• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney said:
What do you mean? He had to get a charge shot in to disable them or get behind them to blast them.

I mean, it's a complicated system, it's not something we gamers are really used too.

Let's see, how about the fact that you can't move while they are shooting at you and it's extraordinarily clunky switching the Wii mote's orientation? You are a sitting duck while charging in first person which can lead to frustrating moments that are directly at fault because of the game controls. The video makes clear point of this potential problem.

Kard8p3

DancingJesus said:
Let's see, how about the fact that you can't move while they are shooting at you and it's extraordinarily clunky switching the Wii mote's orientation? You are a sitting duck while charging in first person which can lead to frustrating moments that are directly at fault because of the game controls.

You're not completely a sitting duck in first person. It seems most people don't know you can dodge in first person.

Boney

Banned
DancingJesus said:
Let's see, how about the fact that you can't move while they are shooting at you and it's extraordinarily clunky switching the Wii mote's orientation? You are a sitting duck while charging in first person which can lead to frustrating moments that are directly at fault because of the game controls.
But he wasn't supposed to be doing that. He killed the first one by just jumping and firing a charge shot. He then fired a charged shot straight into the second one and it absorbed the blow, but some electric stuff came from the machine and fumbled a bit.

I closed it after that, because I really don't want to spoil the game.

I don't see how this has anything to do with first person apart from him trying to use it in a situation it didn't call for it.

EDIT: It's like someone bitching about how rocket launchers aren't great for close encounters, or shotguns in distanced encounters.

Kard8p3 said:
You're not completely a sitting duck in first person. It seems most people don't know you can dodge in first person.

Regardless of the fact, it is a extremely contrived setup that would of benefited greatly from analog and nunchuk support.

DancingJesus said:
Let's see, how about the fact that you can't move while they are shooting at you and it's extraordinarily clunky switching the Wii mote's orientation? You are a sitting duck while charging in first person which can lead to frustrating moments that are directly at fault because of the game controls. The video makes clear point of this potential problem.
From what I've watched, you can go from FP to TP really fast and dodge immediately.

MechaX

Kard8p3 said:

The problem in that fight wasn't being able to dodge while in first person. It was the fact that the moment he went into first person at one point, a non-vulnerable enemy blocked the shot of the vulnerable charging enemy. The worst of that situation could have been averted if he could have moved slightly to the right, but he couldn't move, got hit, and had to start the 15-or-so-second process of waiting for an opening again. During that fight, the problem wasn't solely about the FP/TP mechanic not working, but more how the enemies probably were not balanced the best for that kind of situation.

kiryogi

Banned
Kard8p3 said:

If there's one thing they really should have emphasized. It was this. That seems to be one of the major echoing complaints out there.

MYE

DancingJesus said:
If you are claiming that the press makes exceptions for a beloved Nintendo franchise; I hate you break it to you but Metroid is one of them.

No, i'm claiming that SMG/SMG2's scores do not represent the press's enthusiasm surrounding Wii games in general.

DancingJesus said:
As for questioning my partialness to Nintendo games I refer you to this thread.

Dude, you're taking this personally. Nothing i said is about you :/

MechaX said:
The problem in that fight wasn't being able to dodge while in first person. It was the fact that the moment he went into first person at one point, a non-vulnerable enemy blocked the shot of the vulnerable charging enemy. The worst of that situation could have been averted if he could have moved slightly to the right, but he couldn't move, got hit, and had to start the 15-or-so-second process of waiting for an opening again.

Indeed, not to mention the fact that designing an enemy where you can only attack it at certain times is not only frustrating, but frankly stupid.

There was times where he would have to sit and stare at the enemy for a good 10 to 15 seconds just to start the attack pattern.

DancingJesus said:
Indeed, not to mention the fact that designing an enemy where you can only attack it at certain times is not only frustrating, but frankly stupid.

Errr... Welcome to Metroid?
I take it this is your first trip?

AceBandage said:
Errr... Welcome to Metroid?
I take it this is your first trip?

Not at all, I've played every Metroid other than Fusion.

It was implemented very poorly in this iteration. He is clearly standing there waiting for the AI to react and the encounter lasts about twice as long as it should of. Just watch at around 12:20 in the video.

MYE said:
No, i'm claiming that SMG/SMG2's scores do not represent the press's enthusiasm surrounding Wii games in general.

