• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

i'd give 8/10 for it

its a good game

13:30 hours to do 100% item completion

10h to finish the game

in hard mode you take more damage and the enemies have more energy

when you finish you unlock theater mode to view all movies

pulga

Banned
etiolate said:
There are people who do this. I pay attention to it here because Metroid is my favorite game series and Super/Prime excellent case studies for game studies.

Actually, in that way of game narrative studies, the sexism discussion has everything to do with games as games. I get the feeling Sakamoto didn't fully understand what he was doing with Other M in regards to what had been done in Metroid's collective narrative, so he created a story with little regard for games as games and ending up making something problematic and conflicting with the iconic character in question.

I'm sure you understand Metroid and Samus better than Sakamoto.

Seriously, the sense of entitlement some people have on this forum is outstanding.

kiryogi

Banned
pulga said:
I'm sure you understand Metroid and Samus better than Sakamoto.

Seriously, the sense of entitlement some people have on this forum is outstanding.

I'd say it's pretty amazing how much crap erupted over some extremely unprofessional review. I'd like to say can we talk more about the game already, but it's still not out yet. So I imagine folks are entertaining themselves with this false definition of sexism or so.

pulga

Banned
kiryogi said:
I'd say it's pretty amazing how much crap erupted over some extremely unprofessional review. I'd like to say can we talk more about the game already, but it's still not out yet. So I imagine folks are entertaining themselves with this false definition of sexism or so.

I'm not even sure what the fuck is going on, seeing as I'm not highlighting anything spoilered. But from what I've gathered, Samus apparently cries and is "submissive" to Adam.

I've got to ask, so? Is Samus not a fucking person? Isn't she entitled to having emotions? Do people on this forum feel emasculated if the girl they're playing as cries? Some people here need to grow up. Samus is and always will be the badass we know and love, but it's about time we got to know her a lot better. Furthermore, we've known since Fusion that she takes orders from Adam, so why the hell are people getting up in arms about this NOW?

Some people here need to get out a bit more, yeesh.

kiryogi

Banned
pulga said:
I'm not even sure what the fuck is going on, seeing as I'm not highlighting anything spoilered. But from what I've gathered, Samus apparently cries and is "submissive" to Adam.

I've got to ask, so? Is Samus not a fucking person? Isn't she entitled to having emotions? Do people on this forum feel emasculated if the girl they're playing as cries? Some people here need to grow up. Samus is and always will be the badass we know and love, but it's about time we got to know her a lot better. Furthermore, we've known since Fusion that she takes orders from Adam, so why the hell are people getting up in arms about this NOW?

Some people here need to get out a bit more, yeesh.

Well did you see the G4 review? :lol

Rich!

8.7 from NGamer (formerly the superb N64 Magazine)/CVG. Good enough for me, and the review has put a few of my worries to rest.

Just watched G4 review and followup video.. arg don't watch that trash.

- complaining refilling ammo/life.. 'not realistic' as if pickups are (they even joke about all the missiles she carries or feasibility of morph ball)
- pro renegade.. who cares about rank/commanding officer you've got a big gun
- these people never heard of platonic relationship based on respect/trust
- 3rd/1st person mode, i'm guessing they're not finding the right time for an opening as I'm sure it isn't going to just be like an FPS.
- human characterization is bad because strong females characters can't be weak, they're stoic tanks

richisawesome said:
8.7 from NGamer (formerly the superb N64 Magazine)/CVG. Good enough for me, and the review has put a few of my worries to rest.
I'm stunned that a single format nintendo magazine would rate metroid so high.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Dabookerman said:
I'm stunned that a single format nintendo magazine would rate metroid so high.
The banned Nintendo blog (you know the one) gave it 7.2 and GamesTM gave it it 9/10.

farnham

Banned
anotheriori said:
Just watched G4 review and followup video.. arg don't watch that trash.

