• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Segata Sanshiro said:
Never tried it. Generally I don't even bother with the third installment in a series if I play through the first and don't care for it and try the second and don't care for it.

You should give it a try, it's a very different beast from the first two game. The controls are totally differents, the game is more action oriented, the levels are linear as hell. Outside the similar visuals it's nothing like the first two Prime game. I love the MP1 and 2, but I hate 3. So maybe it could be the opposite for you.

Nemesis_

RockmanWhore said:
You should give it a try, it's a very different beast from the first two game. The controls are totally differents, the game is more action oriented, the levels are linear as hell. Outside the similar visuals it's nothing like the first two Prime game. I love the MP1 and 2, but I hate 3. So maybe it could be the opposite for you.

This man does speak the truth. Although I love Prime 1 and 2 and only mildly like Prime 3 (instead of hate) =P

Gravijah

RockmanWhore said:

Segata Sanshibro said:
it's also a lot more linear than I'd like.

abcd

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Prime 3 was somewhat linear in comparison to the previous games, but it wasn't as if you would pass through each environment and never return. There was still backtracking (though it was possible to cut that down by using your ship) and a sense of exploration. I enjoyed all three Prime games quite a bit (with Prime 2 being my least favorite only because of the "purple dimension" or whatever it was called).

I wouldn't say Corruption is all that linear. It's certainly more so than the other two games, but it's also a bit less contrived than Echoes, and the game opens up in the second half. Except rather than travel between areas, you're travelling between worlds. If you consider the gunship docks as elevators, it's not much different in structure than Prime.

The thing with Corruption though is that once you acquire a new item, the path to the next item is often much shorter than in Prime, where often you would have to go all the way to the other side of Tallon IV. As a result it's a shorter and more streamlined game.

There's a greater focus on combat, yes, but not significantly so. Plus it doesn't have as many of those spots in Prime and Echoes where bullet sponge enemies later in the game slow backtracking down to a crawl.

The things Corruption got wrong were several underutilised items and simplified puzzles and bosses. After the stunning complexity of Echoes, Corruption came off feeling a bit like 'Metroid Lite.' At the same time, it still has some of the best environmental design in the series, as well as brilliant set-pieces and the best pacing. In some ways it's the most fun game in the Trilogy, even if it's not as complex or satisfying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid Prime will always be my Nintendian Half-Life game. Such a shame they killed that. Well, I guess it's a shame the creative leads all left Retro.

brandonh83 said:
I am glad that I am not someone who doesn't like Metroid Prime.
Indeed. For peeps like me and Dragona, it's been sixteen years since the last good Metroid game on home consoles. Looks like it'll be a while longer yet.

Anyway, if I happen to see MP3 in the bargain bins again sometime, I guess I'll fish one out and give it a go. For under ten bucks there's little to lose.

heringer

_Alkaline_ said:
I wouldn't say Corruption is all that linear. It's certainly more so than the other two games, but it's also a bit less contrived than Echoes, and the game opens up in the second half. Except rather than travel between areas, you're travelling between worlds. If you consider the gunship docks as elevators, it's not much different in structure than Prime.

The thing with Corruption though is that once you acquire a new item, the path to the next item is often much shorter than in Prime, where often you would have to go all the way to the other side of Tallon IV. As a result it's a shorter and more streamlined game.
It cuts down useless backtracking. To me it was a step in the right direction. It really helps the pacing.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Indeed. For peeps like me and Dragona, it's been sixteen years since the last good Metroid game on home consoles. Looks like it'll be a while longer yet.

:lol fair enough, man. fair enough. and with Dragona having such a hard time with Zelda... Nintendo franchises are not being kind to some of you folk!

brandonh83 said:
:lol fair enough, man. fair enough. and with Dragona having such a hard time with Zelda... Nintendo franchises are not being kind to some of you folk!
Yeah Zelda is killing Dragona. For me, I never really had much of a boner for Zelda, so they're all kind of the same chocolate muffin, except for Windwaker which pleased my eyes and punched my balls at the same time.

dark10x

heringer said:
It cuts down useless backtracking. To me it was a step in the right direction. It really helps the pacing.
I loved the backtracking myself as it really helps build a sense of place in the world. If the world were not interesting, back tracking would suck, but the Prime games feature such an incredible world that I enjoy moving back through them to find something new.