I guess Twilight Princess and Corruption were flukes too.

miksar

kiryogi said:
Why aren't they mentioning the good parts of the game? Like boss battles, environmental puzzles, interface, difficulty? Instead they concentrate on character development and Samus's story when the game is not actually that story-heavy as some will make you believe. Then they mock the missile and health refilling by saying it is not realistic. Sure, pick-ups dropping out of killed enemies is very realistic.

They never explain why it's bad. It can't be bad just because of the story - it's a videogame. Design choices are questionable, but they don't make Other M unplayable - it is very much enjoyable. There are tons of games not only on Wii but on any other console that are notably worse.

As for the Ridley part, there's nothing wrong with Samus reacting the way she does. She's just eliminated him in Super Metroid and encounters him yet again at the place where it's seemingly almost impossible - what's wrong in being shocked?

MechaX

I did find it funny how when Brad when into first person when only one of the robots was left, the robot just sat there in its invulnerable state (as if an enemy could somehow tell when Samus was in Missile Mode and that shit has gotten serious). Instead, he had to exit, run around the room some more, and wait for it to reach its vulnerable state.

miksar said:
As for the Ridley part, there's nothing wrong with Samus reacting the way she does. She's just eliminated him in Super Metroid and encounters him yet again at the place where it's seemingly almost impossible - what's wrong in being shocked?

That scene looks more like "shit-spewing fear" than "shocked".
Although, I find it hard to believe that
she would be shocked
after fighting this guy 5 separate times, one while falling down a 10,000 meter shaft and the other while in a vastly more powerful form than he was in Super and Other M.

Gravijah

miksar said:
Why aren't they mentioning the good parts of the game? Like boss battles, environmental puzzles, interface, difficulty? Instead they concentrate on character development and Samus's story when the game is not actually that story-heavy as some will make you believe. Then they mock the missile and health refilling by saying it is not realistic. Sure, pick-ups dropping out of killed enemies is very realistic.

They never explain why it's bad. It can't be bad just because of the story - it's a videogame. Design choices are questionable, but they don't make Other M unplayable - it is very much enjoyable. There are tons of games not only on Wii but on any other console that are notably worse.

hey dude wrong tags

Boney

Banned
MechaX said:
I did find it funny how when Brad when into first person when only one of the robots was left, the robot just sat there in its invulnerable state (as if an enemy could somehow tell when Samus was in Missile Mode and that shit has gotten serious). Instead, he had to exit, run around the room some more, and wait for it to reach its vulnerable state.
But from what I saw, there was no need to go into 1st person. None at all. So what's the fuss?

Boney said:
But from what I saw, there was no need to go into 1st person. None at all. So what's the fuss?

You are completely missing the point.

The point is that first person mode in this game is flawed and that comment in the G4 review had some validity to it. It's not just this one situation of the game that it could become a problem...

It really could of been completely remedied if the controls supported a similar setup to Prime.

MechaX

You didn't notice that his shots were bouncing off of the robots unless they were charging a shot (plus it took significantly longer to take them out via Charge Beam than missiles), that they were zooming too fast to get behind them (let alone plug them with a missile shot), and their speed made them hard to jump onto? Missiles would have cut down the time of that encounter significantly.

DancingJesus said:
Please watch at the ten minute mark and explain to me how this is good game design:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-metroid-other-m/17-3129/

There is absolutely zero wrong with this. You can only damage those enemies when they are charging their attack. He switches to first person to shoot them. He's playing the game wrong.

When they shoot their projectile, you are supposed to dodge it, and in doing so you get an instant plasma charge. Shoot the plasma charge at the enemy while he's vulnerable, damage him, and repeat until he's dead. This is basic action game design.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
iconoclast said:
There is absolutely zero wrong with this. You can only damage those enemies when they are charging their attack. He switches to first person to shoot them. He's playing the game wrong.

When they shoot their projectile, you are supposed to dodge it, and in doing so you get an instant plasma charge. Shoot the plasma charge at the enemy while he's vulnerable, damage him, and repeat until he's dead. This is basic action game design.
^^
This. Bad play doesn't mean bad design.

Boney

Banned
But it's a tool used for certain situations. The low sensitivity it has could be an issue. But basically this fight is charge your shot, wait until they drop their guard (turn around?) and fire. Reminds me of the Gold Space Pirate fights.

iconoclast said:

Thanks for being good on words unlike me.