- complaining refilling ammo/life.. 'not realistic' as if pickups are (they even joke about all the missiles she carries or feasibility of morph ball)
yeah like Halo or Modern Warfare 2 was realistic

just wait outside of the fire for like 30 secs and you get your health back

what about Zelda. getting hearts and such. Where is the realism in that.

Socreges

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
Crunched put it pretty well. Metroid 2 was made really dated (not as much as the first game) with the release of Super Metroid. I'm not saying its impossible to go back to the game, but it would be nice to be able to revisit those events with updated gameplay. There's no reason we can't have both though. I mean the GBA saw Fusion and Zero Mission. There's no reason we cant get Metroid II remake and Metroid V on the 3DS. Specially since we only got the worst entry in the series, Metroid Prime Hunters, on the DS.
No reason why not. But since we haven't even had an announcement of one 3DS Metroid, I'm not going to hold my breath.

One original Metroid would be enough for me. I'd like everything to be on a 2D plane then, maybe with a Z axis as someone mentioned above. Traditional Metroid action with a little bit of context sensitive stuff (a la Other M) thrown in. And some story, but not much.

In a perfect world.

Oh, and I'd want the new sexist tendencies to be carried over as well. Maybe Samus could stub a toe part-way through and we'd get to use a male character for a certain period during the game.

farnham

Banned
Socreges said:
No reason why not. But since we haven't even had an announcement of one 3DS Metroid, I'm not going to hold my breath.

One original Metroid would be enough for me. I'd like everything to be on a 2D plane then, maybe with a Z axis as someone mentioned above. Traditional Metroid action with a little bit of context sensitive stuff (a la Other M) thrown in. And some story, but not much.

In a perfect world.

Oh, and I'd want the new sexist tendencies to be carried over as well. Maybe Samus could stub a toe part-way through and we'd get to use a male character for a certain period during the game.
that would cause G4 to call for a boycott due to the overflowing sexism

AniHawk

Socreges said:

I remember reading somewhere that Sakamoto or someone had said Project M wasn't formed to make just one game.

Shikimaru Ninja also said that they are making a 3DS Metroid at some point during E3. At least, I think it was him. Not sure why he said it either since it was very much stated as fact.

In a perfect world.

i think you mean sprain an ankle.

Socreges

Banned
AniHawk said:
I remember reading somewhere that Sakamoto or someone had said Project M wasn't formed to make just one game.

Shikimaru Ninja also said that they are making a 3DS Metroid at some point during E3. At least, I think it was him. Not sure why he said it either since it was very much stated as fact.
Yeah, it was Shikimaru Ninja. While he's an excellent source, I still don't consider that an announcement. We've also had a Metroid Dread rumours/announcements for years with the latest being it "may eventually be released". Even screenshots wouldn't be enough as the pre-Fusion project demonstrated. I basically need to have a 2D Metroid title in my hands before I'll believe that it will ever be released.

AniHawk said:
i think you mean sprain an ankle.
That is what I meant, thank you.

From what i've been reading it seems the way they go about telling the story leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of Samus monologues? Blech. I have no problem with making her a bit more vulnerable in an attempt to humanise her, but that's all moot if it's horribly executed.

Socreges

Banned
AniHawk said:
It is, but Grav's playing along and farn doesn't know where he is.
They're both doing jokes on top of jokes, solely in order to spite the G4 review, and don't contribute anything funny. That always carries a tinge of bitterness.

darkpaladinmfc, meanwhile, continued the joke's string and is therefore exempt from the bitterness tag!

And robor is just beating a dead horse. :lol

jarosh

not really reading the thread. just one question for the pal people in here:

do we know what language options non-uk territories are getting? couldn't find much info online. i'm wondering if the german release will have the english audio and if english subtitles will be available as well. i doubt there's a german dub (well, i hope not). but forced german subtitles would bother me as well. i'd order the game from the uk, but right now, with the shitty euro, it's actually cheaper ordering it from germany.

anyone?

Prime crotch said:
It was a surprising moment for Rambo because he's a male war hero, for a female character it's a whole another bag of issues.