Obviously a lot of people disagreed with me on that.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Fusion and Zero Mission suffered because Nintendo seemingly forgot how Samus moves. Still fine games, but the feel of Samus in Super Metroid has yet to be replicated. Metroid Prime oddly was close, but then stuffed her into an insufferably long and boring game.

That's because they didn't have a run button. Which, is a lot less of a strain on my hands, with Super and having to press three buttons at the same time. But yeah, Super is still my favorite.

Metroid Prime isn't really that much longer than the other games, but it definitely feels that way. But if you didn't like Prime 1 or 2, I have a hard time believing you'd find the 3rd one any good.
Prime 1>Prime 2>>>Prime 3

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Rez said:
Metroid Prime will always be my Nintendian Half-Life game. Such a shame they killed that. Well, I guess it's a shame the creative leads all left Retro.

Man, I should replay Metroid Prime. I've got MP2 as well, but never bothered to finish it -- same goes for Corruption (which I should try to play through someday soon).

Oh, and I think I've got Super Metroid on Virtual Console, so that's also an option. What I'm trying to say is that I'm feeling like I should replay or finish one of those games before Other M but don't know which.

Chet Rippo said:
Metroid Prime isn't really that much longer than the other games

Prime is much longer than previous games in the series. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm just sayin'.

In fact only Echoes is longer in the entire series.

Rez said:
it's always a slap in the face when you realise the skip function is in there as a simple true/false in the code and their egos answered 'false'
Man, I fought this battle in the Assassin's Creed thread

I got called names for insinuating the developers were acting egotistical for not allowing it.

heringer

dark10x said:
I loved the backtracking myself as it really helps build a sense of place in the world. If the world were not interesting, back tracking would suck, but the Prime games feature such an incredible world that I enjoy moving back through them to find something new.

It's just too much. I agree that backtracking can really help to put you in the world, but Prme just overdo it, imo. Frequently traveling from one side to another of Tallon IV while fighting the same respawning enemies was not fun to me. Corruption still offer a decent ammount of backtracking without overdoing it and becoming boring.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rez said:

Pretty much. Even though I love direction and the style of Sakamoto's vision and Metroid's roots, Prime is basically my idea of Metroid in its most perfected form. The sounds, art, world, pacing, gamepay, design, music, atmosphere, story tellng, etc; its my image of Metroid.

Plus, in general, I consider Prime to be every which way as good as Nintendo's other revered classics like Mario Bros 3, Super Metroid, Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time.

Gravijah

EatChildren said:
Pretty much. Even though I love direction and the style of Sakamoto's vision and Metroid's roots, Prime is basically my idea of Metroid in its most perfected form. The sounds, art, world, pacing, gamepay, design, music, atmosphere, story tellng, etc; its my image of Metroid.

Plus, in general, I consider Prime to be every which way as good as Nintendo's other revered classics like Mario Bros 3, Super Metroid, Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time.

no smw or lttp?

smh

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:
no smw or lttp?

smh

I could spend all day making lists, but you know what I mean.

Chet Rippo said:
That's because they didn't have a run button. Which, is a lot less of a strain on my hands, with Super and having to press three buttons at the same time. But yeah, Super is still my favorite.

Metroid Prime isn't really that much longer than the other games, but it definitely feels that way. But if you didn't like Prime 1 or 2, I have a hard time believing you'd find the 3rd one any good.
Prime 1>Prime 2>>>Prime 3
I dunno, my first run through of Super Metroid was like, about 6 and a half hours. My first (and only) run through of Metroid Prime was like 13 or 14 hours. It's definitely longer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:

I replayed some of Echoes earlier today and I realized how important backtracking can be to building a really great, memorable world. I was in the Agon Wastes and took a wrong turn and ended up in a giant portal room before I was supposed to.

