• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney said:
Most of the R&D1 team that worked on Fusion and Zero Mision is on board sooo it's more first party than the Retro games that had Yamamoto and err Miyamoto.

hey... now you're just being stupid.

You should've gone with any of the 2d games if you wanted to get into the Metroid vibe though.

How is fully developed by Retro not first party?
o_O

And still no call from Gamestop!
NUUUUUUUUUUU!

Red

evilromero said:
Serious question- how is the ship flying any different than taking an elevator? It takes the same time (skippable even). Also, you're telling me you didn't like the amazing Rhundas boss battle? One of the best boss songs and the lead up to the fight was terrifying. I also LOVED the Metroid Lab in Prime 3. Still freaks me out. That is what the series is all about.
Ship sequences were more frequent. Might have had to do with the levels being more straightforward, so I wound up finishing each bite-sized section more quickly than I would have otherwise.

I did like the Metroid Lab at first, and I thought the phasing-Metroid idea was great, but it wound up being underutilized and the entire section was just a lot of repeating corridors. It got my hopes up only to send them crashing into the ground.

I don't even remember Rhundas, to be honest. Is he ice man? The fact that I forget speaks to his memorability.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
How is fully developed by Retro not first party?
o_O

And still no call from Gamestop!
NUUUUUUUUUUU!
2nd party. But with all the slaps Nintendo HQ had to make it's the closest to 1st that it can be.

Doesn't make it closer to Other M though.

pulga

Banned
evilromero said:
Serious question- how is the ship flying any different than taking an elevator? It takes the same time (skippable even). Also, you're telling me you didn't like the amazing Rhundas boss battle? One of the best boss songs and the lead up to the fight was terrifying. I also LOVED the Metroid Lab in Prime 3. Still freaks me out. That is what the series is all about.

Though I love Corruption, the ship had more of a psychological effect on my feelings on the "connectivity" of the worlds. Given it does act as a glorified elevator, the constant back and forth on it made each planet seem very disconnected, not to mention the overall feeling of "disjointedness" of the individual planets, making them not as memorable as Tallon and Aether. Can't even remember their names, excluding Bryyo.

Not to mention they wasted a whole fucking visor on the ship :mad:

Crunched said:
Ship sequences were more frequent. Might have had to do with the levels being more straightforward, so I wound up finishing each bite-sized section more quickly than I would have otherwise.

I did like the Metroid Lab at first, and I thought the phasing-Metroid idea was great, but it wound up being underutilized and the entire section was just a lot of repeating corridors. It got my hopes up only to send them crashing into the ground.

I don't even remember Rhundas, to be honest. Is he ice man? The fact that I forget speaks to his memorability.
He's the dude bashing your ship in. I'm in the minority then. I felt like Prime 3 (aside from the horrible Halo-like intro sequence on Norion) was the tightest of the Prime games.

evilromero said:
He's the dude bashing your ship in. I'm in the minority then. I felt like Prime 3 (aside from the horrible Halo-like intro sequence on Norion) was the tightest of the Prime games.

Actually that was Ghor.

Rundus was the ice guy who you beat to get the ice missiles.

Boney said:
2nd party. But with all the slaps Nintendo HQ had to make it's the closest to 1st that it can be.

Doesn't make it closer to Other M though.

Uh, what?
Retro is fully owned by Nintendo and staffed with Nintendo employees.
It's as first party and EAD.

itsinmyveins said:
Thanks for pushing me into buying a new Wii game, people.

33pcvn8.jpg

gee I wish I could find this for less than the sum of one billion dollars

_Alkaline_ said:
Actually that was Ghor.

Rundus was the ice guy who you beat to get the ice missiles.
Oh then I'm thinking of Rhundas music since that's the one I played on my iPod the most. I just confused him with the cooler boss battle. I love the Ghor battle. Very well done.

DragonGirl said:
My Looking Back at Metroid series is about to wrap up. I've covered everything from the original to Fusion and today's post was Super Metroid. The count down ends tomorrow with Looking Back at Fusion!
This is an incredible series of write ups. I can remember reading the Prime trilogy here on GAF but the others are equally good. Well done!

Red

evilromero said:
Eh, fair enough. I don't really remember the Rhundas fight. He throws your ship or something? I think he might spin like a top? I recall two things specifically about my boss encounters in Corruption: one, nearly every single boss had the same pattern of "bounce back projectiles, then hit big glowy weak spots;" two, there was some cool looking armored Metroid-beast that pops up out of nowhere (twice?), and the first time I saw it I got very excited (something different, thank fuck!)... and proceeded to beat it in literally four seconds. One shot, boom, dead. I remember just tossing my hands up and thinking, fuck/wat?