MechaX

iconoclast said:

Many, many, many action games have more than one way to deal with an enemy. In this case, firing a missile and then dodging could have also sufficed and would have maximized damage dealt and minimized damage received. However, when enemies start blocking each other and start shooting through each other, well... Hell, this issue could have been entirely circumvented if they implemented some kind of dash independent of whether an enemy attacks you or not (as opposed to how the normal dodge in the game works). I see little reason in narrowing the options of the players that, by all means, should work but don't due to minor hiccups.

So you are legitimately trying to tell me that this game would not benefit from a control scheme where you could move in first person? Oh boy...

It's fine to like the game, but don't make excuses for poor design choices.

Gigglepoo

DancingJesus said:
Regardless of the fact, it is a extremely contrived setup that would of benefited greatly from analog and nunchuk support.

I disagree. I thought the controls felt incredibly smooth. They are as unique and intuitive as Prime's excellent controls.

miksar

That's what I agree on with G4. Why isn't it mentioned anywhere in the game, when all the other moves are clearly explained?

It was implemented very poorly in this iteration. He is clearly standing there waiting for the AI to react and the encounter lasts about twice as long as it should of.
It is what you do with almost every boss in any videogame, avoid his attacks first and then expose the weak point. And in Other M hitting weak points is especially satisfying because of 1st person view. The only part that might have used improving is 1st person lock-on that sometimes doesn't work on bosses when you need to shoot a charged shot fast.

This. Bad play doesn't mean bad design.
Speaking of bad game design
this game features moving elevator fight with enemies dropping out of nowhere. I hate these. And I'm not even mentioning the most ridiculous part with acquiring wave beam right before that.

I'd consider a poor design choice making a fast-paced action game playable from both perspectives. It would destroy it.

Gigglepoo said:
I disagree. I thought the controls felt incredibly smooth. They are as unique and intuitive as Prime's excellent controls.

Game Informer:

"Since control is limited to a single Wii remote, many of the game’s encounters boil down to running in a circle, charging up your gun, and shooting over and over until the enemy dies, praying that the game’s dodgy auto-targeting works. Aiming at the screen with the Wii remote takes you into first-person view, which is the only way you can shoot missiles. Unfortunately, this also takes away your ability to move. If the developer thought that frequent, jarring switches to first-person to shoot off a few desperate missiles before you get attacked is a fun gameplay mechanic, they were wrong."

Destructoid:

"Curiously, you’ll need to point the Wii Remote directly at the screen, which will (in theory) quickly put you into first-person mode. Once in this view, you’ll be able to look freely in all directions, moving an on-screen cursor to target enemies and other elements of the environment. Once locked-in, you’ll be able to unleash a missile or (later on) a grapple beam to swing across gaps and such. The first problem with this is that re-positioning the Wii Remote in this manner in the heat of battle is awkward, and leaves you completely open to enemy attacks. Even worse is having to orient “center” on the screen to find your reticle, the pain of which is only trumped by the times when the Wii Sensor and Wii Remote happen to not be playing nice with one another, and you experience a quick and odd camera shift. "

Giantbomb:

"To be honest, a new 2D Metroid (in the style of Shadow Complex) is all I've wanted since the Metroid Prime franchise wrapped up, and it's when Other M strays from that desirable ideal into 3D territory that its control limitations occasionally start to show. The auto-aim isn't perfect when enemies are coming at you from all sides; you'll sometimes find yourself shooting at enemies you don't want to be shooting at, or missing others entirely. And moving around in a 360-degree space with only eight-way control sometimes feels awkward and limiting, as in those areas where there's no invisible path for Samus to follow and you find yourself having to zigzag along clumsily to navigate the environment. The fixed camera perspective means that foreground walls will occasionally get in your face, and while the game is generally good about making these transparent, they can still block your view once in a while when the action heats up."

So again, I'm not alone in this sentiment.

Gigglepoo

DancingJesus said:
So you are legitimately trying to tell me that this game would not benefit from a control scheme where you could move in first person? Oh boy...

It wasn't designed for that kind of control scheme. One of my favorite moments in the game is when you need to shoot a boss with a super missile as he's walking toward you. It's a tense moment because you won't be able to get off a shot until he's inches away, but it's so damn satisfying when you do. If you could run around while charging up your super missile, that impact would have been lost and the boss fight wouldn't have been nearly as exciting.

Yes, if you had full movement all the time the game would have been easier, but certainly not better.

DancingJesus said:

Um, OK? I beat the game twice and I think the controls are brilliant. I'm sure you could dig up complaints about Prime's scheme also; doesn't mean they didn't work well. And it doesn't mean another control scheme would have been better.

farnham

Banned
DancingJesus said:

id agree that it would be better to have an analogue stick for 3D movement

but moving in first person is not the point of this game. the game was balanced and designed that way.

