• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wsippel said:
- More elaborate and better told story with really smooth transistions between cutscenes and gameplay.
me, I already know this in an untruth

Weenerz

Banned
Few hours in and I am not really digging how automatic everything feels. From the aiming to the running to the dodging. I just want more control out of the game. Just feels a bit too easy. Not saying the game is horrible or anything, I just expected more from a Nintendo game, even one made by a different company.

kiryogi

Banned
wsippel said:
- Much more elaborate Morphball sequences.

True they were really elaborate in Prime. But when you look back at all the 2d ones. They never really focused so much on morphball mazes. It's neat in 3d overall, but I can't imagine it was one of the big things Sakamoto liked to focus on.

jjasper

kiryogi said:
True they were really elaborate in Prime. But when you look back at all the 2d ones. They never really focused so much on morphball mazes. It's neat in 3d overall, but I can't imagine it was one of the big things Sakamoto liked to focus on.

They really weren't even that elaborate in Prime 1 a lot of them were push forward till there is a block, blow up block, move forward/jump up, and keep going. 2 was the only one where there were some interesting morphball segments.

kiryogi

Banned
jjasper said:
They really weren't even that elaborate in Prime 1 a lot of them were push forward till there is a block, blow up block, move forward/jump up, and keep going. 2 was the only one where there were some interesting morphball segments.

Well I meant Prime as a whole. They're neat and all. But I like shinespark/speed booster puzzles more. That was some fun stuff in Zero Mission.

hamchan

I think it's more the presentation of the cutscenes than the story itself. Seems like it's very cheesy team ninja style cutscenes.

kiryogi

Banned
hamchan said:
I think it's more the presentation of the cutscenes than the story itself. Seems like it's very cheesy team ninja style cutscenes.
Dunno about that. Think Sakamoto had more input on this, and from the stuff I've seen. There's more story and dialogue than both Gaiden games combined. :lol Oh story. XD Ninja Gaiden's was pretty brief and wtf. It's a lot more elaborate here in Other M.

jjasper

kiryogi said:
Well I meant Prime as a whole. They're neat and all. But I like shinespark/speed booster puzzles more. That was some fun stuff in Zero Mission.

Oh ok. Yeah I agree, though I am sure the reason there is an emphasis on the morphball stuff is because it was the only thing Retro could get to work right in 3rd person.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That's a good thing, I love the morph ball.

I hope wall jumping is easier than in Super Metroid, for some reason I just can't pull it off 3/4ths of the time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:

I hope wall jumping is easier than in Super Metroid, for some reason I just can't pull it off 3/4ths of the time.
the trick is to press the opposite direction for about half a second before you actually press the jump button.

kiryogi

Banned
Snuggler said:

It's practically automatic here. You hold the dpad in one direction and just jump. You do not want to change direction. Just hold and go at it. And yeah it was pretty mean on the timing in SM. ZM on the other hand, a breeze. But not as easy as Other M.

kiryogi said:
It's practically automatic here. You hold the dpad in one direction and just jump. You do not want to change direction. Just hold and go at it. And yeah it was pretty mean on the timing in SM. ZM on the other hand, a breeze. But not as easy as Other M.

It takes a bit of time to get the timing down on Super Metroid, sure, but I wouldn't call it that mean. Just challenging. :)

hamchan said:
Nah, don't think I am really.

Everywhere I've looked Space Pirates have been put as a species.

There are zebesians, and ridley is a space dragon.
They are not a race, and they are totally different, but they are from the same "army".

I think they talk about it in the manga (so its canon).

Gravijah said:
Dude he's not just a Space Pirate, he's ridley himgoddamnself. You best listen!
:lol :lol :lol

wsippel

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
There are zebesians, and ridley is a space dragon.
They are not a race, and they are totally different, but they are from the same "army".

I think they talk about it in the manga (so its canon).
It's also talked about and implied in Other M.

upandaway

Snuggler said:

My life can be split up into two major parts:

Part 1 (birth to august last year): I cannot do wall jumps in Super Metroid
Part 2 (august last year to current): I can do wall jumps in Super Metroid without ever failing.

It's totally something you need to 'get'. You just need to figure it out once, and you're good to go.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
For people that have played it, can I expect some classic metroid music in this? Please spoiler proof your answer. I really need to hear some brinstar remixes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
upandaway said:
My life can be split up into two major parts:

It's totally something you need to 'get'. You just need to figure it out once, and you're good to go.

That's encouraging. I'm playing Super for the first time now so I guess there is still hope.
If it only requires holding the dpad in any direction in Other M I shouldn't have any major problems.