I mean, yes, I had to turn around and leave again, but it triggered such an awesome feeling. I remembered that room so clearly, like I'd played the game four or five days ago instead of four or five years ago. The fashionable thing to do nowadays is make sure we're always seeing a new room every five seconds, but games like the Metroid series or older Resident Evils hold such fond memories for me because they forced me to get to know an environment that some poor artists and designers slaved away at for months of their lives.

It's one of those things that video games can do better than any other medium, as far as I'm concerned. It's kind of why I like what Irrational and 2K Marin did with the Bioshock games. It's not necessarily about telling a story so much as it is inhabiting a space and feeling totally engrossed.

Fuck me, video games are great.

Rez said:
I replayed some of Echoes earlier today and I realized how important backtracking can be to building a really great, memorable world. I was in the Agon Wastes and took a wrong turn and ended up in a giant portal room before I was supposed to.

I mean, yes, I had to turn around and leave again, but it triggered such an awesome feeling. I remembered that room so clearly, like I'd played the game four or five days ago instead of four or five years ago. The fashionable thing to do nowadays is make sure we're always seeing a new room every five seconds, but games like the Metroid series or older Resident Evils hold such fond memories for me because they forced me to get to know an environment that some poor artists and designers slaved away at for months of their lives.

It's one of those things that video games can do better than any other medium, as far as I'm concerned. It's kind of why I like what Irrational and 2K Marin did with the Bioshock games. It's not necessarily about telling a story so much as it is inhabiting a space and feeling totally engrossed.

Fuck me, video games are great.

You know what's awesome?

Echoes. Echoes is awesome.

farnham

Banned
wsippel said:
Forget it, Matt's just trying to defend the inexcusable G4 review.
:lol :lol :lol

srsly i still cant decide which is more sad

the review itself or the g4 guys trying to defend it.

_Alkaline_ said:
You know what's awesome?

echoes was too hard and too complicated for its own good imo

contentwise its probably one of the biggest games ever created

itsinmyveins

Here's a question; I've got Prime and Echoes -- the Gamecube-versions -- and Corruption for Wii (obviously). Should I bother picking the Wii trilogy-pack up if I'm planning on replaying them? What's the incentive there? I honestly don't know how I'd feel about playing them with the Wii-mote, I think that maybe they fit better with the classic setup.

itsinmyveins said:
Here's a question; I've got Prime and Echoes -- the Gamecube-versions -- and Corruption for Wii (obviously). Should I bother picking the trilogy up if I'm planning on replaying them? What's the incentive there? I honestly don't know how I'd feel about playing them with the Wii-mote, I think that maybe they fit better with the classic setup.

Trilogy is pretty hard to find nowdays, but if you see it, absolutely pick it up. The IR doesn't add much to combat, since lock-on was practically essential in the first two games, but it makes exploring environments so much easier and smoother. You'll notice things you never saw before simply because you can look around and move at the same time, something which was not possible with the GC versions.

There's also widescreen if you're playing on a HDTV, plus added incentives like sound test, bonus art, slightly improved visuals, etc. But the controls are the money-melon. It's the definitive version.

luoapp

itsinmyveins said:
Here's a question; I've got Prime and Echoes -- the Gamecube-versions -- and Corruption for Wii (obviously). Should I bother picking the Wii trilogy-pack up if I'm planning on replaying them? What's the incentive there? I honestly don't know how I'd feel about playing them with the Wii-mote, I think that maybe they fit better with the classic setup.

YES,YES,YES!! Wiimote+nunchuck is the only way to play it.

itsinmyveins said:

The incentive would probably be 16:9 support, Wii controls and the ability to play them all off one disc without swapping systems. The games have been tweaked slightly to take into account the Wii controls and they play well, though obviously they were built to the GC control scheme so it's not a perfect match.

I did a full replay of all three games last year when the Trilogy came out and I'd definitely recommend it.

dark10x

itsinmyveins said:
The controls actually do enhance exploration as you can look around while moving.