Boney

Banned
DancingJesus said:
Game Informer:

"Since control is limited to a single Wii remote, many of the game’s encounters boil down to running in a circle, charging up your gun, and shooting over and over until the enemy dies, praying that the game’s dodgy auto-targeting works. Aiming at the screen with the Wii remote takes you into first-person view, which is the only way you can shoot missiles. Unfortunately, this also takes away your ability to move. If the developer thought that frequent, jarring switches to first-person to shoot off a few desperate missiles before you get attacked is a fun gameplay mechanic, they were wrong."

I'm going to murder someone.

SYNTAX182

DancingJesus said:
Game Informer:

Destructoid:

"Curiously, you’ll need to point the Wii Remote directly at the screen, which will (in theory) quickly put you into first-person mode. Once in this view, you’ll be able to look freely in all directions, moving an on-screen cursor to target enemies and other elements of the environment. Once locked-in, you’ll be able to unleash a missile or (later on) a grapple beam to swing across gaps and such. The first problem with this is that re-positioning the Wii Remote in this manner in the heat of battle is awkward, and leaves you completely open to enemy attacks. Even worse is having to orient “center” on the screen to find your reticle, the pain of which is only trumped by the times when the Wii Sensor and Wii Remote happen to not be playing nice with one another, and you experience a quick and odd camera shift. "

Giantbomb:

"To be honest, a new 2D Metroid (in the style of Shadow Complex) is all I've wanted since the Metroid Prime franchise wrapped up, and it's when Other M strays from that desirable ideal into 3D territory that its control limitations occasionally start to show. The auto-aim isn't perfect when enemies are coming at you from all sides; you'll sometimes find yourself shooting at enemies you don't want to be shooting at, or missing others entirely. And moving around in a 360-degree space with only eight-way control sometimes feels awkward and limiting, as in those areas where there's no invisible path for Samus to follow and you find yourself having to zigzag along clumsily to navigate the environment. The fixed camera perspective means that foreground walls will occasionally get in your face, and while the game is generally good about making these transparent, they can still block your view once in a while when the action heats up."

It might be on purpose to present a challenge or else why not just put the whole damn game in 1st person mode and make it a cake walk. Naw.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DancingJesus said:

Sakamoto clearly said he wanted a control scheme closer to Famicom Metroid. You wanted Metroid Prime controls, he didn't.
I don't either but that's different matter
When I'll play the game myself I'll judge how well he executed it or not.

DancingJesus said:

Can you move while using the bow in first person in Ninja Gaiden? (no)

It's an action game. It's not Metroid Prime. The game is designed around third person combat. Sure, there will be the occasional enemy or boss where you'll need to switch to first person to hit them with a missile or something, just like how you'll need to use the bow sometimes in Ninja Gaiden. That doesn't mean it should be your primary method of attack.

heringer

I do agree the game would benefit from a nunchuk option, but I'm glad you can't move in first person.

How is it good game design giving the player a cheap way out of battles? "Ah, this battle is too hard, I'll just turn this game into a FPS and own everything". I mean, clearly the combat was made to be played in TP for the most part.

Also...

iconoclast said:

It's an action game. It's not Metroid Prime. The game is designed around third person combat. Sure, there will be the occasional enemy or boss where you'll need to switch to first person to hit them with a missile or something, just like how you'll need to use the bow sometimes in Ninja Gaiden. That doesn't mean it should be your primary method of attack.
This.

SYNTAX182 said:
It might be on purpose to present a challenge or else why not just put the whole damn game in 1st person mode and make it a cake walk. Naw.

There are better ways to make a game harder than by putting unnecessary limitations into a control scheme. It feels cheap and lazy.

And I didn't even mention the fact that you have to take the orientation of Samus's direction into account. You have to line up your character in the exact direction you want to be facing, otherwise you will be facing in a completely unintentional direction in first person away from enemies in a frantic battle.

farnham said:
okay so Resident Evil 4 and Ninja Gaiden are cheap and lazy games now ? i guess everything has to be an FPS right ?

Resident Evil is a horror game, Metroid is not - it's an action game. Resident Evil also benefits from the fact that you don't juggle switching perspectives from first to third.

As for Ninja Gaiden, I'm not exactly sure what control limitations you are referring to but it certainly can be cheap at times with offscreen projectiles getting thrown at you.