Segata Sanshiro said:
That's problematic for me because I didn't like Prime. Why isn't it as good as Prime? What are the failings specifically? What does it do well? These reviews seem to be talking about everything except what I want to hear.
Dude I know.

I knew the story was going to be shit.

Because by default game stories are shit. The more hype they get, the worse they are.

If it wasn't for Half-Life and Portal, I could safely say it's a universal thing. They show it can be done... no one else seems to want to try.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Despera said:
The lost sense of isolation is kinda distracting too.
This worries me a lot :\ A lot of the talk of the game in the last few months has talked about how they retained the sense of isolation but all I'm hearing is the opposite from reviews. Oh well - will give it a try, but i'm not expecting much...

MechaX

Personally, I'm readjusting my expectations solely to the game being a Ninja Gaiden game in Metroid clothing and not the other way around despite how much Nintendo would want people to believe the latter, if that makes any sense. If I come in expecting an action game more than a Metroid game, I think I'll probably enjoy it more in the long run (especially with the exception of Bayonetta, the action games of this generation have typically been good, but not great or mind-blowing).

Portugeezer

I'm stuck, about 1 or 2 hours in.

In sector one, after you first encounter those rolling enemies (which morph into a ball). After that to the right there is a hallway, one part has a broken glass which you can morph ball in, there's also a missile upgrade around there. But the door which is green on the map, doesn't open.

I scan it and it says Super Missile... I don't have that yet. What to do? Thanks.

wsippel

Banned
EuropeOG said:
I'm stuck, about 1 or 2 hours in.

In sector one, after you first encounter those rolling enemies (which morph into a ball). After that to the right there is a hallway, one part has a broken glass which you can morph ball in, there's also a missile upgrade around there. But the door which is green on the map, doesn't open.

I scan it and it says Super Missile... I don't have that yet. What to do? Thanks.

There's a second morph ball passage above the window close to the door if I remember correctly.

Portugeezer

wsippel said:
There's a second morph ball passage above the window close to the door if I remember correctly.
I noticed it before, didn't realise Samus would grab on.

(I tried to bomb jump or whatever it's called)

Thanks.

Finally got around to reading Chris Kohler's excellent review. Gameplay getting high marks aside, I also like how the review points out that despite what one may think about the emphasis on plot/poor acting in some bits, it's interesting to see a major Nintendo dev boldly break away from the anti-story culture Miyamoto fosters at Nintendo.

^yeah, great or not it's one of the first serious attempts at Nintendo.

I liked the stuff they did with Twillight Princess, but it was baby steps compared to this. Perhaps it's just more obvious to experiment with the Metroid series.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
is this one of those games on sale early (today) at the nintendo world store? cause id love to mosey on over there and grab it...

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
^yeah, great or not it's one of the first serious attempts at Nintendo.

I liked the stuff they did with Twillight Princess, but it was baby steps compared to this. Perhaps it's just more obvious to experiment with the Metroid series.
I think it's just Sakamoto doing what he wants, not an experiment or anything.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
it's interesting to see a major Nintendo dev boldly break away from the anti-story culture Miyamoto fosters at Nintendo.

This isn't a exactly a new thing. Although it is being regarded as a significant discussion point in every review, "Nintendo does a story". Sakamoto has beeng doing story games forever. Metroid Fusion, Card Hero, Detective Club, Miho Nakayama High School, Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru. Metroid:Zero Mission, TeleroBoxer, and X are all scenario driven as well.

Obviously the problem is that most of those games happen to be obscure and Japan only. Well besides Metroid.

In the 80s. You make a Mario game. Easy to bring over. You make a Detective Club. Not so easy to bring over. And Nintendo has closely followed that policy for its succeeding history. A couple of few exceptions of course. (Fire Emblem)

Grampasso

Is anyone playing the game on the loader? Any known issues so far? Well, anyway I'll buy the PAL version but they usually have the same kind of issues, if they have any

Penguin

John Harker said:
is this one of those games on sale early (today) at the nintendo world store? cause id love to mosey on over there and grab it...

If you find out, let us know.

I remember they started selling Corruption early, but disappointed no weekend launch event, though seems may be having something on Tuesday.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
Why do you have a different avatar for each post? I don't like that. I think I might kill you.
As PounchEnvy put it. Rotating avatars are the bees knees.

Snuggler said:
yeah, that drives me crazy. He should just stick with the fluffy pokemon cat thing, I like that one the best.
the dog?

AniHawk said:
The guy who wrote the review for Game Informer posts here. He gave Jak and Daxter 2 a 7.75/10.
I'm gonna take this as a really really bad thing.

But seriously that review is horrble. He ran in circles firing charge shots. Of course he's not gonna like it.

