• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

wsippel

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Also, I think the fact that you think that everything would be fine if Adam were female weakens your argument and makes it come across as sexist. It seems the only reason you perceive a problem is because he's male and has nothing to do with the actual narrative the game presents. A male and female can't share mutual respect without the male being sexist? Him being an authority figure is apart from gender. Samus could disobey him, but she'd be going against the organization she works for and betraying his friendship. I mean, Samus even flat out states that she respects him because he ISN'T sexist. Hell,
all of those males couldn't even open a door without Samus.
And she does. Three times, if you count the missile use to open said door.

RagnarokX said:
To elaborate further on the specific scene you take issue with
In all previous encounters with Ridley, Samus was on a mission to fight space pirates and Ridley was an expected threat that she had time to prepare herself to face. That isn't the case here. She's responding to an urgent distress signal.

I've only seen the cutscene and have actually yet to play the game, but
I can't see how "respond to an urgent distress call" means react cowardly and be traumatized, even when she has other soldiers to back her up, by a familiar enemy she's defeated numerous, numerous times before? Even if it's a new incarnation of said recognizable foe?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Pop psych off the cuff suggestion: maybe the previous perception of Samus as a silent, aloof, gun-toting tough chick appealed to the male gamer's desire for a female counterpart to his bullet-slinging bromance ideal that avoids the gay because 1: it's a girl and 2: she doesn't display any of those emotion-thingies that make bro's uncomfortable, like der cryin'.

(Anyone can play!)

Instead of sexist this and that talk (which is bullshit) lets talk about how awesome it would be to get a remake of Metroid II using this engine on the 3DS.

RagnarokX

Gooster said:
I've only seen the cutscene and have actually yet to play the game, but
I can't see how "respond to an urgent distress call" means react cowardly and be traumatized, even when she has other soldiers to back her up, by a familiar enemy she's defeated numerous, numerous times before? Even if it's a new incarnation of said recognizable foe?
She goes to the bottle ship because of a distress signal. The threat is unknown. She has no reason to expect Ridley to be there. There is only one soldier with her in that scene, and up until that point she was being her usual badass self. Ridley triggered a post-traumatic episode and she froze up for a few seconds. That kind of reaction should be expected regardless of gender. She's not afraid of Ridley, she was caught by overwhelming emotion because he triggered a really bad memory. She doesn't waste any time fighting after she shakes it off.

Poyunch

Shin Johnpv said:
Instead of sexist this and that talk (which is bullshit) lets talk about how awesome it would be to get a remake of Metroid II using this engine on the 3DS.
I'd prefer a pure 2D gameplay. Go ahead and make it 2.5D but none of that 3D hoohah.
ShockingAlberto said:
It was like Black Like Me, but instead of being a powerful story of hypocrisy and understanding, it had giant spiders.
:lol

I dunno, giving Metroid such a silly and dramatic backstory just seems unnecessary to me. It's like making a Mario game that delves into why Mario became a plumber because his father beat him and forced him into child labor to support his baby brother. Just let me kill shit.

Freyjadour said:
I dunno, giving Metroid such a silly and dramatic backstory just seems unnecessary to me. It's like making a Mario game that delves into why Mario became a plumber because his father beat him and forced him into child labor to support his baby brother. Just let me kill shit.
I'm a big fan of Mike Birbiglia and he has this joke about how, when he goes out to clubs, girls always say "Dance, Mike! You should dance, you'll have fun!" So he starts to dance and they all go "Not like that!"

I think this is kind of the problem with Other M. Whether or not you're part of the contingent, it's hard to argue that there are people who have been begging Nintendo to make their games more cinematic and "adult," to have stories and voice acting, etc.

So Nintendo started dancing.

PounchEnvy said:
I'd prefer a pure 2D gameplay. Go ahead and make it 2.5D but none of that 3D hoohah.