Kard8p3

Gigglepoo said:
It wasn't designed for that kind of control scheme. One of my favorite moments in the game is when you need to shoot a boss with a super missile as he's walking toward you. It's a tense moment because you won't be able to get off a shot until he's inches away, but it's so damn satisfying when you do. If you could run around while charging up your super missile, that impact would have been lost and the boss fight wouldn't have been nearly as exciting.

Yes, if you had full movement all the time the game would have been easier, but certainly not better.

Um, OK? I beat the game twice and I think the controls are brilliant. I'm sure you could dig up complaints about Prime's scheme also; doesn't mean they didn't work well. And it doesn't mean another control scheme would have been better.

Thank you for this. I'm glad to see someone who actually played the game commenting on the controls instead of someone just watching videos. Glad to hear the controls are great.

farnham

Banned
DancingJesus said:
There are better ways to make a game harder than by putting unnecessary limitations into a control scheme. It feels cheap and lazy.
okay so Resident Evil 4 and Ninja Gaiden are cheap and lazy games now ? i guess everything has to be an FPS right ?

heringer

DancingJesus said:
And I didn't even mention the fact that you have to take the orientation of Samus's direction into account. You have to line up your character in the exact direction you want to be facing, otherwise you will be facing in a completely unintentional direction in first person away from enemies in a frantic battle.
Now you're just trying too hard.

MechaX

iconoclast said:

That's fine mostly because Ninja Gaiden 1/Sigma/Black enemies where you really did need the bow were designed around that. And it's not as if the Bow was your ace in the hole in any situation in those games.

Whether it was good design for the enemies in Ninja Gaiden II... Well... that's a debate that I'm not going to start here.

But my point is that it really comes down to the enemies for which the combat was designed around. In the case of those two robots, I'd still argue that the balance was a bit shakey. If it works out well for other bosses and enemies, that's fine and dandy. I still think that FP could have at least benefited with some kind of non-dodge dash to at least give you a way to reposition yourself without going back into TP to get off a quick shot.

heringer

MechaX said:
That's fine mostly because Ninja Gaiden 1/Sigma/Black enemies where you really did need the bow were designed around that. And it's not as if the Bow was your ace in the hole in any situation in those games.

Whether it was good design for the enemies in Ninja Gaiden II... Well... that's a debate that I'm not going to start here.

But my point is that it really comes down to the enemies for which the combat was designed around. In the case of those two robots, I'd still argue that the balance was a bit shakey. If it works out well for other bosses and enemies, that's fine and dandy. I still think that FP could have at least benefited with some kind of non-dodge dash to at least give you a way to reposition yourself without going back into TP to get off a quick shot.
Then I think the most reasonable argument would be saying that particular enemy is cheap. I don't agree, but that's ok. This kind of thing is fairly common in action games.

Now, saying that you should be able to move in first person is precisely the cheap and lazy alternative.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Gigglepoo said:

I haven't played the game but I agree with your point that more freedom of movement isn't always by definition better. If the game was balanced around Samus' inability to move while in first person, then that's a valid design choice. If they got the balance wrong, then that's another issue. But there's nothing inherently inferior about trying to implement a high-risk/high-reward mechanic. The missiles (I'm assuming) are very powerful, but to use them, you must make yourself more vulnerable. Sounds like basic balance to me.

And as for that battle with the two robot things who are only vulnerable while attacking, that Quick Look was an example of playing it wrong, not trying all the options, and then pursuing the most difficult one. The battle looked easy once he started shooting charged shots at them.

It's also funny that he got the diffusion beam, and then a swarm of enemies emerges, and then it takes him a good while to realize he should use the beam he just got on the enemies that were just spawned to demonstrate its usefulness. Brad has obviously been playing games forever, but that was a failure of basic video game literacy.

Gigglepoo

DancingJesus said:

Um, every game has limitations. You can only jump a certain height in Mario games, there's a delay after rolls in Zelda games, taking turns at top speed without power sliding in Mario Kart is impossible. It's how every, single game is built. Developers create a game around these limitations, though. As long as everything is consistent and responsive, things should feel good. And they certainly do in Other M.

DancingJesus said:

Imagine how annoying Other M would be if it didn't function like this. Because you aim where Samus is looking, there are never any surprises. That's how it should be. I can't even imagine how else it would function.

ASIS

AceBandage said:
Because the majority of Wii games don't fit into the definition of a "classic hardcore" game.
Classic hardcore? Correct me if i'm mistaken but most of the classic games during SNES days were original, had variety, and extremely memorable. The games weren't made to be "perfect" They were designed to flesh out the designer's ideas in the best possible way.

