• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

[Nintex]

What I'm mostly worried about is the fact that the game doesn't seem complicated in the footage shown so far, now this works at the start but I'd be pretty dissapointed if all morphball parts are as simplistic as shown in the Giantbomb Quicklook and if the game itself also has fairly basic environments in terms of lay-out. I haven't seen anything that blew me away like Phendrana Drifts or even Brinstar. I've only seen square space halls with or without decoration.

Kard8p3

[Nintex] said:
What I'm mostly worried about is the fact that the game doesn't seem complicated in the footage shown so far, now this works at the start but I'd be pretty dissapointed if all morphball parts are as simplistic as shown in the Giantbomb Quicklook and if the game itself also has fairly basic environments in terms of lay-out. I haven't seen anything that blew me away like Phendrana Drifts or even Brinstar. I've only seen square space halls with or without decoration.

What I've seen doesn't really seem less complicated than the 2D games. Sakamoto's previous Metroid games didn't really have any complicated morphball sections so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't get too complicated here.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Played for around two hours so far.

+ Am enjoying the game play. Everything goes very fast and I have found it extremely easy to get used to the control scheme.
+ No waggle!
+ Despite being mostly-linear, it does feel like a bit of Metroidvania is there when searching for items. It reminds of Metroid Fusion in its linearity. *
- Too much storyline. Some of the cut scenes just drag on too long and break up the flow of the action. It's not exactly a blast running down empty corridors then watching dialogue or a flashback for five minutes.
- You really can just furiously tap the d-pad during enemy encounters and dodge everything.
+ But some enemies cannot be killed by dodging and shooting!

In some ways, the game feels like "My first Ninja Gaiden." It plays like a simplified version of the Team Ninja-developed action series. Other M hasn't been difficult, but has been fun. If an action-oriented Metroid (and seriously, one that at times feels a little too much like Ninja Gaiden) sounds good to you, you'll probably like this. Just be prepared for an abundance of (stupid) cut scenes.

I'd say that this is a "B" game so far and to wait for a price drop, but it's a Nintendo game, so that probably isn't going to happen for a couple of years...if at all, LOL.

* Regarding the lack of an exploration element, it is still there...sort of. A lot of power-up items for Samus to find are hidden in spots that you'll either need to veer off the path to find or have certain abilities active to reach. A lot of people referred to Batman Arkham Asylum as being a Metroidvania style game, which I did not agree with-- that game held your hand the whole way through and the only "exploration" element was to find the optional audio tapes and the like. This game is the same way, yet people seem to be whining about it too much. This is not a traditional Metroid game...either accept it and enjoy it for what it is, or just pass on it and go replay Super Metroid instead.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Oh, and I started replaying Metroid Fusion last night. I never played much of that game and decided to start over and go through it. It definitely reminds of me of Other M in its pacing and the way that areas are separated into specific types by number.

heringer

Kard8p3 said:
This guy seems impressed. He even thought the story for the game was good. I'm glad he mentioned the game opened up a bit more later in the game. Since Fusion did the same I expected this game to do it but to have it confirmed is nice. Still can't wait to get my hands on this game.
I don't know if the story will be any good, but I doubt it is as bad as some people are making out to be.

Amir0x said:
yeh this thread isn't right because it has negativity!

This thread got fucked up because it was all the pages debating back and forth about sexism.

I wasnt talking about negativity, I was saying the play thing because of the sexism debacle. When more people play it, even if ithey think its good or bad, this thread will turn better.

Kard8p3

heringer said:
I don't know if the story will be any good, but I doubt it is as bad as some people are making out to be.

Yeah I figured most were blowing the story out of proportion. Just from what I've seen it's not nearly as bad as people have said.

Got my grubby paws on Metroid Fusion from a local mom and pops store, I feel that if I play through this one while waiting for Other M, I may appreciate its style more rather than hoping for another Super Metroid, or even Prime.

kiryogi

Banned
Schattenjagger said:
For people that have played it, can I expect some classic metroid music in this? Please spoiler proof your answer. I really need to hear some brinstar remixes.