Well on the 3DS you'd have to give up looking into FP view obviously. Plus since you'd be basing it on an already made game that didn't have you going in Z depth down hallways you wouldn't have to add that in. It could still be a 3D engine though, with the 3D effects of the 3DS. It would be a Metroid II, that had a map and Samus wouldn't be HUMONGOUS on the screen. I know I'd like it. Plus on the smaller screen you wouldn't notice the lower polycounts of the backgrounds as much.

I would love it if some one mind controlled some one high up at Nintendo and made it happen. I really really really want an updated Metroid II. Its one of those few games that actually deserves/needs a remake.

wsippel

Banned
hamchan said:
Anyone else find it weird that an entire species are called Space Pirates?

That's racism!

or speciesism!

...or something.
The Space Pirates are an organization, not a race. Most Space Pirates are Zebesians, but Ridley is not Zebesian and still a Space Pirate.

jman2050

wsippel said:
Even Rambo had a nervous breakdown and cried at the end of First Blood. Considering how well Samus holds up considering what she went through, she's obviously a lot more badass than Rambo.

Rambo's character starts out as a tortured and conflicted war veteran who questions his ideals and whose emotional instability allows him to get pushed over the edge when bad things happen to him, ultimately culminating with a breakdown and reconciliation of his experiences, both present and past. Now he's portrayed as a gun-toting merciless killing machine.

Samus seems to be going through the same thing in reverse :lol (obvious caveat: I don't know the particulars of Other M's story and am not implying any specifics with these musings).

jman2050 said:
Rambo's character starts out as a tortured and conflicted war veteran who questions his ideals and whose emotional instability allows him to get pushed over the edge when bad things happen to him, ultimately culminating with a breakdown and reconciliation of his experiences, both present and past. Now he's portrayed as a gun-toting merciless killing machine.
That always bothered me.

In the first or second movie, Rambo's friend tells him he doesn't have to be a killing machine, he can be human.

Then in the third movie, the exact same guy comes back and is all "YOU'RE A KILLING MACHINE AND WE NEED YOU TO DO MACHINE THINGS."

Kard8p3

Shin Johnpv said:
Well on the 3DS you'd have to give up looking into FP view obviously. Plus since you'd be basing it on an already made game that didn't have you going in Z depth down hallways you wouldn't have to add that in. It could still be a 3D engine though, with the 3D effects of the 3DS. It would be a Metroid II, that had a map and Samus wouldn't be HUMONGOUS on the screen. I know I'd like it. Plus on the smaller screen you wouldn't notice the lower polycounts of the backgrounds as much.

I would love it if some one mind controlled some one high up at Nintendo and made it happen. I really really really want an updated Metroid II. Its one of those few games that actually deserves/needs a remake.

I'd love a remake of Metroid 2 using this engine on the 3DS but even more than that I'd rather have a completely original game taking place after fusion.

Red

Kard8p3 said:
I'd love a remake of Metroid 2 using this engine on the 3DS but even more than that I'd rather have a completely original game taking place after fusion.
A remake of Metroid 2 would be great, for the same reason that Zero Mission was such a welcome addition to the series. Super Metroid was so far ahead of its time, it simply left the previous titles in the dust. If it were released today it would garner just as many accolades for its honed and polished body of design and form. Metroid 1 was especially dated by the designs of Super Metroid. Metroid 2 may have fared a bit better, but the limitations of the original Gameboy definitely held it back from becoming the game it had the potential to be. A remake with a less claustrophobic display and a minimap would go a great distance in remedying the limitations of its initial release. I mean, it's still a great game by most accounts, it's just less so when compared to the later entries in the series.

I apologize if I'm not making much sense. A bit drunk, but I don't think I'm too off base here.

ShockingAlberto said:
Then in the third movie, the exact same guy comes back and is all "YOU'RE A KILLING MACHINE AND WE NEED YOU TO DO MACHINE THINGS."

So what you're saying is that Samus is going to help out the Space Mujahideen.