The "hardcore" crowd today are the casual crowd of yesterday.

Maybe they should have gone the route of earlier Final Fantasy games and just had no voice acting in the cutscenes at all? Make them like silent films and focus on visual storytelling? It seems that would suit Metroid best anyway.

farnham

Banned
Nintendo-4Life said:
Classic hardcore? Correct me if i'm mistaken but most of the classic games during SNES days were original, had variety, and extremely memorable. The games weren't made to be "perfect" They were designed to flesh out the designer's ideas in the best possible way.

The "hardcore" crowd today are the casual crowd of yesterday.
next gen we will have the hardcore wii sports guys

CANT WAIT! :D :D

Metal Gear?! said:
Maybe they should have gone the route of earlier Final Fantasy games and just had no voice acting in the cutscenes at all? Make them like silent films and focus on visual storytelling? It seems that would suit Metroid best anyway.
i believe smash bros brawl got a lot of flack for that

Red

Gametrailers review of the game seems like the most comprehensive and articulate I've seen so far. Looks like a solid action game with a poor script and terrible, terrible monologue from its lead character. That's honestly my biggest problem with it. Why is Samus describing in full detail what is obviously happening on screen? We see it, Samus. We see it. Awful decision on the part of whoever wrote the script. Just really awful.

Besides that, I don't imagine myself having much of a problem with the game. Looks like it hits some great high points, and should be a nice addition to the series in the long run. I've seen some people complain about the story, but I don't mind it. Don't care about it being fleshed out. There's only so much eerie isolation and empty narrative a series can push before becoming stale. Metroid could have probably afforded a few more games before getting plot-heavy, but I don't see this change as a problem. The only big issue is in the way the story is actually told.

I just hope that in future titles Samus can keep her thoughts to herself.

Gigglepoo said:
Um, every game has limitations. You can only jump a certain height in Mario games, there's a delay after rolls in Zelda games, taking turns at top speed without power sliding in Mario Kart is impossible. It's how every, single game is built. Developers create a game around these limitations, though. As long as everything is consistent and responsive, things should feel good. And they certainly do in Other M.

Imagine how annoying Other M would be if it didn't function like this. Because you aim where Samus is looking, there are never any surprises. That's how it should be. I can't even imagine how else it would function.

Easily, if you could move in first person you could very easily fix the orientation you were facing and dodge any incoming attacks based on this inconvenience. It would not be a problem.

As for the limitations comment. I don't have a problem with games if the limitations are balanced correctly, but in this case they aren't because fumbling to kill an enemy before it shoots you on a constant basis in first person is not fun. It's very similar to the case in Lost Planet where the knocking down animation become troublesome in boss fights because by the time the animation finished and you could stand up again - the boss would instantly knock you down once more, repeating a vicious cycle of frustration.

There is no excuse for not having two control schemes packaged with this game. If you enjoy that - fine. But give the option for analog support as well. Multiple review sources noted this problem and expressed frustrations they faced because of these design issues. It's not like they don't exist.

heringer

DancingJesus said:
Easily, if you could move in first person you could very easily fix the orientation you were facing and doge any incoming attacks based on this inconvenience. It would not be a problem.

As for the limitations comment. I don't have a problem with games if the limitations are balanced correctly, but in this case they aren't because fumbling to kill an enemy before it shoots you on a constant basis in first person is not fun. It's very similar to the case in Lost Planet where the knocking down animation become troublesome in boss fights because by the time the animation finished and you could stand up again - the boss would instantly knock you down once more, repeating a vicious cycle of frustration.

There is no excuse for not having two control schemes packaged with this game. If you enjoy that - fine. But give the option for analog support as well.
Then, again, complain about that particular enemy, not the entire control scheme. You say it is cheap and lazy, but giving the ability to move while in first person is the lazy solution. This is not a FPS and giving the player the option to play it like one would be a terrible, terrible game design.

I do agree with the analog support though.

Penguin

Not to distract from this oh so fun control debate, I'm just quite perplexed by the complaints about how you recharge your health/missiles in this game.

In a medium, where people eat stuff off the floor or just hide behind a box for 3 seconds, why is holding up a controller to regain health... seen as a bad thing?

I'm sure enemy drops would have been appreciated, but its kind of the same idea, you risk some things to regain missiles/health in the heat of a battle.

Top Bottom