Crunched said:
Eh, fair enough. I don't really remember the Rhundas fight. He throws your ship or something? I think he might spin like a top? I recall two things specifically about my boss encounters in Corruption: one, nearly every single boss had the same pattern of "bounce back projectiles, then hit big glowy weak spots;" two, there was some cool looking armored Metroid-beast that pops up out of nowhere (twice?), and the first time I saw it I got very excited (something different, thank fuck!)... and proceeded to beat it in literally four seconds. One shot, boom, dead. I remember just tossing my hands up and thinking, fuck/wat?

I actually thought that was kind of awesome. One shot using the x-ray visor and they blow up. For me it was a pretty neat surprise that rewarded experimentation.

I mean it was a pretty WTF moment but a good one.

Red

_Alkaline_ said:
I actually thought that was kind of awesome. One shot using the x-ray visor and they blow up. For me it was a pretty neat surprise that rewarded experimentation.

I mean it was a pretty WTF moment but a good one.
I didn't know there was any trick to it. I just thought it was a cocktease, like someone thought it would be hilarious to
finally
set up a decent boss fight, something challenging, and then take it all away in an instant, shouting "haha, got you, you fucker!"

Crunched said:
I didn't know there was any trick to it. I just thought it was a cocktease, like someone thought it would be hilarious to
finally
set up a decent boss fight, something challenging, and then take it all away in an instant, shouting "haha, got you, you fucker!"

I'm sure it's not all bad. You would've liked the Balrog Ridley fight, no?

upandaway

itsinmyveins said:
Thanks for pushing me into buying a new Wii game, people.

33pcvn8.jpg
:lol the posts we are seeing at the official Other M thread

I just saw the Ridley cutscene so -> skipping. It's a bit of a shame but I really don't think these cutscenes are bearable.
Are the cutscenes skippable? If so I may consider it when it's a bit cheaper.

Peff

upandaway said:
:lol the posts we are seeing at the official Other M thread

I just saw the Ridley cutscene so -> skipping. It's a bit of a shame but I really don't think these cutscenes are bearable.
Are the cutscenes skippable? If so I may consider it when it's a bit cheaper.

Only the second time, I think, so you could always download a save file...

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
Uh, what?
Retro is fully owned by Nintendo and staffed with Nintendo employees.
It's as first party and EAD.
Isn't that what 2nd Party means? A fully owned studio that works outside the parent company.
They share different design philosophies.
Same case as with Rare no?

Red

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm sure it's not all bad. You would've liked the Balrog Ridley fight, no?
Yeah, that was great. That was fantastic. One of the best sequences in the series, let alone the game.

But it's all downhill from there.

Question, I've never ordered from Gamestop.com and selected overnight shipping; will I get this on the actual release date or the day after?

Snaku

Banned
brandonh83 said:
gee I wish I could find this for less than the sum of one billion dollars

Yeah, I got lucky finding a copy at Kmart last week. They're my go to place for out of print games; nobody shops there. :lol

Pretty dick move by NoA discontinuing the game less than a half year after release.

Crunched said:
Yeah, that was great. That was fantastic. One of the best sequences in the series, let alone the game.

But it's all downhill from there.

You gotta admit, the purple bitch wasn't bad either. It was pretty fun duking it out in acid rain facing a copy of everyone, including yourself.

Boney said:
Isn't that what 2nd Party means? A fully owned studio that works outside the parent company.
They share different design philosophies.
Same case as with Rare no?

No.
An example of a 2nd Party Studio would be Monolith soft, who Nintendo owns a Majority of, but it still allowed to develop games for other companies.
Retro is under the full control of Nintendo.

Red

_Alkaline_ said:
You gotta admit, the purple bitch wasn't bad either. It was pretty fun facing a copy of everyone you've faced, including yourself.
I was looking forward to that fight, thinking it would be a lot more impressive than it actually was. Fighting yourself wasn't as cool as it could have been, considering Dark Samus was a constant threat. As for the rest of her mimics, they were all pretty similar. I expected more creativity. It was also really easy, a lot of jump dodging and that's about it. I remember she transforms into ice man, a bionicle, and Samus. Is there anyone else?
Crescendo170 said:
Hmm, where is this? I don't remember anything like that.
First time is when you walk into a big cylindrical room. It just flies up from a big hole in the ground and proceeds to explode as you breathe in its direction.

It's not the best description but I can't remember much about the game. There's a lot of machinery around, I thinking it's probably 3/4 of the way through the game, maybe a little bit before. It appears again later, either on the abandoned ship or pirate homeworld but I'm not positive about exactly where.