Kard8p3 said:

Crunched put it pretty well. Metroid 2 was made really dated (not as much as the first game) with the release of Super Metroid. I'm not saying its impossible to go back to the game, but it would be nice to be able to revisit those events with updated gameplay. There's no reason we can't have both though. I mean the GBA saw Fusion and Zero Mission. There's no reason we cant get Metroid II remake and Metroid V on the 3DS. Specially since we only got the worst entry in the series, Metroid Prime Hunters, on the DS.

GamerSoul

Gravijah said:
I want Metroid Dread or Metroid Bread or whatever the hell, no remakes!

:lol I'm just loving all this metroid. We don't know when we'll get another one. The thing about Metroid's backstory was that it was basically already known if time was taking to actually read the manga. The story isnt new to me but it is a treat to actually see it in motion and from Samus herself.

Kard8p3

Shin Johnpv said:
Crunched put it pretty well. Metroid 2 was made really dated (not as much as the first game) with the release of Super Metroid. I'm not saying its impossible to go back to the game, but it would be nice to be able to revisit those events with updated gameplay. There's no reason we can't have both though. I mean the GBA saw Fusion and Zero Mission. There's no reason we cant get Metroid II remake and Metroid V on the 3DS. Specially since we only got the worst entry in the series, Metroid Prime Hunters, on the DS.

Yeah there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to have both on the 3DS I just think I'd prefer Metroid V first. Really though it doesn't matter because if Metroid 2 really was remade with the Other M engine then it would feel like a new game anyway.

Red

Shin Johnpv said:
Seriously. A new 2D entry would be fantastic. As exciting as the perspective of Other M is, I'd love a return to the series' classic style.

Metroid 2 is playable in its current state, but its a little unwieldy for newcomers. Main issue is the lack of a map. It's difficult to keep every tunnel and cave memorized. And of course, Samus is a bit oversized in comparison to SR388. With Other M pushing the plot of the series, a Metroid 2 remake seems fitting to get new fans up to speed on the entirety of Samus's adventures.

This is all just a pipe dream, of course, but it's an exciting possibility :lol

Wallach

Gravijah said:
I can't wait for the inevitable Metroid game that doesn't star Samus.

I can already see the tagline:

Never send a woman to do a man's job.

Probably after they give the Metroid franchise to some other studio that probably shouldn't have anything to do with it, like Epic.

GamerSoul said:
:lol I'm just loving all this metroid. We don't know when we'll get another one. The thing about Metroid's backstory was that it was basically already known if time was taking to actually read the manga. The story isnt new to me but it is a treat to actually see it in motion and from Samus herself.

This is true, a lot of Samus' past was already known, it seems Other M just fills in some extra details.

Crunched said:
Seriously. A new 2D entry would be fantastic. As exciting as the perspective of Other M is, I'd love a return to the series' classic style.

Metroid 2 is playable in its current state, but its a little unwieldy for newcomers. Main issue is the lack of a map. It's difficult to keep every tunnel and cave memorized. And of course, Samus is a bit oversized in comparison to SR388. With Other M pushing the plot of the series, a Metroid 2 remake seems fitting to get new fans up to speed on the entirety of Samus's adventures.

This is all just a pipe dream, of course, but it's an exciting possibility :lol

Yeah that's the main thing that usually ends my Metroid II re-play through times. Specially now since I lost what ever issue of Nintendo Power it was that had the map in it. Even with a physical map it can be hard some times.

Imagine if they got the same team to do the cut scenes for it. Would love to see the Metroid hatching shot to that level. Some one with psychic powers needs to plant that idea in Sakamoto's brain right now.

Rich!

Wallach said:
Probably after they give the Metroid franchise to some other studio that probably shouldn't have anything to do with it, like Epic.

They could just pump up Samus with steroids and get John DiMaggio to voice her. Problem solved.

Red

Shin Johnpv said:
Yeah that's the main thing that usually ends my Metroid II re-play through times. Specially now since I lost what ever issue of Nintendo Power it was that had the map in it. Even with a physical map it can be hard some times.