It has less to do with gender and more to do with the fact that the Rambo scene is a pretty good scene whereas the cut scenes in this game look terrible. Its hard to argue this game is about humanizing Samus when you've got the Kubrick style low camera pointing up ass shots all over the place.

From what I've seen this games story just looks juvenile, par for the course I suppose.

Gravijah

Socreges said:
They're both doing jokes on top of jokes, solely in order to spite the G4 review, and don't contribute anything funny. That always carries a tinge of bitterness.

darkpaladinmfc, meanwhile, continued the joke's string and is therefore exempt from the bitterness tag!

And robor is just beating a dead horse. :lol

i am so bitter, especially after i... never read the review, don't really care about the review (though it is amusing), and have little to no emotional investment in this title. i suppose one could assume that i'm a nintenbro from my avatar (with it's cool little metroid dudes) but yeah, you'd be wrong.

jarosh said:

do we know what language options non-uk territories are getting? couldn't find much info online. i'm wondering if the german release will have the english audio and if english subtitles will be available as well. i doubt there's a german dub (well, i hope not). but forced german subtitles would bother me as well. i'd order the game from the uk, but right now, with the shitty euro, it's actually cheaper ordering it from germany.

anyone?

Seems to be PAL 3 or 5 countries, so you will have english, german and another language (or another 2 more) But only english dub with country subs.

hamchan said:
Um I'm pretty sure they are a race.

Well, you are wrong.

jarosh said:

anyone?
Only English Dub, and I'm sure there's the option to change the sub between english, spanish, german and italian. But don't take it as a fact

CoolS

jarosh said:

anyone?

There (thankfully) is only the Englisch dub availabe and no German one. As far as subtitles goes, I think I remember somone in this thread who already had his PAL copy looked it up and you can choose between English, German, Spanish, Italian and French.
But even if not, you just set your Wii language to English and like with all (or most) Nintendo games it will be in English.

Edit: beaten twice

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
To beat a dead horse, they really need to rework Metroid II. Give it a similar treatment to Zero mission. Its by far the least appreciated and understood Metroid title, and could do with a facelift.

Socreges

Banned
Gravijah said:
i am so bitter, especially after i... never read the review, don't really care about the review (though it is amusing), and have little to no emotional investment in this title. i suppose one could assume that i a nintenbro from my avatar (with it's cool little metroid dudes) but yeah, you'd be wrong.
No no. I had just noticed a few posts of yours in this thread about the sexism thing where you make some quick remark... but they weren't really funny so it just seems bitter. e.g.:

Gravijah said:
That's something a sexist would say.
Gravijah said:
If they made a Metroid baking game, the "das sexist!" comments would never stop. Ever.
Anyway I'm just explaining where my intuition came from, not trying to insist on my first impression. I guess I'm wrong.

Actually the baking one was sorta funny.

EatChildren said:
To beat a dead horse, they really need to rework Metroid II. Give it a similar treatment to Zero mission. Its by far the least appreciated and understood Metroid title, and could do with a facelift.
And I've never played it. Never been able to. I've considered using an emulator, but that would sort of ruin my virgin Metroid II experience.

Gravijah

I find great amusement in beating jokes into the ground. Most of those posts were also dipped in a blend of mocking and sarcasm, then frozen to form a crunchy mocktastic treat.

robor

Socreges said:
And I've never played it. Never been able to. I've considered using an emulator, but that would sort of ruin my virgin Metroid II experience.

It really is a great game and helped contribute many staple elements in the Metroid franchise. SM would be nothing without it.

Socreges said:
Yeah me too. Return of Samus is the most inaccessible Metroid title to get your hands on. Hopefully a remake is on it's way or maybe as an easter egg in a future Metroid title.

The ending theme of Metroid II is one of the best Metroid songs ever!