Crunched said:

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
No.
An example of a 2nd Party Studio would be Monolith soft, who Nintendo owns a Majority of, but it still allowed to develop games for other companies.
Retro is under the full control of Nintendo.
Ok. You're the expert here.

Crunched said:
I was looking forward to that fight, thinking it would be a lot more impressive than it actually was. Fighting yourself wasn't as cool as it could have been, considering Dark Samus was a constant threat. As for the rest of her mimics, they were all pretty similar. I expected more creativity. It was also really easy, a lot of jump dodging and that's about it. I remember she transforms into ice man, a bionicle, and Samus. Is there anyone else?

Might be remembering wrong but I think she turns into a Beserker Lord too - the giant space pirates you encounter a few times.

I think there's two or three of them, the first you meet in the Pirate Homeworld. There's another one on Norion too which guards an expansion. They look like Hunter Metroids but larger and with more tentacles.

Snaku said:
Pretty dick move by NoA discontinuing the game less than a half year after release.

Yeah, that's why I figured I'd have time to pick it up. I had just played through MP3 and portions of the first two around the time the trilogy was released and didn't feel any urgency in getting it when it came out.

And then when I actually got interested in getting it and had some spending money to throw out, that's when I can't seem to track it down.

Nemesis_

After finishing Other M, I'm inspired to finish all the games (except Return of Samus, it's awful and I'd rather wait for the remake that's coming to re-experience it.)

1 Hour and 30 Minutes later I'm on my way to Mother Brain in Zero Mission. Don't remember the games being this short, to be honest. =P

Red

_Alkaline_ said:
Might be remembering wrong but I think she turns into a Beserker Lord too - the giant space pirates you encounter a few times.
I don't recall. I know the guys you're talking about, though.

I think my biggest problem with the fight was how similarly each boss was dealt with. It essentially made each of her transformations play out the same, like reskins of the same thing over and over.

To me, it felt like for some reason Retro had more freedom to craft encounters when they were dealing with the constraints of the Gamecube controller. Corruption felt gimmicky all the way through, pushing motion controls to the point of amplifying their flaws, shoehorning them into boss fights by repeating the one thing they're known for over and over again (free aiming, at big glowing orbs in the case of Corruption) instead of crafting an experience that highlighted the game itself. If you look at the battles in Echoes, you see these huge, multi-stage bosses that each required a different strategy, but if you look at the battles in Corruption, which are huge, sometimes, yes, what you mostly see are plodding giants with easily identifiable weak spots, some large, easy-to-hit projectiles, a plate that must be grappled away occasionally, and sometimes a shockwave attack. It's just the same thing, over and over, except for maybe two or three standouts.

Snaku said:

When the game was announced they said it was going to be a limited print run. From day one they basically said buy this while you can, cause once its gone that's it. How is that a dick move?

Snaku

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Yeah, that's why I figured I'd have time to pick it up. I had just played through MP3 and portions of the first two around the time the trilogy was released and didn't feel any urgency in getting it when it came out.

And then when I actually got interested in getting it and had some spending money to throw out, that's when I can't seem to track it down.

Yeah, I found myself in the same situation, and even passed on the game in November-ish when it was on sale at Target for $30 (that was so stupid) because I was kinda burnt out on the Prime games.

Shin Johnpv said:
When the game was announced they said it was going to be a limited print run. From day one they basically said buy this while you can, cause once its gone that's it. How is that a dick move?

While I hadn't heard this statement at the time, I still wouldn't have taken it seriously even if I had. Limited Editions in the video game industry are an absolute joke, and most can easily be acquired years after release for msrp or less. The only LE that's ever truly lived up to the title has been MGS3 Subsistence LE.

It's a dick move for people that would like to play Metroid Prime 1 & 2 with Corruption controls. They gave gamers a 5 month window to buy in, and that's that.

Nemesis_

Shin Johnpv said:

A good point. It also had LIMITED EDITION plastered all over the box in every region.

Damn this thread moves too fast! XD

At least the last couple of pages have been praising the Prime series! <3

Sucks that I(European) wont get the game tomorrow... Such a looong time till friday!

upandaway said:
I just saw the Ridley cutscene so -> skipping.
LOL. Right after that is one of the best boss fights in Metroid. You guys are crazy.

I will admit though that my next playthrough on hard will be much better with the cutscene skipping. :lol

Crunched said:
I don't recall. I know the guys you're talking about, though.

I think my biggest problem with the fight was how similarly each boss was dealt with. It essentially made each of her transformations play out the same, like reskins of the same thing over and over.

