the shots above him.

Top Bottom