Imagine if they got the same team to do the cut scenes for it. Would love to see the Metroid hatching shot to that level. Some one with psychic powers needs to plant that idea in Sakamoto's brain right now.
Would be cool to relive it. Another hope I have is that there would be a clearer delineation of Metroid evolution and a bigger difference in each of the stages' encounters. I enjoy the individual fights with each Metroid, but it'd be cool to have each one be a particular setpiece moment, instead of a handful of creatures that each repeat a few times.

Talking about it like this seems a little off topic in this thread, though. I'll stop now before I bring us further into a GAF/faqs combo world :lol

God bless Costco. But honestly, this game definitely caters to my exploration side. After I clear an area of enemies, I'm always going in FPS mode to see if I'm missing anything at all. So good.

Some of the forced over the shoulder action is too long though. Not necessary at all.

The game definitely needs more Metroid fanfare though. Definitely disappointed by the lack of it.

Kard8p3

donkey show said:
God bless Costco. But honestly, this game definitely caters to my exploration side. After I clear an area of enemies, I'm always going in FPS mode to see if I'm missing anything at all. So good.

Some of the forced over the shoulder action is too long though. Not necessary at all.

The game definitely needs more Metroid fanfare though. Definitely disappointed by the lack of it.

From what I've seen the biggest problem with the over the shoulder sections is your forced to walk slowly. If they'd let you run resident evil style in those sections I'm guessing they'd be better off.

Jazzy Network said:
Saw the game in action first hand for about 3 hours. Safe to say, I cancelled my preorder.

Just out of curiosity what during those 3 hours turned you away?

Kard8p3 said:
From what I've seen the biggest problem with the over the shoulder sections is your forced to walk slowly. If they'd let you run resident evil style in those sections I'm guessing they'd be better off.

Just out of curiosity what during those 3 hours turned you away?

The puzzles are some of the worst "puzzles" I have ever seen. The action is poor and bland. The voice acting is god awful. The cutscenes were far too long. Controls seemed awful. I wasn't playing it, but I really didn't need to.

Diffense

I found this section of the Kotaku review interesting:

The game's first hour, which gives a poor and misleading impression of the game in various ways, implies that the game is going to be a chatty, team-based affair. Worse, it seems like it will be an over-narrated team-based affair that replaces the series' winning scheme of lonely exploration and combat with a lot of jawing with and reminiscing about a cast of stock military cliches who wear armor. Thankfully, that's not really how this goes down. The supporting cast fades and winds up reappearing only too infrequently. The rare moments when Samus gets to fight with another soldier at her side are tantalizing hints of what a team-based Metroid game could be like. I finished the game wanting, I'm surprised to say, more of that.

I guess it's not surprising that the pacing at the beginning is different from the meat of the game.
This goes along with what the metroid-databse said about cutscene frequency.
So far I've read MDB, Kotaku and Wired reviews to get me through the wait.

kiryogi

Banned
Diffense said:
I found this section of the Kotaku review interesting:

I guess it's not surprising that the pacing at the beginning is different from the meat of the game.
This goes along with what the metroid-databse said about cutscene frequency.
So far I've read MDB, Kotaku and Wired reviews to get me through the wait.

The meat of the game is more or less like fusion. It's been said a ton of times. This is Fusion on steroids. As you get further, you'll hear less and less from Adam apparently to the point where you'll be exploring for yourself on how to get to places.

Diffense

kiryogi said:
The meat of the game is more or less like fusion. It's been said a ton of times. This is Fusion on steroids. As you get further, you'll hear less and less from Adam apparently to the point where you'll be exploring for yourself on how to get to places.

That's fine news.

Teknoman

Jazzy Network said:
The puzzles are some of the worst "puzzles" I have ever seen. The action is poor and bland. The voice acting is god awful. The cutscenes were far too long. Controls seemed awful. I wasn't playing it, but I really didn't need to.

You probably should've tried the game yourself before commenting on controls.

Top Bottom