Not much, Like 2 or 3 tracks? Everything else is new

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:
Got my grubby paws on Metroid Fusion from a local mom and pops store, I feel that if I play through this one while waiting for Other M, I may appreciate its style more rather than hoping for another Super Metroid, or even Prime.

Go ahead and play through it.

Kard8p3 said:
Go ahead and play through it.

I am. And it is fucking awesome. The atmosphere and music is really great so far. I'm already having a blast with it and I'm just now getting to the Quarantine Bay :lol

Hiltz

I'm not familiar with it, but D+PAD Magazine's review of Other M is 4.5 out 5 score. It didn't have anything bad to say about it other than the a nitpick of the game's length not offering much replay value given that its strictly a single player game.

Whoops, already been mentioned here.

[Nintex]

brandonh83 said:
I am. And it is fucking awesome. The atmosphere and music is really great so far. I'm already having a blast with it and I'm just now getting to the Quarantine Bay :lol
Metroid Fusion is an awesome game, tons of bosses a great atmosphere and top notch action. In preparation for Other M however, I'm playing some Ninja Gaiden II and that is hardcore awesomeness in a whole different way.

Spoilers
This game
is like a poor remake of metroid fusion in 3d. It has such a similar plot and toward the end it's like the exact same things happen. Even nightmare shows up, the bastard. Sakamoto totally pulled a Lucas here with the story. It sucks. A lot. Thoughout the game there are plenty of cutscenes that are just as terrible as the beginning. The dialogue is never good and fans of this story must have beyond awful taste. I find that combat is always a chore. Everything a new enemy shows up it's like, son of a bitch. Fights break down into this: Run around while attemping to avoid enemies until your charge fills up. Release the fire button and repeat. Controls never feel simplified. They feel restrictive. Having to go into first person to fire missiles is annoying. Not being able to choose when to fire missiles and when to do a charge shot is annoying. You may say you can choose but you have to hold B to look around. B also locks on. What the hell is this? You'll often lock onto something and be forced into firing missiles. AND THE CONCENTRATION. Dreadful. You never get any energy back from enemies so you have to pull this off to survive. But it takes forever to do and you can't move. During most boss fights it's nearly impossible to do. And with bosses often chaining shit together you'll be down to no health in a matter of seconds if you don't pull off perfect dodges. And another thing, holding the controller sideways is uncomfortable.

kiryogi

Banned
strx said:
Spoilers
This game
is like a poor remake of metroid fusion in 3d. It has such a similar plot and toward the end it's like the exact same things happen. Even nightmare shows up, the bastard. Sakamoto totally pulled a Lucas here with the story. It sucks. A lot. Thoughout the game there are plenty of cutscenes that are just as terrible as the beginning. The dialogue is never good and fans of this story must have beyond awful taste. I find that combat is always a chore. Everything a new enemy shows up it's like, son of a bitch. Fights break down into this: Run around while attemping to avoid enemies until your charge fills up. Release the fire button and repeat. Controls never feel simplified. They feel restrictive. Having to go into first person to fire missiles is annoying. Not being able to choose when to fire missiles and when to do a charge shot is annoying. You may say you can choose but you have to hold B to look around. B also locks on. What the hell is this? You'll often lock onto something and be forced into firing missiles. AND THE CONCENTRATION. Dreadful. You never get any energy back from enemies so you have to pull this off to survive. But it takes forever to do and you can't move. During most boss fights it's nearly impossible to do. And with bosses often chaining shit together you'll be down to no health in a matter of seconds if you don't pull off perfect dodges. And another thing, holding the controller sideways is uncomfortable.

Stop getting hit and maybe you won't have to recover as much. The sense move is extremely responsive. I was wishing at times they'd make it less lenient. You can literally dodge everything with ease. No issues holding it sideways either. It's not as bad as the original NES controller.