Chesskid1 said:
17 min talkabout about why they were so disappointed by Other M from G4TV.

http://g4tv.com/videos/48335/Talkabout-Metroid-Other-M/?quality=hd

apologize if this was posted, didn't see anything about it, just the main review video. they were spot on about the controls, 100% right.
Yeah, it was posted a while ago. It's amazing how in a total of 20 mins I still can't get a good read on whether or not the actual game is good.

Oxx

If the game is even half as entertaining as this thread has been, I might give it a go.

I do feel a certain responsibility to go back and finish Super and MP Trilogy first, though.

Gravijah

Oxx said:
If the game is even half as entertaining as this thread has been, I might give it a go.

I do feel a certain responsibility to go back and finish Super and MP Trilogy first, though.

I suppose now that I have a Wii I should try to play through MPT...

Nemesis_

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, it was posted a while ago. It's amazing how in a total of 20 mins I still can't get a good read on whether or not the actual game is good.

Game is good. Just not as good as Prime. >_> That's pretty much it.

Nemesis556 said:
Game is good. Just not as good as Prime. >_> That's pretty much it.
That's problematic for me because I didn't like Prime. Why isn't it as good as Prime? What are the failings specifically? What does it do well? These reviews seem to be talking about everything except what I want to hear.

Socreges

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Hopefully a remake is on it's way or maybe as an easter egg in a future Metroid title.
How about both? A remake that also has the original as an easter egg, a la Zero Mission. As badly as the game needs an upgrade (the graphics are obviously dated and Samus takes up almost half the screen), I'd really like to play the original. I would just hope that the remake doesn't get rid of the claustrophobic feel.

Metroid Killer said:
The ending theme of Metroid II is one of the best Metroid songs ever!
The only track that I'm familiar with is the one in the very first area when you start playing. It's awesome.

I've played all the major Metroid games. I never thought I'd do this, but I watched a finished playthrough for Other M on justin.tv last week and Youtubed some critical cutscenes afterwards to reflect on some events.

I have never done this with any game ever before. I was so on the fence on buying it, I watched the guy play and thought: screw it, let's just watch the whole thing since I wasn't convinced yet. The last time I had this with a Nintendo game was with Sunshine, but Youtube wasn't around back then :lol

The game seemed so unappealing to play and the story, although beatifully rendered, filled the gaps fine but felt a liitle too tacky sometimes (especially the thumbs :lol ).

I WILL buy the game nonetheless, to support the team for making the beautiful CG and for at least trying something new with the formula. Maybe I will enjoy it when I play it sometime next year in between the other releases. But for now, no.

Despera

Banned
Other M is a decent game. Super Metroid is still the best in the franchise followed by Prime imo.

Samus's voice is kinda annoying especially in cutscenes where she keeps on talking for no reason (Feels like they're forcing the player into a fake sense of immersion). The lost sense of isolation is kinda distracting too. Team Ninja excel in fast-paced combat mechanics and CG, but I don't think this is the right direction for the series. Been playin' it for a while now and the game gets better with time.

Hard mode should've been available from the start though.

wsippel

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
That's problematic for me because I didn't like Prime. Why isn't it as good as Prime? What are the failings specifically? What does it do well? These reviews seem to be talking about everything except what I want to hear.
It's completely different from Prime. Anyway, things Retro did better:

- Overall visual design, especially environments and creatures.
- Better boss design.
- Much more elaborate Morphball sequences.
- Superior textures and environmental effects.
- More memorable soundtrack.

Things Project M did better:

- Much faster, more elaborate combat.
- Better platforming.
- Slick and streamlined controls (I personally had no issues in that regard - YMMV).
- Way better character design.
- Better pacing.
- More elaborate and better told story with really smooth transistions between cutscenes and gameplay.

I'm not exactly sure about the quality of the story, though. I'd say it's at least serviceable. Thing is that there seem to be (intentional) plot holes the size of the moon, probably to serve as a foundation for Metroid V. Without an explanation, some things hardly make any sense, or seem outright stupid.

Top Bottom