To me, it felt like for some reason Retro had more freedom to craft encounters when they were dealing with the constraints of the Gamecube controller. Corruption felt gimmicky all the way through, pushing motion controls to the point of amplifying their flaws, shoehorning them into boss fights by repeating the one thing they're known for over and over again (free aiming, at big glowing orbs in the case of Corruption) instead of crafting an experience that highlighted the game itself. If you look at the battles in Echoes, you see these huge, multi-stage bosses that each required a different strategy, but if you look at the battles in Corruption, which are huge, sometimes, yes, what you mostly see are plodding giants with easily identifiable weak spots, some large, easy-to-hit projectiles, a plate that must be grappled away occasionally, and sometimes a shockwave attack. It's just the same thing, over and over, except for maybe two or three standouts.

Absolutely agree.

I've consistently said that, as good as Corruption can be, there are some things about it that were pretty disappointing - namely the boss fights and the way in which several items were underutilised.

You've already explained the first one well, so I'll talk about the second one. I think all three Prime games struggled to make the most of some their items (and in some cases the games tended to overely on a select few - namely the elemental beams in Prime and the grapple lasso in Corruption) but Corruption was definitely the biggest culprit in this regard.

While it did very well with some items - though overused, the grapple lasso was pretty genius, the stacking of beams was a welcomed addition, the ice missiles were a clever addition to platforming, after a meh start in Echoes the screw attack finally shone in 3D, among others - it definitely had a few that were shockingly underused. Ship missiles were barely ever used, which made collecting expansions for them rather bewildering. The Hyper Ball was used only a few times. X-Ray visor. The grapple energy overload thingo. There were a couple of others too. It just felt like Retro weren't given enough time to make use of them, or something. Too much ambition and not enough substance.

Magicpaint said:
This is an incredible series of write ups. I can remember reading the Prime trilogy here on GAF but the others are equally good. Well done!

Thank you very much! I plan on doing something similar for Other M after I've had time to sit with it for a while.

Boney

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Thank you very much! I plan on doing something similar for Other M after I've had time to sit with it for a while.
Enjoyed them as well. The second page was very filleriphic, but it's so nice to look back on Super. How come you didn't get to review Other M? :(

Crunched said:
finally

I question this. The Metroid Hatcher you are describing makes three appearances and the very first one is before you get the X-ray/Plasma combo. You couldn't one shot it and had to fight it the hard way.

dr_octagon said:
Echoes has been likened to the majora's mask of the prime series. I enjoyed the difficulty, the dark world could have been better (as it was just a mirror) and not too fond of the ammo system but it was still a great game.

Corruption is seen as the weakest of the three but in an amazing series that doesn't make it mediocre. It left the trilogy on a good note and showed how the wii remote controls could be more than just waggle. Don't read the following if you have not played Corruption -
the first encounter with Ridley, falling down the tunnel, was a great boss fight.
It added to the series but not quite as groundbreaking as people may have hoped.

The Prime series should be a lesson for some, they raised the bar and it wasn't just a FPS. The way the story was told, the design, the gameplay and music was amazing and still holds up today.

@Magicpaint - I agree all three games have a unique feel
@_Alkaline_ - that's true and adds a lot to the story telling

Is Corruption really seen as the weakest. I thought it went Prime>Prime 3> Prime 2 in general love.

Snaku said:
While I hadn't heard this statement at the time, I still wouldn't have taken it seriously even if I had. Limited Editions in the video game industry are an absolute joke, and most can easily be acquired years after release for msrp or less. The only LE that's ever truly lived up to the title has been MGS3 Subsistence LE.

It's a dick move for people that would like to play Metroid Prime 1 & 2 with Corruption controls. They gave gamers a 5 month window to buy in, and that's that.

Just because other companies LE's aren't limited and you didn't believe Nintendo when they said it was going to be limited, it's their fault?

I agree it sucks you can't get it at most stores easily. Fully understand that. I didn't expect them to keep producing the steel book case and all that though. Maybe if enough people bitch and complain they'll release it in standard packaging.

I do think it was lame for them to only produce it for a few months, but I can't call it a dick move since they did say from the start it would be a limited run.

Now what Best Buy pulled with the Lord of the Rings Bluray pre-order that was a fucking dick move. Since they never said it would be limited to like 5 copies per store. They run this big advertising thing in their weekly circular, never hint to it being limited to such a small number. I go in the day after they start taking pre-orders and get told they're already sold out, each store was only getting 5 and they sold out with in minutes. That's a dick move, least Nintendo told people Trilogy was going to be limited.

You can still find a ton of them on Ebay you just need to pay a little bit more than MSRP.

MiamiWesker said:
Is Corruption really seen as the weakest. I thought it went Prime>Prime 3> Prime 2 in general love.

I liked Prime 2 more. Corruption was really good I just had more personal flaws with it.

Top Bottom