Hiltz

strx said:
Spoilers
This game

Anything good to say ? :lol

Seriously though, you may be right about Sakamoto pulling a George Lucas here. I'm getting that impression but its hard to really form an accurate thought given how polarizing the reviews are.

Looking back, it's not entirely bad. Certainly the worst metroid game, but not a bad game. I honestly have more bad things to say than good.

And kiryogi, did I personally offend you or something? Also, while it may be better than an NES controller it's not better than holding the the remote normally with a nunchuck. The decision to make it "simplified" was a bad one and that decision is not reflected in the design of the game as nearly everything would have benefited from proper controls.

kiryogi

Banned
strx said:
Looking back, it's not entirely bad. Certainly the worst metroid game, but not a bad game. I honestly have more bad things to say than good.

And kiryogi, did I personally offend you or something? Also, while it may be better than an NES controller it's not better than holding the the remote normally with a nunchuck. The decision to make it "simplified" was a bad one and that decision is not reflected in the design of the game as nearly everything would have benefited from proper controls.

Yeah. Count me in on the Other M defense force.

I think, given how careful Nintendo is with all their franchises, it's nice that they can use one to experiment with.
Even if it doesn't always turn out to be perfect.
Can't wait for Tuesday!
Still haven't gotten a call from Gamestop, though.

LowParry

Amir0x said:
yeh this thread isn't right because it has negativity!

This thread got fucked up because it was all the pages debating back and forth about sexism.

Was anyone not expecting that kind of argument? I mean c'mon. This is Team Ninja we're talking about.

kiryogi

Banned
CcrooK said:
Was anyone not expecting that kind of argument? I mean c'mon. This is Team Ninja we're talking about.

Except this was more Sakamoto than anything. If people saw the Iwata asks and etc. He outright says he sees Samus as his own daughter. Team Ninja was only there for the gameplay/action. The story, concepts and mechanics. That's all Sakamoto without a doubt.

Amir0x

Banned
CcrooK said:

Yeah I know.

I'm not sure how sexist the game is, but, it does annoy me that they're seemingly breaking up the gameplay of a Metroid game with a bunch of cutscenes. Was one of my initial fears, outside of tonal/gameplay issues.

Seems they got a lot of elements right, but that it's a low...low...tier Metroid game.

kiryogi

Banned
Bottom line that's been said many times and has been reinforced just earlier. This game is practically Metroid Fusion. IF you enjoyed Fusion, you will enjoy Other M.

I didn't really pick up on the sexism too much but it does give you the impression that
Samus is a traumitized little girl with no real experience on the field. Given everything we've come to know about Samus in the games, not the godawful manga, you'd think she would be a little tougher and be able to deal with things better than she did.

Also having things be authorized to use instead of finding them was utterly stupid.
Samus: I'm burning alive but I'll wait for Adam to say it's ok to use the Varia suit because I wouldn't want to disobey his orders.

kiryogi said:
Bottom line that's been said many times and has been reinforced just earlier. This game is practically Metroid Fusion. IF you enjoyed Fusion, you will enjoy Other M.

LIES. This game may be modeled after fusion but I would not say if you enjoyed fusion you'd enjoy other m.

Amir0x

Banned
kiryogi said:

I don't think Fusion broke up the gameplay with anywhere near the level of cutscenes this game has, nor does it have that iffy first person mechanic which at least half of reviewers seem to feel is a fairly significant control problem.

They may be equivalent in terms of pacing and linearity, but Other M still differentiates itself substantially by several of its features.

gdt

Amir0x said:
Seems they got a lot of elements right, but that it's a low...low...tier Metroid game.

:/

On a related note:

Does anyone know what Retro are doing besides DKCR?

Rumors? Leakes? Stolen trash?

LowParry

Amir0x said:
Yeah I know.

I'm not sure how sexist the game is, but, it does annoy me that they're seemingly breaking up the gameplay of a Metroid game with a bunch of cutscenes. Was one of my initial fears, outside of tonal/gameplay issues.