When combined with widescreen support, the experience just feels more immersive. Well worth it.

itsinmyveins

_Alkaline_ said:
Trilogy is pretty hard to find nowdays, but if you see it, absolutely pick it up. The IR doesn't add much to combat, since lock-on was practically essential in the first two games, but it makes exploring environments so much easier and smoother. You'll notice things you never saw before simply because you can look around and move at the same time, something which was not possible with the GC versions.

They've got a bunch of copies down at a store pretty close to where I am now though >_>

EDIT: Ah, fuck, I'm so damn easy to convince when it comes to buying games..

itsinmyveins said:
They've got a bunch of copies down at a store pretty close to where I am now though >_>

12942d1256073725-2009-victorian-tree-climbing-championship-do-.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I was playing Trilogy for 16:9 support alone. I was surprised at how well the controls work on advanced, with lock-on freeaim turned off.

upandaway

_Alkaline_ said:
You know what's awesome?

Really fucking stupid bosses though.

Bosses in general are like a kick in the balls for me, but man Echoes was something special. Some of the worst bosses I have ever experienced.

I won't rank the games or anything (eeehhhhhhh) but Echoes definitely suffered from that. The light world was a nice change, being split up a little.

Edit: holy shit at people even MENTIONING that Prime and Echoes were built for the GC controller.

Who cares, the Wiimote controls are superior, end of sentence, period, exclamation mark, etc.

upandaway said:

Bosses in general are like a kick in the balls for me, but man Echoes was something special. Some of the worst bosses I have ever experienced.

I won't rank the games or anything (eeehhhhhhh) but Echoes definitely suffered from that. The light world was a nice change, being split up a little.
Really? I think well thought-out bosses can take a game from good to great.

upandaway said:

Dude,..the bosses are, like, one of the best things about the game. Only the morph ball puzzles can compare.

And one of the bosses is a fucking morph ball puzzle.

Holy shit echoes is awesome.

Danielsan

People who dislike the Prime games are weird.
Prime and Echoes are two of the greatest games of all time.
The original Prime may very well be my favourite Metroid game, though in many ways I actually think Echoes is an even better game.

I have yet to play Corruption due to the trailers giving me a bad vibe. I should rectify that sometime soon.

upandaway said:

Edit: holy shit at people even MENTIONING that Prime and Echoes were built for the GC controller.

Who cares, the Wiimote controls are superior, end of sentence, period, exclamation mark, etc.
Cry me a river. One of the reasons I love Echoes so much is the fantastic and extremely intense boss fights.

EatChildren

The Echoes bosses are great. Fusion ranks as some of the worst bosses in the series.

Synless

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sell me on why it's worth $80+ as opposed to $10 just to get another copy of two games I don't like.
Well, first it's still $50 in stores that have it. Second, playing with the Wii controls really does make the game much quicker. Combat is much more fast paced due to the difference in controls. Samus doesn't move like the tank she was using the Gamecube controller.

upandaway

_Alkaline_ said:
Dude,..the bosses are, like, one of the best things about the game. Only the morph ball puzzles can compare.

And one of the bosses is a fucking morph ball puzzle.

Holy shit echoes is awesome.
Let's agree to disagree then.

For me it was particularly the waiting time that I hated. Chykkra Larva and the Grapple Guardian both were ridiculously drawn out, I thank the lord I never died after getting them down 60%+ health.

Like I said I hate bosses in general so maybe I'm alone here. I still love Echoes.

I dunno, my first run through of Super Metroid was like, about 6 and a half hours. My first (and only) run through of Metroid Prime was like 13 or 14 hours. It's definitely longer.

Yeah, they are longer, I didn't deny that. But searching for power ups in the Prime games definitely more time consuming, especially the first time through.

The one thing I always hated in the Prime games were those artifacts/keys at the end of the game you had to get. I hated that.

upandaway said:

They were better than Prime 3. They were horribly boring and easy, namely the 2nd boss Helios. What a shitty, useless boss.

robor

Chet Rippo said:
They were better than Prime 3. They were horribly boring and easy, namely the 2nd boss Helios. What a shitty, useless boss.

Is that the dude with the red balls? Man that boss was BORING. I never finished the game because of it. UGH.

Top Bottom