Osuwari

Grampasso said:
Is anyone playing the game on the loader? Any known issues so far? Well, anyway I'll buy the PAL version but they usually have the same kind of issues, if they have any

no issues at all so far.

best thing once you beat it: all cutscenes are skippable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Thunder Monkey said:
Dude I know.

I knew the story was going to be shit.

Because by default game stories are shit. The more hype they get, the worse they are.

If it wasn't for Half-Life and Portal, I could safely say it's a universal thing. They show it can be done... no one else seems to want to try.

It's not that no one wants to try. Most of the big story-based games for the last two console generations have been the product of developers who dreamed of making an epic narrative.

But the fact that Valve is so good this gen, while everyone outside of say Rockstar San Diego (Red Dead Redemption is pretty f**king good IMO) comes from their PC gaming heritage.

Most of the great storytelling in electronic games came from PC games up until the 2000s hit (when even PC games began to degrade). That is where you found good writing, great stories, character and deep characterization. One of the reasons for this is that computer game developers weren't incestuous. They didn't just draw on the stereotypes from their own media, as do modern game development kids who think "awesome stories" come from a limited range of awaaaasuum comic books and action movies which is the sole culture they've chewed on. Good storytelling in games is readily achievable, but it has to draw on more sources than the shallowest of pop culture.

Japanese game stories are typically weird not just because they're Japanese, but because they do, fall back on a limited pool of anime and manga stereotypes that their creators are fanboys of. Only a relative handful of Japanese games have had really solid stories worth caring about, in the few cases when there is more in the head of the scenario writer than the shallowest of DBZ or Gundam Wing pap. (I'd actually place Chrono Trigger has having one of the best stories ever in a Japanese game, when considered through the simple 16-bit lens it was told with limited space for dialog and text.)

I've gone ahead and watched a few story sequences for Other M that don't spoil the deep twists and ending and I have to say, it is actually way above average for a Japanese game this gen. The scenes are more interesting and genuinely entertaining than most of FFXIII and for that matter, the overwrought melodrama of MGS4 :p

desertdroog

EatChildren said:
Wee! My Sound Test - Metroid is up on PALGN. Bit of a retrospective look at music from the whole franchise. Give it a squiz for a weekend read.

Thank you for this! The music of this IP is iconic. Your write up and comparisons showing the evolution of the music as it fits the tone of each game is quite welcome when most discussions tend to negate the music, outside of a yeah it rocks...but why does it rock?

What a treat!

desertdroog

When my woman gets back from her wourkout, I'm heading up to Gamestop to see if the promise of an early purchase is reality.

I also have to go to Fry's to buy a Component switch, since my tv has a hojillion HDMI inputs, but only one Component input. And that is bogarted by my cable box.

Instro

Agent Unknown said:
Finally got around to reading Chris Kohler's excellent review. Gameplay getting high marks aside, I also like how the review points out that despite what one may think about the emphasis on plot/poor acting in some bits, it's interesting to see a major Nintendo dev boldly break away from the anti-story culture Miyamoto fosters at Nintendo.

Yeah regardless of how bad or good it is, I do like that they've put the effort in. Hopefully the mixed reactions to the story elements doesnt make them shy away from this kind of thing in the future.

Sadist said:
When SpacePirate Ridley and me made this thread we didn't know it would turn out like this, yikes :lol

:(

Dont worry, once all people that are gonna get the game play it, this thread will turn differently. You can see it wth all people that are playing right now from the thread, the like it or think its an excellent game.

Amir0x

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Dont worry, once all people that are gonna get the game play it, this thread will turn differently. You can see it wth all people that are playing right now from the thread, the like it or think its an excellent game.

yeh this thread isn't right because it has negativity!

This thread got fucked up because it was all the pages debating back and forth about sexism.

Spruchy

SpacePirate Ridley said:

Um im four hours in and its OKAY at best. Decent game, terrible metroid game. Don't lump us into what you wish to believe.

Struct09

I'm a few hours in, and am actually really enjoying it. I played through the E3 demo which caused me to really worry about the game, but it turns out the game just opens a bit slow. The story is overly cheesy, and the tutorial feels out of place for a Metroid game.

As mentioned by many others, one major downside is the awkwardness of switching between 3rd and 1st person. While it's frustrating at times, there are actually moments where it adds to the intensity of what's happening. I don't see how the game benefits from this mechanic though, and honestly I wish they would have just went with a Wii Remote + Nunchuk control scheme.

Otherwise the game is a blast to play. The pacing is slightly different than games such as Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, and seems to be more similar to Fusion (though it's been a while since I've played Fusion). Using the d-pad to control Samus in 3D works surprisingly well, and jumping, dodging, and shooting is a lot of fun. And it still feels like a Metroid game.

I'm digging it.

Top Bottom