I haven't been following much. How bad are the cutscenes? I expect the voice acting to be terrible anyway. That was a quick note right from the trailers we've seen. The way Samus sounds is just so monotone. Meh. Should this just be a renter then? I'm starting to have some doubts about this game. I have plenty to look forward to and I wouldn't mind picking this game up later down the line. I'm making up for my lack of PSP time.

gdt5016 said:

On a related note:

Nothing concrete. HAL Laboratory has seen a few of their projects, but of course, can't say anything.

kiryogi

Banned
If anyone hasn't read MDB's review yet.

http://www.metroid-database.com/mom/review_Cap.php

The next thing you are probably wondering about are the cutscenes. Many fans worried there would be a million cutscenes and you couldn't play the game for more than five minutes without interruptions. Well, Metroid ain't Metal Gear, and honestly, there are only three parts of the game where there are a bunch of cutscenes - the very beginning, right smack in the middle, and the very end. You will literally play for hours without seeing much more than a short sequence. The cutscenes for the most part are well done. Samus is absolutely gorgeous, coming to life through D Rockets' magic with a gleam to her armor and a glint in her eye like you've never seen before. However, the NPCs leave a lot to be desired, and some of Samus' monologues feel redundant. As for the voice acting... Well, you'll either like it or you won't. The North American release has English, Spanish, and French with subtitles.

Socreges

Banned
kiryogi said:
Has anyone besides you actually said this? Doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Also, you bought DoA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, right? :D

farnham

Banned
Socreges said:

eh..... pretty much every review out there says its the closest to fusion actually

kiryogi

Banned
Socreges said:

Lyteedge just reinforced it earlier in terms of how the pacing is. And the MDB review states it too. Well more so linear in comparison but same ideas and pacing.

Socreges

Banned
farnham said:
eh..... pretty much every review out there says its the closest to fusion actually
I'm not saying otherwise. Closest to Fusion does not mean "this game is practically Metroid Fusion".

kiryogi said:
Lyteedge just reinforced it earlier in terms of how the pacing is. And the MDB review states it too. Well more so linear in comparison but same ideas and pacing.
Pacing, sure. But you've taken the comparison much further than that.

Anyway, we'll see. I loved Fusion. But that gives me no confidence. I do expect to enjoy Other M, but likely irrespective of why I was able to enjoy Fusion.

It's nothing like Fusion except that you're sent to different sections and it's super linear. I absolutely adore Fusion and this just isn't a solid game.

I've shouted at the TV for the sheer stupidity that authorizing weapons is several times. I'm running around in a fucking lava world for an hour before Adam finally says "Oh, you should probably activate your Varia Suit" which not only gives me better protection for the heat but also reduces the damage taken by enemies. Same with the different beam types as well - it just makes no fucking sense not to be able to use them. It's hilariously HORRIBLE.

Danielsan

Played it for a bit at a friend's place today.
Perhaps it isn't a bad game, but it certainly appears to be a very bad Metroid game.

Horrendous dialogue and so so voice acting. Uninspired and generally poor visuals. Controls that leave a lot, and I mean a lot, to be desired. Indicating "hidden items" on the map (what the fuck is wrong with you Team Ninja/Nintendo?). The stupidly contrived means of "unlocking" "new" items. The Pussyfication of Samus Aran.

I think I'm going to fire up Prime 1 to wash the bad taste from my mouth.
Definitely not worth a purchase as far as I'm concerned. Do yourself a favour and get the Prime Trilogy or just get Super Metroid and the GBA games.

gdt5016 said:

On a related note:

We'll probably find out in 2013:/

I was so disappointed when Nintendo announced Retro was working on a.. 2D Donkey Kong:/ Don't know, I'm already tired of these full price, full-fledged 2D games on home consoles, Mario last year and maybe Kirby this year would have been enough.

Top Bottom